What is so wrong about NAC?

nac

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 AOIministrator

• 30 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 June 2020 - 08:23 PM

So as you know a lot of preliminary research has been done on NAC, as it has on piracetam. But what is the downside?

In short: no one really knows.

I have been abusing stimulants in the past and I also suffer from being a part time alcoholic (Iike many people probably).

This has lead me to notice vascular issues more intensely than maybe the average person would. And my system has also grown weak spots. I also suffer from PVCs, that is double as intense heartbeats every 4th beat or so, or in other words high pulse pressures.

On my road to recovery, I have done a lot of exercise: bicycling dozens of miles, strength training 3x a week mostly.

As you can see, this puts stress on the cardiovascular system beyond what people usually experience who take part in studies.

In this time, I have taken NAC on and off for weeks and month because it helps, or supposedly helps with some of the issues.

And although NAC is good for most things short term, what is most concerning to me is long-term side effects.

Those are mainly noticable to me in the form of strange pressure headaches and weird, yet very alarming sensations in my brain. As if vessel strength has been impaired.

I began to research this and it turns out that NAC is a potent inhibitor of the Van Willebrand Factor. A coagulation factor that is responsible for blood vessel repair that also happens to be the the primary indicator of alarming aneuryrism activity.

Or in other words: The Van Willebrand factor makes sure that damaged vessels receive adequate reinforcement if they are weakened and compromised.

Now if you read the studies, it is all about ishemic attacks and fucked up clogged up brains that seemingly see improvements on the short run.

But you have to ask yourself: what's on the long run for healthy people? If NAC knowingly impairs vessel repairs, how do you know it might not grow aneuyrisms as a side effect and pop them over the course of 5 or 10 or 20 years?

This is exactly the same issue as you face with acidic drain cleaners: Yes, maybe it unclogs your sink. But then if you pour this stuff down the drain 20 and 200 times, it will probably burn holes in your pipes and fuck them up beyond repair.

Be cautious, peace.

• Good Point x 2

#2 pamojja

• 2,233 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 10:31 AM

Those are mainly noticable to me in the form of strange pressure headaches and weird, yet very alarming sensations in my brain. As if vessel strength has been impaired.

Never had such or any side-effects, used NAC regularly at in average 700 mg/d for 11 years. Initially started comprehensive supplementation because of a walking-disabilty from PAD with an 80% blocked non-aneuyristic stenosis at my abdominal aorta. Meanwhile in remission.

Addtional remissions from COPD I and ME/CFS symptoms. An old stroke in my cerebelium was also found, where I don't even remember its occurance. Must have been as a toddler.

I began to research this and it turns out that NAC is a potent inhibitor of the Van Willebrand Factor.

Does it also do that in vivo with all water- and fat-soluble vitamins, essential mineral, amino-acids and phytonutrients provided plenty? Or only in-vitro, without the whole web of interdependencies, also with internal enzym-systems?

• Good Point x 1
  • Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Oakman

Posted 29 June 2020 - 12:53 PM

I've taken NAC for lengthy periods (months and months over years) without any negative side effects (that I can notice), and certainly those that you mention. And looking at WebMD's listing for NAC (certainly one of the most conservative health websites) shows a long, long list of probable and possible positive effects. Negatives listed are: if you are allergic to NAC, have asthma, or bleeding disorder, take nitroglycerin, or are about to go into surgery...an almost negligible list compared to most supplements.

For a relatively healthy person, there appears to be almost no downside to NAC supplementation. Just saying.

• Informative x 2

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nac

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users