• 6,214 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 10:52 PM

virii

*shudder*

A spelling teacher just died somewhere.

#32 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 11:19 PM

Duke, you may or may not know that I'm an Aussie. I don't play games but thought I would share a review for the XBOX360 version of prey in the local print version of the AGE newspaper, considering you will most likely not get to read the review otherwise. I'm typing so please disregard the spelling mistakes.....

Games with protracted and troubled development usually dissapoint but 10 years after it's genesis, Prey is a suprisingly entertaining rollercoaster. As reluctant Cherokee hero Tommy, players soon find themselves lost in the bowels of a spaceship battling aliens intent on devouring mankind. In the crisis, Tommy is forced to embrace his spirituality and starts smoking crack and shooting up heroin----scrap that last sentence I added it in myself------In the crisis, Tommy is forced to embrace his spirituality, learning how to breifly leave his body to wander through force fields unscathed and even to cheat death. It might be the kind of sci-fi corridor-based shoot-'em up you have played many times but this is enlivened by clever level design and satisfying weapons. Gravity-defying walkways and switches that flip environments 90 degrees or even upside down provide opportunities to negotiate obsticles and access new areas. Portals are also smartly utilised, particularly a memorable Alice in Wonderland tribute. Multi-player action is gerneric but the game offers terrific maps. 3.5/5

10 years in the making. I hear that the budget for video games these days is similar to that seen with blockbuster movies i.e 20 million +. Is that true?

#33 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 11:40 PM

QUOTE (jaydfox)
*shudder*

A spelling teacher just died somewhere.

I know dude. I also recall I said "here! here!" When it should be "hear! hear!"

I'm much better with my grammar. [lol]

sponsored ad

• Advert

#34 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 11:46 PM

QUOTE (zoolander)
Duke, you may or may not know that I'm an Aussie. I don't play games but thought I would share a review for the XBOX360 version of prey in the local print version of the AGE newspaper, considering you will most likely not get to read the review otherwise. I'm typing so please disregard the spelling mistakes.....

10 years in the making. I hear that the budget for video games these days is similar to that seen with blockbuster movies i.e 20 million +. Is that true?

The processing power on an XBOX is a total joke compared to modern video cards...that's not to mention CPU power...but anyways

I'd ignore that review, and focus on quality output from Dudes like Kyle Bennett from HardOCP who have real credibility in the industry:

http://console.hardo...CxoY29uc29sZQ==

The Bottom Line
Prey’s innovative game play, though somewhat on the short side, is well worth your money. There is a demo available on the Xbox Live Marketplace that features 5 single player levels and two multiplayer maps. If you doubt our recommendation, please download the demo, give it a whirl and then run out and grab the full game. You’ll be glad you did.

#35 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 11:55 PM

Oh, I didn't read the whole review, but 3.5/5 is a diss in my book. That's why I said ignore that review.

Here is a link to the HardOCP dudes' views: http://console.hardo...CxoY29uc29sZQ==

#36 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 12:05 AM

QUOTE (nootropikamil)
I can't wait until the full version is available.

The PC full version of the game is already available in stores...geez, I've only played 30 minutes of the demo...I would have thought we would have heard of this right when it came out as a demo...

http://www.amazon.co...glance&n=468642

http://www.walmart.c...duct_id=4026005

#37 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 12:16 AM

QUOTE (nootropikamil)
The processing power on an XBOX is a total joke compared to modern video cards...that's not to mention CPU power...but anyways

I don't know that I'd jump off and call the XBox 360 a joke, especially if we're bringing price into the picture. But, I've never been a console gamer, and I don't see myself ever being one.

Note: I've yet to play a XBox 360, I'm just going off the specs on paper.

#38 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 01:07 AM

For the price, the XBox 360 is a good deal, at least for the hardware. However, once you take into consideration the OS/software lock-in (short of chip mods, etc.), I'd stick with a PC myself. But I don't have budget for either, so it's mostly an academic question at this point, with no real-world application, so to speak.

#39 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 06:09 AM

There is no way you'll get frame rates and visual quality like a modern graphics card/driver set can deliver...some of these cards cost $600...more than basically any CPU available on the market...check out this "water cooled" card...

http://www.anandtech...aspx?i=2737&p=3

My point is...computers are pretty powerful these days. In my old computered out days...I'd turn off all those unnecessary crappy Windows accessory services... something similar to this in "gaming" mode...

After following an XP installation similar to this...I'd basically run a few tricks to make my computer tweaked out JUST to play a game for a while. I'd run a few benchmarks, find some stable settings, then get myself situated for a few quality hours of gaming. I haven't spend a few hours gaming for a couple of years...and quite a few XP installations ago. I'm looking forward to getting the full version of Prey and figuring out this 1300 XT I got...I picked a mid range graphics card for my new box figuring I might play a game or two again...I guess this is my chance...

#40 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 12:40 PM

It seems like you're arguing for the X Box.

As an average, I'd say the factory overclock cards will push further than the regular version. With these newest cards, I haven't found that to be the case, however.

#41 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 08:27 PM

I am not sure what you are saying.

#42 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 10:11 PM

"some of these cards cost $600"
"I'd basically run a few tricks to make my computer tweaked out JUST to play a game for a while. "

These are common arguments for consoles.

#43 Matt

• Topic Starter
  • 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 August 2006 - 09:50 AM

I can't ever keep up with the graphics cards that get released, but I think it's one of the components that I find myself most often upgrading...

Anyway, the X850XT P.E runs prety demo great...

Hoping to buy the full game when ever I have some money =/

Edited by Matt, 05 August 2006 - 10:05 AM.

#44 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 07:15 AM

This dude is great -- straight to the point, no nonsense! You can see the caliber of dedication and quality of a member of the 3d realms team in this short clip. I wonder if Paul Schuytema still works with 3d Realms. Duke? Wait -- did Paul work with 3d realms or one of the other companies that helped develop Prey?

This is from 1998 and Paul is running a Voodoo 2! LOL.

If you haven't seen this, check this out:

http://video.google....=interview prey

#45 123456

• 295 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 02:42 AM

I haven't played the demo, saw the screen shots, graphics seem pretty nice in the game. The spirit mode or whatever it is, seemed eerily familiar when I heard of it. I played a game long time ago called "Soul Reaver", never could beat that game(Got stuck on the first head boss, one of his demon brothers). It was the first to my knowledge which had the idea of a soul mode, like in "Prey" the main character also couldn't die, because he was a demon, very fun creepy game that was.

All I can say Mr. Dukenukem I enjoyed quite a few games when I was younger which your company made in the past i.e Wolfenstein, Duke Nukem. Didn't play Max Payne much or at all, althought I had the opportunity to; It did have very original ideas in it like slowing down time, that was wicked. [thumb] Out of the three games mentioned directly above I would say I enjoyed Dukenukem ("Time To Kill" if I can remember the title accurately) the most. His character kicks ass, and that version had catchy music too; "I won't become the thing I hate....I won't become you...you make me sick you piece of ...", man I remembered a bit of that song still after so many years.

Edit: Spelling.

Edited by 123456, 28 September 2006 - 09:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users