• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Non-neurotoxic alternative to DMSO as a solvent?

dmso bbb solvent neurotoxicity cyrene vehicle

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wallheck

• 8 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 08:51 PM

So I've been looking into different alternatives to DMSO for certain chemicals, but I've come up shorthanded.

Specifically, the following issues concern me:

"Dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) produces widespread apoptosis in the developing central nervous system"

https://pubmed.ncbi....h.gov/19100327/

"Unexpected low-dose toxicity of the universal solvent DMSO"

https://pubmed.ncbi....h.gov/24327606/

So even low dose may affect cell death.

"Dimethyl Sulfoxide Damages Mitochondrial Integrity and Membrane Potential in Cultured Astrocytes"

https://journals.plo...al.pone.0107447

"Effect of dimethyl sulfoxide on blood-brain barrier integrity following middle cerebral artery occlusion in the rat"

https://link.springe...-211-30714-1_55

^In this one, the BBB is compromised making DMSO a better vehicle for drugs to get into the brain. Definitely can affect research if you don't want to use DMSO as a solvent in an end-user product. The concern for vasogenic edemas is significant, among other speculative problems that are associated with "leaky BBBs", such as Alzheimers. 

____

So, I'm coming here to ask -- are there any good alternatives? 

I see cyrene:

https://www.scienced...128218853000013

But my concern for this is that it's expensive and may have a relatively high dynamic viscosity, making precise measurements more difficult.

Are there any cheaper, similarly viscous solutions out there? Even if not similarly viscous, a cheaper alternative would be good alone.

#2 adamh

• 1,032 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 12:22 AM

Obviously you have looked in the literature and found nothing. Unless you get lucky and someone pops up with the answer, you are going to have to do it the hard way. This means testing your chem with common and uncommon solvents. Probably you will find reports where they tried x,y,z, etc with no luck so cross them off. If your chem is expensive you dont want to waste any so use a small amount and recover what is not dissolved.

I'm no chemist but can't you look at the structure of the molecule and get a clue? Its non polar, does it have fatty acids attached, etc? Talk to someone who does this kind of work and they probably could come up with excellent suggestions. Try a graduate or undergraduate chem student. They always need money, wave a $20 bill and you may get your answer. 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 wallheck

• Topic Starter
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 01:59 AM

Obviously you have looked in the literature and found nothing. Unless you get lucky and someone pops up with the answer, you are going to have to do it the hard way. This means testing your chem with common and uncommon solvents. Probably you will find reports where they tried x,y,z, etc with no luck so cross them off. If your chem is expensive you dont want to waste any so use a small amount and recover what is not dissolved.

I'm no chemist but can't you look at the structure of the molecule and get a clue? Its non polar, does it have fatty acids attached, etc? Talk to someone who does this kind of work and they probably could come up with excellent suggestions. Try a graduate or undergraduate chem student. They always need money, wave a $20 bill and you may get your answer. 

Thanks for the reply. I think my question is more if there's any literature out there for a non-toxic solvent in general.

All of the solvents that can dissolve most pharmaceutical chems are polar aprotic solvents, like DMSO. It just is sad that the other popular options that you see in university research are all more toxic than DMSO - such as DMF, DMAc, etc.. Or even psychoactive, such as GBL...

I may try to talk to some neuroscience labs, but I guess I'm just hoping to get lucky at this point.

Edited by wallheck, 31 January 2021 - 01:59 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 Learner056

• 96 posts

Posted 14 September 2022 - 05:46 PM

Such an informative post, sorry I do not have much to contribute here:  I wish someone can do a brief write up (instead of hoarding the knowledge in their head), like an executive overview - chemistry/vocabulary of solvents, starting with polar vs non-polar solvents and then building the case from there (in applied setting) -  educate me on this science:  

a) I usually first try Vinegar/acetic, MCT oil depending on the solute.  Then 100% oleic acid.  (before it all, just dissolving it in distilled water if it does, and tweaking the pH)

b) Vegetable glycerin, Propylene glycol (though I limit its use).

c) Using polysaccharides (chitosan, cationic).

c) DMSO is just amazing fast little devil, I used it for a little until I realized its too powerful that it was harming my fingers.  Topical treatments have so many utilities as you know, e.g. to test something on small scale, trying to build a sense of whether a compound will help you en masse, hence utility of DMSO as solvent for carrying things.  I am intrigued by "cyrene" that you mention.  I don't even see it available for sale.  What are good places to buy it from? 

Edited by Learner056, 14 September 2022 - 06:24 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dmso, bbb, solvent, neurotoxicity, cyrene, vehicle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users