• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Resting heart rate and heart rate variability: What's optimal?

cardiovascular fitness aging longevity

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Lustgarten

• 348 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 February 2021 - 05:53 PM

To determine what's optimal for resting heart rate and heart rate variability, I review the published literature for how they change during aging, and what's associated with mortality risk. Also included are my data over the past ~2 years, to see how I compare against the literature.

• Informative x 1

#2 dlewis1453

• 151 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 February 2021 - 05:05 AM

GDF-11 is one of the few, perhaps the only chemical  that has reversed the downward trend of HRV in humans. See this url below for a paper written by a man who has been injecting himself with GDF-11 for over 5 years and has improved many biomarkers of aging, including HRV. Note that this chemical, although it is endogenous, is cutting edge and not well understood. 

https://gdf11rejuvenation.com/

• Good Point x 1
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Oakman

Posted 04 February 2021 - 07:49 PM

Good overview of the various HRV parameters you've gotten vs age and season. I also have kept HRV and resting HR over the last several yrs. It does seem to go up and down a bit, however, I haven't been able to determine the reason for any seasonal cycle, other than there being significantly less exercise during winter months. Changes seem more based on how well I observe correct recovery times needed between exercise periods, in my experience. Getting recovery 'right' was why I started doing the measurements in the first place.

Each morning upon waking, I use HRV4Training to record results, basically because it's a smartphone based app, free, and is easy to use. You did not mention how you take readings. I wonder how different measurement techniques/methods effect results? At 72, my average rMSSD over weekly and monthly periods varies ~45-58, and resting HR is ~48-55 BPM. I attribute that to being an active cycler with, for example, ~4000 mi under my best last year, and relatively healthy eating and multiple supplement I consume daily.

I would also be interesting to see how BP correlates with HRV and resting HR, although I've never seen any data about that.

Edited by Oakman, 04 February 2021 - 08:01 PM.

• Good Point x 1

#4 Michael Lustgarten

• Topic Starter
  • 348 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 February 2021 - 08:28 PM

"Getting recovery 'right' was why I started doing the measurements in the first place."

-Same here!

Congrats on your RHR and HRV, which are reflective of someone much younger! I use WHOOP, which automatically measures RHR and HRV in the morning before waking.

I'll look into the BP link with RHR/HRV, and I agree, I'm not such that much (if any) studies exist for that.

• like x 2

#5 Michael Lustgarten

• Topic Starter
  • 348 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 February 2021 - 10:16 PM

*I'm not sure that many* (if any) studies exist for that.

Sorry about that, it looks like I can't edit my post to correct it!

#6 Michael Lustgarten

• Topic Starter
  • 348 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 January 2022 - 12:20 PM

Resting Heart Rate, Heart Rate Variability: 1,240 Days Of Data

https://www.youtube....h?v=nkCRw2F11oE

Attached Files

#7 johnhemming

• 311 posts

Posted 09 January 2022 - 02:32 PM

I recently upgraded from a fitbit HR to a fitbit Sense.  I did not buy this because it has HRV, but it does claim to calculate a HRV at night.  It may be that it has not got sufficient accuracy during the day.   I am 61 and have  a resting heart rate in the range of 53-56, but HRV according to fitbit at night is quite low (around 20ms).  However, I don't know whether the calculation is accurate or whether it matters.

#8 Bike_to_120

• Registrant
  • 39 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 January 2022 - 05:44 PM

GDF-11 is one of the few, perhaps the only chemical  that has reversed the downward trend of HRV in humans. See this url below for a paper written by a man who has been injecting himself with GDF-11 for over 5 years and has improved many biomarkers of aging, including HRV. Note that this chemical, although it is endogenous, is cutting edge and not well understood. 

https://gdf11rejuvenation.com/

I used GDF11 for a year - my HRV went down, so not buying this hypothesis

I've tried just about every idea I can find to improve HRV to no avail after 10 months

weirdly my blood biomarkers on inflammation seem to be low (hsCRP, IL6 and TNF-alpha)

• Good Point x 1

#9 Michael Lustgarten

• Topic Starter
  • 348 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 January 2022 - 06:00 PM

I used GDF11 for a year - my HRV went down, so not buying this hypothesis

I've tried just about every idea I can find to improve HRV to no avail after 10 months

weirdly my blood biomarkers on inflammation seem to be low (hsCRP, IL6 and TNF-alpha)

I also didn't see any links for GDF-11 with HRV on that site.

#10 dlewis1453

• 151 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 January 2022 - 07:29 PM

I also didn't see any links for GDF-11 with HRV on that site.

Hi there, 

The information on GDF11 and HRV on that site is in Steve Perry's paper on the results of GDF11 administration in himself and his cohort:

https://docs.google....6HUMPUQS_Q/edit

You can also find information in the "biomarkers" section of that website. 

Note that I have not personally taken GDF11, so I am just relaying what I have read. Steve Perry is, as far as I am aware, the first human to regularly inject himself with GDF11, and he has a sizeable cohort of people following his protocol and sharing tips with each other. There are a few other people on Longecity who have noticed an HRV benefit from GDF11. Questforlife is currently taking GDF11 and I believe he has noticed HRV improvements. 

Here is a quote from Steve Perry's paper: 

"Heart rate variability, which is correlated with increased fitness, health and youthfulness, improves substantially on GDF11.  Average HRV RMSSD was up 22% for the entire cohort."

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#11 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 06:34 PM

My resting heart rate is around 40 to 45 and has been for a few years. I think this is okay. I feel fine. However, when I donate blood they freak out about my low heart rate and will not let me donate unless my heart rate is above 50.

• Good Point x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cardiovascular fitness, aging, longevity

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users