• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

More skinny (less weight) = more effect from telomerase activators?

telomeres body weight telomerase

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Believer

• 437 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 07:28 AM

Does this reasoning make sense:

(1) that it would be better for a person trying to lengthen their average telomere length to be skin and bones rather than overweight because there would be fewer cells?

(2) that it is easier to extend the average telomere length in a small person 140cm tall and more difficult to extend the average telomere length in a large person 210cm tall?

#2 QuestforLife

• NO

Posted 09 March 2021 - 11:44 AM

Obviously a heavier person requires a greater dose of anything to have an equal effect. But it is not clear that a bigger person will have more cells necessarily, if the only difference is fat cells. This is because fast cells get bigger when you out on weight, you don't necessarily make more fat cells. This is probably one of the differences between children, who rarely become obese, and adults, who do so easily with a bad diet. 

My general take is the bigger you are the more dose you need. 

I also think that all things being equal, larger people (not just with fat but height and muscle as well) will have shorter telomeres. This is obscured in the cross sectional studies by different inherited telomere lengths, lifestyle, etc., but it is most likely true - when is the last time you saw a super centenarian who wasn't small?

• Good Point x 1

#3 Believer

• Topic Starter
  • 437 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 12:43 PM

Well I am in my mid 20s and very tall and I look 35. I have always looked much older than I am.

sponsored ad

• Advert

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: telomeres, body weight, telomerase

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users