• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Programming the reward circuitry with drugs?

neuroscience

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 alpha2A

• 40 posts

Posted 18 April 2021 - 02:35 PM

Hi all,

Rodents that are repeatedly given rewarding drugs (eg. cocaine or morphine) in a certain location develop what is called conditioned place preference (CPP) for that location.

I'm trying to use rewarding drugs to associate the reward with a particular behaviour, currently getting out of bed or going out for a walk.  Basically my technique goes as follows

1. assume the baseline position: lying in bed, sitting idly, etc.
  2. administer the drug
  3. wait till the drug begins to take effect
  4. perform the action to be rewarded: get out of bed and start working at the computer; or, go out for a walk.

As a rewarding drug, I am using Nicorette nicotine spray.  I know it's not ideal, ie. it is nothing like cocaine or morphine, but it is a little reward, and the best alternative I have at hand.

I'm not sure yet whether it's working; I've been at it for a few days.  An unresolved question is how long to wait for the drug to take effect.  I'm currently using 3x 1 mg nicotine sublingually and I'm waiting a little over 45 seconds.

-alpha2A.

• like x 1

#2 Danniel

• 93 posts

Posted 19 April 2021 - 08:01 AM

you are overdoing it. In order to train a certain behavior, you need the smallest possible reward. Reward can be anything you feel as positive, not necessary drugs. Try using praise. Have a few nice words for yourself every time you perform the way you want. It works very, very fast if you apply it consistently.

I can read the book "Don't shoot the dog". Explains in a clear way what, how and why

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 alpha2A

• Topic Starter
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 April 2021 - 01:57 PM

Hello, and thank you for your feedback.  I've located and started reading the book you refer to.

I've mostly replaced the nicotine spray with xylitol tablets, which allow me to time the positive reinforcement more accurately.

As for praise, well, I'm not particularly sensitive to praise, unless perhaps it is coming from another person that I look up to.  Praising myself does not seem to have much of an effect.

-alpha2A

#4 TMNMK

• 170 posts

Posted 25 April 2021 - 12:00 AM

Reminds me of the book The Power of Habit

#5 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,047 posts

Posted 25 April 2021 - 10:53 AM

I think the original post had things backwards, maybe.

First do the action, then get the reward.

Setting a timer is pretty good as well. Work for 30 minutes or an hour without distraction. Timer goes off, then play the video game, eat a nice meal/treat, veg-out on some TV, or something.

#6 alpha2A

• Topic Starter
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 April 2021 - 11:29 AM

I think the original post had things backwards, maybe.

First do the action, then get the reward.

Well, the original approach was designed to administer the reward during and after the desired action.

According to the book ("Don't Shoot the Dog!"; and I believe it!), reinforcement (reward) is most effective the nearer its temporal proximity is to the target action.  That means, ideally, as the action is happening -- not before or after.

I wonder, however, whether perhaps it would be a good idea to reward the intention or the decision to perform the action, after the point of no return.

Setting a timer is pretty good as well. Work for 30 minutes or an hour without distraction. Timer goes off, then play the video game, eat a nice meal/treat, veg-out on some TV, or something.

Thanks for the idea; I might find it useful.

-alpha2A

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 ta5

• 952 posts
Posted 10 June 2021 - 06:53 AM

Leo Rex describes using Adderall to learn to enjoy reading:

Edited by ta5, 10 June 2021 - 06:54 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: neuroscience

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users