Food sources of supplement-dosage nutrients

supplements food

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 StephCThomp

• 70 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 May 2021 - 02:22 AM

I am starting this thread to collect a list of natural food sources of specific nutrients that contain as much (or almost) as found in supplements

I am doing this because I want to cut back my supplement habit.  I am consuming too many tablet fillers etc and believe this is bad for my gut.

Please contribute what you know about foods that are uniquely dense in a specific nutrient AND practical to consume in the required quantity on a daily or very regular basis.  (Please don't post what you've heard or believe, but only what you are very confident is actually true :) )

For example...

• Brazil nuts contain enough Selenium to replace supplements by eating just 2 to 4.
  • Oysters contain an incredibly large amount of Zinc and Copper...BUT they are not a very practical inclusion in a daily diet.
  • Anthocyanins are easy to get from deep blue-purple foods like berries and 'Midnight Blue' potatoes

Are there foods that contain Magnesium amounting to at least 200-300 mg per day?

Are there foods that contain Vitamin C in 500mg quantities or more?

Edited by StephCThomp, 01 May 2021 - 02:23 AM.

• like x 1

#2 pamojja

• 2,460 posts

Posted 01 May 2021 - 12:47 PM

I am consuming too many tablet fillers etc and believe this is bad for my gut..

..Are there foods that contain Vitamin C in 500mg quantities or more?

Acerola dried powder has the highest 13% vitamin c content. So you had to eat 43 gram of that powder every day!

While 99,9% pure ascorbic acid powder doesn't has any fillers, and at a tiny fraction of acerola's price.

Are there foods that contain Magnesium amounting to at least 200-300 mg per day?

200-300 ml of this magnesium-rich mineral water does: ''https://en.m.wikiped...g/wiki/Donat_Mg

Ginger powder at 2.5% percent gingerols almost has as many as most Ginger-extract supplements at 5%.

Parsley powder contains 0.3% apigenin, which which its easy to get supplemental amounts.

All essential vitamins and minerals, as long as they aren't needed in therapeutic doses, are easy to get with only 1 tablet/capsule as a multi. Some are produced with the least harmful fillers.

• Good Point x 2
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Captain Obvious

• 82 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 May 2021 - 12:38 PM

Wheat germ is very high in spermidine and is very easy to consume in yoghurts, smoothies or mixed with muesli.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 kurdishfella

• 1,644 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 May 2021 - 07:27 PM

I think it is very hard to get enough Vitamin C (≈1000mg), D (≈8000 IU) and Zinc (≈20mg) from food alone unless they have been fortified which I don't think they do. And some other unknown ones.

Edited by kurdishfella, 04 May 2021 - 07:33 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: supplements, food

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users