- - - - -

Rapamycin and wound healing

rapamycin wound healing

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 timedilation

• 61 posts

Posted 03 July 2021 - 01:12 AM

Inhibition of mTORC1 is known to have beneficial effects on stem cell function and other parts of the aging process.  On the other hand, mTOR is typically activated during injuries to induce asymmetric stem cell division and promote healing.  Given these two somewhat opposing effects, the direct effects of rapamycin on wound healing should be an interesting question.

My working hypothesis is that rapamycin would fortify wound healing processes over time but would be detrimental during an actual injury.  The thinking is that mTOR inhibition would prevent the activation/aging/exhaustion of various cell types and help replenish stem cell pools.  However, during injury, mTOR processes need to be activated to promote healing, so rapamycin would need to be stopped.  This is supported by several quick studies I found (e.g., 1 and 2) showing that rapamycin either failed to help or even impaired wound healing.

If all that is true, an even more interesting question would be the potential role of mTOR inhibition in the case of chronic injury.  We should expect that chronic injury will lead to chronic mTOR activation, which will promote aging.  However, inhibiting mTOR will downregulate the body’s healing mechanisms, which could cause the injury to worsen.  This creates a very difficult position, where both options could make the situation worse.  

To go full biohacker, the ideal tactic might be to combine periods of healing compounds (e.g., peptides like BPC-157 and certain supplements) with periods of rapamycin.  The goal of each healing period would be to improve the injury to a new plateau, and then each rapamycin period would be used to enhance the next healing period.   The rapamycin period could be combined with other methods of stem cell rejuvenation, such as the C60 protocol.

Any thoughts on these ideas?  Anyone out there have experience taking rapamycin with a chronic or acute injury?

• Good Point x 1
  • like x 1

#2 MFRITTMAN

• 14 posts

Posted 15 July 2021 - 04:13 AM

I'm starting rapamycin when my pharmacy gets it in stock on Friday.  I don't think it is that complicated.  Rapamycin is more of an mTOR modulator than an mTOR inhibitor.  Age is the AMPK inhibitor.  Rapamycin just allows the body to access both AMPK and mTOR like a younger person.  Wound healing and building muscle may work just as well while on rapamycin.  There is ample evidence that rapamycin does not increase muscle decline with age.  My stack will be 1/2 cup dried parsley (apigenin), 1 g niacin, and 1 mg rapamycin per day.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 timedilation

• Topic Starter
  • 61 posts

Posted 11 August 2022 - 10:17 PM

I'm starting rapamycin when my pharmacy gets it in stock on Friday.  I don't think it is that complicated.  Rapamycin is more of an mTOR modulator than an mTOR inhibitor.  Age is the AMPK inhibitor.  Rapamycin just allows the body to access both AMPK and mTOR like a younger person.  Wound healing and building muscle may work just as well while on rapamycin.  There is ample evidence that rapamycin does not increase muscle decline with age.  My stack will be 1/2 cup dried parsley (apigenin), 1 g niacin, and 1 mg rapamycin per day.

Did you end up running rapamycin?  If so, how did it go?

Also, bumping this thread to see if anyone else has new experiences to report for rapamycin in the context of injuries and wound healing.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rapamycin, wound healing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users