EGCG Piperine and liver toxicity ?

egcg piperine alanine aminotransferase liver green tea

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cjacek

• 56 posts

Posted 15 April 2022 - 08:40 AM

Hi,

Someone I know has been taking 300 mg EGCG daily (as green tea extract) with piperine. From what I've read, 300 mg EGCG daily seems safe, without potentially raising alanine aminotransferase and causing liver problems down the line but I'm not sure how the addition of piperine changes things... Yes, I know the piperine would increase EGCG bioavailability but would it not also increase the potential for liver toxicity (by making the EGCG even more potent)? So this is a two part question: Is 300 mg EGCG + piperine daily safe? And would piperine ALONE present any health issues? In other words, is piperine generally a good idea from a safety standpoint? I've read that piperine is acutely toxic to mice, rats and hamsters. Not sure how it translates to humans but I would appreciate any comments related to this. Thank you in advance. Oh, and also, I'm not sure how much piperine is in the EGCG product but I opened a capsule, tasted it and could tell that it was very strong, very pungent.      

Edited by cjacek, 15 April 2022 - 08:49 AM.

#2 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 17 April 2022 - 12:41 PM

Green tea extract should only be used for a month or 2 at a time. It's not a cure and like anything can be detrimental if overdone. I'd skip the piperene. EGCG the same as GTE a short cycle not daily for long periods. JMO

Edited by 2tender, 17 April 2022 - 12:43 PM.

• Needs references x 2

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: egcg piperine alanine aminotransferase liver, green tea

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users