56 replies to this topic

#1 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 07:40 PM

Link to source

Mushrooms' active ingredient expands the mind, study finds

By David Brown
The Washington Post

Psilocybin, the active ingredient of "magic mushrooms," expands the mind. After a thousand years of use, that's now scientifically official.

The chemical promoted a mystical experience in two-thirds of people who took it for the first time, according to a new study. One-third rated a session with psilocybin as the "single most spiritually significant" experience of their lives. Another third put it in the top five.

The study, published today in the journal Psychopharmacology, is the first randomized, controlled trial of a substance used for centuries by natives of Mexico and Central America to produce mystical insights. It is also nearly the first research on a psychedelic drug in human subjects in this country since the 1960s. It confirms what both shamans and hippies have long said: Taking psilocybin is a scary, reality-bending and occasionally life-changing experience.

The researchers hope the experiment opens a door to the study of a class of compounds that alter human perception and erode the boundaries of self — at least in some users. They hope it will provide new insight to how the brain works and what neurochemical events underlie moments of mystical rapture.

Rigorous study of psychedelic drugs has been shunned since the 1960s, although it is not illegal. Research on them was a casualty of the muddled mix of science and advocacy by people such as Timothy Leary, the LSD guru and former Harvard psychologist once called the "most dangerous man in America" by President Nixon.

"Our study has shown we can conduct a study of this type safely, and that the effects produced are really quite interesting," said Roland Griffiths of Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, who ran the experiment. "There is a clear neuroscience agenda to understand those effects, and clear clinical applications that could be pursued."

The study, which involved 36 middle-aged adults from the Baltimore-Washington area, was conducted over five years. The subjects were chosen from 135 people who answered newspaper ads. All said they were members of a religious organization, practiced meditation or took part in other spiritual activity.

The volunteers were randomly assigned to take either 30 milligrams of psilocybin (chemically synthesized, not extracted from mushrooms) or 40 milligrams of methylphenidate, the stimulant sold as Ritalin.

The sessions lasted eight hours in a room where a person could listen to music, relax on a couch with eyeshades or talk with two monitors always in attendance. Each subject then took the other drug in a different session two months later.

Of the 36 people, 22 had a "complete" mystical experience as judged by several question-based scales used for rating such experiences. Many reported feelings of joy and peace, and a sense of transcending time and space. Two-thirds judged it to be among their top-five life experiences, equal to the birth of a first child or death of a parent.

Two months after a session, the people who had taken psilocybin reported small but significant positive changes in behavior and attitudes compared to those who had taken Ritalin. Many participants said it had left them feeling kinder and happier than before — persistent changes that scientists corroborated through interviews with families, friends and co-workers.

One-third of the subjects, however, said they experienced "strong or extreme" fear at some point in the hours after they took the hallucinogen. Four people said the entire session was dominated by anxiety or psychological struggle.

David Nichols, a professor of medicinal chemistry at Purdue University, who was not involved in the research, said that last finding should give people pause.

"I think these drugs are potentially very dangerous," he said. "I would be very disappointed if in any sense these results were used to encourage recreational use of these compounds."

Material from The Baltimore Sun is included in this report.

Copyright © 2006 The Seattle Times Company

#2 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 08:51 PM

Cool.

Psilocybin can occasion mystical-type experiences having substantial and sustained personal meaning and spiritual significance.

Griffiths RR, Richards WA, McCann U, Jesse R.

Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 5510, Nathan Shock Drive, Baltimore, MD, 21224-6823, USA.

RATIONALE: Although psilocybin has been used for centuries for religious purposes, little is known scientifically about its acute and persisting effects. OBJECTIVES: This double-blind study evaluated the acute and longer-term psychological effects of a high dose of psilocybin relative to a comparison compound administered under comfortable, supportive conditions. MATERIALS AND METHODS: The participants were hallucinogen-naive adults reporting regular participation in religious or spiritual activities. Two or three sessions were conducted at 2-month intervals. Thirty volunteers received orally administered psilocybin (30 mg/70 kg) and methylphenidate hydrochloride (40 mg/70 kg) in counterbalanced order. To obscure the study design, six additional volunteers received methylphenidate in the first two sessions and unblinded psilocybin in a third session. The 8-h sessions were conducted individually. Volunteers were encouraged to close their eyes and direct their attention inward. Study monitors rated volunteers' behavior during sessions. Volunteers completed questionnaires assessing drug effects and mystical experience immediately after and 2 months after sessions. Community observers rated changes in the volunteer's attitudes and behavior. RESULTS: Psilocybin produced a range of acute perceptual changes, subjective experiences, and labile moods including anxiety. Psilocybin also increased measures of mystical experience. At 2 months, the volunteers rated the psilocybin experience as having substantial personal meaning and spiritual significance and attributed to the experience sustained positive changes in attitudes and behavior consistent with changes rated by community observers. CONCLUSIONS: When administered under supportive conditions, psilocybin occasioned experiences similar to spontaneously occurring mystical experiences. The ability to occasion such experiences prospectively will allow rigorous scientific investigations of their causes and consequences.

PMID: 16826400 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 rhakshasa

• 136 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 08:54 PM

mushrooms is ok and pot isn't? :( I always classed mushrooms has something heavier than marijuana. imo any psychedelic is so much affected by your self-understanding, set and setting define the experience.

#4 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 09:00 PM

So far, I have only seen long-term use studies that show peyote as safe.

I am not sure on long-term use of mushrooms, and would advise against until otherwise shown evident.

As for pot, I imagine some negatives can be overcome by ingesting it, not smoking it.

All these drugs have different active ingredients, so it is not unlikely that their saftey profiles will differ.

#5 PeriPhysis

• 51 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 09:33 PM

Interesting study, maybe they could start using them in the treatment of some diseases, depression and stuff... there is a related case in salvia but is by no means a trial or something... well we have to wait for further studies.

mushrooms is ok and pot isn't? :( I always classed mushrooms has something heavier than marijuana. imo any psychedelic is so much affected by your self-understanding, set and setting define the experience.

Eating or vaporizing hashish have a few less dangers to the body... but mushrooms and pot are rather different substances with different effects on the brain, mushrooms can be better compared to lsd, dmt, salvia divinorum and mescaline...

We must not classify drugs based on how "heavy" they seem to us but we must do that by analising their effects, check http://en.wikipedia....ychoactive_drug it shows a better way to classify drugs compared to the old hard/soft scheme.

See you around :)

#6 rhakshasa

• 136 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 09:39 PM

I do know pot is different from other psychedelic, but it share some similarities, it has psychedelic effect. I was just saying pot isn't ok because there was a thread sometime ago, oh well watever :)

#7 PeriPhysis

• 51 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 10:37 PM

I understand rhakshasa, I had to say that because most people rule themselves by the hard/soft scheme and that is not a very good way to see things isnt it? :)

Indeed they have some similarities but I think pot is kind of unique in its effects as we can see from subjective experience not really like any other drug dont you agree?

Well hope they continue trials on illicit drugs and maybe one day they will realize that is kind of dumb to make things such as pot illegal when we have alcohol flowing in many people blood... lol

#8 meatwad

• 196 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 12:16 AM

How negatively it affects your brain/organs is how I catagorize chemicals.

#9 PeriPhysis

• 51 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 02:57 AM

How negatively it affects your brain/organs is how I catagorize chemicals.

That is kind of a negative view isn't it? The negative effects of various chemicals are dose dependent(positive ones too).

Ever heard of Botox? I'm sure you did and what about Botulin? Sure you did too.
And I'm sure you know they are rather the same thing...
But when we talk about Botox we're normally talking about a drug used in various medical treatments and in the cosmetic industry, and when we say Botulin it remember us of chemical weapons as it is the most deadly naturally ocurring poison known to man. (don't know for sure where but I remember to read about a very small amount being able to kill thousands of people)

This is an example of why we can't depend on such ways to categorize chemicals by the way that is a way to categorize psychoactive drugs not every chemical.
About everything that we consume can be bad for our health if really overdosed.

Well this was a little out of topic sorry...

See you around :)

Edited by evilthinker, 12 July 2006 - 03:22 AM.

#10 emerson

• 332 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 12:14 PM

At the moment, I'm wobbling around, one step away from sleep. But I had to quickly throw a comment down on this topic. I have to say, the news came as a bit of a surprise to me! I somehow was totally unaware that this had been in the works.

Even better, I'm rather happy to see that my initial worries and objections all seem to have been met. In particular I'm glad they measured the results within a relatively wide window, and took this information from family instead of only the subjects.

Even the dose seems like a pretty good choice. Someone more familiar with the subject might be able to jog my memory a bit though. Am I correct that the dose would be equivalent to about 3-4 grams of dried cubensis?

It looks like yet another journal article I need to track down, and find some awake time to properly critique.

mushrooms is ok and pot isn't?

I'd advise waiting a bit more to come to any conclusions. Again, someone more familiar with the subject might be able to correct or clarify the point. But as far as I know, there's never been any long term studies examining the biological and sociological effects of psilocybin and psilocin on humans. I'm not sure if those have even been performed to a reasonable degree of modern accuracy in animal studies.

From native use, we know that it's possible for some humans to take it over a lifetime and still maintain some functionality within society. And that's about the extent of things. This is precisely the reason that seeing any research in this area makes me so excited. There's a huge potential for increased understanding of human consciousness here. And to this point it's been, more often than not, a totally shunned potential. I really hope this may be another sign that psychedelic substances are entering into the toolbelt of cognitive analysis and modification. It's not certain that we'll ever gain anything from their study, but I'd say there's definitely enough chance of it to keep our fingers crossed that we'll see more mainstream news articles in this vein.

And, someone had to do it. Here's the obligatory pubmed copy and paste. While it's a good abstract, even an enjoyable read, like most it still leaves me hungry afterward. Despite journal envy, I did at least get a bit of a grin when I saw they shared some of the same hopes for future applications as I do.

Psilocybin can occasion mystical-type experiences having substantial and sustained personal meaning and spiritual significance.

Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 5510, Nathan Shock Drive, Baltimore, MD, 21224-6823, USA.

RATIONALE: Although psilocybin has been used for centuries for religious purposes, little is known scientifically about its acute and persisting effects. OBJECTIVES: This double-blind study evaluated the acute and longer-term psychological effects of a high dose of psilocybin relative to a comparison compound administered under comfortable, supportive conditions. MATERIALS AND METHODS: The participants were hallucinogen-naive adults reporting regular participation in religious or spiritual activities. Two or three sessions were conducted at 2-month intervals. Thirty volunteers received orally administered psilocybin (30 mg/70 kg) and methylphenidate hydrochloride (40 mg/70 kg) in counterbalanced order. To obscure the study design, six additional volunteers received methylphenidate in the first two sessions and unblinded psilocybin in a third session. The 8-h sessions were conducted individually. Volunteers were encouraged to close their eyes and direct their attention inward. Study monitors rated volunteers' behavior during sessions. Volunteers completed questionnaires assessing drug effects and mystical experience immediately after and 2 months after sessions. Community observers rated changes in the volunteer's attitudes and behavior. RESULTS: Psilocybin produced a range of acute perceptual changes, subjective experiences, and labile moods including anxiety. Psilocybin also increased measures of mystical experience. At 2 months, the volunteers rated the psilocybin experience as having substantial personal meaning and spiritual significance and attributed to the experience sustained positive changes in attitudes and behavior consistent with changes rated by community observers. CONCLUSIONS: When administered under supportive conditions, psilocybin occasioned experiences similar to spontaneously occurring mystical experiences. The ability to occasion such experiences prospectively will allow rigorous scientific investigations of their causes and consequences.

#11 hbeing

• 9 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 05:48 AM

I've had limited experience with mushrooms, done them 4 times over the 5 years.. definitely interesting stuff.... I didn't really like the tone of the report though, the stuff isnt safe, it's like I've said about a lot of drugs, I dont think they're bad for your body, the experience of mushrooms is nothing like marijuana, it's much stronger, I really cant believe the stuff is legal, cuz it's so strong... I mean, I can definitely imagine jumping out of a window on the stuff and I'm sure people have... I was able to control it well, and I didn't have a large dosage, slight hallucinations, extremely powerful personal experience, you get ultra introspective and things take on new detail... it's fasicinating and I'm shocked that lsd like substances arent investigated more, the effect is dramatic, because you can see pretty easily how thin your grasp of reality is.... like for example, I can remember looking at a dresser and it looked like it was walking around like a dog... that sounds typical, but it was fasicinating to me because I could see how it happened, the dresser actually has the shape similar to a dog, it was more like my conciousness was broken, you senses take in data, and your mind creates the image based on what it knows... something was off there.... and it was amazing, because may brain created a hairy dog out of a dresser and the brain obviously does this with everything in day to day life... this is what they really mean when they say "open the doors of perception"... it's also true to say that your personality is changed every time, because of the experience for one, and your perception changes so radically, you can see different perspectives and learn from that.... as for mind expanding, well, it does kinda do that because the experience itself must have left all kinds of pathways, but there is also a very commonly reported effect of feeling great in mind and body the following day... it's true, when you wakeup you feel kinda great and that feeling stays for a few days at least... its subtle, but you notice it because you expect a headache or a big crash.. It somehow repairs mood, at least for a period of time... and it probably works on depression, I had low self esteem, and one experience was looking in the mirror, and seeing myself as other people saw me, and it wasnt anything like I'd been imagining, funnily enough, I never forgot the thoughts, and that aspect of my self esteem has never been a problem since... that, I see as a mind expanding experience, maybe a mentally healing process... but acid is powerful stuff, they often say it's better done in friendly groups and safe places, because it can accelerate bad feelings, and its easy to tilt that way... I've definitely felt strong fear (being in public on it) and anxiety about the effect during. I think you can lose your mind if you give your brain bad signals... I can maybe imagine one day it being used as a mental treatment, if we could fully prepare and understand it's effects, a trip can definitely be shaped to have positive effects... because it's definitely a state of mind kind of drug, you can set goals and experiment with it... but I cant help but the think requires a lot of responsibility, maybe too much. Theres also that problem of triggering latent mental illness.

#12 sprinkles

• 27 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 08:07 AM

LSD / Psilocybin were used in the 60's in psychiatry with great success.

Edited by sprinkles, 14 July 2006 - 09:05 AM.

#13 emerson

• 332 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 11:50 AM

LSD / Psilocybin were used in the 60's in psychiatry with great success.

There were reports of great success. I'm not aware of much in the way of followups on patients who underwent treatment with psychedelic drugs, either for or against the above proposition. The closest I can think of would be studies on the Santo Daime, Uniao do Vegetal, and NAC. And those are so strongly tied in with other factors that I don't think they can really be used as anything but a source of hints and verification that long term use of peyote and ayahuasca can "in some instances" not lead to diminished capabilities. Osmond and Smith's alcoholism work is definitely suggestive of potential. But it's pretty rough around the edges as far as hard evidence goes.

That said, I really want these kinds of studies to happen. We can learn an amazing amount from brains which have had their normal functionality interrupted. And the ability to turn a few examples of this condition on and off at will for the purposes of monitoring and testing seems far too amazing a chance to pass up. And, I'll even admit to a gut feeling that these kinds of substances can be used for treatment of many mental abnormalities. In any case, for a large number of reasons I'm hopeful that this study might gather enough buzz to allow more of its kind to enter into the world.

There's a great summery of the history of psychiatric use of psychedelics at this page.

Edited by emerson, 14 July 2006 - 12:14 PM.

#14 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 11:06 PM

LSD and 'srooms appear to act by magnifing reality in to such a state that it no longer feels real.

Expectancy plays a large role in determining the outcome of your psychoactive experiance. The catch 22 here is that so many people have heard about the negative experience and subsequently fear the "bad trip". The fear of the 'bad trip" will most likely result in the magnification of the fear and hence results in a "bad trip".

I wonder if taking compounds that have anxiolytic effects will result in an attentuation of the fear and anxiety. ??

Here have a read of the above quoted abstract again (with links)

PMID: 16826400 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

perhaps have a read about the pharmacology as well...

The pharmacology of psilocybin.

Passie T, Seifert J, Schneider U, Emrich HM.

Department of Clinical Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Medical School Hannover, Carl-Neuberg-Strasse 1, D-30625 Hannover, Germany. dr.passie@gmx.de

Psilocybin (4-phosphoryloxy-N,N-dimethyltryptamine) is the major psychoactive alkaloid of some species of mushrooms distributed worldwide.These mushrooms represent a growing problem regarding hallucinogenic drug abuse. Despite its experimental medical use in the 1960s, only very few pharmacological data about psilocybin were known until recently. Because of its still growing capacity for abuse and the widely dispersed data this review presents all the available pharmacological data about psilocybin.

Publication Types:

* Review

PMID: 14578010 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Psilocybin is a hallucinogenic tryptamine that interacts with 5-HT receptor subtypes (1A, 1D, 2A, 2C) i.e psilocybin is a serotogenergic agonist that seems to be very well tolerated (physiologically) and has low toxicity. I would read read read though before trying psilocybin.

For those interested, here is a great article titled "The Psychedelic Experiance FAQ"

#15 doug123

• Topic Starter
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 05:51 AM

Link to source

Psilocybin Viewed as Therapy or Research Tool

By Michael Smith, MedPage
Today Staff Writer
Reviewed by Zalman S. Agus, MD; Emeritus Professor at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine.
July 12, 2006
Source News Article: ABC News, LA Times, MSNBC, Washington Post

MedPage Today Action Points

Advise patients who ask that psilocybin is a controlled substance under U.S. law and has serious risks when used as a drug of abuse; in this study a large proportion of participants had a strong or extreme fear response.

Note, however, that under controlled conditions, the drug induced powerful mystical feelings that engendered long-term positive effects in terms of mood and sense of well-being.

Review
BALTIMORE, July 12 -- Forty years after the psychedelic drug culture proclaimed that psilocybin induces a profound mystical and spiritual experience, investigators at Johns Hopkins have agreed.

There's magic in those mushrooms after all, researchers found in a double-blind trial that found the use of psilocybin can have a "substantial personal meaning and spiritual significance" even months later.

In one of the first rigorous studies of hallucinogenic drugs in the past 40 years, the investigators found that 61% of participants taking the drug -- a serotonin-like derivative of the Psilocybe genus of mushrooms -- had a "full mystical experience," as measured on established psychological scales, according to Roland Griffiths, Ph.D., the study's principal investigator.

Two-thirds of the 36 participants rated the psilocybin experience as either the single most meaningful experience or among the top five most meaningful experiences of their lives, Dr. Griffiths and colleagues reported in the online issue of Psychopharmacology.

Also, the researchers found, 79% of participants reported moderately or greatly increased well-being or life satisfaction two months after taking the drug, compared with those given a placebo at the same test session. Most said their mood, attitudes and behaviors had improved. All of the positive experiences where statistically significant at the P<0.001 level when compared to the placebo responses.

"Under very defined conditions, with careful preparation, you can safely and fairly reliably occasion what's called a primary mystical experience that may lead to positive changes in a person," Dr. Griffith said. "It's an early step in what we hope will be a large body of scientific work that will ultimately help people."

Possible applications, the researchers said, might be to treat intractable pain, depression, or anxiety. The work might also lead to new insights into the pharmacological and brain mechanisms underlying mystical experiences and the non-medical use or abuse of psilocybin and similar compounds.

Psilocybin, a tryptamine alkaloid that acts mainly at serotonin 5-HT2A/C receptor sites, is a Schedule 1 controlled substance.

The study was hailed as a "landmark" by Charles Schuster, Ph.D., director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), which funded the research along with the Council on Spiritual Practices. In a commentary accompanying the study, Dr. Schuster said the report shows that "we can objectively study the experiences reported by many to be profoundly spiritual and meaningful," as well as investigating their long-term consequences.

He added that agents such as psilocybin might one day be used to treat addiction to other drugs.

"Human consciousness in its ever-changing state is a function of the ebb and flow of neural impulses interacting in the various regions of the brain -- the very substrate that drugs such as psilocybin act upon," Dr. Schuster said. "Understanding the brain mechanisms mediating these effects is clearly within the realm of neuroscience and deserves further intensive investigation."

Dr. Griffiths and colleagues enrolled 36 mostly university-educated participants from 24 to 64 years old. None had previously used hallucinogenic drugs and more than half were active in churches or other spiritual communities.

Thirty of the participants were randomly assigned to get either 30 mg per 70 kg of body weight of psilocybin or 40 mg/70 kg of Ritalin (methylphenidate hydrochloride) in a double-blind, between-group, crossover design. There were two eight-hour drug sessions two months apart, in which the participants remained in a comfortable room, listening to classical music, in the company of a monitor -- a medical professional experienced in observing drug study participants.

The remaining six participants had three eight-hour sessions -- one with Ritalin and two with unblinded psilocybin. The intention of the separate group was to obscure the study design to the participants and monitors; the data from the six was not part of the analysis.

A limitation of earlier studies has been that investigators and subjects -- knowing who was getting the investigative drug -- created expectations that led to biases in the results, the researchers said. For this study, both participants and monitors were blinded as to which drug was being used -- a process that appeared to work, at least partly: overall, 23% of the sessions were misclassified by the monitors and even the most experienced monitor was wrong about what drug was used 17% of the time.

In evaluations after the drug sessions, 11 of the participants rated their "experience of fear" sometime during the drug session to be "strong" or "extreme" after they took psilocybin, the researchers reported. None of the participants had a fear response during the Ritalin sessions.

The fears -- which in some cases involved anxiety, dysphoria, or paranoia -- were "readily managed with reassurance" and none of the feelings lasted beyond the drug sessions, Dr. Griffiths and colleagues reported.

Dr. Griffiths was quick to distance himself from studies on LSD conducted in the 1960s by then-Harvard faculty member Timothy Leary. "We are conducting rigorous, systematic research with psilocybin under carefully monitored conditions, a route which Dr. Leary abandoned in the early 1960s," he said.

He also said it's not yet clear that the brain mechanisms underlying the psilocybin experience are the same as those involved in a spontaneous spiritual epiphany. "That work hasn't been done yet," he said.

Primary source: Psychopharmacology
Source reference:
R. R. Griffiths et al. "Psilocybin can occasion mystical-type experiences having substantial and sustained personal meaning and spiritual significance." Psychopharmacology 2006; DOI 10.1007/s00213-006-0457-5.

Additional source: Psychopharmacology
Source reference:
Harriet de Wit. "Towards a science of spiritual experience." Psychopharmacology 2006; DOI 10.1007/s00213-006-0462-8.

Additional source: Psychopharmacology
Source reference:
Charles R. Schuster. "Commentary on: Psilocybin can occasion mystical-type experiences having substantial and sustained personal meaning and spiritual significance by Griffiths et al." Psychopharmacology 2006; DOI 10.1007/s00213-006-0460-x.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disclaimer
The information presented in this activity is that of the authors and does not necessarily represent the views of the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, MedPage Today, and the commercial supporter. Specific medicines discussed in this activity may not yet be approved by the FDA for the use as indicated by the writer or reviewer. Before prescribing any medication, we advise you to review the complete prescribing information, including indications, contraindications, warnings, precautions, and adverse effects. Specific patient care decisions are the responsibility of the healthcare professional caring for the patient. Please review our Terms of Use.

© 2004-2006 MedPage Today, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

#16 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 July 2006 - 08:15 AM

The catch 22 here is that so many people have heard about the negative experience and subsequently fear the "bad trip". The fear of the 'bad trip" will most likely result in the magnification of the fear and hence results in a "bad trip".

Make sure you're with a group of trusted friends, at least for the first time you experiment with Psilocybin. Try not to be too anxious about experimenting or this really could result in an unpleasant trip. Also, an ideal locale for a trip would be some place where you can (1)be enclosed if you so desire (a dark bed room), plus (2) have a great deal of open space if you get claustrophobic (open woods, a field, etc).

#17 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 July 2006 - 08:26 AM

mushrooms is ok and pot isn't?

Bud is psychologically habit forming, probably carcinogenic when smoked, and usually makes you a space cadet when used with any regularity.

Psilocybin can be used on rare occasions with no apparent habit formation, no known ill health effects when used in moderation, and has been known to expand rather than impede the mind.

Still, I believe that individuals should be able to ingest whatever substances they desire so long as they are harming no one else.

To cognitive liberty!

#18 doug123

• Topic Starter
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 08:45 AM

I think it is interesting science is taking a look at this. Don, do you know any shroom addicts?

#19 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 July 2006 - 09:42 AM

Don, do you know any shroom addicts?

Well, Don at 27 is very different from Don at 19...although... [lol] I can't say that I've ever known strictly a "shroom addict". I've know people who would ingest virtually anything in front of them, shrooms included, but I doubt this had anything to do with the shrooms, as much as it did their addictive personalities.

I think however that it is fairly well known within the psychedelic subcommunity that use of Psilocybin is non-habit forming.

And yes Adam, the scientific study of psychedelics is very interesting!

#20 catshmat

• 34 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 06:57 AM

Can anyone source this in bulk?

[tung]

#21 emerson

• 332 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 08:07 AM

Can anyone source this in bulk?

I'm not sure if the humorous punnery with cows was intended, but either way, well done.

#22 doug123

• Topic Starter
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 02:10 AM

A full discussion on Mckenna; his views on Psilocybin mushrooms and an excellent debate about the possibility that the introduction of Psilocybin into our diet possibly causing the doubling of the human brain size in less than two million years.... [thumb] Follow the link...

#23 daimewaku

• 63 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 October 2006 - 05:10 AM

A full discussion on Mckenna; his views on Psilocybin mushrooms and an excellent debate about the possibility that the introduction of Psilocybin into our diet possibly causing the doubling of the human brain size in less than two million years.... [thumb] Follow the link...

Very interesting read -- very thankful for your post on this.

The brain size seems irrelevant since we only use a fraction of our own anyway right? I just want access to what belongs to me, like, ALL OF MY BRAIN!

I've never tried any psychadelics yet, but my 30th birthday is coming soon and have in fact made preperations to try a small amount. Wanted to try Hofmann's problem child but it seems to not exist where I live.

One question though and please pardon me for asking this question here since it is supposed to be about noots and not psychadellics. When I try this, should I not do my daily Piracetam, Hydergine, and Choline. I heard that it could react in a way that a person will have to consume more Psilocybin to get a general effect.

#24 doug123

• Topic Starter
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 07:38 AM

We don't really understand the brain very well at all. I don't think it's necessarily the best idea necessarily for everyone to start taking mushrooms...I messed with that stuff a little as a teenager and I don't believe most average folks should take them to "increase visual acuity;" say, before taking an exam or playing a video game hoping to beat the next level quicker or something..I've heard that those mushrooms are also dangerous to the liver.

I personally feel that McKenna's ideas are *really* crazy and I don't hold to the position that the brain size doubled so quickly specifically due to the inclusion of Psilocybin based mushrooms into the diet.

Paleontology isn't really my field. Any Paleontologists here that care to elaborate on the exquisite details of the fossil record? Is it "really" true that the human brain size doubled in two million years? Or is he making that up? I guess I should check. Maybe later. [mellow]

I think McKenna offers a pretty interesting theory. McKenna had a lot of imagination.

#25 t4exanadu

• 17 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 02:25 AM

The brain size seems irrelevant since we only use a fraction of our own anyway right? I just want access to what belongs to me, like, ALL OF MY BRAIN!

Of course we use all of our brains! If you didn't, that would imply that you have suffered brain damage. I'm not even sure what it means to say that we only use a certain percentage of our brains. Does this mean that only a certain percent of neurons are firing action potentials at any one time? That isn't the only function of neurons, and glial cells vastly outnumber neurons anyway. Obviously, only a certain percentage of neurons are firing action potentials at any one time, and it is probably a small amount otherwise we would all be having tonic-clonic seizures. Perhaps this refers to the fact that we only have conscious access to a certain amount of information that is processed by the brain (a very small amount). This smacks of the "10% myth" which unfortunately, far too many people think is true.

When I try this, should I not do my daily Piracetam, Hydergine, and Choline. I heard that it could react in a way that a person will have to consume more Psilocybin to get a general effect.

Given that the effects of Psilocybin are primarily mediated by serotonin, none of those supplements should affect the experience very much. Anecdotal reports from a good number of people (myself included) have indicated that this is the case.

#26 t4exanadu

• 17 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 02:36 AM

I've heard that those mushrooms are also dangerous to the liver. 

Psilocybin Cubensis is not known to be hepatotoxic. What you are referring to are the Amanita Virosa (Destroying Angel) and Amanita Phalloids (Death Cap) mushrooms which contain amatoxin and alpha-amanitin respectively. Both compounds are very toxic to both the kidneys and liver. Liver transplants are often required for those who accidentally ingest these mushrooms.

#27 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 05:01 AM

The history of human developement as a culture and society is very interesting. When looking back on the developement I find myself looking to the future. 2001: A Space Odyssey anyone?

Brain size and developement is a theory on why it took so long for man to move from one stage of developement to another. Why did we keep evolving at all? We were at a place that we could have stagnated. The answer that floats around is sexual competition drove the stronger to be smarter to get the girl.

My hand axe is better than yours!

#28 fast turtle

• 73 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 03:18 AM

I would say that serotonergic psychedelics offer something in the way of psychotherapy, but mostly for people with conditional/environmental factors relating to their psychological problems in life, rather than chemistry. They offer an experience of a great amount of mental stress with virtually no amount of physical harm (mushrooms are not hepatotoxic, neurotoxic, or nephrotoxic as far as I've ever seen in research).

Beware mixing nootropics like x-acetam and psychedelics, there are a lot of anecdotal reports of potentiation and bizarre side effects.

#29 operationivy

• 19 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 03:46 AM

fast turtle, common shrooms resemble fatally poisonous mushrooms. An unskilled person out in search of mushrooms is certainly at a risk of being harmed.

As for the benefits of psychedelic mushrooms, I wouldn't doubt it. For some people, it can be awful. My spiritual experience with hallucinogens was terrifying, but it set me straight in a positive way.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 tracer

• 150 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 02:38 PM

Hmmm.... okay here's a theory for y'all. Combined Modafinil, Wellbutrin and Shrooms plus Theta Brain Entrainment and suggestion. Any thoughts?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users