• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

People who skipped their COVID vaccine are at higher risk of traffic accidents, according to a new study

coronavirus

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Serendipity

• 984 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 December 2022 - 09:22 PM

https://finance.yaho...-183148392.html

Get vaccinated now, you’re a danger to the road!

• Disagree x 1

#2 Dorian Grey

• 2,161 posts

Posted 15 December 2022 - 05:15 AM

My God, I saw this too.  We do live in interesting times! 

"And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes...  I'll see you on the dark side of the moon" (R Waters)

• Good Point x 1

#3 Hip

• 2,400 posts

Posted 15 December 2022 - 05:54 AM

This finding is likely explained by the fact that people who choose to get vaccinated are probably more cautious and careful in general. 

• Pointless, Timewasting x 3
  • Good Point x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#4 michael0505

• 35 posts

Posted 17 December 2022 - 04:40 PM

I'll take my chances on the road....and likely come out ahead :)

#5 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,074 posts

Posted 17 December 2022 - 06:22 PM

At my age, driving, and health status, I am about 2 ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE more likely to die in a car crash than to die of COVID.

• like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#6 Hip

• 2,400 posts

Posted 18 December 2022 - 06:34 AM

At my age, driving, and health status, I am about 2 ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE more likely to die in a car crash than to die of COVID.

Where did you get that figure? It seems wrong mathematically.

About 40,000 people die each year in road accidents in the US. Given the US population of 332 million, that roughly equates each person having a 1 in 8000 chance of dying on the roads each year. 

If you are in your 30s, you have around a 1 in 500 chance of dying if you get COVID (if you are not vaccinated). Lots of young people are catching COVID once a year, so you may be rolling this COVID death dice on a yearly basis.

Thus your chances of dying of COVID each year are 8000 / 500 = 16 time higher than your annual chances of dying on the roads.

• Ill informed x 2
  • Disagree x 1

#7 michael0505

• 35 posts

Posted 24 December 2022 - 04:09 PM

Vaccines kill, put that in your mathematical model

• Agree x 2
  • Ill informed x 1

#8 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,074 posts

Posted 27 December 2022 - 11:32 PM

Where did you get that figure? It seems wrong mathematically.

About 40,000 people die each year in road accidents in the US. Given the US population of 332 million, that roughly equates each person having a 1 in 8000 chance of dying on the roads each year. 

If you are in your 30s, you have around a 1 in 500 chance of dying if you get COVID (if you are not vaccinated). Lots of young people are catching COVID once a year, so you may be rolling this COVID death dice on a yearly basis.

Thus your chances of dying of COVID each year are 8000 / 500 = 16 time higher than your annual chances of dying on the roads.

Using aggregate numbers for the entire population will not produce accurate estimations.

According to an insurance industry analyst who taught a defensive driving course at my workplace, my occupation, age and, miles driven per year, the risk of dying in a car accident was about 1 in 200. My risk of dying of COVID is about 1 in 20,000.

I could die of COVID tomorrow, no doubt, but there are many other things with higher risk in life.

• Good Point x 1
  • Informative x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: coronavirus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users