- - - - -

Potentiating benzodiazepines in anxiety treatment

benzodiazepines benzos potentiation anxiety

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#31 YoungSchizo

• 855 posts

Posted 03 June 2023 - 02:27 PM

I'm overweight too, mostly it's belly fat. I do have muscle too from years of lifting - it doesn't all seem to disappear despite not training. But some kind of exercise regimen would probably be a good idea now that I'm going to try live without tranquilizers.

Well that sucks, Naltrexone is generally well-tolerated med that can help with addictions and indeed may even have other benefits on mental health.

Looks like Lumateperone may be a good anti-psychotic as it lacks anticholinergic and antihistamine effects. It's good that they keep developing these new drugs since the current options leave much to be desired. I'm looking forward to some sort of breakthrough in anhedonia treatments.

Same here, I have a typical beer belly :laugh: I'm very athletic myself (even though I can't build muscle mass due to the use of antipsychotics) but due to a physical condition in my inner ear I can't train on a high level anymore, that also contributed to my alcoholism. When I didn't have a physical problem I would workout so hard all my mental symptoms would subside after a workout. Now I only can do low intensity cardio, it's good when you want to lose weight but it's not effective against stress, depression and anhedonia. I would advise you to first lose weight then do high intensity workout (strength and endurance combined instead of only weight lifting, it worked superb on my mental health).

Yeah my former psychiatrist I had for 5 years neglected me and she tried to make me homeless. What happened to me in 2016 and that stretched to 2021 all happened in front of her eyes and it all happened in the psychiatry. She denied me therapy and to help me with sleeping disorder and denied to help me with my alcoholism. My current psychiatrist supports me in my case against what played for 5 years in my former town.

I'm very excited about Lumateperone, it's the first in class that not directly attacks dopamine receptors, it will come to the market this year in the EU. Also I have had a look at Kava, it's a forbidden substance in the whole EU.

Edited by YoungSchizo, 03 June 2023 - 02:33 PM.

#32 Galaxyshock

• Topic Starter
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 03 June 2023 - 02:48 PM

It shouldn't taste bad. I get an organic dehydrated juice that is slightly peppery/gingery. And concentrated capsules with 50+ mg kavalactones.

The acute effects may only last a few hours. But the adaptogenic qualities linger for days.

In terms of weight gain, you need to monitor metabolic effects of antidepressant treatment. It may be caused by some medications.

Salvia and psilocybin are also good for addiction, likely due to their partial agonism at the D2 receptor site.

Though part of the anti-addiction effect may be due to the wild perceptual alterations and this later making it harder to rationalize addiction, there is investigation into semi-synthetic salvinorin derivatives with a longer duration of effect and also (maybe one day) ones without the psychedelic effect.

BulkSupplements Kava extract actually did have quite mild taste, but the Kava King powder honestly tasted like mud.  :laugh:

Well I guess antidepressant may have some effect of metabolism, but I'm not going to blame it for my weight gain - I blame beer, pizza and kebab lol.

When I didn't have a physical problem I would workout so hard all my mental symptoms would subside after a workout.

Sorry to hear a physical problem prevents you from training hard. Yeah the feeling after a workout is just great. Maybe I can get back into regular training.

Also I have had a look at Kava, it's a forbidden substance in the whole EU.

Really? I thought they removed the ban in countries like Germany.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#33 YoungSchizo

• 855 posts

Posted 03 June 2023 - 02:51 PM

Really? I thought they removed the ban in countries like Germany.

The site I visited in Dutch says it's a forbidden substance in the whole EU, so I dunno.

#34 Galaxyshock

• Topic Starter
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 03 June 2023 - 03:04 PM

The site I visited in Dutch says it's a forbidden substance in the whole EU, so I dunno.

I'm not sure either. I do know a vendor for Kava that operates inside EU, in Poland. I have not yet ordered anything from them though. I've heard people getting fines of several hundred euros from ordering stuff that isn't allowed in Finland. But perhaps it's worth the risk  :ph34r:

#35 Galaxyshock

• Topic Starter
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 03 June 2023 - 05:36 PM

Feeling OCDish, checking these forums quite compulsively. Maybe it's the excess glutamate from the benzo withdrawal, or perhaps the energy drink I had earlier. All in all, I'm back in LongeCity  :cool:

Anyways, what is the consensus on Bacopa, does it upregulate GABA-receptors or not? I remember the idea was debunked, meaning Bacopa only normalizes GABA in epilepsy, but we have speculated it might do that in other states of downregulation too - such as benzo dependency. I would like to revisit Bacopa, doesn't it also affect delta-opioid receptors?

#36 Galaxyshock

• Topic Starter
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 04 June 2023 - 07:29 AM

Yeah my former psychiatrist I had for 5 years neglected me and she tried to make me homeless. What happened to me in 2016 and that stretched to 2021 all happened in front of her eyes and it all happened in the psychiatry. She denied me therapy and to help me with sleeping disorder and denied to help me with my alcoholism. My current psychiatrist supports me in my case against what played for 5 years in my former town.

I'm very excited about Lumateperone, it's the first in class that not directly attacks dopamine receptors, it will come to the market this year in the EU. Also I have had a look at Kava, it's a forbidden substance in the whole EU.

Sorry to hear you've had bad experience with a psychiatrist. Personally I've had quite good experiences in psychiatric treatment in Finland. They don't force me to take anything, but do push crap stuff like Quetiapine for anxiety here. Also I've been told several times that Lorazepam is something you can't take regularly - which is probably sound advice but in my case isn't completely true.

Older antipsychotics are quite a brute force blocking every receptor known to a man. I don't understand how they expect the patient to feel functional on them. Lumateperone and serotonin-dopamine activity modulators seem like a step towards right direction.

Day 5 now in withdrawal from Lorazepam. Feeling surprisingly fine. I'm starting to think that perhaps Lorazepam had already lost most of its effects and it has been mostly psychological dependence at this point. I should get my supplements tomorrow so I'll start taking Magnesium and Reishi. I'll have search where I can buy Lemon Balm. I remember a local supplement store selling Lemon Balm whole herb, so maybe I'll buy it and make some herbal tea.  :)

#37 YoungSchizo

• 855 posts

Posted 04 June 2023 - 11:27 AM

Sorry to hear you've had bad experience with a psychiatrist. Personally I've had quite good experiences in psychiatric treatment in Finland. They don't force me to take anything, but do push crap stuff like Quetiapine for anxiety here. Also I've been told several times that Lorazepam is something you can't take regularly - which is probably sound advice but in my case isn't completely true.

Older antipsychotics are quite a brute force blocking every receptor known to a man. I don't understand how they expect the patient to feel functional on them. Lumateperone and serotonin-dopamine activity modulators seem like a step towards right direction.

Mine is terrible, it has been nothing more than being a prisoner that forcefully had to report himself every 2 weeks 17 years long (some sort of Britney situation). They helped criminals to get away with life sentences. I will cause havoc among the criminals that this to me and charlatans in the psychiatry that treated me as their slave.

Paranoid schizophrenia = life sentence in the Netherlands

I don't know if Finland uses the DSM-5 but it must be a sadistic handbook.

Edited by YoungSchizo, 04 June 2023 - 11:28 AM.

#38 YoungSchizo

• 855 posts

Posted 04 June 2023 - 11:36 AM

Feeling OCDish, checking these forums quite compulsively. Maybe it's the excess glutamate from the benzo withdrawal, or perhaps the energy drink I had earlier. All in all, I'm back in LongeCity  :cool:

Welcome back buddy, I never went away but LongeCity has been dead for years, I guess everyone is on reddit now? I don't like reddit, it has no flare like being on a forum like LongeCity

Day 5 now in withdrawal from Lorazepam. Feeling surprisingly fine. I'm starting to think that perhaps Lorazepam had already lost most of its effects and it has been mostly psychological dependence at this point. I should get my supplements tomorrow so I'll start taking Magnesium and Reishi. I'll have search where I can buy Lemon Balm. I remember a local supplement store selling Lemon Balm whole herb, so maybe I'll buy it and make some herbal tea.  :)

Keep up the good work, I'm glad you find your way back on a healthy path.

• like x 1

#39 Galaxyshock

• Topic Starter
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 04 June 2023 - 12:15 PM

Welcome back buddy, I never went away but LongeCity has been dead for years, I guess everyone is on reddit now? I don't like reddit, it has no flare like being on a forum like LongeCity

I don't like Reddit either, I used to sometimes lurk the nootropics section but not anymore. Yeah a lot of old posters have disappeared from here, which is unfortunate since I've always felt LongeCity is a nice community with a lot of smart minds. To me it seems back in the days people were more enthusiastic about nootropics and improving brain health, but after most of the new nootropic compounds turned out to be not that impressive they perhaps gave up. 

• Agree x 1

#40 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 04 June 2023 - 02:23 PM

I don't think people lost interest in supplements because a few RCs didn't pan out. Maybe new research is becoming increasingly hard to find, so the discussions died a bit.

It's a complicated issue. StrangeLove for example died in a car crash. Chrono has been less active, and I'm sure there's stuff that's happened behind the scenes or that we don't need to go into here. I think people still lurk here to see if new information is getting posted, even if authorship has declined. And reddit has certainly become a good place to find experience reports with different chemicals.

Reddit and Twitter have been sucking life out of smaller forums in recent years. A lot of things have tendencies toward monolith, monopoly.

Longecity in particular also suffered from Google's "medic" update where they categorized this kind of experimental self-help & bio-hacking as less safe. And the institute hasn't made the largest efforts to promote itself or adapt to change. Results may still show up in DuckDuckGo, but forum activity has dwindled over the years and new people don't want to join a dead forum. IMO some of the forums need to be combined to give a steadier stream of posts and encourage membership.

#41 YoungSchizo

• 855 posts

Posted 04 June 2023 - 02:48 PM

Reddit and Twitter have been sucking life out of smaller forums in recent years. A lot of things have tendencies toward monolith, monopoly.

I think this is the biggest factor what happened to LongeCity. I don't have Twitter and I'm not registered to many subreddits (mainly anti and pro psychiatry) but Reddit is like some sort of social media where there's no genuine discussion is allowed in anti or pro subreddits, it's very on-genuine like mainstream social media. People sadly don't realize this and stick to Reddit in their own bubble.

#42 Galaxyshock

• Topic Starter
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 04 June 2023 - 04:38 PM

I prefer smaller forums like this. I feel like we can give each other more personalized advice instead of bunch of no-names saying take this and try that. Even if it means the discussions aren't as active - a few replies from people like you guys whose opinions I respect is better than random people posting several pages. Well this is getting off-topic, but it's good that this came up. I plan to be more active on LongeCity again.

• like x 1

#43 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 04 June 2023 - 06:37 PM

I wouldn't disturb highly polarized sub-reddits. Better to gently nudge into more neutral ones. And it's definitely different. Complete strangers, some brilliant some frauds. Have to put your filters up a bit. Can't edit or add to a discussion after a few months (sucks for this kind of scientific stuff, which is always changing). Content seems to come up randomly, and you have to join a conversation early to have the best chances. Even then the chance of starting a thread or being massively upvoted is pretty uncommon. But I do value it as a database for experience reports. It's a great place to lurk.

• like x 1

#44 Galaxyshock

• Topic Starter
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 08:08 AM

Yes, lower dose. Bacopa at larger doses has a strong hypnagogic effect and can cause drowsiness and thyroid interactions. Lately, redditors have suggested lower doses (50-100 mg instead of 200-300 mg for 55% synapsa). I've found synapsa (full-spectrum) in particular has less of the sedating effects, especially at low doses, but i still think nighttime is best for bacopa. After the loading phase long ago, I've used it only a few times a week or month, but have still had benefits and consider it indispensable. I think a lot of people get turned away by the soporific qualities.

A Finnish online store sells Bacopa extract standardized to 20 % bacosides. 60 grams of powder that only costs €11,90 so it's quite cheap. This was the extract I took which made me oversleep though. But perhaps I can try taking a very small dose. Bacopa up-regulates tryptophan hydroxylase so I wonder if there's a risk for serotonin syndrome when taking it with SNRI? I would guess the risk is very small but can't be sure. Back in the days Bacopa when taken 1-2 weeks prior to withdrawing from Phenibut was able to vanish most of the wds so it can be very effective herb. Also the benefits in memory extend to healthy people according to research so there's that too.

Day 6 now and things still feeling quite fine. I notice some craving for alcohol to take the edge off at times. I guess I should warn random people reading this thread that just because I've managed to take benzos long term without getting into the notorious benzo hell, you may very well not be so lucky. Try other anxiety treatment options first.

#45 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 04:20 PM

Bacopa also upregulates SERT. It can cause emotional lability which is more closely linked to low extracellular serotonin than high[ https://pubmed.ncbi....h.gov/16479738/ ].

Bacopa has a lot of good effects. Just saw a study about preventing a ketamine model of rodent psychosis.

With a low dose, especially of the weak 20% extract, I doubt any significant interactions would occur. But always be vigilant.

And yes. You should have pretended to have a horrible headache and a horn growing out of your forehead. Now everyone is going to go with benzos

• Cheerful x 1

#46 Galaxyshock

• Topic Starter
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 05:11 PM

I'll put Bacopa on my list of things to give a proper trial again. My supplement budget is smaller than what it perhaps has been at some point, so I'll have to narrow things down a bit. From experience I also know that it's smarter to take few supplements that work consistently than a dozen of "possibly effective" supps.

Haha, yeah maybe a site like Benzobuddies is something everyone should visit before resorting to benzos, instead of my experience. But I hope this thread also gives some perspective to benzodiazepine treatment to people who have to take them.

I started Magnesium supplementation now. 450 mg from Magnesium Citrate. I think ScienceGuy mentioned that one can go up to 1 gram of elemental magnesium a day?

I also bought dual-extracted Reishi to be my main adaptogen for now. Interestingly Reishi potentiates barbiturates:

https://www.research...ergic_mechanism

But like gamesguru mentioned the GABA receptors are quite complicated.

• like x 1

#47 Galaxyshock

• Topic Starter
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 07 June 2023 - 08:12 AM

I had some restlessness and anxiety last night. Kept tossing and turning in bed for like two hours. I decided to take half a tablet (0,5 mg) of Lorazepam this morning because I have a lot of things to do and can't "afford" the possible withdrawal symptoms. It's not like I have to rush the withdrawal or something. But I do try to minimize the use of Lorazepam to when really needed. And perhaps I'll find something else to take the edge off like that Lemon Balm. Magnesium does seem to have a calming effect so I think it's a keeper. Reishi extract also seems to de-stress me nicely. With all this in mind, I'm quite confident I can manage without taking Lorazepam regularly. It's still a good med to have for certain situations. I actually keep one Lorazepam tablet in my wallet, it's mostly for a mental relief that if my anxiety gets bad I can take it, regardless where I am.  ;)

#48 YoungSchizo

• 855 posts

Posted 07 June 2023 - 02:24 PM

I had some restlessness and anxiety last night. Kept tossing and turning in bed for like two hours. I decided to take half a tablet (0,5 mg) of Lorazepam this morning because I have a lot of things to do and can't "afford" the possible withdrawal symptoms. It's not like I have to rush the withdrawal or something. But I do try to minimize the use of Lorazepam to when really needed. And perhaps I'll find something else to take the edge off like that Lemon Balm. Magnesium does seem to have a calming effect so I think it's a keeper. Reishi extract also seems to de-stress me nicely. With all this in mind, I'm quite confident I can manage without taking Lorazepam regularly. It's still a good med to have for certain situations. I actually keep one Lorazepam tablet in my wallet, it's mostly for a mental relief that if my anxiety gets bad I can take it, regardless where I am.  ;)

Even if you quit taking Lorazepam it would be wise to use it as needed and emergencies, I guess using it that way you don't even have to be worried about any longtime risks. I carry around Clonazepam whenever I will we be away from home for a long day and knowing I will go to crowded places where there's much stimulus, knowing and in case of emergencies those to much stimuli might trigger anxiety/paranoia.

I saw a post last day of an elderly that had been taking Clonazepam for 30 years and it always worked but she decided to wean off, it was a bad choice, her life is hell right now. As I already said in a previous post, in my case I rather stick to Clonazepam the rest of my life even if I have a higher chance of developing dementia than going through hell. And I rather stick to Clonazepam than being a alcoholic, for me that's also a saver option.

I was wondering did you ever tried Nardil? a lot of people with a main problem of anxiety are praising Nardil. Unfortunately it's unavailable in the Netherlands so I have never tried it. Did use 20mg Parnate for a long time, for suicidal ideation it worked great but I couldn't bump up the dose because it would trigger psychotic symptoms.

Edited by YoungSchizo, 07 June 2023 - 02:32 PM.

• like x 1

#49 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 07 June 2023 - 02:55 PM

Anyways, what is the consensus on Bacopa, does it upregulate GABA-receptors or not? I remember the idea was debunked, meaning Bacopa only normalizes GABA in epilepsy, but we have speculated it might do that in other states of downregulation too - such as benzo dependency. I would like to revisit Bacopa, doesn't it also affect delta-opioid receptors?

I think I would not drink energy drinks if I were withdrawing from benzos. They generally contain some very stimulating compounds. Check the label.

• like x 1

#50 Galaxyshock

• Topic Starter
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 07 June 2023 - 03:20 PM

Even if you quit taking Lorazepam it would be wise to use it as needed and emergencies, I guess using it that way you don't even have to be worried about any longtime risks. I carry around Clonazepam whenever I will we be away from home for a long day and knowing I will go to crowded places where there's much stimulus, knowing and in case of emergencies those to much stimuli might trigger anxiety/paranoia.

I saw a post last day of an elderly that had been taking Clonazepam for 30 years and it always worked but she decided to wean off, it was a bad choice, her life is hell right now. As I already said in a previous post, in my case I rather stick to Clonazepam the rest of my life even if I have a higher chance of developing dementia than going through hell. And I rather stick to Clonazepam than being a alcoholic, for me that's also a saver option.

I was wondering did you ever tried Nardil? a lot of people with a main problem of anxiety are praising Nardil. Unfortunately it's unavailable in the Netherlands so I have never tried it. Did use 20mg Parnate for a long time, for suicidal ideation it worked great but I couldn't bump up the dose because it would trigger psychotic symptoms.

I agree I won't be too harsh on myself if at times I resort to taking Lorazepam for situational anxiety or so. That's how it is prescribed for me.

Nope, haven't tried Nardil. It's not available in Finland either.

I think I would not drink energy drinks if I were withdrawing from benzos. They generally contain some very stimulating compounds. Check the label.

I was mostly kidding blaming it for me feeling OCDish. Not every discomfort can be explained by substance X or Y  :-D. But yeah not the best time to go crazy with caffeine and all, but I have quite a high caffeine tolerance so one energy drink doesn't affect me that much.

#51 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 07 June 2023 - 10:11 PM

Not to mention taurine (which a lot of people are really divided on).  Definitely want to check the label thoroughly... sucralose metabolites were very recently labeled as carcinogenic for example.

But yeah, generally in withdrawal you want to limit intake substances which have the opposite action as the one you're quitting or tapering off. So no stimulants when withdrawing from a depressant, etc.

#52 Galaxyshock

• Topic Starter
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 08 June 2023 - 07:58 AM

Yup energy drinks aren't particularly healthy I'm sure. I do really enjoy the taste though and the smooth boost an occasional can of Monster gives. Besides caffeine, sugar and taurine, it contains B-vitamins, Panax Ginseng and L-Carnitine. But right, I probably should stick to coffee for my caffeine, maybe I'll try adding some Theanine there too. I recieved 100 grams of theanine powder which was quite cheap (€15,90).

I'm still unsure what my long-term plan is with anxiety treatment. It may be that supplements/herbs/nootropics tackle it effectively also in long term. But if not, what options are there? I've heard good things about Afobazole some years ago, maybe I should look into these lesser known medications.

#53 YoungSchizo

• 855 posts

Posted 08 June 2023 - 10:22 AM

I'm still unsure what my long-term plan is with anxiety treatment. It may be that supplements/herbs/nootropics tackle it effectively also in long term. But if not, what options are there? I've heard good things about Afobazole some years ago, maybe I should look into these lesser known medications.

If you ever resort to Russian medicine like Afobazole, Semax or anything that's not available on the Western market will love it if you make a log out of it.

In the past I seriously wanted to try those and they were on my list but I stopped my own experiments on mental health years ago due to my 5 years of struggle with sleeping disorder.

#54 Galaxyshock

• Topic Starter
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 08 June 2023 - 11:41 AM

If you ever resort to Russian medicine like Afobazole, Semax or anything that's not available on the Western market will love it if you make a log out of it.

In the past I seriously wanted to try those and they were on my list but I stopped my own experiments on mental health years ago due to my 5 years of struggle with sleeping disorder.

I'll keep updating this thread with my experiences treating anxiety without benzos. I think we have good discussion going here. Other people are welcome to chime in too, especially if someone has experience in coming off benzos and managing anxiety without them would be great to hear their ideas. If I manage to obtain Afobazole or some other long-term anxiety med, yeah maybe I'll indeed make a separate log out of it.  :) For now, I'll see how my current stack works.

#55 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 09 June 2023 - 07:09 PM

It would be nice to find a treatment that is a real "fix" rather than a band aid (like benzos for instance).

Stellate Ganglion Blocks have been put forward as a treatment for PTSD and other forms of anxiety. It's usually not quite "one and done" which is the ideal, but for some people it's a handful of treatments that will sometimes last years. There is a lot of anecdotal cases in this vein and there is some research supporting it, thought not as much as I'd like to see.

That said I'm still trying to figure out if it's a real thing or not.

I have personally spoken to people that had it done that said it put their anxiety issues into remission for in excess of a year or more. Have spoken to other people that say they keep their anxiety/ptsd issues totally under control with periodic treatments every 6-9 months. Almost all of these were people who had tried and failed almost every conceivable mainline treatment (SSRIs, SNRIs, atypicals, anti-psychotics, MAOIs, CBT, meditation, biofeedback, EMDR, yada yada yada). When I hear something like that I start to believe there's something to it and we're not just looking at placebo. Almost anyone can "placebo" themselves into thinking almost any treatment works for a time - maybe a month or two at most. But not that long.

• like x 1

#56 Galaxyshock

• Topic Starter
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 10 June 2023 - 07:55 AM

It would be nice to find a treatment that is a real "fix" rather than a band aid (like benzos for instance).

Stellate Ganglion Blocks have been put forward as a treatment for PTSD and other forms of anxiety. It's usually not quite "one and done" which is the ideal, but for some people it's a handful of treatments that will sometimes last years. There is a lot of anecdotal cases in this vein and there is some research supporting it, thought not as much as I'd like to see.

That said I'm still trying to figure out if it's a real thing or not.

I have personally spoken to people that had it done that said it put their anxiety issues into remission for in excess of a year or more. Have spoken to other people that say they keep their anxiety/ptsd issues totally under control with periodic treatments every 6-9 months. Almost all of these were people who had tried and failed almost every conceivable mainline treatment (SSRIs, SNRIs, atypicals, anti-psychotics, MAOIs, CBT, meditation, biofeedback, EMDR, yada yada yada). When I hear something like that I start to believe there's something to it and we're not just looking at placebo. Almost anyone can "placebo" themselves into thinking almost any treatment works for a time - maybe a month or two at most. But not that long.

Indeed switching from one band aid to another is kinda what I've been doing over the years. Not all the time but the tendency is there.

Interesting, hadn't heard of Stellate Ganglion Blocks, thanks for telling about it. I have no idea about the availability of such treatment in Finland though as I couldn't find much from a quick Google search. That's quite remarkable if it has put anxiety into remission on people who have exhausted most of currently available treatments.

I think my plan is to first try managing anxiety with the current ideas I have in mind. If I'm not satisfied I'll look into medications and ask my psychiatrist if there's something that's worth a trial. If anxiety is still reducing my life quality I'll give alternative treatments like Stellate Ganglion Blocks and maybe even ECT a serious consideration.

I should mention I'm not anxious all the time like back in 2016 or so. It sort of fluctuates where there are better days and worse days. Also the summer time is easier for me when it comes to mental health.

#57 YoungSchizo

• 855 posts

Posted 10 June 2023 - 08:19 AM

I think my plan is to first try managing anxiety with the current ideas I have in mind. If I'm not satisfied I'll look into medications and ask my psychiatrist if there's something that's worth a trial. If anxiety is still reducing my life quality I'll give alternative treatments like Stellate Ganglion Blocks and maybe even ECT a serious consideration.

Did you just say ECT, are you willing to fry your brain? Gonna stop you there buddy, I'm not allowing this. There is rTMS for depression, isn't there rTMS for anxiety. You should also seriously look into psychedelics treatments.

#58 Galaxyshock

• Topic Starter
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 10 June 2023 - 08:29 AM

Did you just say ECT, are you willing to fry your brain? Gonna stop you there buddy, I'm not allowing this. There is rTMS for depression, isn't there rTMS for anxiety. You should also seriously look into psychedelics treatments.

I'll fry my brain alright, to the point my amygdala drops off. Haha, yeah ECT is probably not the route I want to take. It was once suggested for me though and I know one person who had good results with ECT for depression. Haven't looked into rTMS, but I guess psychedelics are something worth considering. Isn't MDMA also given in therapeutic setting for things like PTSD?

#59 YoungSchizo

• 855 posts

Posted 10 June 2023 - 09:11 AM

I'll fry my brain alright, to the point my amygdala drops off. Haha, yeah ECT is probably not the route I want to take. It was once suggested for me though and I know one person who had good results with ECT for depression. Haven't looked into rTMS, but I guess psychedelics are something worth considering. Isn't MDMA also given in therapeutic setting for things like PTSD?

If I really was treatment resistant psychotic I would do ECT out of desperation, no way I will otherwise risk my cognition and memory with that torture method.

I don't know what the roots of anxiety is, you and your psychiatrist (or therapist) do so I dunno which of the psychedelics will fit for your issues. MDMA is indeed useful for people with PTSD, Ketamine for depression, LSD addiction, magic mushroom I don't remember. All I know is that psychedelics is a promising longtime treatment where you can fully recover after therapeutic treatment. If PTSD causes your anxiety then MDMA is a serious option to consider, it's considered a love-drug, with a therapeutic treatment you will create new insights what triggered your PTSD and sort of embrace it in a positive manner and with that effect you will be cured from anxiety/PTSD. 

Even though I have psychotic spectrum disorder, I'm not afraid to resort to psychedelics if it ever be allowed as a treatment option, it would be worth a try.

Edited by YoungSchizo, 10 June 2023 - 09:18 AM.

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#60 Galaxyshock

• Topic Starter
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 10 June 2023 - 10:50 AM

I agree I too would probably have to be very desperate before resorting to ECT. Right now I don't think I'm THAT treatment-resistant, I remain optimistic. I've been anxious person since teenager, and things got worse when resorting to things like Phenibut during adulthood. Psychedelics I guess could reveal something when it comes to the roots of my anxiety.

Low dose Naltrexone (LDN) is on ScienceGuy's list of safe and effective anxiolytics. I have 50 mg Naltrexone tablets, I wonder if there is a way to somehow split them to try LDN. There are also couple of other things in ScienceGuy's list that I haven't tried. I don't agree with his main idea that all GABAergics are bad, but he's done some good research on non-GABAergic anxiolytics.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: benzodiazepines, benzos, potentiation, anxiety

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users