• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Metformin reduces long covid likelihood by 63% when started within 3 days of symptoms

coronavirus

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 smithx

• 1,433 posts

Posted 16 June 2023 - 05:56 AM

A 14 day course of metformin reduces long covid likelihood by 63% when started by day 3 of symptoms.

Summary:

https://www.cidrap.u...vent-long-covid

The paper (vs Ivermectin and fluvoxamine):
https://www.thelance...0299-2/fulltext

The dosage:

All study drugs were oral medications in tablet form. The metformin dose was titrated over 6 days: 500 mg on day 1, 500 mg twice daily on days 2–5, then 500 mg in the morning and 1000 mg in the evening up to day 14.

• Informative x 2
  • like x 2

#2 smithx

• Topic Starter
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 16 June 2023 - 11:45 PM

The fact that someone thought that reporting a very significant study was pointless and timewasting  indicates to me that the quality of this forum has degraded to a very sad level.

• Agree x 1

#3 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 17 June 2023 - 01:52 AM

I thought the same thing when I saw it smithx.  I've often said I'm not particularly frightened of dying, but I really don't want to live my last years of life substantially compromised.  

Am thinking of looking into getting some metformin from my overseas pharmacy, as my GP probably wouldn't prescribe it unless fully approved by FDA for COVID.  

#4 Hip

• 2,396 posts

Posted 17 June 2023 - 04:14 AM

I think this is an interesting study, though one reservation about it is that in the cohort studied, the incidence of long COVID was almost 11%, according to this article

11% is a very high figure, given that calculations I did elsewhere indicate that your chances of developing the hellish disease of long COVID ME/CFS from a COVID infection are around 1 in 100.

So this suggests that the study may have a very broad definition of long COVID, which includes not only the dire ME/CFS form of long COVID, but other disparate conditions which fall under the long COVID banner, such as dysautonomia, heart and lung damage, etc.

I would be interested to know how effective metformin is for preventing the ME/CFS form of long COVID, because that is a lifelong hellish disease that you absolutely don't want to contract.

Edited by Hip, 17 June 2023 - 04:15 AM.

• Good Point x 1
  • like x 1

#5 Hip

• 2,396 posts

Posted 17 June 2023 - 04:51 AM

The fact that someone thought that reporting a very significant study was pointless and timewasting  indicates to me that the quality of this forum has degraded to a very sad level.

Yes, there are lots of irritatingly brainless people congregating on Longecity these days. The forum really ought to give an IQ test before letting new members join.

Edited by Hip, 17 June 2023 - 04:54 AM.

• Unfriendly x 1
  • Cheerful x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: coronavirus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users