Photo

Niacin limits the progression of Alzheimer's disease

niacin alzheimers

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 osris

• 531 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 04:22 PM

Researchers at Indiana University School of Medicine discovered that niacin limited the progression of Alzheimer's disease in lab models. This means that mice treated with niacin showed fewer amyloid plaques and better cognitive performance compared to untreated mice.

The study explored how niacin interacts with microglia, immune cells in the brain. Niacin activates a specific receptor on microglia, prompting them to clear amyloid plaques more effectively. This suggests that targeting microglia function could be a promising avenue for Alzheimer's treatment.

• Informative x 3
  • like x 1

#2 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 20 February 2024 - 09:37 PM

I don't really want to take this off topic, but I was under the impression that niacin was a very beneficial nutrient and worth taking as a supplement. It seems most of the research bears this out, as you posted above, however,

I just came across this research that claims excess niacin is bad for your heart. I guess the "dose makes the poison"? Maybe. Considering that most medical and health research is not reproducible (well-proven), maybe this is a poor or misinterpreted negative result from analyzing niacin usage, considering the voluminous positive research that is in contrast. 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 pamojja

• 2,841 posts

Posted 21 February 2024 - 12:19 PM

I think they found this metabolite of high niacin in blood tests, mainly by niacin supplementers. Most often already with CVD, they are of course at higher risks than non-supplementers.

#4 osris

• Topic Starter
  • 531 posts

Posted 21 February 2024 - 01:15 PM

I don't really want to take this off topic, but I was under the impression that niacin was a very beneficial nutrient and worth taking as a supplement. It seems most of the research bears this out, as you posted above, however,

I just came across this research that claims excess niacin is bad for your heart. I guess the "dose makes the poison"? Maybe. Considering that most medical and health research is not reproducible (well-proven), maybe this is a poor or misinterpreted negative result from analyzing niacin usage, considering the voluminous positive research that is in contrast. 

It could be just a Big Pharma "study" to get people to carry on taking statins.

• Good Point x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 21 February 2024 - 06:05 PM

It could be just a Big Pharma "study" to get people to carry on taking statins.

Great point. This has happened with many other diseases and drugs - big pharma influencing the results of studies. It would be worth investigating the conflicts of interest.

• Agree x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: niacin, alzheimers

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users