Breeding pet rats to live longer

rats breeding aging research

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Acetylglutathione

• 8 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 February 2024 - 12:47 PM

I am a rat breeder, selling rats to pet owners and others. I also have experience breeding other animals if anyone is interested.

I currently have 39, some of which are dark, others white, hairless, big and small, over 1 year old and under 1 month old.

As you all know, rats multiply extremely fast and 2 rats can become over 1000 in a year so I could easily arrive at 100s or 1000s of rats in a short time

I've been interested in breeding rats for increased life expectancy because as you all know both wild and pet rats generally only live to be 2 years or around that age. It would be nice to break the current record of 7 years?

Does anyone have knowledge which breeding technique would maximize longevity genes?

#2 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 23 February 2024 - 06:31 PM

Another member is raising/breeding rats and conducting life extension experiments. Check it out. Maybe there is some collaboration opportunity.

• Good Point x 1

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 QuestforLife

• NO

Posted 27 February 2024 - 02:58 PM

regarding techniques for maximising longevity, from my understanding time to maturity is correlated to longevity. So what that means is that if you preferentially bred those rats that took longer to reach sexual maturity (assuming you can determine this), you would after a number of generations obtain longer lived rats.

Edited by QuestforLife, 27 February 2024 - 02:59 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rats, breeding, aging research

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users