Antipsychotics with stimulants together for cognitive function

mental cognitive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Acetylglutathione

• 8 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 April 2024 - 08:49 PM

This has been studied before with some success on improving cognitive function.

The idea is that atypical antipsychotics block the 5HT2A receptor thus improving cognition, and block the D2 receptor, thus inhibiting psychosis and mania, while the stimulants increase dopamine and thereby indirectly increase D1, D3, D4 and D5 activity, thus mitigating the cognitive issues seen in many psychiatric disorders including bipolar, schizophrenia, adhd, and so on.

I have tried this myself with 5mg abilify and 20mg ritalin although without much success

But has anyone of you found a combo that works?

#2 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 02 April 2024 - 03:27 PM

Antipsychotics aren't drugs to be played with lightly. Even some of the 2nd/3rd gen drugs can have significant and in some cases long lasting (up to and including permanent) side effects. Tardive dyskinesia being the most noteworthy.

Personally I wouldn't touch them, but if you do I would tread lightly and eject at the first sign of TD or any other movement disorder.

• Good Point x 1
  • Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 Galaxyshock

• 1,509 posts

Posted 03 April 2024 - 02:39 AM

I agree with Daniel Cooper. Antipsychotics are really only good for treating acute psychosis. 5 mg of Aripiprazole should be pretty mild though, I think it's sometimes used to adjunct antidepressants. Low-dose Amisulpride would perhaps be your best bet if you really want to try APs for something else than treating psychotic disorders:

Amisulpride is believed to work by blocking, or antagonizing, the dopamine D2 receptor, reducing its signalling. The effectiveness of amisulpride in treating dysthymia and the negative symptoms of schizophrenia is believed to stem from its blockade of the presynaptic dopamine D2 receptors. These presynaptic receptors regulate the release of dopamine into the synapse, so by blocking them amisulpride increases dopamine concentrations in the synapse. This increased dopamine concentration is theorized to act on dopamine D1 receptors to relieve depressive symptoms (in dysthymia) and the negative symptoms of schizophrenia.[10]

→ source (external link)

#4 hotnerds26

• 3 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 April 2024 - 05:39 PM

Antipsychotics are like putting sand into your gearbox to reduce your driving speed. They simply disturb normal cognitive and bodily functions in a detrimental way. They are only useful for short-term application. Basically there is no clean evidence to support long-term use, other than rigged and fallacious pharma studies that try to compare apples with oranges and lure you to draw incorrect conclusions. Much of what you probably believe about neurochemical imbalance and other information that is circulated in psychiatric context and journals is pharma disinformation that whatever industry swallows to make profits from it. Equally using Ritalin or cocaine to improve your mental performance is highly questionable, regardless of whatever medical diagnoses you have (but it obviously is effective at what it does, the price you pay for it like with cigarette smoking could or could not be worth it to you). However, whoever does this should not deceive themselves with whatever medical BS about the true nature of such practice.

Edited by hotnerds26, 07 April 2024 - 05:41 PM.

• like x 1
  • Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#5 Neurocryo

• 60 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 02:33 AM

Antipsychotics aren't drugs to be played with lightly. Even some of the 2nd/3rd gen drugs can have significant and in some cases long lasting (up to and including permanent) side effects. Tardive dyskinesia being the most noteworthy.

Personally I wouldn't touch them, but if you do I would tread lightly and eject at the first sign of TD or any other movement disorder.

I take paliperidone with low dose propanalol for restless leg.  It works.  I agree dont play with APS lightly, I was 9b modafinil in addition to this regimen for about 4 years.  I recently got off of it due to insurance and have noticed my liver is better and my overall conscious experience seems to be more connected with reality.  iMO modafinil is no good and you need to make it work without it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mental, cognitive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users