Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

What kind of music do you listen to?

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#1 bender

• 44 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 08:26 AM

I know it may sound old, but this is always an intriguing question. Don't be shy =)

Me: no favorite genre in particular. Favorites include The Prodigy, Scorpions, Klubbheads, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Tatu, some hits from reggaeton...

So what are your favorites?

#2 synaesthetic

• 230 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 07:31 PM

I spin drum n bass and mess around with breakcore in ableton live.
I pretty much love all "good" music, but I've had my head in electronica for quite some time.

#3 chubtoad

• Life Member
  • 976 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 08:30 PM

Mexican music. reggaeton, salsa, merengue etc.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 August 2006 - 09:20 PM

Don't be shy =)

Okay! [lol]

Does anyone else buy external hard drives because they can't bring themselves to delete music?

"indie" rock (whatever that means), alternative/experimental, alternative metal, heavy metal (to a large extent I've moved away from this subgenre), early progressive rock, classic rock, post punk revival

Below is a modified version of a list I have saved on my computer for profiles (I'll still add to it from time to time):
------------------------------------------------------------------------
radiohead - isn't listing radiohead almost obligatory these days? some of their stuff doesn't really do it for me, but I guess that's the risk you take when you're so experimental.

the smashing pumpkins - my favorite band when I was growing up. either you love the shrill vocals, or you hate them, but you can't deny the instrumental talent.

the beatles - how can you not like the beatles?

beck - some of his stuff just sounds like noise to me, but odelay and mutations are awesome albums

nirvana, alice in chains, green day, NIN - I was a high school freshman in 1993. need I say more?

david bowie - no explanation needed

modest mouse - particularly their first album TIALDFSWNTTA

tenoring - as in caruso, pavarotti, carreras, bocelli, domingo (familial transmission)

interpol - coming out with a new album soon (hopefully). one of my favorite indie/post-punk bands

old school elton john - captain fantastic is john's pinnacle imo, after which he got progressively more poppy, though IGTWTCITB is one of my favorites.

led zeppelin - although now I try to stay away from some of their songs because of emotional associations - like "Thank You", which I avoid like the plague.

cheesy 80's music - hey, I was programmed to like it!

weezer - in retrospect weezer is very corny, but you couldn't be cool in high school without jamming to it.

simon&garfunkel - a bit of an oddball pick for me.

the rolling stones, jethro tull, jefferson airplane, jimmy hendrix - all through maternal transmission.

other notables:

system of a down, depeche mode, built to spill, eric clapton, pixies, flaming lips, old school metallica, pantera, tool, pinback, the strokes, oasis, AC/DC, cursive, the police, pavement, tenacious d...

Other than that I can also handle some rap in very small doses, but I have absolutely no tolerance for country, latin or gospel.

#5 Pablo M

• 636 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 10:20 PM

Classical: I subscribe to Naxos streaming radio. Since classical music is known to moderately raise intelligence, I figure an infinite amount of time spent listening to it will leave me hyper-intelligent.

#6 advancedatheist

• 1,419 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 10:23 PM

Speaking of music, neuroscientist Richard Sapolsky suggests that it offers a window into when the human brain starts to reject novelty:

When do we lose our taste for the new?
http://ccnmtl.columb.../newyorker.html

In my case, I've listened to classical on and off over the years, and lately I've also started to listen to jazz. I recognize a lot of the pop music from the 60's and 70's when I grew up, but I find it odd that I'd want to listen to those songs indefinitely.

Of course, I've also started to eat sushi, which Sapolsky thinks that I shouldn't do at my age (47 in November) because I should have already shut off my willingness to explore novelty in food.

Edited by advancedatheist, 05 August 2006 - 11:11 PM.

#7 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 August 2006 - 12:43 AM

When we combined those results with a measure of how variable the data were, we figured out that if you are more than thirty-five years old when a style of popular music is introduced there's a greater than ninety-five per cent chance that you will never choose to listen to it. The window has closed.

I do tend to think that most human minds' eventually arrive at a point of stasis with regards to their preferences and level of experimentation. The line of inquiry brought up by Sapolsky is particularly provocative because it explores the topic of sensual modalities, in contrast to my customary analytical focus. I must say that I continue to (have an intuitive hunch) notice a pattern within psychology and cognitive neuroscience that hints at an eventual synthesis of sorts between perceptual and conceptual mind states.

Some propositions:

Language is only a tool used by cognitions to interface (ie, communicate) with one another. Language is indicative of, but not synonymous with cognition.

Cognition itself is a causal process, but connectionist models based soley (or even strongly) on semantic relations will fall far short of reaching human level intelligence.

...just some ramblings... [8)]

#8 bender

• Topic Starter
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 04:13 AM

I find that lately I've been using music to tap into certain moods - kind of like athletes do before a race, except I do it on a regular basis. It certainly seems like music has qualities to produce chemical reactions in the brain that we find desirable depending on the instance.

#9 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 August 2006 - 08:32 AM

I listen to bands like:

Guns n Roses
Old metallica albums
Green Day
Blink 182
Angels and Airwaves
Nirvana
Red hot chilli peppers
Foo fighters
Smashing pumpkins
Rage against the machine
Staind
Placebo
Shakira - this one probably stands out, but I like her spanish albums.

Also listen to music from people like elvis, little richard, and other oldies. I like spanish music too... There are lots more, my music collection is huge, I sometimes listen to other stuff but depends on my mood at the time.

I was in a band for a couple years and have played the guitar for around 6 years now.

Edited by Matt, 06 August 2006 - 08:43 AM.

#10 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 August 2006 - 02:46 PM

I like the progressive rock from the seventies (i guess I'm a conservative regarding progressive music [lol] ). Mainly the groups that are around even today, like King Crimson and YES. I also like Genesis and Peter Gabriel very much. These last 2 are viewed by many as progressive also, but to my opinion it's more mainstream, even the older Genesis from the Gabriel period.

The last CD I bought (yes, I do sometimes) is "Resonator" from Tony Levin. Very good lyrics with some humor as well.

from Throw the God a Bone :

My dog Lilly thinks that I am a god

Throw the god a bone, if you can reach him on his cell phone

We've just about built condos on the moon

gods have come and gone before
sometimes it seems the sky in one revolving door
there are some godly fundamentals:
up on Mt. Olympus you can't buy, it's only rentals

#11 kenj

• 747 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 04:18 PM

QUOTE (DonSpanton)
old school elton john - captain fantastic is john's pinnacle imo, after which he got progressively more poppy

Yeah, the early Elton John is a real fave of mine, - I've read a few books about him and also his partnership with Bernie Taupin, I really *love* the way he was given a set of lyrics, he sat down and just MADE the music in the actual first moment in front of the ol' piano, - I think "Daniel" or which was it, was made in few minutes? Can't remember.

QUOTE (DonSpanton)
IGTWTCITB

That made me dizzy, - I can't see which one?

#12 kraemahz

• 157 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 07:34 PM

At the moment I've been listening to Pandora Internet Radio and it's expanded my bands by several.

I like symphonic/orchestral metal with fantasy themes, as such I listen a lot to:

Blind Guardian <- At the top of my list for a reason
Nightwish
Demons and Wizards
Hammerfall
Kamelot
Vanden Plas
Symphony X

Other than that, I listen to quite a bit between metal, hard rock, punk, indierock, and even a little JRock/anime music (in no particular order): Muse, Rammstein, Bad Religion, the Arcade Fire, Celldweller, the Pillows, the Massmissile, Evanesence, Megadeth, ocasionally Disturbed and SOAD, and many more that I listen to on occasion.

Btw, Don, a while ago I downloaded quite a bit of both Radiohead and Led Zepplin, but I could never get into either of them. I think it's probably because I have so much material it's hard to sift through it all to find something I like without becoming jaded. Do you have any suggestions of songs?

#13 MichaelAnissimov

• 905 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 07:59 PM

http://www.last.fm/user/anissimov/

#14 rhakshasa

• 136 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 08:17 PM

Rhapsody, Blind Guardian, etc (Power metal!)

#15 JohnDoe1234

• 1,097 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 02:41 AM

I mostly listen to classic rock... and some german industrial, AKA: Rammstein [thumb] but lately I've been listening to a lot of Ambient Downtempo stuff, it's really nice, there are very few beats and it's really soothing music (helps me concentrate) I encourage you guys to check it out: Ryan Farish, Steve Roach, Cyclic Law, Amethystium, just to name a few.

#16 Pablo M

• 636 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 04:37 AM

QUOTE (Matt)
Rage against the machine

Awesome, awesome band. After all these years I can still find depth and meaning in their lyrics. Zach de la Rocha is simply an amazing poet and great human being. Make some tea, put on Rage and crank the Nakamichi... that's where it's all at.

#17 AdamDavis

• 539 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 02:41 PM

In all honesty...I much favour thinking, fantasizing and contemplating music theories and musicology and it's subcategories rather than actually listening to music...well, music that currently exists. I still do listen to music of course, and enjoy it: I like Carsten Nicolai, Ryoji Ikeda, Kraftwerk, Brian Eno, and Amphetish of course. I also tune into Classic FM frequently. What would completely satisfy me, however, was if Transhumanist/Immortalist bands and artists came into prominence; I have seen a few references to people like E. Shaun Russel, Lauri Grohn, some Industrial bands with supposed Transhumanist themes et cetera...but only names and not much else :(...musicians who engage in life extension rather than a self-destructive rock 'n' roll lifestyle and drink green tea so the effects of hard touring are mostly kept at bay...

Of course, this is not one hundred per cent of how I feel. I know there are many Pop stars who drink plenty of water to keep their vocal cords supple, do plentiful exercise to keep in shape (perhaps the pressures of looking good from the media and major labels can be benefitial occasionally?) and can afford much better food than others et cetera, and so are naturally extending their lives. Perhaps a famous musician will join ImmInst sometime.

(Ray Kurzweil should release an album!)

#18 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 08:38 PM

METAL!!!

-Infernity

#19 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 09:37 PM

When I work out: Rush, Joe Satriani, Janes Addiction...

When I study or think: Bach, Beethoven, Brahms, Mendelssohn, Mozart, Vivaldi... (my favorite modern classical musician is Hilary Hahn; I purchased all of her albums, and seen her in concert twice)...edit: Since I started listening to her play, I've also been exposed to: Stravinsky, Shostakovich, Barber, and Sibelius.

http://www.hilaryhahn.com/albums.shtml

You can hear her discuss her latest Mozart album here:

Sonata in G major, K.301
http://www.hilaryhah...rt_sonata-g.ram

The rest: http://www.hilaryhah...t-sonatas.shtml

When I'm chillin, driving, walking, or otherwise: Grateful Dead, Phish, that kind of stuff.

Edited by nootropikamil, 12 August 2006 - 10:06 PM.

#20 the_eternal

• 66 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 10:08 AM

I'm mainly into metal, but I don't listen to the really hardcore stuff like it used to and the high pitched screaming lyrics annoy the **** out of me, I mainly prefer super heavy music with growled or understandable lyrics.

eg. Disturbed, Static-X, Dope, Fear Factory, Nonpoint, Lamb of God, Mudvayne. At my softer time I'll go for something like Tool, Fuel, Filter, Staind etc.

Anyway, Chronix Radio is an awesome stream, they've even got it split into alternative and metal streams.

#21 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 10:38 PM

QUOTE (infernity)
METAL!!!

What "metal" bands do you like, Infernity?

#22 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 August 2006 - 10:45 PM

Another electronic "oldie" that comes to mind is
"Lifeforms" of Future Sound of London. A bit weird but very original!
I would advice the album version, not the EP.

#23 Karomesis

• 1,010 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 02:18 AM

in the same hour, I will listen to the following.

tool

chopin ( nocturnes)

mobb deep

jhonny mathis

mozart ( requiem)

nine inch nails

I listen to violent rap/heavy metal when working out to increse testosterone, and subsequently, listen to chopin at night to soothe my savage beast
[sfty]

essentially, music is many different things to me.

#24 Utnapishtim

• 219 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 02:24 AM

My taste is also a pretty mixed bag
What I've listened to today

Miles Davis Kind of Blue
Mozart: Zauber Flote
Notorious B.I.G Ready To die
The Doors

#25 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 07:22 AM

I think Phish, after 1993 or 1994 started to fall apart creatively. I saw some SUPER SICK shows they played and was thoroughly impressed by Trey and Page. The bassist: Mike Gordon is way cool and I've seen the drummer "Phishman?" play a vaccum on stage! They are one WEIRD band, but so original.

1992 was their best year for live concerts by the recordings I heard.

Their best albums, in my opinion, in order from best to worst is:

1. Junta May 08, 1989
http://www.phish.com...etail.php?ID=55
Best Song: You Enjoy Myself, Fluffhead is great too. Well, that whole album is kick ass (David Bowie!). I have, on my computer, a version of You Enjoy Myself live when Sanata (and his entire band of drummers!) joined Phish for live show...and Santana said that he was "drooling on his guitar" after playing with Trey and that playing with Trey is like "playing with God."

Lyrics to You Enjoy Myself:

Boy
Man
God
Shit

Wash uffizi, drive me to Firenze (X4)

Boy, man.. Wash uffizi, drive me to Firenze
Wash uffizi, drive me to Firenze (X2)

Wash UFFIZI drive me to Firenze (X4)

Clip:
http://www.phish.com...ta_d1_02yem.mp3

Seriously. But it's one bad ass jam!

This guy Trey is among the best guitar players I've ever seen on this planet. I'd like to play with him one day if I can ever get myself good enough.

2. http://www.phish.com...etail.php?ID=50 February 02, 1993
Rift

2. Tie with Rift: http://www.phish.com...detail.php?ID=2
Billy Breathes:

Character Zero (3:59)
http://www.phish.com...02character.mp3

3. http://www.phish.com...etail.php?ID=54
Lawn Boy

Run Like An Antelope (9:52) has super guitar playing!

4. http://www.phish.com...etail.php?ID=51
Picture Of Nectar

February 18, 1992

4. Is a tie with Picture of Necar:

Hoist

http://www.phish.com...etail.php?ID=47

Axilla Lyrics (this song is the closest Phish ever came to "METAL")

I never understood what my body was for
That's why I always leave it layin out on the floor
The shape a curiosity
Where different faces fit before

And tracing my image in the sand
To pass the time from slip to fall
The line I trace begins to weave
A tangled web from wall to wall

Song sample here:

http://www.phish.com...05axillapt2.mp3

Phish play(ed) [they broke up] a different set every night and makes ALL LIVE concerts free for legal public download.

Haven't any of you guys heard of Phish before?

Edited by nootropikamil, 17 February 2007 - 10:22 PM.

#26 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 07:54 AM

Here's their wiki page if you have never heard of them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phish

Phish was an American rock band noted for jamming and improvisation. The band's four members performed together for the better part of 21 years, until their breakup in August 2004. Their music has elements of a wide variety of genres, including rock, jazz, bluegrass, heavy metal, folk, blues, progressive rock, acoustic, and classical. Each Phish concert was original in terms of the songs included, the order in which they appeared, and the way in which they were performed: most of their songs were never played the same way twice. Although the group received little radio play or MTV exposure, Phish developed a large following by word of mouth and the exchange of live recordings.

Cool pic of one of their shows:
http://upload.wikime...6/65/Alpine.jpg

http://upload.wikime.../BBKingTrey.jpg
Trey Anastasio and B.B. King

Notable guests
Phish transcended genres, as evidenced by the sheer number and varying backgrounds of guests who took the stage with them over the years. In addition to Nelson, Young, Santana and Jay-Z, Phish shared the stage with, among many others, Jimmy Buffett, George Clinton and Parliament/Funkadelic, Bela Fleck, Wynonna Judd, Kid Rock, B.B. King, Phil Lesh, Dave Matthews Band, Sarah McLachlan, Buddy Miles and Bob Weir.

#27 Dream

• 47 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 04:20 AM

I am listening to Mozart, Sonata in C right this instant.

Kurzweil doing an album would be interesting for me because I follow the man fairly closely - his "alter-ego" is a 20-something female rock star.

Don and I are very similar in our musical tastes, though after living in North Carolina with a fiance who liked some country, I have learned to like some as well.

My personal favorites include (but are not limited to):

Annie Lennox
The Cure
Type O Negative
Mozart
Bach
Travis Tritt
Orbital
Messiah
2Pac
Coolio
Guns 'n' Roses
Aerosmith
Bob Marley
Rolling Stones
U2
Prince
Tori Amos
Wyclef Jean
Counting Crows
Pink
Dire Straits
Norah Jones
Madonna
INXS
Van Halen
Jimmi Hendrix
Information Society
Sting
Talking Heads

#28 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 07:19 AM

Kamil, just take a look at the left here. under "Infernity's Music".... it takes few seconds to load it all though.

-Infernity

#29 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 08:12 AM

Oh, you mean HEAVY metal! Like thrash metal.

Metallica, Megadeth, SLAYER.

I just don't like the kind of songs that talk about killing people or cannibalism. If you like that stuff, check out Joe Satriani's album: The Extremist

http://www.amazon.co...v=glance&n=5174

There is not one word on the album. It's some exquisite guitar playing (it's mostly three piece stuff [drms, guitar, bass])

#30 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 08:19 AM

QUOTE (dream)
I am listening to Mozart, Sonata in C right this instant.

Kurzweil doing an album would be interesting for me because I follow the man fairly closely - his "alter-ego" is a 20-something female rock star.

Don and I are very similar in our musical tastes, though after living in North Carolina with a fiance who liked some country, I have learned to like some as well.

My personal favorites include (but are not limited to):

Annie Lennox
The Cure
Type O Negative
Mozart
Bach
Travis Tritt
Orbital
Messiah
2Pac
Coolio
Guns 'n' Roses
Aerosmith
Bob Marley
Rolling Stones
U2
Prince
Tori Amos
Wyclef Jean
Counting Crows
Pink
Dire Straits
Norah Jones
Madonna
INXS
Van Halen
Jimmi Hendrix
Information Society
Sting
Talking Heads

That's quite a variety of music you like!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users