Photo

What kind of music do you listen to?

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#61 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 October 2006 - 08:53 PM

I've been playing guitar for 6 years... also have all my own recording equipment so I try to create and record when I can.

#62 kottke

• 246 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 06:22 PM

Yea man that Beck albums pretty rockin... but i highly suggest anyone who really likes good music to get the new Mars Volta album-The Amputechture.

http://en.wikipedia..../The_Mars_Volta

Mars Volta creates some of the most complex instrumentational works ever made rivaling, in my eyes, only bands such as Frank Zappa, Yes, Dream Theatre, King Crimson, Pat Metheney and his band, Phish, and a few others. Music complexity wise, not taste, they are probably one of the most complex bands ever created. John Frusciante, from the RHCPeppers, plays on every track except for one on the new album. It is amazing to say the least

#63 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 06:51 AM

Some DJ sets for y'all to try on:

Postal Market (no, not Postal Service) - in part composed on Gameboys :)
http://www.artmedias...stalmarket3.mp3

Noah Pred with teh deep electro-house
http://noahpred.com/...2006_dj-mix.mp3

Secret Agent Gel drops a super eclectic set that ends in breakcore far-out-ness
http://www.secretage...l-sum.mix.1.mp3

Scattermish's Super Berry Delight Mix...a couple dirty words in this one!
http://www.mytophat....rry_Delight.mp3

Bjoo's Champion Selection, some rollin' drum n' bass sounds, fairly chill

sponsored ad

• Advert

#64 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 05:55 PM

I checked out scattermish-Super_Berry_Delight.mp3 (I like "dirty" words [wis] ) and that's some cool stuff, Tim. Did you make any of those yourself?

I'll have to check out that Mars Volta album, Daniel. By the way, dude -- Pat Metheny isn't in Phish.

#65 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 06:46 PM

QUOTE (nootropikamil)
I checked out scattermish-Super_Berry_Delight.mp3 (I like "dirty" words [wis] )  and that's some cool stuff, Tim.  Did you make any of those yourself?

Glad to hear someone checked 'em out, Adam! Naw, those are all fairly well known DJs in their local circles. I produce/write tracks, but I'm not a DJ, and I rarely play a live P.A.

#66 iguario

• 0 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 11:46 AM

Music of Russian transhumanists! Victor Argonov and "Complex numbers"
http://complexnumber...ru/albumsr.html

#67 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 03:24 AM

A music industry "insider" had provided me with Snoop Dogg's new album The Blue Carpet Treatment; and I like it and it made me crack up a few times. I don't know if I'd play a few tracks chillin' with my lady though. ;-)

Here's a preview:

Release Dates: November 20 (UK) & 21 (US)

01.Real Talk (R.I.P Tookie) (04:18)
02.Vato (feat B-Real) (04:45)
03.My Peoples (05:40)
04.Smokin Smokin Weed (feat. Nate Dogg & Ray J) (04:19)
05.I Dont Give a f*ck (feat. Guerilla Black) (02:45)
06.Keep Bouncin (feat. Too Short) (04:15)
07.Just tha Way U Like It (05:01)
08.Get Rich (03:01)
09.Which One of U (03:38)
10.Runnin Yo Mouth (feat. Notorious BIG & Fabolous) (04:36)
11.Sexy Gurl (feat. Trina) (03:46)
12.Gotta Lotta That (feat. Ice Cube) (04:07)
13.That Girl (feat. Pharrell) (04:01)
14.Do It 2 Me (feat. Usher) (03:49)
15.Just Watchin (feat. 2Pac & DPG) (05:07)
16.Get 2 Know Ya (03:38)
17.Come Wit Me (03:52)
18.Candy (feat. E-40, MC Eiht, Goldie Loc, Daz and Kurupt) (04:29)
19.I Wanna F*ck You (04:23)

79:30 min

Explicit Lyrics

Attached Files

Edited by nootropikamil, 25 December 2006 - 11:24 PM.

#68 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 11:12 PM

Here's a hyperfuturistic podcast some of you might like to hear. Called the 'Dance of Death' (althought not at all gloomy), a big bad ass breakcore and glitchy mash-up of some current and past pop songs. It's a lot of fun, and as Toulin says, "This is what pop music will sound like in 2055."

http://ud-files.com/.....0of death.mp3

edit: ugh, the link went down, and came back up again. should be good for a number of months!

come on...give it a try.. ;)

Edited by mitkat, 23 October 2006 - 12:32 AM.

#69 kenj

• 747 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 12:08 AM

Here's a few giants within CLASSICAL AND CONTEMPORARY PIANO IMO:

Chopin - Ballad No. 1 in G Minor, Op. 23, - played by Vladimir Ashkenazy. Listennig to this entire masterpiece is like having a mental workout! Chopin put down a large
number of emotions on notes in just under 10 minutes of music. Wow. Anti-depressant effect. Here's a clip w/Zimerman, OK sound, but get Ashkenazy on CD ;).

Michel Camilo -- Magical, virtuoso latin jazz at its BEST, saw him at a concert and I was STUNNED, like the rest of the audience, this man is incredible. Here's a clip: "From Within".
My favourite CD is still "One More Once" from 1994 where he packs the piano with a FULL all-star band.

Jordan Rudess -- the keyboardist of Dream Theater, he's got some skills. [:o] Here's a clip from a Dream Theater concert. His NYC album, track 05 - Lamb Chops -- brilliant.

Elton John - my favourite piano Singer/Songwriter. What do I NOT like from his '68-'76 work? This Tiny Dancer is soooo 1971, lovely. He recently performed "Your Song" from the red piano concerts, and really the most beautiful, mature performance so far. Oh I love it when 3rd verse starts at 02:30. So calm. Is it possible to get the show on DVD?
I highly recommend the "Live in Barcelona" concert DVD from 1992, a great performance.

I really like all kinds of QUALITY music, here's what I got in my earphones today @ workout: "Clubbers Guide to 2006 - Mixed by Goodwill & Axwell" from Ministry Of Sound, I love the full mix, but Louie Austen - "Heaven Is In The Back Seat Of My Cadillac (Malente Remix)" vibes ESPECIALLY nice. [sfty]

#70 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 12:24 AM

QUOTE (harveynewstrom)
Industrial / Techno:

- Apoptygma Berserk
- Boole
- The Cruxshadows
- Cut.Rate.Box
- Devision
- Girls Under Glass
- Icon of Coil
- Neuroticfish
- Neuroactive
- Razed in Black
- Seabound
- Stochastic Theory
- T.O.Y
- X Marks the Pedwalk

Damn right Harvey...I like Cruxshadows too...and APB...well, have a look at my left foot:

this pic was taken shortly after it was done, healed nicely now ;)

Do you like any IDM stuff? (Along with the EBM, heh)

#71 kottke

• 246 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 01:15 AM

QUOTE (nootropikamil)
I'll have to check out that Mars Volta album, Daniel.  By the way, dude -- Pat Metheny isn't in Phish.

My bad. A misplacement of commas. He certainly has no part in PHISH whatsoever. Pat Metheney plays with multiple bands and his latest band (i forget the name) is really quite good. Pat plays on this thing when he feels like showing off http://upload.wikime...x-Pikasso_I.jpg. I have to admit im not a fan of alot of his stuff but hes sure as hell super talented.

I hope you got that MV album adam; It will destroy you.And it looks like i need to start listening to a little IDM

Edited by kottke, 23 October 2006 - 02:50 AM.

#72 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 01:39 AM

Heh, thanks, I couldn't resist showing that with an Apop reference... but that's thing IDM you've got your finger on. Besides having an incredibly stupid name ("Intelligent Dance Music? Then what have I been listening to for years, ignorant music?") it became more of an obsession with a sound, a tweak, a fidgit. Those crazy jungle snare rolls, they get to be too much....they sound like funky cyborgs workin' over time in a New York disco (or English bank vault, if you're Aphex Twin). They forget about real time rhythm, actual workability on teh dancefloor. I know that's not their purpose, but...bah!

Here's a somewhat fitting podcast for our crew i think, not just because of the name (well, it helps) but because it's a nice, ambient set: String Theory. It has some interesting neoclassical elements in it also...not my typical podcast fare, but I like it a lot.

Edited by mitkat, 24 October 2006 - 01:52 AM.

#73 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 11:31 PM

Okay, over the last week or so, I've listened to Snoop's new mix tape several times; so I'd like to tell you which tracks I think are the best:

Track 1
Track 2
Track 10
Track 11 (listen to Trina lay it down! That's the kind of lady I like. :) )

QUOTE (Trina)

Better than Fendi and Gucci
You need a little more for me to be a groupie (that's right)
How bout a house down out on San Succi
Sittin' on an acre so we could move loosely
That's just how it goes
Vera Wang from the window pane down to the tips of my toes (Oh!)
And when I'm ready to leave I pull a Porsche out
Don't want no sticks or no seeds I go to Snoop's house [laughter]
F*ck a professor, I need an investor (unh huh)
To eat me like Hannibal Lector
And keep me in a pink Kompressor, cups processor
And I don't want nuttin' lesser

Track 12 is perhaps my favorite on the whole album. Great beat, it's cool to see Ice Cube back up with Snoop!

I won't post the lyrics here 'cause they are a little too much, google them if you are interested. I like "...it's bouncin' like a basketball, if you got no ass at all, sorry girl, but you won't make the castin' call."

Edited to correct that it wasn't Snoop's new album I was listening to, it was the BCT "mix tape."

Edited by nootropikamil, 17 February 2007 - 10:25 PM.

#74 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 12:13 AM

QUOTE (nootropikamil)
Beck just released a new album October 3rd, 2006; it is called The Information. Excellent work....I also liked his album Sea Change; even though it was one of those "boo hoo my GF just left me" type of albums. I guess I missed the one he released in 2005: Guero. I still got to check that one out.

The Information is great, a bit short though. I cant wait to have sex to it [wis] . It is similar to sea change but more upbeat. I would suggest skipping Guero, and just buying the remix album guerolito.

#75 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 07:50 AM

I don't know cnorwood, something about Beck in the bedroom just doesn't do it for me... [sfty] An instrumental mix for sure, though ;)

This would be my kind of scene more for the love-music for the time being...time for me to push some more music!

A Brooklyn Life Radio - Gettin' Down n' Dubby. A real smooth dub/tech set that has a great pace.

10 Years of Monotonik - Mixed by Christopher Whaley. It's been ten years since Monotonik started putting electronic music online. First by BBS, then internet, and they're still super influental - and not to mention pretty damn sexy in this moody, dare I say perfectly mixed set.

We Live In Brooklyn, Vol.1. Solful and sexy, without being too much sauce. Some fully urban takes on old soul numbers, including one of my favourite covers, Feist doing the Bee Gee's "Inside and Out" (trust me, okay?). One of my favourite....well....bedroom sets :)

Dim the lights (for any kind of relaxed noctural activity whatsoever) and enjoy!

#76 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 02:30 AM

I purchased Hilary Hahn's Paganini & Spohr Concertos CD a couple of weeks ago and have listened to it a few times and it is every bit as spectacular as her other CDs (I purchased them all at least once -- some twice when I scratched them). I've seen her perform live twice and met her twice...she's totally amazing...I've never seen an American woman play a violin (let alone any instrument) like that...

Highly recommended.

Link to her site

Link to Hilary's myspace

#77 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 03:02 AM

QUOTE (mitkat)
I don't know cnorwood] An instrumental mix for sure, though :)

This would be my kind of scene more for the love-music for the time being...time for me to push some more music!

A Brooklyn Life Radio - Gettin' Down n' Dubby. A real smooth dub/tech set that has a great pace.

10 Years of Monotonik - Mixed by Christopher Whaley. It's been ten years since Monotonik started putting electronic music online. First by BBS, then internet, and they're still super influental - and not to mention pretty damn sexy in this moody, dare I say perfectly mixed set.

We Live In Brooklyn, Vol.1. Solful and sexy, without being too much sauce. Some fully urban takes on old soul numbers, including one of my favourite covers, Feist doing the Bee Gee's "Inside and Out" (trust me, okay?). One of my favourite....well....bedroom sets :)

Dim the lights (for any kind of relaxed noctural activity whatsoever) and enjoy!

Cool, I will try those out. I listen to, get exposed to more different kinds of, have more interest in, music during sex than any other time. Music for me is all about changing ambiance, creating new experiences, and pretty much everything that goes with performance art. Basically I use it like a recreational drug.

Oh yeah, what do you think about nightmares on wax - smokers delight....it seems like it might work for ya, but it is a bit slower than what you have posted though.

#78 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 04:22 AM

I first heard Nightmares of wax on the spectacular Wax Trax! Mastermix compilation quite some time ago...I liked them okay, fun for chilling. Don't own any albums, just a few downloads. In the same vein, Kruder & Dorfmeister I've always loved. If you like Nightmares, you'd definately like Ninja Tune stuff.

I hate to say it (cause everyone says this), but I like all kinds of music. For the past few months I've been listening to the 'Drone Zone' station on iTunes radio, it's just soundscapes, forms, textures. Not for the bedroom, that's for sure :)

#79 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 08:38 PM

Edit: this appears to be a bootleg and not an official release. I'm not big into Coldplay or anything so I didn't bother to check if it was real or not. The person who linked me to this obviously didn't know what the hell he is talking about:

http://www.google.co.....fter Before "

Coldplay's new album: After After Before which should be released this December. I just got it and haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but here is the track list and I've also attached the album cover:

Coldplay – After After Before

1. Life Is For Living (New Song}
2. See You Soon (Remix From Live 2003)
3. Only Superstition (Remix from Brothers & Sisters)
4. For You (New Song)
5. Careful Where You Stand (New Song)
6. Such A Rush (New Song)
7. No More Keeping My Feet On The Ground (New Song)
8. Bigger Stronger (New Song)
9. Easy To Please (Remix From Brothers & Sisters)
10. Harmless (New Song)
11. Don't Panic (Live On BBC R1)
12. Yellow (Acoustic)
13. Shiver (Acoustic)
14. Help Is Round The Corner (New Song)
15. Trouble (Live)
16. You Only Live Twice (Glastonbury 2000)
17. Norwegian Sparks (Live At Rockefeller Music Hall)
18. Brothers And Sisters (Remix from Brothers & Sisters)

There's another album I got laying here too -- from Incubus - Light Grenades -- that will be released November 28 (only 10 days!) -- I haven't checked it out though. Maybe later today or when I get the time I'll upload the track list and let you guys know a little bit about it...

Attached Files

Edited by nootropikamil, 19 November 2006 - 05:29 AM.

#80 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 08:57 PM

Okay...here is the Incubus album cover and tracks:

Incubus - Light Grenades -- Release date: November 28, 2006

1. Quicksand
2. Kiss to Send Us Off
3. Dig
4. Anna Molly
5. Love Hurts
6. Light Grenades
7. Earth to Bella (Part I)
8. Oil and Water
9. Diamonds and Coal
10. Rogues
11. Paper Shoes
12. Pendulous Threads
13. Earth to Bella (Part II)

Attached Files

#81 Centurion

• 1,000 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 03:16 AM

QUOTE (cnorwood19)
QUOTE (nootropikamil)

Beck just released a new album October 3rd, 2006; it is called The Information. Excellent work....I also liked his album Sea Change; even though it was one of those "boo hoo my GF just left me" type of albums. I guess I missed the one he released in 2005: Guero. I still got to check that one out.

The Information is great, a bit short though. I cant wait to have sex to it [wis] . It is similar to sea change but more upbeat. I would suggest skipping Guero, and just buying the remix album guerolito.

Try Sussudio by phil collins. After we saw it on American Psycho our house had a bet on who could bring a girl home first and manage to do the deed with that song playing. Its so hard to take anything seriously with cheesy 80s music playing. You just have to be wasted.

#82 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 07:53 AM

QUOTE (nootropikamil)

Okay, over the last week or so, I've listened to Snoop's new album several times; so I'd like to tell you which tracks I think are the best:

Track 1
Track 2
Track 10
Track 11 (listen to Trina lay it down!  That's the kind of lady I like. ;) )

QUOTE (Trina)

Better than Fendi and Gucci
You need a little more for me to be a groupie (that's right)
How bout a house down out on San Succi
Sittin' on an acre so we could move loosely
That's just how it goes
Vera Wang from the window pane down to the tips of my toes (Oh!)
And when I'm ready to leave I pull a Porsche out
Don't want no sticks or no seeds I go to Snoop's house [laughter]
F*ck a professor, I need an investor (unh huh)
To eat me like Hannibal Lector
And keep me in a pink Kompressor, cups processor
And I don't want nuttin' lesser

Track 12 is perhaps my favorite on the whole album. Great beat, it's cool to see Ice Cube back up with Snoop!

I won't post the lyrics here 'cause they are a little too much, google them if you are interested. I like "...it's bouncin' like a basketball, if you got no ass at all, sorry girl, but you won't make the castin' call."

Bump up on Snoop! Released tomorrow! At least purchase tracks (in order of my favorites):

12.Gotta Lotta That (feat. Ice Cube) (04:07)
02.Vato (feat B-Real) (04:45)
11.Sexy Gurl (feat. Trina) (03:46)
01.Real Talk (R.I.P Tookie) (04:18)***

Edited by nootropikamil, 17 February 2007 - 10:26 PM.

#83 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 07:57 AM

whoops, please delete.

Edited by nootropikamil, 17 February 2007 - 10:29 PM.

#84 halcyondays

• 93 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 09:25 AM

I've been listening to a lot of VNV Nation, Assemblage 23, Mogwai, David Gray, and The Smiths lately.

The new Incubus album is pretty good, I've been listening to it the past couple of days.

#85 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 07:27 PM

Another release I missed...released yesterday (November 21, 2006)...U2:

This a compilation of some of their best selling singles I guess...

U2 - U218 Singles (Greatest Hits)

Track List:

01. U2 - Beautiful Day 4:05
02. U2 - I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For 4:37
03. U2 - Pride (In The Name Of Love) 3:49
04. U2 - With Or Without You 4:56
05. U2 - Vertigo 3:10
06. U2 - New Year's Day 4:18
07. U2 - Mysterious Ways 4:02
08. U2 - Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of 4:32
09. U2 - Where The Streets Have No Name 4:47
10. U2 - Sweetest Thing 3:01
11. U2 - Sunday Bloody Sunday 4:40
12. U2 - One 4:36
13. U2 - Desire 3:00
14. U2 - Walk On 4:29
15. U2 - Elevation 3:49
16. U2 - Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own 5:06
17. U2 And Green Day - The Saints Are Coming 3:22
18. U2 - Window In The Skies 4:07

Attached Files

#86 Centurion

• 1,000 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 11:51 PM

I hate Bob Geldof

#87 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 02:06 AM

Here's Snoop's Vato (feat B real, first released single)...I'm bumpin this...

http://www.youtube.c...related&search=

#88 mushman

• 13 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 04:54 AM

I listen to a wide variety of music, but mostly Psytrance and metal. These are some of my favorites (in no particular order):

Dead Kennedys
Astral Projection
JS Bach
Pantera
Rammstein
Infected Mushroom
Anthrax
Hallucinogen
Prodigy
Black Sabbath
The Doors
Jimi Hendrix
Pink Floyd
Led Zeppelin
Motorhead

#89 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 05:55 AM

QUOTE (mushman)
I listen to a wide variety of music, but mostly Psytrance and metal. These are some of my favorites (in no particular order):

Dead Kennedys
Astral Projection
JS Bach
Pantera
Rammstein
Infected Mushroom
Anthrax
Hallucinogen
Prodigy
Black Sabbath
The Doors
Jimi Hendrix
Pink Floyd
Led Zeppelin
Motorhead

I used to really be into goa :) Do you like any gabber or hardcore 4/4 techno since you're into harder stuff?

I feel like I'm one of the very few on this board who doesn't love metal [tung]

#90 mushman

• 13 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 06:05 AM

Yeah - I enjoy some Gabber, Hardcore, and even Speedcore. I really haven't heard enough of it, though. I downloaded a compilation album, but I'm wondering if there are any 'big names' in gabber and hardcore?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users