Health Nutty's Value Supplement Regimen

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#31 health_nutty

• Topic Starter
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 01:36 AM

Added ginkgo, bacopa, and taurine.

Dang, I'm getting carried away. I've gotta cut back somewhere.

#32 hq0002

• 11 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 04:47 PM

whats the reasoning behind the taurine- ive ued supplements in the past that have had it added but didnt know why.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#33 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 11:00 PM

whats the reasoning behind the taurine- ive ued supplements in the past that have had it added but didnt know why.

Here's one good reason.

Med Hypotheses. 2005;64(2):394-8.
The low-AGE content of low-fat vegan diets could benefit diabetics - though concurrent taurine supplementation may be needed to minimize endogenous AGE production.
McCarty MF.
NutriGuard Research, 1051 Hermes Avenue, Encinitas, CA 92024, USA. mccarty@pantox.com

Increased endogenous generation of advanced glycation endproducts (AGEs) contributes importantly to the vascular complications of diabetes, in part owing to activation of the pro-inflammatory RAGE receptor. However, AGE-altered oligopeptides with RAGE-activating potential can also be absorbed from the diet, and indeed make a significant contribution to the plasma and tissue pool of AGEs; this contribution is especially prominent when compromised renal function impairs renal clearance of AGEs. Perhaps surprisingly, foods rich in both protein and fat, and cooked at high heat, tend to be the richest dietary sources of AGEs, whereas low-fat carbohydrate-rich foods tend to be relatively low in AGEs. Conceivably, this reflects the fact that the so-called "AGEs" in the diet are generated primarily, not by glycation reactions, but by interactions between oxidized lipids and protein; such reactions are known to give rise to certain prominent AGEs, such as epsilonN-carboxymethyl-lysine and methylglyoxal. Although roasted nuts and fried or broiled tofu are relatively high in AGEs, low-fat plant-derived foods, including boiled or baked beans, typically are low in AGEs. Thus, a low-AGE content may contribute to the many benefits conferred to diabetics by a genuinely low-fat vegan diet. Nonetheless, the plasma AGE content of healthy vegetarians has been reported to be higher than that of omnivores - suggesting that something about vegetarian diets may promote endogenous AGE production. Some researchers have proposed that the relatively high-fructose content of vegetarian diets may explain this phenomenon, but there so far is no clinical evidence that normal intakes of fructose have an important impact on AGE production. An alternative or additional possibility is that the relatively poor taurine status of vegetarians up-regulates the physiological role of myeloperoxidase-derived oxidants in the generation of AGEs - in which case, taurine supplementation might be expected to suppress elevated AGE production in vegetarians. Thus, a taurine supplemented low-fat vegan diet may be recommended as a strategy for minimizing AGE-mediated complications in diabetics and in patients with renal failure.

PMID: 15607576

#34 health_nutty

• Topic Starter
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 05:53 PM

http://www.ncbi.nlm....1&dopt=Abstract

Role of taurine supplementation to prevent exercise-induced oxidative stress in healthy young men.

Zhang M, Izumi I, Kagamimori S, Sokejima S, Yamagami T, Liu Z, Qi B.

Department of Welfare Promotion and Epidemiology, Faculty of Medicine, Toyama Medical and Pharmaceutical University, Toyama, Japan.

To evaluate the protective effects of taurine supplementation on exercise-induced oxidative stress and exercise performance, eleven men aged 18-20 years were selected to participate in two identical bicycle ergometer exercises until exhaustion. Single cell gel assay (SCG assay) was used to study DNA damage in white blood cells (WBC). Pre-supplementation of taurine, a significant negative correlation was found between plasma taurine concentration before exercise and plasma thiobaribituric-acid reactive substance (TBARS) 6 hr after exercise (r = -0.642, p<0.05). WBC showed a significant increase in DNA strand breakage 6 hr and 24 hr after exercise. Seven-day taurine supplementation reduced serum TBARS before exercise ( p<0.05) and resulted in a significantly reduced DNA migration 24 hr after exercise ( p<0.01). Significant increases were also found in VO(2)max, exercise time to exhaustion and maximal workload in test with taurine supplementation ( p<0.05). After supplementation, the change in taurine concentration showed positive correlations with the changes in exercise time to exhaustion and maximal workload. The results suggest that taurine may attenuate exercise-induced DNA damage and enhance the capacity of exercise due to its cellular protective properties.

Publication Types:

* Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't

PMID: 15042451 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Also read:

http://www.imminst.o...8&hl=taurine&s=

#35 mirian

• 166 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 10:00 PM

Shadowrun, you shouldn't take niacin (nicotinic acid) as time-release which can cause liver damage!

I'd just take either AOR Multi-Basics 3 or AOR Ortho-Core multivitamins, since they don't have niacinamide.

Huge amounts of B vitamins aren't what they're cracked up to be. They won't extend anyone's life unless you're deficient. Just get at least the RDA on them so your reassured of no deficiency. The medical industry recognizes no known benefit to supplementing with a vitamins unless there's a deficiency.

Trans-Resveratrol (T-RSV) is where it's at. That's currently our best shot besides (CR) calorie restriction.

Caloric restriction, 40% lower calories (1,100 calories per day) potentially increases one's lifespan 30.0 to 50.0 years. [Genes & Development 2003: 17:313-21]

Edited by mirian, 16 June 2007 - 06:27 AM.

#36 health_nutty

• Topic Starter
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 12:38 AM

Shadowrun, you shouldn't take niacin (nicotinic acid) as time-release whcih can cause liver damage!

That's a good point. In doses high enough to lower cholesterol especially.

#37 health_nutty

• Topic Starter
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 11:53 PM

Updated
Added back magnesium glycinate (magnesium malate was causing loose stools).
Added milk thistle
Astaxanthin every other day for cost reasons.
Taking resveratrol all at once in the morning

#38 ganeshge

• 45 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 04:46 AM

How about adding 250mg of Glisodin everyday to boost, SOD, Cat in the body? Further, recently Glisodin is shown to reverse heart disease (check the following link).

http://www.lef.org/m...lerosis_01.html

#39 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 01:18 AM

I just started on 1000 mg/day and can say it does indeed seem to have some effect.

On what?

I've taken up to 250 mg (Source Naturals) in the past, but cut back to 100 mg (Now) since it didn't have any effect on joint inflammation. I don't need much help for joint inflammation these days now that I'm out of the mold belt.

#40 health_nutty

• Topic Starter
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 03:56 AM

Glisodin seems like a promising supplement, but I'm just have too many bottles and things to mix already (not to mention price!)

#41 health_nutty

• Topic Starter
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 09:24 PM

Tweaked my routine a bit.

#42 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 06:35 PM

health_nutty, why did you drop the aged garlic extract?

Stephen

#43 health_nutty

• Topic Starter
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 06:39 PM

Just too many supplements and I get some garlic in my diet. If money wasn't an object, I would still be taking it.

Here is my updated regimine (can't edit original post):
I tweaked the dosages a bit and dropped a few things (NAC, quercetin)

#44 health_nutty

• Topic Starter
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 06:44 PM

30 year old male. Play ultimate frisbee 2x a week (great exercise), do weightlifting 2x a week, and do 2 runs (5-6 miles) a week
WT: 150lbs 7% bf
BP: 110/60

Pills:
OrthoCore 4-5 caps per day
Now Omega 3 1000mg 3x per day
Vitamin Shoppe Melatonin 1mg 1 hour before bed
Vitamin Shoppe D3 2000IU 1x day
Mixed tocopherols 150mg 1x day
Mixed tocotrienols 15mg 1x day
Astaxanthin 4mg 1x every other day

Taken in the morning 30 minutes before breakfast:
BAC 50% Resveratrol 400mg trans res 1x per day with 1/2 tsp of lecithin
Activin Grape Seed Extract 300mg 1x per day
Milk Thistle 80% 1g 1x a day

All mixed together with 32 oz of water and 6 tablespoons of cocoa powder:
BAC 50% EGCG Green Tea Extract 250mg 3x per day
BAC ALCAR 500mg 3x per day
BAC ALA 500mg 3x per day
BAC Pomegranate40p 150mg 3x per day
BAC Benfotiamine 100mg 3x per day
BAC Beta-Alanine (Carnosine precursor) 1.5g 3x per day
BAC Magnesium Glycinate 100mg magnesium 3x per day
BAC Vitamin C 500 mg
Creatine 3g
BAC Ginkgo 100mg 3x per day
Taurine 1g 3x per day

Other info:
Eat 1 cup of raw broccolli a day
Eat 1cup of raw kale
1 cup of frozen mixed berries (blueberry, raspberry, strawberry, blackberry)
2-6 oz of pomegranate/blueberry juice
Rarely eat processed foods

Edited by health_nutty, 27 September 2007 - 12:44 AM.

#45 health_nutty

• Topic Starter
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 06:31 PM

I had my physical today and had my cholesterol results which I will post. They are okay, but I was hoping for better considering my diet is very healthy, I exercise a lot, and take quite a few well researched supplements. Specifically my HDL is just average. I've been getting lazy about taking my cocoa powder and drinking my v8's. Oh and if you are curious about the rest of the blood work let me know.

TC: 159 mg/dL
Triglycerides: <20
HDL: 48
LDL: 91

#46 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 02:07 AM

BAC Beta-Alanine (Carnosine precursor) 1.5g 3x per day

Carnosine is an ALA-HIS dipeptide, and for most of what we want from it, the business end is really the histidine. Alanine may be useful on its own, but I wouldn't consider it a substitute for Carnosine.

#47 dachshund

• 98 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 02:41 AM

For some of the BAC supplements you take you might consider pricing 1 Kg quantities from DNP International. I believe BAC sources from DNP. For instance, 1 Kg ALA from DNP is about $ 70, ALCAR $ 50, Benfotiamine $ 200. However, I have found the BAC benfotiamine to be variable in color which makes me wonder about what impurities cause the light brown-gray in some of the product I have received from BAC. I now purchase LEF Megabenfotiamine from Health Mega Mall, http://www.healthmegamall.com/, which is capsulated, costs about the same as BAC powder and is always pristine white in appearance.

The jury is still out for me on R-ALA. I have been trying Geronova Na-RALA, but I'm unconvinced that it really is more bioavailable than racemic ALA. I started using it primarily for the purity. Trace amounts of toluene and ethyl acetate in low cost ALA powders had me concerned, maybe unnecessarily. I would like to find a source for Cargill/Degussa Alipure solvent free lipoic, have not identified one yet. I called Cargill and the minimum purchase of the bulk powder is $ 1000.

#48 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 07:06 PM

Histidine peptides are good, but histidine itself is a pro-oxidant. Beta-alanine has been shown to increase muscle carnosine and is thus useful. I just use carnosine since I want its antioxidant effect in my GI tract, which beta-alanine doesn't have.

Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol. 2005 May;96(5):352-60.
Antioxidant properties of carnosine re-evaluated with oxidizing systems involving iron and copper ions.
Mozdzan M, Szemraj J, Rysz J, Nowak D.
Department of Experimental and Clinical Physiology, Medical University of Lodz, 6/8 Mazowiecka St, 92-215 Lodz, Poland.

Carnosine has antioxidant properties and is efficient in the treatment of chemically-induced inflammatory lesions in animals. However, some studies question its biological significance as antioxidant and show lack of protection and even pro-oxidant effect of carnosine in systems containing nickel and iron ions. The ability of carnosine to: (1) reduce Fe(3+) into Fe(2+) ions; (2) protect deoxyribose from oxidation by Fe(2+)-, Fe(3+)-, and Cu(2+)-H(2)O(2)-EDTA systems; (3) protect DNA from damage caused by Cu(2+)-, and Fe(2+)-H(2)O(2)-ascorbate systems; (4) inhibit HClO- and H(2)O(2)-peroxidase-induced luminol dependent chemiluminescence was tested in vitro. At concentration 10 mM carnosine reduced 16.6+/-0.5 nmoles of Fe(3+) into Fe(2+) ions during 20 min. incubation and added to plasma significantly increased its ferric reducing ability. Inhibition of deoxyribose oxidation by 10 mM carnosine reached 56+/-5, 40+/-11 and 30+/-11% for systems containing Fe(2+), Fe(3+) and Cu(2+) ions, respectively. The damage to DNA was decreased by 84+/-9 and 61+/-14% when Cu(2+)-, and Fe(2+)-H(2)O(2)-ascorbate systems were applied. Combination of 10 mM histidine with alanine or histidine alone (but not alanine) enhanced 1.3 and 2.3 times (P<0.05) the DNA damage induced by Fe(2+)-H(2)O(2)-ascorbate. These amino acids added to 10 mM carnosine decreased 3.1-fold (P<0.05) its protective effect on DNA. Carnosine at 10 and 20 mM decreased by more than 90% light emission from both chemiluminescent systems. It is concluded that carnosine has significant antioxidant activity especially in the presence of transition metal ions. However, hydrolysis of carnosine with subsequent histidine release may be responsible for some pro-oxidant effects.

PMID: 15853927

J Appl Physiol. 2007 Nov;103(5):1736-43.
beta-Alanine supplementation augments muscle carnosine content and attenuates fatigue during repeated isokinetic contraction bouts in trained sprinters.
Derave W, Ozdemir MS, Harris RC, Pottier A, Reyngoudt H, Koppo K, Wise JA, Achten E.
Dept. of Movement and Sport Sciences, Ghent Univ., Watersportlaan 2, B-9000 Ghent, Belgium. Wim.derave@ugent.be).

Carnosine (beta-alanyl-l-histidine) is present in high concentrations in human skeletal muscle. The ingestion of beta-alanine, the rate-limiting precursor of carnosine, has been shown to elevate the muscle carnosine content. We aimed to investigate, using proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy (proton MRS), whether oral supplementation with beta-alanine during 4 wk would elevate the calf muscle carnosine content and affect exercise performance in 400-m sprint-trained competitive athletes. Fifteen male athletes participated in a placebo-controlled, double-blind study and were supplemented orally for 4 wk with either 4.8 g/day beta-alanine or placebo. Muscle carnosine concentration was quantified in soleus and gastrocnemius by proton MRS. Performance was evaluated by isokinetic testing during five bouts of 30 maximal voluntary knee extensions, by endurance during isometric contraction at 45% maximal voluntary contraction, and by the indoor 400-m running time. beta-Alanine supplementation significantly increased the carnosine content in both the soleus (+47%) and gastrocnemius (+37%). In placebo, carnosine remained stable in soleus, while a small and significant increase of +16% occurred in gastrocnemius. Dynamic knee extension torque during the fourth and fifth bout was significantly improved with beta-alanine but not with placebo. Isometric endurance and 400-m race time were not affected by treatment. In conclusion, 1) proton MRS can be used to noninvasively quantify human muscle carnosine content; 2) muscle carnosine is increased by oral beta-alanine supplementation in sprint-trained athletes; 3) carnosine loading slightly but significantly attenuated fatigue in repeated bouts of exhaustive dynamic contractions; and 4) the increase in muscle carnosine did not improve isometric endurance or 400-m race time.

PMID: 17690198

#49 health_nutty

• Topic Starter
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 09:52 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys. Those look like good prices on the 1kg powders dachshund.

#50 health_nutty

• Topic Starter
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 02:37 AM

Updated my routine.

Resveratrol synergy with grapefruit juice is noticeably increasing my stamina.

Just got my luteolin which I will be adding to the mix tomorrow.

#51 health_nutty

• Topic Starter
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 10:31 PM

I'm taking a tablespoon of whole root turmeric powder in the morning as well.

#52 happy

• 103 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 10:06 PM

Thanks for keeping your regimen updated.

As a lurker I used your regimen as my foundation.

#53 health_nutty

• Topic Starter
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 10:16 PM

Thanks for keeping your regimen updated.

As a lurker I used your regimen as my foundation.

No problem, I'm glad it was helpful. Make sure and post your routine as well!

#54 health_nutty

• Topic Starter
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 01:50 AM

UPDATE:

31 year old male. Play ultimate frisbee 2x a week (great exercise), do weightlifting 2x a week, and do 2 runs (5-6 miles) a week

With meals:
New OrthoCore 3 caps per day
Now Omega 3 1000mg 3-4 per day
Vitamin Shoppe D3 4000IU
Astaxanthin 4mg 1x a day
1-2 teaspoons of whole turmeric powder and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon 2x a day

Resveratrol Cocktail first thing in the morning:
4 oz of unsweetened cranberry juice, 4 oz grapefruit juice
1 tsp of lecithin
BAC 50% Resveratrol 1.6g (800mg t-res)
Activin Grape Seed Extract 250mg
BAC 50% EGCG Green Tea Extract 250mg
BAC ALCAR 1.5 g
BAC Pomegranate40p 250mg
BAC Luteolin ~10mg
Milk Thistle 80% 500mg
Vitamin C 500mg
Rhodiola 100mg
Taurine 1g

Mix the following with water and drink between meals
BAC ALCAR 1g
BAC ALA 500mg
BAC Pomegranate40p 250mg
BAC Benfotiamine 250mg
BAC Beta-Alanine 6g
Creatine 3g
Vitamin C 500mg

Before bed:
1g of Niacin
Vitamin Shoppe Melatonin 500mcg
30 mg zinc

Eat 1 cup of raw spinach a day
Eat 1 cup of raw kale
Drink 2 cups of unsweetened hot cocoa a day
1/2 cup of frozen mixed berries (blueberry, raspberry, strawberry, blackberry)

Edited by health_nutty, 24 January 2008 - 01:53 AM.

#55 health_nutty

• Topic Starter
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 05:27 PM

Dropped resveratrol. Doing every third day CR (50% of normal calories).

UPDATE:

31 year old male. Play ultimate frisbee 2x a week (great exercise), do weightlifting 2x a week, and do 2 runs (5-6 miles) a week

With meals:
New OrthoCore 2-3 caps per day
Now Omega 3 1000mg 2 per day
Vitamin Shoppe D3 4000IU
Astaxanthin 4mg 1x a day
1-2 teaspoons of whole turmeric powder and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon 2x a day

Mix the following with water and drink between meals
Rhodiola 500mg
Milk Thistle 80% 500mg
1 tbsp lecithin
Taurine 1g
BAC ALCAR 1g
BAC ALA 500mg
BAC Pomegranate40p 500mg
BAC Benfotiamine 300mg
BAC Beta-Alanine 4g
Creatine 3g
Vitamin C 500mg

Before bed:
Vitamin Shoppe Melatonin 500mcg
30 mg zinc

Eat 1 cup of raw spinach a day
Eat 1 cup of raw kale
Drink 2 cups of unsweetened hot cocoa a day
1/2 cup of frozen mixed berries (blueberry, raspberry, strawberry, blackberry)

Edited by health_nutty, 12 February 2008 - 05:28 PM.

#56 happy

• 103 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 05:29 PM

reason behind dropping ResV?

#57 health_nutty

• Topic Starter
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 05:47 PM

http://www.imminst.o...mp;#entry223846

sponsored ad

• Advert

#58 johnyq

• 15 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 03:43 PM

I had my physical today and had my cholesterol results which I will post. They are okay, but I was hoping for better considering my diet is very healthy, I exercise a lot, and take quite a few well researched supplements. Specifically my HDL is just average. I've been getting lazy about taking my cocoa powder and drinking my v8's. Oh and if you are curious about the rest of the blood work let me know.

TC: 159 mg/dL
Triglycerides: <20
HDL: 48
LDL: 91

It's always good to strive for better, but don't be down on those numbers, they are really impressive!

Thanks for posting your regimen!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users