• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

- - - - -

Whats so great about life anyways?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#31 quadclops

• 316 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 06:02 PM

Hi Wonder.

Another probable reason more people haven't replied to this post is that this topic has come up so many times before.

My reasons jibe with all the posts above. Curiosity, joy in the little things, anticipation for the things I haven't done yet, etc.

#32 stephenszpak

• 448 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 06:10 PM

As I've posted at the Religion forum, if your life ends at your death,
and that's it, then all this life is pointless

Indeed. Which is the reason we want to keep on living, so there will be a point to find.

-Infernity

Infernity

(But you can't keep on living.)

Apparently sacrificing your life so someone else will live could not be the point, right?
I mean you'd be dead, so why commit this selfless act? This selfless act of love would
be totally pointless. The selfish act of not sacrificing yourself would keep you alive,
so you could find a easier point to your life. A point where you don't have to give up
your life or even anything dear to you. If this life is it, then the only love that makes
any sense is selflove.

-Stephen

• Lurker

Posted 13 January 2007 - 09:34 PM

Hi Wonder.

Another probable reason more people haven't replied to this post is that this topic has come up so many times before. 

My reasons jibe with all the posts above.  Curiosity, joy in the little things, anticipation for the things I haven't done yet, etc.

quadclops do you have links to those past post. I would be very interested in reading them. Thank you!!

sponsored ad

• Advert

#34 quadclops

• 316 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 06:59 PM

Krickey! That's a lot of searching. I tried a word search or six through the General Discussion forum, but got no satisfaction.

I'm sure the Navigators could surf this site better than I, maybe they'll hook you up.

Sorry. [sad]

• Lurker

Posted 20 January 2007 - 07:51 PM

Krickey!  That's a lot of searching.  I tried a word search or six through the General Discussion forum, but got no satisfaction.

I'm sure the Navigators could surf this site better than I, maybe they'll hook you up.

Sorry.  [sad]

That is ok, I appreciate you trying, Thank you!! :)

#36 bgwowk

• 1,715 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 09:38 PM

Out of 439 members only 7 members replied to this topic. I find that very interesting.............

Try posting a message with the title "What's so great about life anyways?" on a cancer patient forum and see how many, and what kind, of responses you get. I think many people here regard the question as either pathological or offensive. It's both really. Those that chose to respond are being very polite.

The problem is the mindset that puts aging in a different category than cancer or AIDS. It's not. Aging is a chronic and debilitating disease that deprives people of their health, independence, dignity, and ultimately their lives. As a colleague of mine once said, if there were a disease that suddenly turned healthy 20-year-olds into what we presently consider "healthy" 80-year-olds, we would consider it worse than AIDS.

• Lurker

Posted 20 January 2007 - 11:48 PM

Out of 439 members only 7 members replied to this topic. I find that very interesting.............

Try posting a message with the title "What's so great about life anyways?" on a cancer patient forum and see how many, and what kind, of responses you get. I think many people here regard the question as either pathological or offensive. It's both really. Those that chose to respond are being very polite.

The problem is the mindset that puts aging in a different category than cancer or AIDS. It's not. Aging is a chronic and debilitating disease that deprives people of their health, independence, dignity, and ultimately their lives. As a colleague of mine once said, if there were a disease that suddenly turned healthy 20-year-olds into what we presently consider "healthy" 80-year-olds, we would consider it worse than AIDS.

Pathological or offensive? What exactly do YOU feel is pathelogical or offensive about this question?/post? Have I touched a sore spot? Seems like it to me. Those who choose to respond are being very polite? Some of the posts I have read and replies on different subjects have been far from polite. I don't think politeness plays a big role on this forum. Your post just demostrated my point exactly Mr. Advisor Sir. BTW, Actually there is a rare disease that cause young children to age very quickly and have the body and looks and aliments of an 80 year old.

#38 John Schloendorn

• Guest, Advisor, Guardian
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 12:04 AM

Your post just demostrated my point exactly Mr. Advisor Sir

What exactly is your point?

I think Brian explained very well why he thinks that some immortalists may find your post offensive, with his cancer forum question. Would you agree that some cancer patiens may find the post Brian suggested offensive? If yes, do you see how the situation here is similar?

#39 Aegist

• Guest Shane
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 12:23 AM

You continue to impress me bgwowk. I have never seen someone consistently post such top quality posts.

#40 Neurosail

• Life Member, F@H
  • 311 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 January 2007 - 01:12 AM

This topic and similar topics has been asked before:

The Meaning of Life

Why stay alive at all?, Does life have purpose?

Boredom--tired of life extension?

Whatever you think, you are immortal

www.grupthink.com

Does intelligence have intrinsic value? a value comparison thought experiment

Enlightening the Future 2024, A survey from"Spiked"-closed

Spending to Death: How much is living worth?

What a life 10 000 years could offer, suggestions needed

A good reson to live forever?

The relevance of gods, Does meaning come from life or later?

The Top Ten Trends of the Extreme Future

Does hell give life meaning?

Incipient Posthuman, whoa, terrific site out of nowhere

The Incredibes, Are you ready for your upgrade?

Paralyzed by the fear of death?

When Did You Become Interested In Immortality?

• Lurker

Posted 21 January 2007 - 02:45 AM

Thanks Neurosail, That's all I was really looking for. I appreciate the time you put into finding these links for me. It is through the non judgemental person answers can be found!!

#42 Neurosail

• Life Member, F@H
  • 311 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 January 2007 - 03:00 AM

Your welcome!

One link is in the full member area. I hope that you can become a full member soon. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users