←  Resveratrol

LONGECITY

The above is an ad! Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.
»

"500 club" 500mg of trans-resverat...

tintinet's Photo tintinet 08 Apr 2007

>>> Effect of Resveratrol on Antioxidant Enzyme Activities in the Brain of
Healthy Rat.

That's one of the best peices of news yet in favor of RSV.

I'm still taking around 500mg daily.  I've still not been able to pin down ANY noticeable benefit to taking this supplement.  It's all blind faith for me!  ;-)  I'm getting my overdue bloodwork done in two weeks, so I'm curious if anything shows up in the numbers versus my pre-500/day bloodwork.

Your experience suggests those who experience mood elevation, increased strength, endurance, stress resistance, sleep deprivation resistance, etc., may be either getting a big placebo effect boost or getting those acutely observed effects from substances other than trans-resveratrol in the resveratrol supplements they are taking (I'm in the latter group of positives WRT perceived effects.)

So, is your experience typical or universal among those taking only synthetic, 99%+ purity trans-resveratrol only? Is this the experience of those taking only high purity extracted trans-resveratrol also? Are there specific supplements (e.g. Country Life vs. Doctor's Best vs. Jarrow vs. NSI, etc.) associated with the aforementioned acute effects?

boily's Photo boily 10 Apr 2007

I'm starting resveratrol supplementation today, after months of thinking about it. I'll be taking about 220mg a day (2 country life + 1 pomeratrol) The cost isn't huge. Will be about 2.6mg/kg/day. I know this isn't 500 club stuff, but I"ll post about any noticed effects.
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

stephen_b's Photo stephen_b 10 Apr 2007

I know several have spoken about flushing and resveratrol. I've noticed some tingling around the temple area which was a bit more noticeable at 400 mg. I'm not sure that it is the resveratrol though, so I've tried to stay off of supplements for a few days and reintroduce them one by one. Carnosine is another potential cause.

Stephen

ageless's Photo ageless 10 Apr 2007

I know several have spoken about flushing and resveratrol. I've noticed some tingling around the temple area which was a bit more noticeable at 400 mg. I'm not sure that it is the resveratrol though, so I've tried to stay off of supplements for a few days and reintroduce them one by one. Carnosine is another potential cause.

Stephen

reminds me of beta-alanine experiences! oh the weird feeling that i kinda like in a weird way.

alterego's Photo alterego 10 Apr 2007

Another week for me taking 200mg TRES (LEF, 2 100mg capsules). My weight is 65 kg and has been for as long I can remember being an adult. So, I'm at about 3 mg per kg.
- Nor more flushing (only minor but noticeable during the first week)
- Subjective improvement of mood is decreasing but still present.
- Seems to improve reum. arthritis, but to soon to tell for sure, blood work planned.
- Decrease of mild chronic to sub-acute sinusitis (right side). Difficult to tell if this is due to TRES, but might be possible.
- Increased itchy right ear (deep inside), seems to be caused by a mild infection. Difficult to tell if this is due to TRES, but might be possible.

tintinet's Photo tintinet 11 Apr 2007

Pain? Where and what type, duration, etc.?

proteomist's Photo proteomist 11 Apr 2007

Addison, can you describe the symptoms in more detail? Time to onset once the dosage is started, etc? Many thanks if you have the time for this.

proteomist's Photo proteomist 11 Apr 2007

Yeah, I got that it was pleurisy and pericarditis when you indicated two posts ago that it was pleurisy and pericarditis. [wis] I was interested in having a description of the subjective effects as they develop, so that if others experience them they might recognize it.

The symptoms are pleurisy and pericarditus. In lay terms, pain around the lungs and the heart. Confirmed via EKG, no fluid according to ECG, so it's just a painful inflammation. I got it on 500 and 400 mg/day, and now I think I'm getting it on 300 mg/day. I had immense lipid benefits from it though, so I am going to keep trying.

maxwatt's Photo maxwatt 11 Apr 2007

The symptoms are pleurisy and pericarditus. In lay terms, pain around the lungs and the heart. Confirmed via EKG, no fluid according to ECG, so it's just a painful inflammation. I got it on 500 and 400 mg/day, and now I think I'm getting it on 300 mg/day. I had immense lipid benefits from it though, so I am going to keep trying.

According to one manufacturer I've been talking to, resveratrol is known to be preferentially absorbed by the heart and surrounding tissue. I don't have the references, yet, sorry.

I posted somewhere in this endless thread a study that showed resveratrol was pro-inflammatory for myocytes, in vitro, in cases of pre-existent inflammation

So could you have a chronic low-grade infection of some sort that can be treated? Resveratrol may be activating your immune system, hence the inflammation.

I don't recall if you told me: have you also used Orchid resveratrol? If not, and you want to try an extract with .0004% or less emodin, and damn little in it other than resveratrol, contact me. Since you are willing to try resveratrol again despite the symptoms, you might want to be sure it's resveratrol and not another associated compound from the herb it comes from.

niner's Photo niner 11 Apr 2007

Addison, I think Maxwatt may be on to something. Have you tried empirically dosing with a broad spectrum antibiotic? I once had an essentially undetectable infection that caused no end of autoimmune problems until I took a course of Biaxin.

stephen_b's Photo stephen_b 11 Apr 2007

Does spreading out the dose help?

Stephen

rwoodin's Photo rwoodin 11 Apr 2007

I'm back up to 400-500mg a day. The 'wired' effect has gradually lessoned over the past couple weeks. Subjectively, I feel a little better taking resveratrol - somewhat more energy and motivation. I'm using 250mg BioForte and 100mg Doctors Best with an occasional 37.5mg Natures Way or two thrown in for good measure! I do work out with weights and know my limits for different types of excersizes. Subjectively, I seem to be just a bit stronger lately but that could be due to many other factors.

kenj's Photo kenj 11 Apr 2007

AOR's got their resveratrol product up on their website, - includes vit C, Quercetin, Piper Nigrum and Luteolin to increase bioavailability. They suggest 300mg/day (70KG) for "any clinically significant results".

applepoly's Photo applepoly 11 Apr 2007

Niner- if I get the full text of the Pisa group study to you, would you review and discuss?

Your input on this topic seems quite lucid, thanks. I'm a member of the 2500/98% club myself. I'm fascinated with the Italian studies which seem to show a potential 5-fold or better increase in bioavailability using sulfation- and glucoronidation- inhibitors. The problem so far is trying to extrapolate an optimal dose of quercetin and catechins to best achieve high absorption.

Let me know if you wish to pursue.

DukeNukem's Photo DukeNukem 11 Apr 2007

Interesting...pH resistant beadlets. Yet, I thought RSV liked acidic pH.

edward's Photo edward 11 Apr 2007

AOR's got their resveratrol product up on their website, - includes vit C, Quercetin, Piper Nigrum and Luteolin to increase bioavailability. They suggest 300mg/day (70KG) for "any clinically significant results".

I can't believe it they put bioperine (piper nigrum) in their Resveratrol extract, what were they thinking... or do they know something we don't.

Luteolin makes sense, its a flavonoid so make take up some of the body resources in breaking down Resveratrol (but why luteolin and not one of the other numerous options)... but Bioperine? I came to the conclusion that that stuff was not good.

health_nutty's Photo health_nutty 11 Apr 2007

I'm a member of the 2500/98% club myself.

When you get a chance could you comment on any observations at that dosage?

health_nutty's Photo health_nutty 11 Apr 2007

I can't believe it they put bioperine (piper nigrum) in their Resveratrol extract, what were they thinking... or do they know something we don't.

Luteolin makes sense, its a flavonoid so make take up some of the body resources in breaking down Resveratrol (but why luteolin and not one of the other numerous options)... but Bioperine? I came to the conclusion that that stuff was not good.

Yeah, I'm very surprised. I thought AOR was anti-bioperine.

applepoly's Photo applepoly 12 Apr 2007

I'm a member of the 2500/98% club myself.

When you get a chance could you comment on any observations at that dosage?

Sure. First, these dosage levels are experimental in humans. This seems obvious, but I thought I should make that clear for anyone wandering by. Source and purity are both important considerations. Even as the body of research on resveratrol convinces me that high doses are a good thing, I don't want to be concentrating contaminants along with it. I personally use a natural extract of P. cuspidatum purified to 98%+ trans-resveratrol, assayed, from a trusted supplier.

Aside from occasional difficulty sleeping, which is helped by nightly melatonin, I find no ill effects so far (about 6 weeks in). The most noticeable positive effect is increased stamina, measured mostly as mental stamina, since I spend most of my time at this keyboard, and do not engage in much structured exercise. When I do exert, there is a clear benefit physically as well. I rarely feel tired now. I regularly work 12 to 16 hour days without exhaustion. This is new, although I also experienced a stamina increase after starting apple polyphenols. Some nights, I'm not even tired. I've also noticed some positive sexual effects.

I feel more relaxed, and my blood pressure has dropped a few points, from normal to just about perfect (118/70 last check). My pulse has slowed a few beats. I feel very good. Stress is reduced, but that could be from my vacation :) I also take high dose antioxidants (150,000+ ORAC units/day from various polyphenols), CoQ10, chlorella, turmeric, apple, grape seed extract, NADH, royal jelly (yum), EVOO, lots of coffee, and I eat very well, organic when feasible. I'm 50 years old.

Our small experimental group, using either 50% or 98% extracts, reports the following effects:

Katrina: 50% and 98% blend, appx 2 g. daily. Katrina has congenital (borderline) hypertension. She reports drops of 10-15 in both systolic and diastolic readings, placing her in the normal range for the first time since her youth, with a concomitant decrease in pulse rate from 85 to about 75. She also reports increased stamina and well-being, and very occasional insomnia. Katrina also takes 2-4 g of apple polyphenols, CoQ10, a multivitamin, melatonin, progesterone, b-12 and other nutrients. However, no change in BP was observed prior to resveratrol.

Rick: 50% extract, 4 g. daily. Rick has seen dramatic increase in physical stamina measured on treadmill exercise. In 2 months, he has doubled his distance at increased speed and is still not tired when he completes the workout. Also apple polyphenols 2 g. daily, grape seed extract 1 g. daily. No insomnia reported.

Suzanne: 50% 1 g. daily. Suzanne reports 8 lbs of weight loss in 14 days, a desired effect for her. She also reports increased energy.

Sleeplessness seems to be a side effect of high doses for some. Have you found this to be true? I just view this as time to get more done, but it's bothersome to others. It's certainly a tradeoff I'm willing to make for the reported benefits (in animals) of increased catalytic enzyme activity (all 3!), increased mitochodrial efficiency and proliferation, reversal of atherosclerosis, inhibition of neuropathies, blocking of prostate cancer, treating multiple myeloma, and on and on.

Of course, specific crossover effects from animals to humans have yet to be exhaustively studied- as can be said of many things. I don't have time to wait for multigenerational studies of longevity effects of resveratrol and other phytochemicals in humans. I've reviewed the research, made my best guess on optimal dosage, and searched the globe for pure extracts from a natural plant source, clean enough to take in these amounts. I'm excited that this new generation of superantioxidants is available. I wish I'd had them in the toolkit when my parents were alive- they might be still. And, I'm always open to new and better information.

And you?

health_nutty's Photo health_nutty 12 Apr 2007

Thanks for taking time for the detailed response, I really appreciate it.

Here is my info:
I'm only at 600mg of tres (1.2 g of 50% powder) or around 10mg/kg/day from BAC's 50% extract.

I've noticed increased mood and energy. Recovery from *intense* exercise in improved. I don't feel completely drained like I used to after a hard ultimate game (think 1 hour of sprints) or a an intense full body weight workout. My stamina is probably better, but unfortunately (for the sake of monitoring progress) I switched from treadmill workouts to playing ultimate 3x week. So its really hard to say. I didn't get back into the weights until after the resv supplementation so again its hard to tell if my rate of progress is accellerated or not because I'm still in the beginner gains phase.

My blood pressure was around 100/60 and now is 110-120/60-70 (it was up to 120-130/70-80 a month ago). I'm not sure why my BP went up. I also get emodin effects if I take more than 600mg or so. I wish I could get by with less sleep, but tres has not helped me there.

I'm also taking a whole host of supplements: GSE, AGE, ALCAR, ALA, GTE, pomegranate, cocoa, melatonin, vit C, glucosamine, creatine, beta-alanine, astaxanthin, eat 1-2 cups of blueberries. (see personal supplementation routines section)

Can you point me to some info on apple polyphenols? I'm curious why you are 'megadosing' on apple as opposed to other polyphenols. Also how many apples would it take to get 1 gram of apple polyphenols?

maxwatt's Photo maxwatt 12 Apr 2007

Can you point me to some info on apple polyphenols?  I'm curious why you are 'megadosing'  on apple as opposed to other polyphenols.  Also how many apples would it take to get 1 gram of apple polyphenols?

http://www.ncbi.nlm....earch&DB=pubmed

Also applepoly's website is promoting it as a supplement, and has some informational references beyond the hype.

You can buy it there encapsulated, or at beyond-a-century.com as a powder.

It appears to positively affect blood lipids, reduces tumor incidence, and reduces visceral fat at least in rats; judging by the anecdotal evidence presented at applepoly.com, it has a similar effect in humans on belly fat.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....earch&DB=pubmed

Also applepoly's website is promoting it as a supplement, and has some informational references beyond the hype.

You can buy it there encapsulated, or at beyond-a-century.com as a powder.

It appears to positively affect blood lipids, reduces tumor incidence, and reduces visceral fat at least in  rats; judging by the anecdotal evidence presented at applepoly.com, it has a similar effect in humans on belly fat.

Thanks Max, I take it you haven't tried it yourself? I saw that site before posting the question. It has some references, but is a bit sensational. Since you are supposed to feel more energy maybe I'll try it next time I order with BAC.

edward's Photo edward 12 Apr 2007

The two interesting apple polyphenols are phloridzin and phlorizin which are apparently found exclusively in apples http://jn.nutrition....ull/131/12/3227 All the other polyphenols in apples appear to be the usual rutin, quercetin etcetera.

That applepoly site is hyped up to the max though, and applepoly the newly created identity showing up on this site is a little suspicious.

The two interesting apple polyphenols are phloridzin and phlorizin which are apparently found exclusively in apples http://jn.nutrition....ull/131/12/3227 All the other polyphenols in apples appear to be the usual rutin, quercetin etcetera.

That applepoly site is hyped up to the max though, and applepoly the newly created identity showing up on this site is a little suspicious.

Not to mention the insane price!

Anthony_Loera's Photo Anthony_Loera 12 Apr 2007

Niner- if I get the full text of the Pisa group study to you, would you review and discuss?

Your input on this topic seems quite lucid, thanks. I'm a member of the 2500/98% club myself. I'm fascinated with the Italian studies which seem to show a potential 5-fold or better increase in bioavailability using sulfation- and glucoronidation- inhibitors. The problem so far is trying to extrapolate an optimal dose of quercetin and catechins to best achieve high absorption.

Let me know if you wish to pursue.

I have 2 questions:

1- Has anyone taken rsv in any other way other than orally?

2- I have seen these 2 items, and maybe they have already been discussed. If you take both of these into account, would a Methylated form of resveratrol be something to look for in the future?

Methylated Flavonoids Have Greatly Improved Intestinal Absorption and Metabolic Stability:
http://dmd.aspetjour...ract/34/10/1786

Glycosylation of resveratrol protects it from enzymic oxidation (where Methylationof resveratrol was done)
http://www.biochemj....7/bj3740157.htm

Anthony Loera

maxwatt's Photo maxwatt 12 Apr 2007

Methoxylated resveratrol is known as pterostilbene. I've located a bulk source, though they are currently back-ordered.

Anthony_Loera's Photo Anthony_Loera 12 Apr 2007

Aren't they different phytochemicals that exist in the same plant?
I was thinking you had to methylate resveratrol per the article...

proteomist's Photo proteomist 12 Apr 2007

Pterostilbene has methoxy groups at the 3 and 5 positions of the A ring as so: pterostilbene structure.

Quoting the February Sinclair paper:

Our previous work with STACs demonstrated that the 3- and
5-hydroxl groups of the A ring as well as the trans conformation
are crucial structural elements for SIRT1 activation (Howitz et al.,
2003). In contrast, modification of the 4’ position on the B ring,
which is the residue that accounts for the majority of free radical
scavenging ability (Stojanovic et al., 2001), did not interfere
with SIRT1 activation in five synthetic derivatives of resveratrol,
although this activity was significantly diminished in Derivative
5, which bore a relatively bulkier acetoxy functional group at
the 4’ position.

So, to design a better resveratrol analog, at least in Sinclair's opinion, you want to leave the 3 and 5 hydroxyls alone, and modify the 4' position. In pterostilbene, you have just the reverse.

My money is on the 4' acetoxy form for better stability and bioavailability.

None of this of course detracts from the other evident merits of pterostilbene.
Edited by proteomist, 12 April 2007 - 04:56 PM.

saxiephon's Photo saxiephon 12 Apr 2007

Last week I added 30mg pterostilbene from Swanson to my regimen figuring that it may boost the TR effects.
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

PWAIN's Photo PWAIN 12 Apr 2007

I also take high dose antioxidants (150,000+ ORAC units/day from various polyphenols), CoQ10, chlorella, turmeric, apple, grape seed extract, NADH, royal jelly (yum), EVOO, lots of coffee

Wow 150 000 ORAC units, is that really daily? How on earth do you achieve such a high figure. Can you give a bit of a breakdown. Do you eat between supplemets? [lol]. My Miracle Reds comes out to 5000 ORAC units for a 9gram serve so I would have to have about 270grams to get what you're getting.

You mention

CoQ10
chlorella
turmeric
apple
grape seed extract
NADH
royal jelly
EVOO
coffee

Is this where you get your high ORAC score? Can you give amounts you take of each and a guess of what sort of ORAC score that delivers. I'm not trying to put you on the spot, I am genuinly intrested in how to get such a high ORAC score. Also, do you take Alpha Lipoic Acid and if so how much?

Thanks