1708 replies to this topic

#1021 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 01:32 PM

Sirtris Pharmaceuticals Inc. (Public, NASDAQ:SIRT) -

Oct 08 - Close

Oct 09, 8:52AM ET
Pre-Market: 19.02 +2.00 (11.75%)

Sirtris Pharmaceuticals' Oral Drug Candidate SRT501 Shown To Be Neuroprotective: Implications for SIRT1 Activation in Neurodegenerative Eye Disorders
Tuesday, October 09, 2007; Posted: 08:00 AM

CAMBRIDGE, Mass., Oct 09, 2007 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- SIRT | charts | news | PowerRating -- Sirtris Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NASDAQ: SIRT), a biopharmaceutical company focused on discovering and developing small molecule drugs to treat diseases of aging, announced today that activation of SIRT1, a member of the sirtuin family of enzymes, was shown to be neuroprotective in an animal model of optic neuritis (inflammation of the optic nerve that can cause a complete or partial loss of vision). These findings appear in a poster presented at the 132nd Annual Meeting of the American Neurological Association, titled "Neuroprotection in CNS Demyelinating Disease by SIRT1 Activators: A Potential Oral Therapy."

The progressive loss of neurons with age may underlie a variety of debilitating neurological disorders including optic neuritis, one of the first signs of multiple sclerosis, a disease which has been associated with reduced mitochondrial function. Sirtuins are a recently discovered class of enzymes that appear to affect the aging process in mammals and increase the number and function of mitochondria.

According to the findings in this poster, oral dosing of SRT501, Sirtris' proprietary formulation of resveratrol, reduced the loss of retinal ganglion cells and preserved axonal function in a pre-clinical model of optic neuritis. Previous data published Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2007 Aug;48(8):3602-9 showed that intravitreal injection of SRT501 confers neuroprotection.

The authors of the poster include Sirtris Senior Vice President of Development, Peter Elliott, Ph.D., and Sirtris collaborator, Kenneth Shindler, M.D., Ph.D., F.M. Kirby Center for Molecular Ophthalmology, Department of Ophthalmology, University of Pennsylvania Scheie Eye Institute in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

"This striking neuroprotective data shows promise for sirtuin activators as potential therapeutics for diseases such as optic neuritis," said Kenneth Shindler, M.D., Ph.D.

"This is the first time that an orally administered SIRT1 activator has demonstrated neuroprotection; these are encouraging data and further support the potential for SRT501 as a therapeutic for a range of neurodegenerative diseases of aging," said Peter Elliott, Ph.D.

Christoph Westphal, M.D., Ph.D., Chief Executive Officer of Sirtris Pharmaceuticals, Inc., added: "These new findings add to a growing body of data that demonstrate that SIRT1 is an important therapeutic target for a broad range of diseases of aging, including metabolic, mitochondrial and neurological disorders."

#1022 craigb527

• 116 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 06:59 PM

Went with 5 grams this morning. Feel fine. No different.

Edited by craigb527, 09 October 2007 - 09:36 PM.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#1023 malbecman

• 733 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 09:30 PM

Went with 5 grams this morning.  Feel fine.  No different.

Really, no different? That's interesting. Was it on an empty stomach? In water? Lecithin or Miralax?

#1024 craigb527

• 116 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 09:34 PM

Went with 5 grams this morning.   Feel fine.  No different.

Really, no different? That's interesting. Was it on an empty stomach? In water? Lecithin or Miralax?

empty stomach. 99% pure pills. Also Lecithin. Also threw in some resvinatrol complete liquid in case the additives they have in there help make resveratrol more bioavailable.

SRT501 is basically resveratrol is it not? They repackaged it and act ike they invented something new, giving them the option of charging out the ying yang for it.

#1025 health_nutty

• Topic Starter
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 09:56 PM

I would suggest dissolving the resveratrol in lecithin water (maybe a bit of juice to taste) to improve the solubility. Taking lecithin with the pills is not going to have the same effect.

#1026 malbecman

• 733 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 10:06 PM

On another note: Well, I finally caught my first cold since starting resveratrol supplementation last January (now at ~10 mg/kg, lecithin/water).
I really think that taking it has helped me fight off a lot of colds my kids bring home but this last one, with the start of school, was a doozy. I woke up Saturday feeling very tired, achy joints, headache and w/ a sore throat. Better during the day but got chills in the evening. Similar on Sunday w/ mild fever. I didn't use resveratrol this weekend as I was out of town. Anyways, started again on Monday. Its now Tuesday and I feel fine-a little slow this morning but otherwise okay. I don't think I've ever bounced back so quickly from a cold, esp. a more severe one like this-usually I'm out of it for more like a week.

Anyways, just more anecdotal evidence for the grist mill....... [lol]

#1027 geo12the

• 762 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 10:17 PM

SRT501 is basically resveratrol is it not? They repackaged it and act ike they invented something new, giving them the option of charging out the ying yang for it.

As I understand it SRT501 is a formulation of Res with cyclodextrin. I don't know very much about these compounds except that they are cyclic sugar chains. According to Wikipedia "inclusion compounds of cyclodextrins with hydrophobic molecules are able to penetrate body tissues, these can be used to release biologically active compounds under specific conditions". So I guess that the idea is that the resveratrol is packaged in the middle of the cycloxetrin molecule so it is more soluble? Not sure if the cyclodextrin-resveratrol complex is absorbed into the bloodsteam as is, or digested in the gut. Anyone know? In any case you are right, it is just re-packaged resveratrol. Is is more biologically available than plain old Res? They say it is but who knows. I am just happy and shocked that one of my stocks is actually making money so don’t burst my bubble. :)

#1028 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 10:22 PM

One of yer stocks? How long have you been long??? Ain't the markets at record highs?

#1029 craigb527

• 116 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 10:26 PM

I would suggest dissolving the resveratrol in lecithin water (maybe a bit of juice to taste) to improve the solubility.  Taking lecithin with the pills is not going to have the same effect.

So Lecithin Powder, resveratrol powder and water? If res = 1 gram, how much lecithin, how much water? anything else? [:o] Also, does that powder stay good for a long time or turn to cis? [wis]

#1030 geo12the

• 762 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 10:30 PM

One of yer stocks? How long have you been long??? Ain't the markets at record highs?

Except for 1 stinker they are doing ok. I don't have very much money invested in stocks actually. But it's been fun to watch the Sirtris stock, none of my others are doing as well.

#1031 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 10:34 PM

On another note:  Well, I finally caught my first cold since starting resveratrol supplementation last January (now at ~10 mg/kg, lecithin/water).
I really think that taking it has helped me fight off a lot of colds my kids bring home but this last one, with the start of school, was a doozy.  I woke up Saturday feeling very tired, achy joints, headache and w/ a sore throat.  Better during the day but got chills in the evening.  Similar on Sunday w/ mild fever.  I didn't use resveratrol this weekend as I was out of town.  Anyways, started again on Monday.  Its now Tuesday and I feel fine-a little slow this morning but otherwise okay.  I don't think I've ever bounced back so quickly from a cold, esp. a more severe one like this-usually I'm out of it for more like a week.

Anyways, just more anecdotal evidence for the grist mill....... [lol]

I'm curious: where do you live (is it sunny) and how much vitamin D3 do you take?

Stephen

#1032 malbecman

• 733 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 11:07 PM

I'm curious: where do you live (is it sunny) and how much vitamin D3 do you take?
Stephen

Yes, its sunny CA although I do moderate my exposure with sunscreen as I"ve had 2 BCC's removed and a sister with a melanoma. So, I take 1000 IU of Vit D daily plus whatever I get from milk, etc....

Why, prithee, do you ask????? [wis]

#1033 health_nutty

• Topic Starter
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 11:08 PM

I would suggest dissolving the resveratrol in lecithin water (maybe a bit of juice to taste) to improve the solubility.  Taking lecithin with the pills is not going to have the same effect.

So Lecithin Powder, resveratrol powder and water? If res = 1 gram, how much lecithin, how much water? anything else? [:o] Also, does that powder stay good for a long time or turn to cis? [wis]

I use 4oz of water and 1/2 teaspoon of lecithin granules (I let the lecithin sit in the water overnight). Many here use 1/4 teaspoon with good results.

#1034 craigb527

• 116 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 11:09 PM

Ok. Thanks. Will try that.[lol] [thumb] :) [sfty] :) [mellow] [wis] [huh] [:o]

Edited by craigb527, 10 October 2007 - 01:33 AM.

#1035 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 12:40 AM

Yes, its sunny CA although I do moderate my exposure with sunscreen as I"ve had 2 BCC's removed and a sister with a melanoma.  So, I take 1000 IU of Vit D daily plus whatever I get from milk, etc....

Why, prithee, do you ask?????    [wis]

Testing the hypothesis that low vitamin D levels correspond to impaired immune function. :)

I've heard that extrapolating from a sample size of one is problematic though. :)

Stephen

#1036 craigb527

• 116 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 03:22 PM

If SRT501 does produce a different form of resveratrol, would it not take 7 yrs or so to go through FDA approval? It would no longer be an herbal supplement. Basically they are trying to develop a way to make it more bioavailable as far as I can see. The things that they are implying that SRT501 does are actually attributed to Resveratrol.

#1037 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 03:45 PM

I don't believe it, (there is no 'different' resveratrol to approve...maybe an NCE)

I personally believe SRT501 is being used to keep them in the forefront of news (to keep their shareholders happy) by creating a news driven marketing campaign for a product they will not release.

They are building momentum, and solidifying their brand name for when the true drugs that may be released much later. Now, It is possible they will add a component to the formulation to deliberately have it fall into the realm of being a prescribed pharmaceutical and to avoid supplement folks from formulating something similar.

But for now, It's my opinion that the SRT501 which is based on micronized resveratrol, is being used to leverage the brand. They are not studying SRT501 to make a supplement, they are studying its effects to ultimately release a prescribed drug for profit, which is fine.

David Sinclair may have started at Harvard studying rsv for the benefit of us all and to publish a paper in a very prestigious journal of science. But now he is a full blown business man with another Harvard man that share a definite business plan to build a company and produce a 'unique' drug for shareholders.

At this point SRT501, is simply not unique enough, and I believe they know that. The patent is still pending after a year, which makes me believe this further. If they release it without developing the NCE's further, or getting a patent that overcomes the 'formulators' tactics of providing similar products... they will be shooting themselves in the foot.

At least that's my opinion, I can always be wrong.

A

#1038 craigb527

• 116 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 05:15 PM

I don't believe it, (there is no 'different' resveratrol to approve...maybe an NCE)

A

I agree. Was being facetious saying different resveratrol. They see something that seems to do a lot of things (Resveratrol), and want to say "its mine, all mine!" and calling something different with some cosmetic changes, possibly beneficial, allows them to pursue that. Every time they release a positive study, the stock goes up. Wonder what they would do with a negative study. Anthony are you revgenetics? If so, are your 99% pure = 99% resveratrol, not cis and how long will it stay that way?

#1039 geo12the

• 762 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 05:31 PM

The scientists at Sirtris were ones who did a lot of the fundamental research on the benefits and molecular mechanisms of resveratrol and they deserve credit for that. Biotech businesses make money by driving the commercialization of scientific innovation to the benefit of us all. As has been alluded to, it does seem like they are in a bind in that resveratrol is a nutraceutical and not a drug. If they can show that SIRT501 works better than ordinary resveratrol and they hold the patent to the exact formulation perhaps they can capitalize on this and become exclusive distributors of a “better” resveratrol. But it’s still resveratrol and it’s not clear to me that they can improve it very much. I have no idea if they are going to try to get SIRT501 approved as a drug, but I would guess not because this is a very long process, but who knows. In order to really succeed they need to develop new drugs tailored to treat specific diseases.

#1040 sUper GeNius

• 1,501 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 05:35 PM

The scientists at Sirtris were ones who did a lot of the fundamental research on the benefits and molecular mechanisms of resveratrol and they deserve credit for that. Biotech businesses make money by driving the commercialization of scientific innovation to the benefit of us all. As has been alluded to, it does seem like they are in a bind in that resveratrol is a nutraceutical and not a drug. If they can show that SIRT501 works better than ordinary resveratrol and they hold the patent to the exact formulation perhaps they can capitalize on this and become exclusive distributors of a “better” resveratrol. But it’s still resveratrol and it’s not clear to me that they can improve it very much.  I have no idea if they are going to try to get SIRT501 approved as a drug, but I would guess not because this is a very long process, but who knows. In order to really succeed they need to develop new drugs tailored to treat specific diseases.   

I believe that Sirtis's issues here are happening in parallel with other drug companies as well. The beneficial effects of many phytochemicals are becoming known, and the companies are trying to develop synthetic analogues.

#1041 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 06:28 PM

A

I agree. Was being facetious saying different resveratrol. They see something that seems to do a lot of things (Resveratrol), and want to say "its mine, all mine!" and calling something different with some cosmetic changes, possibly beneficial, allows them to pursue that. Every time they release a positive study, the stock goes up. Wonder what they would do with a negative study. Anthony are you revgenetics? If so, are your 99% pure = 99% resveratrol, not cis and how long will it stay that way?

99% = 99% tran-resveratrol, there is a coa on the website if you like to take a gander.
[lol]

A

#1042 craigb527

• 116 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 07:07 PM

OK. I already ordered from you twice. Just making sure product is pure. Was thinking of ordering the powder. Wanted to make sure it didn't go bad over time.

Edited by craigb527, 10 October 2007 - 07:18 PM.

#1043 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 07:20 PM

I believe the best way to protect Resveratrol is to protect it from UV light. We have seen this affect rsv more than most anything else. We use UV film to protect our products, but you can get it most anywhere, here's a few links regarding window sheeting if you want to protect more than just resveratrol.
[thumb]

http://www.floridawi...CFQRuZQodKEf63A

http://www.lowes.com...rgy/WndFlm.html

http://www.8milsafet...CFQtYgAodqwvjwg

but we live in a hurricane prone area, so you may not need that last one.
A

#1044 craigb527

• 116 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 08:16 PM

Will a dark closet work?

#1045 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 08:23 PM

Yes, a dark closet will work.

#1046 geo12the

• 762 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 11:07 PM

I would like to get back to the resveratrol-cranberry synergy topic. Has anyone except for me and Craig tried this? I am convinced that since I started taking both I have noticed some strong effects that I haven’t noticed when taking either of them alone. Here are the effects I’ve noticed: 1) strong stimulant effect all day and increased mental clarity. 2) decreased appetite: After breakfast at 7:00 AM, I am ravenous by 10:00 or 10:30. Since taking the res/cran combo, my hunger has been pushed ahead by about 2 hours or more so I start feeling hungry around 12:00 or 12:30. 3) Increased endurance on the treadmill at the gym, particularly on the days I go after work during the week.

#1047 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 11:37 PM

What cranberry are you using, and how much, with what resveratrol, and what quantity? Thanks.

#1048 goku

• 292 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 11:39 PM

Anthony, u seem like a good guy, but people, his COA proves nothing -- China synthesizers throw around COAs, but they can be incredibly easily fabricated -- just type one up -- done.

Anybody had anthony's res analyzed? I'm in process of analyzing his independantly and Longivenixs res. So we'll see and I'll post reality checks for everyone. we'll see... I certainly hope it's as his coa claims as I use alotta it.

#1049 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 12:46 AM

If you want to check out the COA, show a copy to the lab that did the test, and check out the lab's reputation. Anthony uses the same lab as many other supplement manufacturers.

I know Anthony's suppliers, and have tested their material, including a sample from a batch that Anthony also used. The material is good.

I haven't seen Anthony's operation, but I do know he has an FDA registration number in order to import in quantities of 25 kg or more, as I've seen him do. This makes him subject to random inspection for such things as the quality of his clean room, and record keeping as to sources of material and its disposition.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#1050 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 03:20 AM

Anthony also gets his product tested by a laboratory in Illinois (American Analytical Chemistry Laboratories); that means more to me than any COA for the reasons you mentioned.

Stephen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users