Photo
* * * * * 5 votes

"500 club" 500mg of trans-resveratrol per day

• Please log in to reply
1708 replies to this topic

#1591 jCole

• 211 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 02:35 PM

Main thing I've noticed from taking RSV this past year (1000-1500mg's in my whey protein shake in the morning) is when I'm on a mass building cycle, I find my muscle recovery to be noticeably quicker.

#1592 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 02:42 PM

Main thing I've noticed from taking RSV this past year (1000-1500mg's in my whey protein shake in the morning) is when I'm on a mass building cycle, I find my muscle recovery to be noticeably quicker.

Not surprising. Do you find weight gains, presumably muscle, are faster?

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#1593 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 02:44 PM

This differs from what you mentioned in an old post in the side effects thread, where you stated:

RSV now seems to enjoy being in my system. No negative side effects, definitely increased energy levels and my workouts and MMA training sessions are noticeably more intense. My recovery is slightly less, but this isn't an issue as I can still muscle through it with no problems.

Did something change? I am very curious to get to the bottom of resveratrol's effect on muscle recovery from lifting, and the anecdotal reports are inconsistent (even from the same user ;) ).

Edited by andre, 21 May 2009 - 02:45 PM.

#1594 jCole

• 211 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 04:15 PM

I would have to definitely say yes.

Doing a lot of impact weight lifting would make me sore for days.... I workout Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday and without RSV, I would be extremely sore between days, which does effect how much weight I can handle. When doing high weight and low reps, that or or two extra rep per set makes a huge difference.

On RSV, while I'm still sore, it's almost as if I hardly worked out at all the previous day. My recovery in just a 24 hour period is noticeably quicker, thus I'm able to push for those one or two extra reps.

I was taking RevGens p99... going to hop on Micronized I think here soon and see what results I get out of it.

Anyone have any info in regards RSV's effects on Testosterone levels and more specifically what I'm looking for, if it also prevents Testosterone from aromotizing into Estrogen?

This differs from what you mentioned in an old post in the side effects thread, where you stated:

RSV now seems to enjoy being in my system. No negative side effects, definitely increased energy levels and my workouts and MMA training sessions are noticeably more intense. My recovery is slightly less, but this isn't an issue as I can still muscle through it with no problems.

Did something change? I am very curious to get to the bottom of resveratrol's effect on muscle recovery from lifting, and the anecdotal reports are inconsistent (even from the same user ;) ).

At that time I had just started taking it and that was my initial impression, I believe I was only taking 500mg's twice a day, which seemed to not be enough at the time.

Now I've upped my intake into a singular dose and I also supplement my RSV with Quercetin now... (I mainly started taking Quercetin for my Asthma) For me, it felt like RSV took time to show a more profound & noticeable effect.

My training at the time was also way different. Training in mixed martial arts is a lot of low weight, high reps and a lot of HIIT.

Right now, I'm only bulking... Heavy Weight, low reps... lots of calories. So my workout is definitely much different then a year ago and I'm also taking more RSV and for a lot longer and in higher doses along with Quercetin.

Edited by jCole, 21 May 2009 - 04:23 PM.

#1595 unglued

• 171 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 04:34 AM

This thread has been going on over two years now. What is the general feeling about the effectiveness of resveratrol in promoting better health? How many of you have test data to show improvement in aging bio-markers, or are we mainly talking anecdotal evidence at this point?

As reported earlier, I'm pretty sure I've seen improvements in VO2 max. Those have continued to rise, if anything, since my last report. During the past two years, my HDL peaked at the highest level I've seen (48-49), but it's come down again (37) (along with total cholesterol), so I have no idea if the resveratrol is affecting that. (I had it measured again in March and it was 39 HDL, 155 total).

My doctor had my Complete Blood Count tested in March, for the first time. My Red Blood Count (RBC) is very high (5.75 M/ul) -- in fact, that would almost be too high if my mean corpuscular volume (MCV) were too big, but my MCV is at the low end of normal (83 fL). Unfortunately, I've never had RBC measured before, so it might just be genetic or due to environmental factors other than resveratrol, like exercise. Anyone have any before and after results on RBC?

#1596 BBB

• 3 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 02:58 AM

Is anyone taking 500mg a day of resveratrol (say in a 2 dose a day rate, 250mg ea) and;
1) was in good health before starting doses
2) has been on this dosage for over 18 months to present
3) male sex and weight of approx 210 pounds
4) had HDL of below 30 prior to starting dosage
5) has a higher tha 40 HDL today which they feel is attributed to resveratrol dosages and not due added excersise, special dieting or other supplements

Sorry for this tough question, though I find these forums to be usful ONLY when I understand what most of the conditions are which lead to results.
My interest is to learn if resveratrol does lead to higher HDL in most cases.

thank you

#1597 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 06:27 PM

I've moved the last dozen posts in this topic to the vendor area, under the topic Low Dose Resveratrol Products

Edited by maxwatt, 15 June 2009 - 06:28 PM.

#1598 immortality101

• 10 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 June 2009 - 02:49 AM

I started three weeks ago. I take 500 a day 1st thing in the morning with my when protein that I already have premixed (sometimes with grapefruit juice). I have noticed the same thing, my muscles recover a day or two faster than normal. My workouts that I do high rep/low weight till failure are up 25% in reps.

I have a question about bioavailability if anyone an help. Does anyone know the bioavailabilty in the mice? From what I understand they don't loose much because they don't have a 1st pass. So if that is true and we wanted to replicate that for humans wouldn't we have to take a LOT more then 500mg? Or am I wrong? Sorry I'm not as up on things as everyone else, I've been slow learning about this the last few weeks. I've always lived fairly healthy and done a lot of experiments. The last one I did was with protandim and goggi berries. I can't say resveratrol is as good as that yet but it sounds like there is more science behind res.

Edited by immortality101, 23 June 2009 - 02:51 AM.

#1599 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 04:26 AM

Unless you're shut-down, it takes time to notice a difference. I think that 500 mgs is good, we arent mice, I think its best to use the best obtainable straight up emulsified, micronized, high purity. What are you using?

#1600 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 05:05 AM

I have a question about bioavailability if anyone an help. Does anyone know the bioavailabilty in the mice? From what I understand they don't loose much because they don't have a 1st pass. So if that is true and we wanted to replicate that for humans wouldn't we have to take a LOT more then 500mg? Or am I wrong?

Mice do have a first pass effect, so that's not responsible for the differences between mice and men. When dosed orally, mice obtain a higher plasma level than humans do for a given mg resveratrol per kg body weight. I believe that this is caused by humans having better conjugative metabolism than mice, while mice tend to have better oxidative metabolism than humans. Polyphenols are metabolized via conjugation, while typical synthetic pharmaceuticals are more likely to be oxidatively metabolized, for example via the P450 family. So you're right about the effect; we probably do need to take more than the mice to get the same effect. One thing that we don't usually know is the minimum amount required to get an effect in a mouse. Usually when someone does an experiment with mice, they will use a very large dose to be sure that they will see an effect. Once they've demonstrated the effect, it's usually left to someone else, often the pharmaceutical industry, to do the dose ranging studies.

#1601 pbt

• 2 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 11:44 PM

I've been taking 1000 to 2000 mg of 99% pure res for the last year or so. Other than adding res and quercetin (8 months or so ago) to my supplement regime, my diet and exercise habits have not changed. One remarkable thing happened during this period of time. Having consumed alcohol daily (moderately, a glass or two glasses of wine) since about my early 30's (I'm now in my mid 40's) I've completely lost the desire to do that. A couple of months after starting taking res I noticed I was not enjoying my daily tipple as much as usual. This slight distaste persisted. I decided to give it a rest and resume when I started wanting it again. Basically that has not happened. And so for the last 6 or 7 months my meals have been dry. I'll still desire a drink when I'm at a bar, or in a social situation where I'd normally have a drink, though the desire is milder than it was previously. I can't think of any factor other than the resveratrol (and it's reported psychotropic effects) that would account for this fairly significant shift in my habits.

#1602 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 10:47 AM

I've been taking 1000 to 2000 mg of 99% pure res for the last year or so. Other than adding res and quercetin (8 months or so ago) to my supplement regime, my diet and exercise habits have not changed. One remarkable thing happened during this period of time. Having consumed alcohol daily (moderately, a glass or two glasses of wine) since about my early 30's (I'm now in my mid 40's) I've completely lost the desire to do that. A couple of months after starting taking res I noticed I was not enjoying my daily tipple as much as usual. This slight distaste persisted. I decided to give it a rest and resume when I started wanting it again. Basically that has not happened. And so for the last 6 or 7 months my meals have been dry. I'll still desire a drink when I'm at a bar, or in a social situation where I'd normally have a drink, though the desire is milder than it was previously. I can't think of any factor other than the resveratrol (and it's reported psychotropic effects) that would account for this fairly significant shift in my habits.

Im glad to hear that something has changed in a positive manner regarding your type of thinking. There is more to your mature thinking than using Resveratrol, you actually are doing better, you are thinking more clearly, making wiser more mature decisions. I think you understand that now is the time, to make the best of your time. It gets better everyday.

#1603 pbt

• 2 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 03:33 PM

Im glad to hear that something has changed in a positive manner regarding your type of thinking. There is more to your mature thinking than using Resveratrol, you actually are doing better, you are thinking more clearly, making wiser more mature decisions. I think you understand that now is the time, to make the best of your time. It gets better everyday.

There are thriving nations the populaces of which would disagree with the stance you take in this post. I acquired the habit of a daily glass of wine while I was living in Italy. I was happy to participate in this cultural practice, and, I happily imported it back to North American with me. I'd have been happy to continue with it, if some damn herb I began popping had not begun to interfere (in theory) with my enjoyment of it!

Edited by pbt, 24 June 2009 - 03:35 PM.

#1604 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 04:23 PM

There are thriving nations the populaces of which would disagree with the stance you take in this post. I acquired the habit of a daily glass of wine while I was living in Italy. I was happy to participate in this cultural practice, and, I happily imported it back to North American with me. I'd have been happy to continue with it, if some damn herb I began popping had not begun to interfere (in theory) with my enjoyment of it!

I'll drink to that. I've not heard of any similar inhibition of enjoyment for alcohol beverages from any one else to this point. While not daily, my enjoyment has remained frequent and unaffected.

#1605 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 10:27 PM

There is no overt psychotropic effect associated with Resveratrol. In short, you are responsible for the changes in your brain waves, you know that, go ahead, have one glass of Cabernet, stop taking Resveratrol if you feel its changed your, ahem, personality. Or continue taking it and enjoy what it has to offer. Its all about making rational decisions.

#1606 hmm

• 143 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 10:43 PM

I'll drink to that. I've not heard of any similar inhibition of enjoyment for alcohol beverages from any one else to this point. While not daily, my enjoyment has remained frequent and unaffected.

I've always felt like nothing is better than following up a couple grams of rsv with a couple of beers. But I wonder, if one was a wine drinker, if part of the enjoyment of the wine might come from the body's deep and unconscious craving for rsv. When the rsv need is satisfied through other means, perhaps some of the body's desire for wine then disappears...

#1607 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 11:14 PM

I've always felt like nothing is better than following up a couple grams of rsv with a couple of beers. But I wonder, if one was a wine drinker, if part of the enjoyment of the wine might come from the body's deep and unconscious craving for rsv. When the rsv need is satisfied through other means, perhaps some of the body's desire for wine then disappears...

Please, be realistic, the body does'nt have "a deep and unconcious craving" for Resveratrol. The body craves health and release from tension. We are definately talking about placebo effects here.

#1608 hmm

• 143 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 12:16 AM

Please, be realistic, the body does'nt have "a deep and unconcious craving" for Resveratrol. The body craves health and release from tension. We are definately talking about placebo effects here.

Don't you think that there are certain vitamins/minerals that, if an animal is deficient in that substance, it will seek it out, even in food sources that it might not normally employ? Many times when I was young I watched my dogs or cats gnaw on plants, for instance, as if there were some nutritive element in the plant that they needed. I think that if someone was chronically deficient of vitamin C, for instance, that they would gravitate toward eating oranges even if no one ever informed them either of the fact that they were deficient in vitamin C, or of the fact that oranges would help satisfy their deficiency.

Edited by hmm, 25 June 2009 - 04:17 AM.

#1609 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 12:45 AM

there are ~40 essential amino acids, minerals and vitamins that the body needs to function.

resveratrol is not in this listed of required nutrients. it modifies your body's metabolism.

#1610 hmm

• 143 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 04:17 AM

there are ~40 essential amino acids, minerals and vitamins that the body needs to function.

resveratrol is not in this listed of required nutrients. it modifies your body's metabolism.

I don't think rsv would have to be a required nutrient to be craved. It would basically just need to make the body feel better in some fundamental way.

#1611 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 04:51 AM

I don't think rsv would have to be a required nutrient to be craved. It would basically just need to make the body feel better in some fundamental way.

Resveratrol does cross the blood brain barrier, and stimulates AMPK production. I wouldn't discount off-hand that some people may notice a stimulating effect. But I think it would be more like feeling normal as opposed to run-down.

#1612 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 07:26 PM

Don't you think that there are certain vitamins/minerals that, if an animal is deficient in that substance, it will seek it out, even in food sources that it might not normally employ? Many times when I was young I watched my dogs or cats gnaw on plants, for instance, as if there were some nutritive element in the plant that they needed. I think that if someone was chronically deficient of vitamin C, for instance, that they would gravitate toward eating oranges even if no one ever informed them either of the fact that they were deficient in vitamin C, or of the fact that oranges would help satisfy their deficiency.

In a sense, yes I agree but there is also something called "pica". The body does have a certain wisdom, but if I have a craving for salty pretzels and eat a whole box, I know thats not healthy.

#1613 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 07:32 PM

Resveratrol does cross the blood brain barrier, and stimulates AMPK production. I wouldn't discount off-hand that some people may notice a stimulating effect. But I think it would be more like feeling normal as opposed to run-down.

Exactly my thoughts, Resveratrol does provide greater energy and stamina more often than not for me, in a subtle way. I know I feel better at the end of my work day after taking RSV for these many months.

#1614 hmm

• 143 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:49 PM

In a sense, yes I agree but there is also something called "pica". The body does have a certain wisdom, but if I have a craving for salty pretzels and eat a whole box, I know thats not healthy.

Salty pretzels might not be healthy now, but for most of human history, when the normal diet wasn't bombarded with salt on a daily basis, salty pretzels might have come in quite handy. The little primitive thing inside us that still makes us want salt and fat and grease probably takes many generations to evolve and react to changing needs.

#1615 hmm

• 143 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:28 PM

I think I should not have said "feel better" but perhaps "feel relatively better", or "feel some kind of relative improvement". I guess I am postulating some kind of primitive neurological segment of our brains that is capable of distinguishing the presence of individual substances in our bodies, associating each substance with benefit or detriment, and perhaps even keeping track of what the external sources of the various substances look/smell/taste like. In this scenario, a substance would not have to directly affect the brain, but only affect the body in a positive or negative way to be registered as an offender or benefactor.

In the original example: this primitive mechanism is responsible for some of the pleasure pbt takes in drinking red wine, because it senses benefit from the rsv in the wine and rewards pbt for drinking it by sending out pleasure signals. Then pbt starts taking rsv directly, and now the little mechanism senses that the rsv from the wine is no longer needed, so it stops sending pleasure signals out in response to wine intake. Without those pleasure signals, the red wine does not appeal so much to pbt any more, to the point where he doesn't feel much compulsion to drink it.

A beer or hard liquor drinker, on the other hand, would clearly not be affected in the same way when taking rsv. So you (Maxwatt) still like to imbibe, I still like to drink beer/margaritas. As well, any red wine drinker who got enough pleasure from other aspects of the wine (alcohol, taste, etc.) would not be affected to the extent that pbt has been. I have to apologize for wasting so much time and space on such a non-consequential idea... I'm off now to look for a life...

#1616 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 04:23 PM

Whilst a good number of epidemiological studies attest to the health and longevity benefits of moderate alcohol, none, AFAIK, attest to the long term health and longevity benefits of taking resveratrol.

ISTM that resveratrol inhibits use of the apostrophe, although I don't know if that's healthy either.

#1617 scott35

• 2 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 12:48 AM

500mg per day and i'm 35.....

i have been buying at [a supplier on Ebay] ...she sells some good products... pharma grade of top brands. the service is amazing as well. i do my omega3 and resveratrol with her as well as the rest of my laundry list. ebay seller who also takes offers on her supplements..i like the format.

edit: no commercial links, please.

Edited by niner, 30 June 2009 - 12:57 AM.

#1618 davidd

• Guest, F@H
  • 328 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:51 PM

Another thread was started discussing a particular person who had joint problems with high resveratrol use and what they did to relieve those issues and to allow the person to resume resveratrol. I know there are several threads about the joint issues, but thought this one was worth linking to in here, as it discusses possible options to relieve the joint pain.

I posted about my own experiences there and asked for more information.

The gist of the original post in that thread deals with synovial fluid and the poster offers the idea that resveratrol may reduce synovial fluid and may, in some people, require other substances to counter this effect.

Thanks,
David

#1619 Cburg

• 4 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 04:43 AM

Another thread was started discussing a particular person who had joint problems with high resveratrol use and what they did to relieve those issues and to allow the person to resume resveratrol. I know there are several threads about the joint issues, but thought this one was worth linking to in here, as it discusses possible options to relieve the joint pain.

I posted about my own experiences there and asked for more information.

The gist of the original post in that thread deals with synovial fluid and the poster offers the idea that resveratrol may reduce synovial fluid and may, in some people, require other substances to counter this effect.

Thanks,
David

Dear Forum,

Related to this post; I have heard of other problems with taking this high dosage: headache, dizziness, and such. Has anyone experienced any such problems?

Thanks!
Mike

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#1620 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 01:15 PM

Dear Forum,

Related to this post; I have heard of other problems with taking this high dosage: headache, dizziness, and such. Has anyone experienced any such problems?

Thanks!
Mike

Only with products containing a 50% resveratrol knotweed extract, or grape seed extracts in addition to resveratrol. >=98% no such problems reported.

Edited by maxwatt, 10 July 2009 - 01:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users