Photo
- - - - -

Your own energy drink

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#31 shifter

• 716 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 02:21 AM

Yep. No added sugars, sweeteners, preservatives, nothing! :) Unfortunatly they dont make the pulps with blueberries anymore, but can get blueberry juice. Still nice and purple coloured, but wonder if it still has all the health promoting goodies?

#32 advancedatheist

• 1,419 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 04:55 AM

Instead of an energy drink, I'd want a box of transdermal nutrient patches so I can go without eating for several days.

#33 John_Ventureville

• 279 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 08:18 AM

From the transdermal patch article:
Even using the transdermal patch, though, service members will still be hungry because the patches won't replace food. “You can still eat even with the transdermal system,” Darsch said. “Am I going to tell you that a Milky Way or a Snickers bar still won’t find its way into the rucksack of a soldier? Our service members are pretty bright. They’ll take whatever pogey bait is necessary.”
>

I initially thought this was a "meal from a patch" sort of thing (now that would be cool). But it is more like a vitamin supplement/stimulant patch to help you go *without* eating and getting the calories and full nutrition your body needs. Oh, well. It's sad that military researchers/doctors encourage our troops to eat crap like candy bars to keep them going. But I suppose it would make war even more hellish by making everyone eat healthy. lol

I wondered where "Pogey bait" originated from so I went to the Urban Dictionary website:
The Chinese word for prostitute, roughly translated, is "pogey". Thus, Marines being Marines, candy became "Pogey Bait".
>

Ahh, ain't that sweet! "Hey, you cute little Asian prostitute, may I sexually exploit you in exchange for a candy bar?" No wonder the rest of the world hates us!

Sentinel, maybe it's your charming personality and not the punch which keeps everyone hanging around! : ) But you could always look for an ingredient which stimulates the bladder and add it to the punch when things are running late. And then you could lock the bathroom door and put up a sign saying "toilet broken, sorry!" Finally, you give everyone a last round of your beverage and then you wait to see how long it takes to kick in.

John

sponsored ad

• Advert

#34 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 05:22 PM

Yep. No added sugars, sweeteners, preservatives, nothing! :) Unfortunatly they dont make the pulps with blueberries anymore, but can get blueberry juice. Still nice and purple coloured, but wonder if it still has all the health promoting goodies?

http://www.blackwell....2000.tb16007.x

"Frozen blueberries (Vaccinium corymbosum L.) were processed into juice and concentrate, and the changes in anthocyanin pigments and polyphenolics (cinnamates, procyanidins, flavonol glycosides) were monitored. While juice yield was 83%, only 32% of the anthocyanins were recovered in single-strength juice. Flavonol, procyanidin and chlorogenic acid recoveries in juice were 35%, 43%, and 53%, respectively. The proportion of polyphenolics remaining in the press-cake residue ranged from 1% (chlorogenic acid) to 18% (anthocyanins). Pronounced losses of anthocyanins and polyphenolics during milling and depectinization are believed to be due to native polyphenol oxidase. Losses during concentration ranged from 1.5% (anthocyanins) to 20% (procyanidins). Striking changes occurred in the anthocyanin profile with malvidin glycosides being most stable and delphinidin glycosides the least."

#35 Harvey Newstrom

• Guest, Advisor
  • 102 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 02:26 AM

Chocolate milkshake made out of:

- soy protein powder
- dutch cocoa powder
- sucralose sweetener
- fiber powder thickener

= very low carb, very low fat, high protein, high fiber, chocolaty goodness!

#36 pSimonKey

• 158 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 04:22 PM

Blue berry juice
Pomegranate juice
Ice green jasmine tea
Beta-alanine
Glutamine ethyl esther
Creatine ethyl ester
ALCAR
Arginine di-malate
Citrulline malate
NAL-Tyrosine

#37 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 06:25 PM

Chocolate milkshake made out of:

- soy protein powder
- dutch cocoa powder
- sucralose sweetener
- fiber powder thickener

= very low carb, very low fat, high protein, high fiber, chocolaty goodness!

You should make it with undutched cocoa powder to get more flavanoids from the cocoa.

#38 shifter

• 716 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 07:33 AM

what about some high fructose corn syrup to go with it? :p :)

#39 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 09:29 PM

what about some high fructose corn syrup to go with it? :p :)

Owww. You just brought back some bad memories. Every time I'd drink an hfcs sports drink like Powerade after a race I'd get a side stitch that would last for hours. Evil evil stuff.

#40 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 09:57 PM

So, how is HFCS more evil than something....say sucrose?

#41 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 05:44 PM

Sucrose is half glucose, which can actually be taken up by the muscles. Fructose has to be turned into glucose by the liver before muscles can use it. But the liver can only convert a certain amount before it says, screw this, you're turning into triglycerides!

Anecdotally, only the HFCS drinks consumed after a race would give me side stitches. Sucrose drinks (like GatorBarf) were OK post-race, but pre-race they'd give me a side stitch during the race. Maltodextrin drinks are AOK.

#42 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 06:32 PM

Sucrose is half glucose, which can actually be taken up by the muscles. Fructose has to be turned into glucose by the liver before muscles can use it. But the liver can only convert a certain amount before it says, screw this, you're turning into triglycerides!

Yes, but I'm not talking about sucrose vs. fructose. I'm talking about sucrose vs. HFCS. And the kind of HFCS most people ingest mass amounts of is HFCS 55 (soft drinks). Sport drinks usually contain HFCS 42. The number represents the fructose content. The rest is glucose.

No one really damned HFCS in this thread, but it has been done in others. And, I see people all the time buying cookies at "health food stores" because they are okay since they don't have HFCS.

#43 synaesthetic

• 230 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 04:40 PM

Blue berry juice
Pomegranate juice
Ice green jasmine tea
Beta-alanine
Glutamine ethyl esther
Creatine ethyl ester
ALCAR
Arginine di-malate
Citrulline malate
NAL-Tyrosine

Is NAL-Tyrosine the same as N-Acetyl Tyrosine?

#44 pSimonKey

• 158 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 08:08 PM

Yes it is.

#45 pSimonKey

• 158 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 08:18 PM

I gotta tell y' that I am using this combo at the moment, first thing a.m. and during training and it is great. I have a couple of clients that are also testing it and they are thumbs up, energy up, strength up and body fat down. I figure on running it for about 6 weeks and then trying another combo.

#46 mike250

• 981 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 08:37 PM

whats the reason for Glutamine ethyl ester? any advantages over glutamine peptides.

#47 pSimonKey

• 158 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 11:32 AM

Glutamine peptides taste like a collection of derogatory expletives. Glutamine Ethyl Ester HCl (GEE) is absorbed by the human body much quicker than standard L-Glutamine, much like the difference between Creatine Monohydrate and Creatine Ethyl Ester HCl.
It works in exactly the same way as L-Glutamine but is more effective due to the added ester.

#48 diamondhead

• 31 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 07:50 PM

alpha gpc
picamillion
N-Acetyl Tyrosine
Bacopa
ALCAR
PLCAR
Panax Ginseng
Rhodolia Rosea
Maca
PEA
L-Theanine
Phenibut
L-Taurine
Caffeine
Ephedrine
Asprin

AND TASTES AWESOME Less than 6carbs, no sugar!
hahahahahha^

#49 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 08:31 PM

alpha gpc
picamillion
N-Acetyl Tyrosine
Bacopa
ALCAR
PLCAR
Panax Ginseng
Rhodolia Rosea
Maca
PEA
L-Theanine
Phenibut
L-Taurine
Caffeine
Ephedrine
Asprin

hahahahahha^

Good God, man. I don't even want to think about that.

#50 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 June 2007 - 10:22 PM

alpha gpc
picamillion
N-Acetyl Tyrosine
Bacopa
ALCAR
PLCAR
Panax Ginseng
Rhodolia Rosea
Maca
PEA
L-Theanine
Phenibut
L-Taurine
Caffeine
Ephedrine
Asprin

hahahahahha^

Posted Image

post that drink

#51 baertacgraff

• 62 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 02:28 AM

For me, it'd have to be made of fresh greens, right out of the garden. These might include, kale, spinach, mixed lettuces, cucumber, celery, optionally one or more of the following: lamb's quarters, basil, oregano, marjoram, etc...

OR, the freshly extracted juice/water from a young, Thai coconut, with a bit of vanilla bean.

Yum!

#52 diamondhead

• 31 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 01:38 PM

alpha gpc
picamillion
N-Acetyl Tyrosine
Bacopa
ALCAR
PLCAR
Panax Ginseng
Rhodolia Rosea
Maca
PEA
L-Theanine
Phenibut
L-Taurine
Caffeine
Ephedrine
Asprin

hahahahahha^

Good God, man. I don't even want to think about that.

hhaha i forgot to add ashwangda highest extract available

#53 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 August 2007 - 10:18 PM

i would imagine that the addictive potentials of brewed coca would be immense, and should probably be avoided....

#54 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 12:10 AM

A belated thanks for cluing me in to the exact composition of HFCS. You'd think that the manufacturers would have pointed this out to the public by now. I think they're gearing up to do so, since I recently took a paid internet survey about HFCS knowledge.

Here's some new info:

http://www.healthfin...sp?docID=607536

In his study, Ho found that just one can of HCFS-sweetened carbonated beverage contained about five times the amount of reactive carbonyls found in the blood of a person with diabetes. In comparison, sucrose -- ordinary table sugar -- contains no reactive carbonyls, he said.

I wonder if sucrose would form carbonyls if it were in solution, like the HFCS was.

#55 lyelee

• 4 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 03:25 AM

i would imagine that the addictive potentials of brewed coca would be immense, and should probably be avoided....

That is totally wrong and just an uneducated guess, the follow paragraph has been taken from an interview with one of the most educated doctors in Coca leaf Worldwide, he works with several research groups in France, Belgium and USA , he is also the director of the coca museum in Bolivia

"No, it doesn't! The leaf contains translamilcocacine and sinamilcocacine (molecules that are lost in cocaine), that prevent addiction. I've made patients of mine who chewed coca all their lives stop the habit - and they suffered no abstinence syndrome! Do you realize what this means?-What?-That chewing coca leaves can cure cocaine addicts. Coca leaf chewing is the way out for cocaine addicts, just as methadone is for heroin addicts. I have been successfully applying this treatment in Bolivia for the past 20 years: before we used the chewing technique, we only recovered 25% of cocaine addicts- now we recover 50%"

http://mysteriousbol...-interview.html

#56 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 October 2007 - 04:46 AM

That is totally wrong and just an uneducated guess

maybe wrong, but considering the addictive potential of certain coca alkaloids... i would said it was a very educated guess.

and while that made be true, i dont necessarily buy that off a single blog post...

interesting read:
http://www.ots.ac.cr...gos/51/coca.htm

Edited by ajnast4r, 04 October 2007 - 04:57 AM.

#57 curious_sle

• 464 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 07:37 PM

maybe wrong, but considering the addictive potential of certain coca alkaloids... i would said it was a very educated guess.

and while that made be true, i dont necessarily buy that off a single blog post...

interesting read:
http://www.ots.ac.cr...gos/51/coca.htm

to quote the wikipedia article

Coca leaf infusions

Coca herbal infusion (also referred to as Coca tea) is used in coca-leaf producing countries much as any herbal medicinal infusion would elsewhere in the world. The free and legal commercialization of dried coca leaves under the form of filtration bags to be used as "coca tea" has been actively promoted by the governments of Peru and Bolivia for many years as a drink having medicinal powers. Visitors to the city of Cuzco in Peru, and La Paz in Bolivia are greeted with the offering of coca leaf infusions (prepared in tea pots with whole coca leaves) purportedly to help the newly-arrived traveler overcome the malaise of high altitude sickness. The effects of drinking coca tea are a mild stimulation and mood lift. It does not produce any significant numbing of the mouth nor does it give a rush like snorting cocaine. In order to prevent the demonization of this product, its promoters publicize the unproven concept that much of the effect of the ingestion of coca leaf infusion would come from the secondary alkaloids, as being not only quantitatively different from pure cocaine but also qualitatively different.

It has been promoted as an adjuvant for the treatment of cocaine dependence. In one controversial study, coca leaf infusion was used -in addition to counseling- to treat 23 addicted coca-paste smokers in Lima, Peru. Relapses fell from an average of four times per month before treatment with coca tea to one during the treatment. The duration of abstinence increased from an average of 32 days prior to treatment to 217 days during treatment. These results suggest that the administration of coca leaf infusion plus counseling would be an effective method for preventing relapse during treatment for cocaine addiction.[11] Importantly, these results also suggest strongly that the primary pharmacologically active metabolite in coca leaf infusions is actually cocaine and not the secondary alkaloids.

The cocaine metabolite benzoylecgonine can be detected in the urine of people a few hours after drinking one cup of coca leaf infusion.

Have a look at the steps required to extract cocaine from the leaves plus the amount of leaves required and compare that with the few leaves you put in a bit of hot water for a few minutes. The amount in a infusion has to the best of my knowledge never been established.

The usual cocaine alkaloid content of a sample of coca leaf material is between 0.1 and 0.8 percent. The cocaine alkaloid content can go much higher, however, as was shown in one sample of coca leaf from the Chapare region in Bolivia that measured 1.2 percent. Coca grown on the upper slopes of the Andes also contain more cocaine alkaloids than coca grown in low-lying areas. It is therefore believed that the best quality coca is grown at higher altitudes.

The on site extraction uses sodium carbonate and water to extract the alkaloids in order to bind to kerosene since the active alkaloid is not water soluble.

Please compare the process with the infusion of aprox. 3 leaves for 2 or 3 minutes in hot water
http://video.google....3...h&plindex=3
notice the large amount of leaves required to produce relatively little intermediate product.

Edited by curious_sle, 31 December 2007 - 09:46 PM.

#58 tarbtl

• 96 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 08:02 PM

Glutamine peptides taste like a collection of derogatory expletives. Glutamine Ethyl Ester HCl (GEE) is absorbed by the human body much quicker than standard L-Glutamine, much like the difference between Creatine Monohydrate and Creatine Ethyl Ester HCl.
It works in exactly the same way as L-Glutamine but is more effective due to the added ester.

Actually Plain ol' monohydrate has recently been shown to be superior than CEE. The basic stands the test of time.

There's a lot of useless crap in your drink. ei n-acetyl-tyrosine, which has been shown to be absorbed even less than l-tyrosine.

the truth is, no one needs anything more than about 200mg pure caffeine (no need for that guarana hippie shit) and make 1-2g of l-tyrosine. add ephedrine if you need an extra kick.

that's in term of pure effect though.

feel free to add xyz antioxidant in there if you feel it will make you live longer. it certainly won't give you more energy on the spot though.

#59 DocSchauss

• 10 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 07:02 PM

I add a broad spectrum amino acid with a balanced electrolyte and a product called Metabolic Enhancer and wow, a day long rush without the spike and drop I get with stimulants.

#60 Saerain

• 1 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 12:41 AM

I drink a mix of eight parts water and one or two parts a powder of the following: brown rice, millet, Job's tears, soybean, black beans, black rice, red beans, artichoke, hibiscus, green tea, Solomon's seal, momordicae grosvenori, kale, burdock, lotus root, pumpkin, radish, radish leaves, codonopsis lanceolata root, angelica, cabbage, mugwort, nori, carrot, spirulina, acerola, beet, lingonberries, black currants, aronia, concord grapes, pomegranate seeds, cherries, blueberries, cranberries, elderberries, red raspberries, black raspberries, camu camu, parsley, alfalfa, tomatoes, chlorella, agaricus mushrooms, shitake mushrooms, and reishi mushrooms. The feeling of nourishment is properly enthralling.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users