• 2,424 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 07:37 PM

Science Daily: News Source

Posted Image

Source: Society of Chemical Industry
http://www.soci.org/

Date: March 11, 2007

Cocoa 'Vitamin' Health Benefits Could Outshine Penicillin

Science Daily — The health benefits of epicatechin, a compound found in cocoa, are so striking that it may rival penicillin and anaesthesia in terms of importance to public health, reports Marina Murphy in Chemistry & Industry, the magazine of the SCI. Norman Hollenberg, professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School, told C&I that epicatechin is so important that it should be considered a vitamin.

Hollenberg has spent years studying the benefits of cocoa drinking on the Kuna people in Panama. He found that the risk of 4 of the 5 most common killer diseases: stroke, heart failure, cancer and diabetes, is reduced to less then 10% in the Kuna. They can drink up to 40 cups of cocoa a week. Natural cocoa has high levels of epicatechin.

'If these observations predict the future, then we can say without blushing that they are among the most important observations in the history of medicine,'
Hollenberg says. 'We all agree that penicillin and anaesthesia are enormously important. But epicatechin could potentially get rid of 4 of the 5 most common diseases in the western world, how important does that make epicatechin?... I would say very important'

Nutrition expert Daniel Fabricant says that Hollenberg's results, although observational, are so impressive that they may even warrant a rethink of how vitamins are defined. Epicatechin does not currently meet the criteria. Vitamins are defined as essential to the normal functioning, metabolism, regulation and growth of cells and deficiency is usually linked to disease. At the moment, the science does not support epicatechin having an essential role. But, Fabricant, who is vice president scientific affairs at the Natural Products Association, says: 'the link between high epicatechin consumption and a decreased risk of killer disease is so striking, it should be investigated further. It may be that these diseases are the result of epicatechin deficiency,' he says.

Currently, there are only 13 essential vitamins. An increase in the number of vitamins would provide significant opportunity for nutritional companies to expand their range of products. Flavanols like epicatechin are removed for commercial cocoas because they tend to have a bitter taste. So there is huge scope for nutritional companies to develop epicatechin supplements or capsules

Epicatechin is also found in teas, wine, chocolate and some fruit and vegetables.

About Chemistry & Industry

Chemistry & Industry magazine (http://www.chemind.org) from SCI delivers news and comment from the interface between science and business. As well as covering industry and science, it focuses on developments that will be of significant commercial interest in five- to ten-years time. Published twice-monthly and free to SCI Members, it also carries authoritative features and reviews. Opinion-formers worldwide respect Chemistry & Industry for its independent insight.

Note: This story has been adapted from a news release issued by Society of Chemical Industry.

#2 doug123

• Topic Starter
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 07:42 PM

Here are the associated abstracts:

Int J Med Sci 2007; 4:53-58 ©Ivyspring International Publisher

Research Paper

Does Flavanol Intake Influence Mortality from Nitric Oxide-Dependent Processes? Ischemic Heart Disease, Stroke, Diabetes Mellitus, and Cancer in Panama

Vicente Bayard1, Fermina Chamorro1, Jorge Motta2, Norman K. Hollenberg3

1. Instituto Commemorative Gorgas de Estudios de la Salud and The Department of Preventive Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Panama, Panama City, PANAMA, and Gorgas Institute, Panama City, PANAMA
2. Instituto Commemorative Gorgas de Estudios de la Salud, Panama City, PANAMA
3. Brigham and Women's Hospital, and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA.

Abstract

Substantial data suggest that flavonoid-rich food could help prevent cardiovascular disease and cancer. Cocoa is the richest source of flavonoids, but current processing reduces the content substantially. The Kuna living in the San Blas drink a flavanol-rich cocoa as their main beverage, contributing more than 900 mg/day and thus probably have the most flavonoid-rich diet of any population. We used diagnosis on death certificates to compare cause-specific death rates from year 2000 to 2004 in mainland and the San Blas islands where only Kuna live. Our hypothesis was that if the high flavanoid intake and consequent nitric oxide system activation were important the result would be a reduction in the frequency of ischemic heart disease, stroke, diabetes mellitus, and cancer – all nitric oxide sensitive processes.
There were 77,375 deaths in mainland Panama and 558 deaths in the San Blas. In mainland Panama, as anticipated, cardiovascular disease was the leading cause of death (83.4 ± 0.70 age adjusted deaths/100,000) and cancer was second (68.4 ± 1.6). In contrast, the rate of CVD and cancer among island-dwelling Kuna was much lower (9.2 ± 3.1) and (4.4 ± 4.4) respectively. Similarly deaths due to diabetes mellitus were much more common in the mainland (24.1 ± 0.74) than in the San Blas (6.6 ± 1.94). This comparatively lower risk among Kuna in the San Blas from the most common causes of morbidity and mortality in much of the world, possibly reflects a very high flavanol intake and sustained nitric oxide synthesis activation. However, there are many risk factors and an observational study cannot provide definitive evidence.

Keywords: Cocoa, flavanoids, heart disease, diabetes mellitus, cancer, infectious disease

How to cite this article:
Bayard V, Chamorro F, Motta J, Hollenberg NK. Does Flavanol Intake Influence Mortality from Nitric Oxide-Dependent Processes? Ischemic Heart Disease, Stroke, Diabetes Mellitus, and Cancer in Panama. Int J Med Sci 2007; 4:53-58. http://www.medsci.org/v04p0053.htm 

Sustained Increase in Flow-Mediated Dilation After Daily Intake of High-Flavanol Cocoa Drink Over 1 Week.

Original Article

Journal of Cardiovascular Pharmacology. 49(2):74-80, February 2007.
Heiss, Christian MD *; Finis, David MS *; Kleinbongard, Petra PhD +; Hoffmann, Arne MD +; Rassaf, Tienush MD +; Kelm, Malte MD +; Sies, Helmut MD, PhD *

Abstract:

A single-dose ingestion of flavanol-rich cocoa acutely reverses endothelial dysfunction. To investigate the time course of endothelial function during daily consumption of high-flavanol cocoa, we determined flow-mediated dilation (FMD) acutely (for up to 6 hours after single-dose ingestion) and chronically (administration for 7 days). The study population represented individuals with smoking-related endothelial dysfunction; in addition to FMD, plasma nitrite and nitrate were measured. The daily consumption of a flavanol-rich cocoa drink (3 x 306 mg flavanols/d) over 7 days (n = 6) resulted in continual FMD increases at baseline (after overnight fast and before flavanol ingestion) and in sustained FMD augmentation at 2 hours after ingestion. Fasted FMD responses increased from 3.7 +/- 0.4% on day 1 to 5.2 +/- 0.6%, 6.1 +/- 0.6%, and 6.6 +/- 0.5% (each P < 0.05) on days 3, 5, and 8, respectively. FMD returned to 3.3 +/- 0.3% after a washout week of cocoa-free diet (day 15). Increases observed in circulating nitrite, but not in circulating nitrate, paralleled the observed FMD augmentations. The acute, single-dose consumption of cocoa drinks with 28 to 918 mg of flavanols led to dose-dependent increases in FMD and nitrite, with a maximal FMD at 2 hours after consumption. The dose to achieve a half-maximal FMD response was 616 mg (n = 6). Generally applied biomarkers for oxidative stress (plasma, MDA, TEAC) and antioxidant status (plasma ascorbate, urate) remained unaffected by cocoa flavanol ingestion. The daily consumption of flavanol-rich cocoa has the potential to reverse endothelial dysfunction in a sustained and dose-dependent manner.

© 2007 Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Inc.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 opales

• 892 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 08:05 PM

Isn't epicatechin more abundant in green tea than cocoa?

#4 shadowrun

• 327 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 08:29 PM

I agree isnt this EPCG? -
It's already sold in supplement form in Green Tea Supplements -
Just looking at my shelf I have NOW EPCG 400 Mg Gree Tea extract

In fact the other day I saw this "EPCG" mentioned on a Snapple commercial

#5 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 08:29 PM

Once again the screen is stretched out to the sides because a long URL was posted. Once again it was nootropikamil who posted it. Coincidence?

Speaking of flavanoids, chrysin is an interesting one. It has antiinflamatory properties, is an antioxidant and helps destroy cancer. It's found in honey or you can buy it OTC. I eat 85% cocoa chocolate often.

#6 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 08:44 PM

Once again the screen is stretched out to the sides because a long URL was posted. Once again it was nootropikamil who posted it. Coincidence?

Speaking of flavanoids, chrysin is an interesting one. It has antiinflamatory properties, is an antioxidant and helps destroy cancer. It's found in honey or you can buy it OTC. I eat 85% cocoa chocolate often.

Have you tried an endangered species black panther bar (88% cocao)? It is my favorite (although valhrona 85% is pretty good too).

#7 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 12:14 AM

I agree isnt this EPCG? -
It's already sold in supplement form in Green Tea Supplements -
Just looking at my shelf I have NOW EPCG 400 Mg Gree Tea extract

In fact the other day I saw this "EPCG" mentioned on a Snapple commercial

EPCG is epigallocatechin-3-gallate

#8 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 12:36 AM

I don't know the exact content in cocoa, in powdered sencha, there is 10mg of EC per g of tea.

Edit: removed statement I could not confirm

Edited by cnorwood, 13 March 2007 - 01:20 AM.

#9 steelheader

• 106 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 01:34 AM

Cocoa beans can be purchased online, like at:

http://livesuperfood...CFQ5fggodEnb6pw

They say their cocoa beans are natural and unprocessed.

#10 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 01:39 AM

epicatechin are removed for commercial cocoas because they tend to have a bitter taste

This is hard to tell if they were saying it happened to most. Are they talking about the dutch process?

#11 steelheader

• 106 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 02:17 AM

Here's a better price for a similar product on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B000FFGS4M

I'm going for a couple of pounds. I've got a thing for chocolate.

#12 macanizer

• 53 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 02:48 AM

Cocoa beans can be purchased online, like at:

http://livesuperfood...CFQ5fggodEnb6pw

They say their cocoa beans are natural and unprocessed.

Jesus christ, $18/lb... someone is making a killing.

never mind, steelheader beat me to it. last time i ordered from amazon they had $10 off $40 on groceries, that made it less than $10 a lb. i highly recommend trying them on smoothies and shakes, you'll have a drink with a crunch! the first couple of times i tried the nibs they were just too bitter for me, i found out that if you toast them it gives them a nutty flavor. my taste buds got past the bitter flavor and prefer the raw falvor better. btw, i was reading on david wolfe's "naked chocolate" website http://www.rawfood.com/cacao.html that cacao is an antioxidant powerhouse, more than 100x of that found in blueberries. anyways, i think i'm going to stop eating so much because my teeth are getting stained! [lol]

#13 lucid

• 1,195 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 06:31 PM

Most greentea supplements have epicatechin and EGCG.
http://www.iherb.com...&kw=epicatechin

#14 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 06:36 PM

The amount of EC from green tea is a very small percentage compared to cocoa powder

Catechins 33.4%
EGC (Epigallocatechin) 12.41%
EC (Epicatechin) 0.02%
EGCg (Epigallocatechingallate) 16.49%
ECg (Epicatechingallate) 4.48%
Other Polyphenolic Antioxidants 17.0%.
Total Polyphenols 50.4%

#15 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 06:40 PM

The amount of EC from green tea is a very small percentage compared to cocoa powder

Catechins  33.4%
EGC (Epigallocatechin)  12.41%
EC (Epicatechin)  0.02%
EGCg (Epigallocatechingallate)  16.49%
ECg (Epicatechingallate)  4.48%
Other Polyphenolic Antioxidants  17.0%.
Total Polyphenols  50.4%

Do you know the percent amount in cocoa powder? In the powdered sencha, EC is 1%, via alcohol extraction. The jarrows extract shown above is significantly lower.

#16 lucid

• 1,195 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 06:43 PM

So how are you guys taking cocoa powder? As chocolate or a drink? I would personally rather just have a EC extract :)

#17 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 06:53 PM

The cocoa powder in this study has 7.8mg of EC per g (although it is not entirely clear):
"1 g cocoa powder/kg body weight, containing 7.80 mg EC"

http://www.findartic...2_6/ai_74510855

Which would put it at the same percentage at cocoa powder. However, the dosage of cocoa powder in the few studies I've read is 22-26g.

I keep hearing good things about cocoa. I'm adding 3-4 tablespoons in my water spread throughout the day (not very tasty, but this way the fat and sugar is under control).

#18 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 06:56 PM

I'm still not clear if "processed cocoa" is just candy or if it includes dark chocolate and baking cocoa powder.

#19 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 07:00 PM

The cocoa powder in this study has 7.8mg of EC per g (although it is not entirely clear):

Which would put it at the same percentage at cocoa powder.  However, the dosage of cocoa powder in the few studies I've read is 22-26g. 

Cool, good stuff. This may get me to go back to drinking the sencha powder only, instead of a green tea pill and some sencha powder.

I eat cocoa powder in my oatmeal sometimes, and I use it as a pick me up in my tea every once in a while.

Yeah, I dont know about the processing stuff, it isnt very clear.

Edit:

Oops, added in what I meant by powder.

Edited by cnorwood, 13 March 2007 - 07:11 PM.

#20 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 07:07 PM

Which would put it at the same percentage at cocoa powder.  However, the dosage of cocoa powder in the few studies I've read is 22-26g. 

Cool, good stuff. This may get me to go back to drinking the powder only, instead of a pill and some powder.

Yeah, I dont know about the processing stuff, it isnt very clear.

Are you talking about cocoa powder and pills or green tea powder and pills?

#21 shadowrun

• 327 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 07:35 PM

Too bad they dont just sell powdered Raw Beans!
I use the cocoa primarily for my shakes...

I mean I could chew on raw cocoa beans but it would seriously reduces its usefulness for me - Plus how could I cover up the intense bitter flavor?
I tried taking cocoa straight up but it was just too powerful for me - In a shake or on peanut butter tasted awesome though

#22 trance

• 335 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 07:40 PM

Why not throw the nibs in a coffee grinder, and make your own fresh powder?

#23 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 07:43 PM

Why not throw the nibs in a coffee grinder, and make your own fresh powder?

It would make liquor.

#24 trance

• 335 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 07:49 PM

Ah ... not my idea of a typical "bean" then. I'll have to order some, and give them a try. Thanks.

#25 shadowrun

• 327 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 08:13 PM

I've tried alot of different foods to improve my health...
But I don't know if i'm ready to start experimenting with Cocoa Liquor [tung]

#26 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 08:20 PM

Has anyone tried to make their own chocolate bars? I know Paul at MoreLife had a little write-up on his.

#27 steelheader

• 106 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 08:30 PM

Too bad they dont just sell powdered Raw Beans!
I use the cocoa primarily for my shakes...

I mean I could chew on raw cocoa beans but it would seriously reduces its usefulness for me - Plus how could I cover up the intense bitter flavor?
I tried taking cocoa straight up but it was just too powerful for me - In a shake or on peanut butter tasted awesome though

The powder sold by Navitas on Amazon is claimed to be "raw chocolate powder".

http://www.amazon.co...73815840&sr=1-2

A comparison of the ingredients for the "raw chocolate powder" and the raw nibs sold by Navitas at the same location shows a significant loss of fat in the powdering process. There are 10 g of fat per 28 g serviing in the nibs, 2.5 g of fat per 28 g serving in the powder.

Should we assume that EC content has been reduced by the powdering process?

#28 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 08:54 PM

I eat Baker's chocolate and I am used to the bitter flavor so I think the raw beans would be just fine, or are they even more bitter than unsweetened processed chocolate? Thanks everyone for pointing out places to buy the raw beans!! I've been wondering about that for some time. My feeling is that the raw beans contain better nutrition.

#29 Mind

• 18,997 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 08:58 PM

So is the best way to buy them in the "nib" form? Is there any point in eating the outside shell? I am unfamiliar with the raw bean. If the shell is useless, then why do the raw beans cost twice as much per pound as the nibs?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 Mind

• 18,997 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 09:15 PM

Duh! OK I see the price for the nibs $9.95 is for a half pound.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users