• Please log in to reply
374 replies to this topic

#31 shadowrun

• 327 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 04:59 AM

Gotta get me some Nibs!

• Lurker

Posted 14 March 2007 - 05:09 AM

I don't think the more raw always means better. There are some foods/herb where processing (fermentation, etc.) brings out some nutritional qualities that wouldn't be there otherwise. Not sure if this is the case with cocoa though.

Personally, I buy organic non-alkalinized cocoa from Trader Joe's. Drinkin' it straight now, but in the beginning I cut it was some soy or almond milk. The taste grows on ya. Stay away from alkalinized cocoa as apparently that destroys a lot of the wholesome goodness.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 shadowrun

• 327 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 03:19 PM

Definately watch out for that Alkalinized cocoa - This is also called Dutched Cocoa

I ran into this issue when the gf bought me unsweetened cocoa from the supermarket - Of course...I was suspicious of her good intentions - so I turn it over and look on the back - Sure enough - 100% Pure Dutched Cocoa...

#34 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 03:36 PM

Dutched tastes pretty good in some things, though, FWIW.

#35 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 04:40 PM

I don't think the more raw always means better. There are some foods/herb where processing (fermentation, etc.) brings out some nutritional qualities that wouldn't be there otherwise. Not sure if this is the case with cocoa though.

Personally, I buy organic non-alkalinized cocoa from Trader Joe's. Drinkin' it straight now, but in the beginning I cut it was some soy or almond milk. The taste grows on ya. Stay away from alkalinized cocoa as apparently that destroys a lot of the wholesome goodness.

Yes, I think the article was talking about the dutch process hurting nutrient quality. I just think they stated it badly, as always. I would like to see confirmation or evidence otherwise, though. I couldn't find too much. Although, from what I HAVE seen, I am leaning towards non-alkalized cocoa being ok.

#36 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 05:00 PM

It looks like all we really need is regular old Hershey's baking cocoa (unless you want to go organic). Low fat, high fiber, non-dutched. :)

"HERSHEY'S Cocoa
Our classic unsweetened, non-alkalized cocoa powder ..."

http://www.hersheys..../info/cocoa.asp

#37 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 05:38 PM

There may be good reason to go organic. Lead contamination may be more of an issue than one might expect:

Lead in Cocoa: Cocoa Contamination

#38 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 05:41 PM

There may be good reason to go organic. Lead contamination may be more of an issue than one might expect:

Lead in Cocoa: Cocoa Contamination

Good point. I'll buy trader joe's once my hershey's runs out.

#39 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 05:49 PM

Here is some good info:

Procyanidin and catechin contents and antioxidant capacity of cocoa and chocolate products.

* Gu L,
        * House SE,
        * Wu X,
        * Ou B,
        * Prior RL.

Arkansas Children's Nutrition Center, ARS-USDA, and Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, Arkansas 72202, USA.

Cocoa and chocolate products from major brands were analyzed blind for total antioxidant capacity (AOC) (lipophilic and hydrophilic ORAC(FL)), catechins, and procyanidins (monomer through polymers). Accuracy of analyses was ascertained by comparing analyses on a NIST standard reference chocolate with NIST certified values. Procyanidin (PC) content was related to the nonfat cocoa solid (NFCS) content. The natural cocoa powders (average 87% of NFCS) contained the highest levels of AOC (826 +/- 103 micromol of TE/g) and PCs (40.8 +/- 8.3 mg/g). Alkalized cocoa (Dutched powders, average 80% NFCS) contained lower AOC (402 +/- 6 micromol of TE /g) and PCs (8.9 +/- 2.7 mg/g). Unsweetened chocolates or chocolate liquor (50% NFCS) contained 496 +/- 40 micromol of TE /g of AOC and 22.3 +/- 2.9 mg/g of PCs. Milk chocolates, which contain the least amount of NFCS (7.1%), had the lowest concentrations of AOC (80 +/- 10 micromol of TE /g) and PCs (2.7 +/- 0.5 mg/g). One serving of cocoa (5 g) or chocolate (15 or 40 g, depending upon the type of chocolate) provides 2000-9100 micromol of TE of AOC and 45-517 mg of PCs, amounts that exceed the amount in a serving of the majority of foods consumed in America. The monomers through trimers, which are thought to be directly bioavailable, contributed 30% of the total PCs in chocolates. Hydrophilic antioxidant capacity contributed >90% of AOC in all products. The correlation coefficient between AOC and PCs in chocolates was 0.92, suggesting that PCs are the dominant antioxidants in cocoa and chocolates. These results indicate that NFCS is correlated with AOC and PC in cocoa and chocolate products. Alkalizing dramatically decreased both the procyanidin content and antioxidant capacity, although not to the same extent.

PMID: 16719534 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

My cocoa says it weighs out to 1g for every 1/2 teaspoon.

#40 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 05:57 PM

Thanks for the info Chris.

#41 shadowrun

• 327 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 05:59 PM

For me there is no doubt dutched chocolate tastes better - But if im gonna drink bitter unsweetened cocoa I'd like to get as much nutrition from it as possible

Alkanization isn't the only concern here, guys. You want an un-roasted nut product.

I think the nibs are more nutritious but do you think the the price difference is worth it?

I can get a half lb of Organic Non-Alkalized Cocoa from Trader Joes for $4.99

#42 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 06:07 PM

I'm taking 4 tablespoons a day (who thought eating chocolate would be such a chore :)

Shadowrun, I'm thinking the same way you are: organic TJ's cocoa is good enough for me.

#43 vortexentity

• 243 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 06:15 PM

I found this interesting paper on cocoa added to tobacco.

Cocoa in Tobacco

It is a pdf file. The interesting thing is the discussion of the psychoactive effects and the details of the various compounds. Some of the info if of little use in this discussion but the bulk of the cocoa data is worth a look. It also references several other papers and those might has some relevance as well.

I am a big cocoa fan. The FAAH inhibition effect from cocoa is likely the most potent part of the enhancement effect in mental performance IMHO.

#44 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 08:00 PM

I don't think the alkanized chocolate is bad for you, just that it reduces the nutrient quality. I don't think I have ever seen any research suggesting that Dutch cocoa is poisonous.

#45 malbecman

• 733 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 08:18 PM

Oh, late to a good discussion I see.....

Based on the paper that CNorwood shown below (I found it several months ago in my various lit searches), I've been taking 3-4T of the Hershey's Unsweetened Cocoa at night with some warm milk. I was shooting for ~20 grams cocoa powder which I had calculated would give me a good dose of epicatechin. Cocoa powder is not totally soluble but helps if you make it a paste with a little milk beforehand. Also, obviously, you are adding kcals to your diet so cut back elsewhere.

Here is a supporting blurb from, who else, Hershey's and a USDA study.

" Researchers have long known that natural cocoa is one of the best sources of flavanol antioxidants. The Hershey study, presented at Cornell's Functional Foods, Bioactive Compounds and Human Health Conference, provides useful information on flavanol antioxidants. Researchers measured the antioxidant activity of the three top-selling brands of cocoa, baking chocolate, dark chocolate, milk chocolate and chocolate syrup.

Products were analyzed at Brunswick Laboratories, an independent research lab in Wareham, Mass., and at Cornell University labs. The results showed that the greater the natural cocoa content, the greater the flavanol antioxidant levels. The highest flavanol levels were found in natural cocoa powder, followed by unsweetened baking chocolate, dark chocolate, milk chocolate and, finally, chocolate syrup.

The results of the research are supported by recently announced USDA results. "The data from the Hershey study are very similar to results from our own lab," said Dr. Xianli Wu, scientist at USDA Arkansas Children's Nutrition Center in Little Rock, Ark."

Here is some good info:

Procyanidin and catechin contents and antioxidant capacity of cocoa and chocolate products.

* Gu L,
        * House SE,
        * Wu X,
        * Ou B,
        * Prior RL.

Arkansas Children's Nutrition Center, ARS-USDA, and Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, Arkansas 72202, USA.

Cocoa and chocolate products from major brands were analyzed blind for total antioxidant capacity (AOC) (lipophilic and hydrophilic ORAC(FL)), catechins, and procyanidins (monomer through polymers). Accuracy of analyses was ascertained by comparing analyses on a NIST standard reference chocolate with NIST certified values. Procyanidin (PC) content was related to the nonfat cocoa solid (NFCS) content. The natural cocoa powders (average 87% of NFCS) contained the highest levels of AOC (826 +/- 103 micromol of TE/g) and PCs (40.8 +/- 8.3 mg/g). Alkalized cocoa (Dutched powders, average 80% NFCS) contained lower AOC (402 +/- 6 micromol of TE /g) and PCs (8.9 +/- 2.7 mg/g). Unsweetened chocolates or chocolate liquor (50% NFCS) contained 496 +/- 40 micromol of TE /g of AOC and 22.3 +/- 2.9 mg/g of PCs. Milk chocolates, which contain the least amount of NFCS (7.1%), had the lowest concentrations of AOC (80 +/- 10 micromol of TE /g) and PCs (2.7 +/- 0.5 mg/g). One serving of cocoa (5 g) or chocolate (15 or 40 g, depending upon the type of chocolate) provides 2000-9100 micromol of TE of AOC and 45-517 mg of PCs, amounts that exceed the amount in a serving of the majority of foods consumed in America. The monomers through trimers, which are thought to be directly bioavailable, contributed 30% of the total PCs in chocolates. Hydrophilic antioxidant capacity contributed >90% of AOC in all products. The correlation coefficient between AOC and PCs in chocolates was 0.92, suggesting that PCs are the dominant antioxidants in cocoa and chocolates. These results indicate that NFCS is correlated with AOC and PC in cocoa and chocolate products. Alkalizing dramatically decreased both the procyanidin content and antioxidant capacity, although not to the same extent.

PMID: 16719534 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

My cocoa says it weighs out to 1g for every 1/2 teaspoon.

#46 shadowrun

• 327 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 08:19 PM

For lots of people just having them utilize organic non-alkalized unsweetened cocoa powder is huge...Its a tremendous first step for people who grew up on the sugary high fructose laden varieties of hot chocolate - (Its also fairly economical)

Addison Strack -
For the hardcore health concious segment of society like ourselves I agree with your assesment that un-roasted Nibs are probably the best cocoa product to consume -

#47 malbecman

• 733 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 08:24 PM

Here is also a really good paper to read, includes some human data on admin. of pure epicatechin....

PNAS | January 24, 2006 | vol. 103 | no. 4 | 1024-1029
(–)-Epicatechin mediates beneficial effects of flavanol-rich cocoa on vascular function in humans
Hagen Schroeter * {dagger}, {ddagger}, Christian Heiss {dagger}, §, ¶ ||, Jan Balzer §, Petra Kleinbongard §, Carl L. Keen *, Norman K. Hollenberg **, Helmut Sies ¶, Catherine Kwik-Uribe {dagger}{dagger}, Harold H. Schmitz {dagger}{dagger}, and Malte Kelm

Added this comment as well:

This paper really works hard to demonstrate causality between ingestion of flavanols, spec. epicatechin, and its positive vascular effects. Part of it was done in conjunction with
scientists from Mars. (the company, not the planet). [lol]

They used Cocoapro powder in the study, apparently a proprietary blend of Cocoa powder from Mars designed to retain its flavonols:

Big website on it is here:

http://www.cocoapro.com/index.jsp

More added here:

Wow, this Cocopro powder looks like some good ***, I mean stuff:

In the August 2005 Journal of Hypertension, Hollenberg and Naomi D.L. Fisher of Brigham and Women's Hospital describe the flavanol content of various chocolate products. CocoaPro powder topped the list, with nearly 5,000 milligrams of flavanols per 100 grams of cocoa. The Kuna islander's cocoa beans contained nearly 4,000 mg/100 g, and their cocoa powder had 2,000 mg/100 g. "In stark contrast," the researchers observe, "all of the commercially available cocoa powders or chocolate drinks that can be purchased in American supermarkets have flavonoid contents substantially less than 5 percent of [CocoaPro's]."

Edited by malbecman, 14 March 2007 - 09:10 PM.

#48 sentinel

• Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 09:08 PM

For those of us that don't want to munch nibs or suffer de-natured Cocoa products it would appear there are some reasonable compromises like this one from Detox Your World (a uk co.):

"Detox Your World's Cacao Powder is the UK's only raw, organically certified, antioxidant-rich cacao powder.

It's created by cold-pressing our cacao beans into a cake separating the oil from the protein and fibre. The temperature is never allowed to exceed 120 degrees Fahrenheit and is usually 104 degrees F (all other cocoa powders are exposed to temperatures as high as 300 degrees Fahrenheit!). A high-accuracy thermometre monitors the process. Slowly, the pure, liquid cacao butter begins to sift off down a stainless steel valve. The remaining dry 'cake-like' material is then cold-ground, fine-milled and sifted so that only the finest, most bio-available raw cacao particles filter through into the finished product. This allows for maximum digestion and antioxidant absorption. It has a delightful, full, antioxidant-rich chocolate flavour.

Our unique technique uses absolutely no chemicals, no hexane, no solvents"

They go on to hug a few trees etc but essentially it doesn't seem that just because it's doesn't have to lose most of its benefit. I for one put an MRP, Creatine, Cocoa and Maca into a shake with water for breakfast/mid morning snack as it is, so I can do without grinding up nibs as well. Life's too short (he said with an ironic twinkle in his eye.....)

Sentinel

#49 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 09:38 PM

How about organic raw cocoa powder. I've been using this stuff for a few months.

#50 lucid

• 1,195 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 09:52 PM

Anyone have blood work before / after taking cocoa? Since It effects heart disease and diabetes I can only imagine it would lower cholesterol or triglycerides.

Here is a meta analysis:
http://www.pubmedcen...z&artid=1360667

Background
Consumption of chocolate has been often hypothesized to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease (CVD) due to chocolate's high levels of stearic acid and antioxidant flavonoids. However, debate still lingers regarding the true long term beneficial cardiovascular effects of chocolate overall.

Methods
We reviewed English-language MEDLINE publications from 1966 through January 2005 for experimental, observational, and clinical studies of relations between cocoa, cacao, chocolate, stearic acid, flavonoids (including flavonols, flavanols, catechins, epicatechins, and procynadins) and the risk of cardiovascular disease (coronary heart disease (CHD), stroke). A total of 136 publications were selected based on relevance, and quality of design and methods. An updated meta-analysis of flavonoid intake and CHD mortality was also conducted.

Results
The body of short-term randomized feeding trials suggests cocoa and chocolate may exert beneficial effects on cardiovascular risk via effects on lowering blood pressure, anti-inflammation, anti-platelet function, higher HDL, decreased LDL oxidation. Additionally, a large body of trials of stearic acid suggests it is indeed cholesterol-neutral. However, epidemiologic studies of serum and dietary stearic acid are inconclusive due to many methodologic limitations. Meanwhile, the large body of prospective studies of flavonoids suggests the flavonoid content of chocolate may reduce risk of cardiovascular mortality. Our updated meta-analysis indicates that intake of flavonoids may lower risk of CHD mortality, RR = 0.81 (95% CI: 0.71–0.92) comparing highest and lowest tertiles.

Conclusion
Multiple lines of evidence from laboratory experiments and randomized trials suggest stearic acid may be neutral, while flavonoids are likely protective against CHD mortality. The highest priority now is to conduct larger randomized trials to definitively investigate the impact of chocolate consumption on long-term cardiovascular outcomes.

Another Study:
http://www.pubmedcen...z&artid=1327732

Epidemiological and medical anthropological investigations suggest that flavanol-rich foods exert cardiovascular health benefits. Endothelial dysfunction, a prognostically relevant key event in atherosclerosis, is characterized by a decreased bioactivity of nitric oxide (NO) and impaired flow-mediated vasodilation (FMD). We show in healthy male adults that the ingestion of flavanol-rich cocoa was associated with acute elevations in levels of circulating NO species, an enhanced FMD response of conduit arteries, and an augmented microcirculation. In addition, the concentrations and the chemical profiles of circulating flavanol metabolites were determined, and multivariate regression analyses identified (–)-epicatechin and its metabolite, epicatechin-7-O-glucuronide, as independent predictors of the vascular effects after flavanol-rich cocoa ingestion. A mixture of flavanols/metabolites, resembling the profile and concentration of circulating flavanol compounds in plasma after cocoa ingestion, induced a relaxation in preconstricted rabbit aortic rings ex vivo, thus mimicking acetylcholine-induced relaxations. Ex vivo flavanol-induced relaxation, as well as the in vivo increases in FMD, were abolished by inhibition of NO synthase. Oral administration of chemically pure (–)-epicatechin to humans closely emulated acute vascular effects of flavanol-rich cocoa. Finally, the concept that a chronic intake of high-flavanol diets is associated with prolonged, augmented NO synthesis is supported by data that indicate a correlation between the chronic consumption of a cocoa flavanol-rich diet and the augmented urinary excretion of NO metabolites. Collectively, our data demonstrate that the human ingestion of the flavanol (–)-epicatechin is, at least in part, causally linked to the reported vascular effects observed after the consumption of flavanol-rich cocoa.

#51 buck1s

• 86 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 03:03 PM

Thanks for that link tintinet. I like the look of that product and the price is right too.

#52 EmbraceUnity

• 1,018 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 05:06 AM

How about organic raw cocoa powder.  I've been using this stuff for a few months.

This one costs about half as much because you get 4 pounds instead of 1 pound, but it is only twice as expensive. It's description is eerily similar to that Detox Your World brand that sentinel posted, so they are likely related somehow. Or maybe they plagiarized.

#53 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 08:22 AM

Thanks for the bargain hunting, progressive. A bit more than 2x for the container, at least as Amazon prices it for me, but still much lower price/lbs or weight, certainly.

#54 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 05:42 PM

http://www.imminst.o...601&hl=cocoa&s=

I found one of my old posts while doing a search. It looks like cocoa powder is the best all around.

#55 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 06:36 PM

http://www.imminst.o...601&hl=cocoa&s=

I found one of my old posts while doing a search.  It looks like cocoa powder is the best all around.

Thanks, I remember that post. It, combined with the one I posted on analysis of off the shelf powders, makes me confident in cocoa powder.

#56 EmbraceUnity

• 1,018 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 10:02 PM

In the most recent Scientific American, Michael Shermer had an article about how many of the health food people are wrong to be so obsessive and blah blah blah. But it had one good piece of information. He said that food that tastes better seems to be better absorbed by the body, and cited some studies. Thus, cocoa might be a way to increase bioavailability of other antioxidants as well.

#57 tedsez

• 74 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 10:17 PM

What are your opinions on mixing cocoa with milk?

It tastes a lot better that way, but will the milk significantly interfere with the absorption of cocoa's beneficial components?

If not dairy milk, what about soy milk?

#58 EmbraceUnity

• 1,018 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 01:13 AM

PETA and organic milk producers would give you some health-related reasons not to drink normal milk (bovine growth hormone, etc). Of course there may also be ethical reasons not to drink any form of cow milk.

As far as interfering with the cocoa, there is nothing to worry about. Milk in moderation won't harm your health.

#59 boily

• 171 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 02:33 AM

I found an Australian website that sells raw cacao, looks like a good product. Copied what was on their website page:

http://www.livingear.../Raw_Cacao.html

I currently take a supermarket brand at 20 grams a day, this stuff has to be a lot better.....

Certified Organic Raw Criollo Cacao (cocoa) - beans, nibs, powder and butter
Our cacao beans and nibs are the original heirloom royal criollo cacao from Xoconusco in Mexico. By buying this organic raw chocolate you are supporting a sustainable project that is rescuing this original heirloom variety of cacao, which has been grown by the mayans of Xoconusco since they originally domesticated the cacao tree over 3,000 years ago.

The certified organic indigenous growers use an age old system of permaculture, where the cacao trees are planted under the native forest canopy, along with other fruit trees, such as mango, avocado, papaya etc. All of these trees add their distinctive nuances to the fine multi-floral flavor of this exquisite cacao. [Find out more about the growers and history of this unique single origin cacao.]

Our raw cocoa powder and butter comes from Peru where raw Peruvian criollo cacao nibs are cold pressed into anti-oxidant rich cocoa powder and highly sensual cocoa butter.

At no stage in the processing of any of our raw cacao products does the temperature go above 45 degrees Celcius (113 Farenheit).

Antioxidants
Raw Cacao beans contain 10 grams of flavonol antioxidants per 100 grams, which is an incredible 10%. Research has also demonstrated that the antioxidants in cacao are highly stable and easily available to human metabolism. In the adjacent table you can see that raw cocoa powder has set the world record for antioxidants with nearly 4 times the amount of antioxidants as Goji Berries. The ORAC (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity) scale was developed by the United States Department of Agriculture to measure the ability of antioxidants to absorb free radicals, which normally cause cell and tissue damage. The higher the ORAC score, the higher the level of antioxidants present in the food.

ORAC scores for the Top 10 Antioxidant Foods (per 100 grams)
1) Raw cocoa powder* 95,500
1) Raw cacao nibs* 62,100
2) Roasted cocoa powder 26,000
3) Goji Berries* 25,300
4) Acai Berries* 18,500
5) Dark Chocolate 13,120 
6) Prunes 5,770
7) Raisins  2,830
8) Blueberries  2,400
9) Blackberries 2,036
10) Kale  1,770
Source: US department of Agriculture/Journal of American Chemical Society 
*Brunswick Laboratories MA, USA

Magnesium for the Heart and Brain
Raw cacao is the primary dietary source of magnesium, the most deficient mineral in western civilisation. Magnesium is the most important mineral for a healthy functioning heart. It also plays a key role in producing energy for the neurons in the brain from glucose. So when there is an abundance of magnesium the brain works with clarity and focus.

Mood elevators and Anti-depressants
Cacao is a great source of serotonin, dopamine, anandamide and phenylethylamine (PEA), four well-studied neurotransmitters, which are associated with feelings of well being and help alleviate depression. Both PEA and Anandamide (the bliss chemical) are found in abundance in the brains of happy people and are particularly released when we are feeling happy. Both of these nuerotransmitters are present in raw cacao in large enough quanitities to affect the brain and lift our moods. Cacao also contains monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAO Inhibitors) that keep neurotransmitters in the bloodstream for longer without being broken down.

We have all experienced the positive feelings associated with eating chocolate, now we have access to pure raw unadalterated chocolate in the form of organic raw cacao. This is much more potent than the processed chocolate and doesn't have any sugar or dairy products blocking the positive effects of all the goodies in raw cacao. My experience is that eating 11 raw cacao beans is enough to experience a blissful sense of well being.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#60 boily

• 171 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 02:34 AM

It seems like a massive ORAC score, does it sound right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users