Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Gravity and Aging/Lifespan

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 niteinnyc

• 61 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 11:22 PM

I am wondering if there are any studies related to the impact of gravity on the biological aging process. If a human spent his entire life in a zero gravity environment, would that person's average expected lifespan be increased, and if this could somehow be quantified by what amount? This is aside from the visibly apparant affects of a lifetime of gravity on our exterior. My own common-sense theory (I'm not a scientist, just an avid outside the box thinker), is that the constant gravitational forces on our organs, especially the heart and blood, increases workload or the effort needed to function, and that lessening or removing this force could significantly extend their optimal and useful life.

If this were true, and the creation of a viable anti-gravitational field becomes a reality which could be created in a small space and at a reasonable cost (big unkowns and a big leap ahead from current capabilites as seen here and other places http://www.scienceda...0325232140.htm), then this would obviously become the most direct and certain way to increase ones life-span, barring any other major bio related developments. The first most logical application of this would be to utilize it in a bed or sleeping area, where we spend a large portion of our lives. Even without gaining lifespan expectancy, I can see the vanity market, with many people desiring to eliminate 33% of the gravitational pull on our skin. Perhaps even if gravity does indeed have a significant impact on lifespan, the possible creation of a device like this at the scale and cost needed is so far out into the future that breaktrhoughs in other areas such as nanotechnology are sure to become available sooner. I thought I'd throw this out there anyway, and it doesn't hurt to dream. I'd love to hear thoughts on this from those with more knowledge.

#2 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 12:06 AM

I know that muscles atrophy and bone density is lost very quickly in zero gravity. Not sure what affect that would have on life span, but it can't be positive.

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 niteinnyc

• Topic Starter
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 03:17 AM

One man's postulations can be found at:

http://www.winwenger.com/part94.htm

"Predictions:
It will become quietly apparent that normal human lifespans can be comfortably extended ten to fifty years longer in a low-gee environment, an effect which I don't think will be found in a zero-gee environment."

Perhaps a low gravity environment would provide enough of the positive affects without too much of the negative, such as the bone calcium issue. Since that (low G) would probably be easier to achieve anyway, this may make it relatively more feasible.

Edited by niteinnyc, 19 March 2007 - 03:28 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users