• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

explain your avatar

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 Karomesis

• 1,010 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 03:32 AM

I'll go first, mine is the lone student facing a phalanx of chinese tanks at the tiananmen square massacre.

for me, it represents a lone person facing unbeatable odds......and coming out on top.

http://en.wikipedia....rotests_of_1989

#2 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 03:46 AM

Mine is pretty self explanatory I think; It is a representation of DNA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNA

#3 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 03:52 AM

I like Dylan.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 March 2007 - 03:57 AM

Karo, I would never have guessed that. The limitations of avatar size here at ImmInst sometimes makes having discernable avatars difficult.

My avatar has infinity symbols intertwined as mobius strips. I guess the meaning of mine is also kind of obvious. Maybe you could interpret the movement as representing immortality as a dynamic goal that is always moving...?? I don't know, I'm grasping at straws now. I swiped mine off the Bradshaw Foundation site so it is not really "mine", but I do have a fondness for it.

#5 shadowrun

• 327 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 04:07 AM

I need to change mine...Too many people with trees!

A tree I'd like to sit under
"Tree of life"
Individuality
Wisdom

#6 Johan

• Guest, F@H
  • 472 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 04:22 AM

Mine is a combination of two pictures. The water droplet is from a game I play; in the game, it symbolizes intellect, wisdom, knowledge, and scientific progress. And then there's the ImmInst logo, which you all know what it means. Together they represent the eternal search for wisdom and knowledge, a quest free of the limitations of death.
And, since the ImmInst logo is within the water droplet, it could also mean that immortality lies within that knowledge I wish to attain, which is exactly how it is.

Edited by namingway, 15 April 2007 - 09:14 PM.

#7 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 04:41 AM

Karo, I would never have guessed that.  The limitations of avatar size here at ImmInst sometimes makes having discernable avatars difficult.

No kidding. I thought it was possibly an image of a pinnate leaf.
Posted Image

Although in retrospect I should have realized that would be way too insipid a symbol for someone like Karomesis ;)

I tried a couple different ways of reducing the image for you although It's still hard to fit into 64px squared.

Posted Image Posted Image
http://i3.tinypic.com/2ylv409.jpg http://i12.tinypic.com/2uesg91.jpg

#8 OutOfThyme

• 156 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 04:56 AM

Should I restore my heartbeat?

Ok, here goes...

"CLEAR!"

It means I'm alive. Simple as that. Too bad I couldn't get it to flatline when logged off. ;)

#9 samson

• 180 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 05:00 AM

I'm a bastard, therefore I have the greatest incarnation and god of the bastards as my avatar. Besides, Spider Jerusalem is fucking cool.

#10 Aegist

• Guest Shane
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 05:18 AM

I changed to a pic of me when I became a nav because I think it is nice to let people see what you look like. Prior to this I had the TOOL eye (the eye which keeps rolling over backwards). It doesn't mean anything special other than the fact that TOOL kicks arse.

#11 jdog

• 227 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 05:25 AM

I changed to a pic of me when I became a nav because I think it is nice to let people see what you look like. Prior to this I had the TOOL eye (the eye which keeps rolling over backwards). It doesn't mean anything special other than the fact that TOOL kicks arse.

Yeah, that eye was freeking me out. Thanks for changing it ;)

Mine is a picture of God, rolling dice. Haha.

It symbolizes the quantum characteristics of our reality. It can be summed up as, we don't know anything for sure, and that which does happen, is purely a result of chance. Ehh, that's about as far as I can explain without going into greater (more complicated) detail.

#12 Neurosail

• Life Member, F@H
  • 311 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 March 2007 - 06:10 AM

My avatar is Lake Michigan taken on my 21st birthday (Feb. 1, 1979)
Here is a larger photo of it.

Posted Image

The photo means to me the beauty of nature, the endless horizon of the future, and the footsteps in the snow is the journey.

Just behind the trees on the left side is the steel mills, and about 30 miles around the shore, out of view, is the city of Chicago. So it is possible to have beauty of nature and a large city side by side.

#13 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 06:49 AM

Mine is obviously a picture of me

#14 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 06:49 AM

Don, where is that Jesus saves soccer goalie avatar I sent you?

#15 futureofscience

• 182 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 10:08 AM

Mine is some generic microarray slide that I found somewhere. What I study involves using them, plus it's better than my butt ugly face [lol]

#16 basho

• 774 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 10:57 AM

Mine is a reflection of the deep-seated apathy that haunts my empty heathen soul.

/edit: after a several months, these comments may make no sense if we change our avators

edit: yep, I changed my avator and now my first comment makes no sense.

Edited by basho, 20 April 2007 - 01:16 PM.

#17 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 12:06 PM

Mine is of something so hideous that i'm sure it gives most people nightmares.

#18 JohnDoe1234

• 1,097 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 12:58 PM

Mine is obviously me... I try to alternate it about once every month or two.

Karomesis... I've actually spent a little time before trying to figure out what your avatar was, and I always assumed that it was that lone student in front of the tanks, It's funny how we can recognize things that are that compressed/squished.

Oh yeah, Zoo... you're looking really young for your age there in that avatar no skin blemishes or anything!

#19 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 01:33 PM

or nose

#20 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 March 2007 - 05:07 PM

Don, where is that Jesus saves soccer goalie avatar I sent you?

Damn it Zool, I don't know! That was the best avatar ever.

#21 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 05:15 PM

Mine is obvious. I used to have this:
Posted Image

I just like being me moreso.

#22 biknut

• 1,892 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 05:37 PM

Mine is my Chinese lion. My lion partner and I are doing tricks in a Chinese new year performance. About 2000 people are watching. We're on a stand about 40" high. I'm the base.

Chinese lions are mythical creatures that scare away evil spirits.

#23 Karomesis

• Topic Starter
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 06:27 PM

Karo, I would never have guessed that. The limitations of avatar size here at ImmInst sometimes makes having discernable avatars difficult.

Don, is there anyway to change the allowed avatar size? or was it discussed before and I wasn't invited?

I tried a couple different ways of reducing the image for you although It's still hard to fit into 64px squared.

user posted image user posted image
http://i3.tinypic.com/2ylv409.jpg http://i12.tinypic.com/2uesg91.jpg

thanks Lunar [thumb]

#24 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,074 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 06:35 PM

My avatar is just me (for leadership purposes). I used to have a picture of a nice sunset, because I like being outdoors.

#25 maestro949

• 2,350 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 07:22 PM

My avatar is an immortal, crime-fighting, hyper-dimensional god. In his spare time he enjoys zipping around the universe destroying advanced civilizations by engineering viral agents, framing famous scientists for them and then arresting them in dramatic fashion. He uses the reward money on hedonistic pleasures, his favorite being a game where you abduct fetuses from the races of one civilization and plant them in the wombs of others. He claims that it's terrible entertaining to see the look on the parents' faces. I guess I'll have to take his word for it. Sounds pretty sick and twisted if you ask me.

#26 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 March 2007 - 07:50 PM

Don, is there anyway to change the allowed avatar size?

As of right now, no there isn't. I'm not sure if the forum upgrade will allow for larger avatars though I guess it's possible.

The avatar dimensions for our site are rather smallish.

#27 screamfiend

• 42 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 08:49 PM

Mine is "no Grim Reapers". It's a tribal tattoo with the anti-symbol running through it.

#28 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 09:30 PM

My avatar is an immortal, crime-fighting, hyper-dimensional god.  In his spare time he enjoys zipping around the universe destroying advanced civilizations by engineering viral agents, framing famous scientists for them and then arresting them in dramatic fashion.  He uses the reward money on hedonistic pleasures, his favorite being a game where you abduct fetuses from the races of one civilization and plant them in the wombs of others.  He claims that it's terrible entertaining to see the look on the parents' faces.  I guess I'll have to take his word for it.  Sounds pretty sick and twisted if you ask me.

When is the book coming out?

#29 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 10:21 PM

My avatar is an immortal, crime-fighting, hyper-dimensional god.  In his spare time he enjoys zipping around the universe destroying advanced civilizations by engineering viral agents, framing famous scientists for them and then arresting them in dramatic fashion.  He uses the reward money on hedonistic pleasures, his favorite being a game where you abduct fetuses from the races of one civilization and plant them in the wombs of others.  He claims that it's terrible entertaining to see the look on the parents' faces.  I guess I'll have to take his word for it.  Sounds pretty sick and twisted if you ask me.

Or the movie.

#30 basho

• 774 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 12:23 AM

Or the movie.

Will the game tie-in be a PS3 exclusive?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users