LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

- - - - -

The Benefits of Bananas

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

• Lurker

Posted 14 April 2007 - 11:37 PM

Never put a banana in the refrigerator!!!

This is interesting.
After reading this, you'll never look at a banana in the same way again.

Bananas contain three natural sugars - sucrose, fructose and glucose combined with fiber. A banana gives an instant, sustained and substantial boost of energy.

Research has proven that just two bananas provide enough energy for a strenuous 90-minute workout. No wonder the banana is the number one fruit with the world's leading athletes.

But energy isn't the only way a banana can help us keep fit. It can also help overcome or prevent a substantial number of illnesses and conditions, making it a must to add to our daily diet.

Depression: According to a recent survey undertaken by MIND amongst people suffering from depression, many felt much better after eating a banana. This is because bananas contain tryptophan, a type of protein that the body converts into serotonin, known to make you relax, improve your mood and generally make you feel happier.

PMS: Forget the pills - eat a banana. The vitamin B6 it contains regulates blood glucose levels, which can affect your mood.

Anemia: High in iron, bananas can stimulate the production of hemoglobin in the blood and so helps in cases of anemia.

Blood Pressure: This unique tropical fruit is extremely high in potassium yet low in salt, making it perfect to beat blood pressure. So much so, the US Food and Drug Administration has just allowed the banana industry to make official claims for the fruit's ability to reduce the risk of blood pressure and stroke.

Brain Power: 200 students at a Twickenham (Middlesex) school (England) were helped through their exams this year by eating bananas at breakfast, break, and lunch in a bid to boost their brain power. Research has shown that the potassium-packed fruit can assist learning by making pupils more alert.

Constipation: High in fiber, including bananas in the diet can help restore normal bowel action, helping to overcome the problem without resorting to laxatives.

Hangovers: One of the quickest ways of curing a hangover is to make a banana milkshake, sweetened with honey The banana calms the stomach and, with the help of the honey, builds up depleted blood sugar levels, while the milk soothes and re-hydrates your system.

Heartburn: Bananas have a natural antacid effect in the body, so if you suffer from heartburn, try eating a banana for soothing relief.

Morning Sickness: Snacking on bananas between meals helps to keep blood sugar levels up and avoid morning sickness.

Mosquito bites: Before reaching for the insect bite cream, try rubbing the affected area with the inside of a banana skin. Many people find it amazingly successful at reducing swelling and irritation.

Nerves: Bananas are high in B vitamins that help calm the nervous system.

Overweight and at work? Studies at the Institute of Psychology in Austria found pressure at work leads to gorging on comfort food like chocolate and chips. Looking at 5,000 hospital patients, researchers found the most obese were more likely to be in high-pressure jobs. The report concluded that, to avoid panic-induced food cravings, we need to control our blood sugar levels by snacking on high carbohydrate foods every two hours to keep levels steady.

Ulcers: The banana is used as the dietary food against intestinal disorders because of its soft texture and smoothness. It is the only raw fruit that can be eaten without distress in over-chronicler cases. It also neutralizes over-acidity and reduces irritation by coating the lining of the stomach.

Temperature control: Many other cultures see bananas as a "cooling" fruit that can lower both the physical and emotional temperature of expectant mothers. In Thailand , for example, pregnant women eat bananas to ensure their baby is born with a cool temperature.

Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD): Bananas can help SAD sufferers because they contain the natural mood enhancer tryptophan.

Smoking &Tobacco Use: Bananas can also help people trying to give up smoking. The B6, B12 they contain, as well as the potassium and magnesium found in them, help the body recover from the effects of nicotine withdrawal.

Stress: Potassium is a vital mineral, which helps normalize the heartbeat, sends oxygen to the brain and regulates your body's water balance. When we are stressed, our metabolic rate rises, thereby reducing our potassium levels. These can be rebalanced with the help of a high-potassium banana snack.

Strokes: According to research in The New England Journal of Medicine, eating bananas as part of a regular diet can cut the risk of death by strokes by as much as 40%!

Warts: Those keen on natural alternatives swear that if you want to kill off a wart, take a piece of banana skin and place it on the wart, with the yellow side out. Carefully hold the skin in place with a plaster or surgical tape!

So, a banana really is a natural remedy for many ills. When you compare it to an apple, it has four times the protein, twice the carbohydrate, three times the phosphorus, five times the vitamin A and iron, and twice the other vitamins and minerals. It is also rich in potassium and is one of the best value foods around.

#2 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 11:48 PM

Oh, wow.

I don't eat bananas. I'm not going to start.
  • Unfriendly x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 william7

• 1,777 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 12:26 AM

A very interesting article wonder, but you should provide us with a link to it if possible.

I eat bananas regularly and don't plan to stop. They're fairly cheap and I'm on a tight budget right now.

Does anybody know whether overly ripe bananas are still healthy for you or have they lost potency?

Oh, wow.

I don't eat bananas. I'm not going to start

You don't eat your bananas! You should be ashamed of yourself.

#4 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,074 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 12:28 AM

A lot of calories in a banana, but I still figure its a better source of carbs than noodles, white bread, or potatoes.
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#5 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 12:56 AM

I do like me some bananas.

They are usually the cheapest fruit at the grocery store. (per lb. anyway)

#6 JohnDoe1234

• 1,097 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 01:42 AM

Sweet! I eat about 1-2 a day on average...

#7 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 03:26 AM

What about their radiation :)

The following is cut and pasted:

Banana Equivalent Dose

re: The Radiation Dose from a "Reference Banana."

Some time ago (when I almost had time to do such things) I calculated the dose
one receives from the average banana. Here's how it goes:

On page 620 of the CRD Handbook on Rad Measurement and Protection, the
concentration of K-40 in a "Reference Banana" is listed as 3520 picocuries per
kilogram of banana. For those of us who are stuck in certain unit ruts, this
is equivalent to 3.52E-6 microcuries of K-40 per gram of banana.

An average "Reference" banana weighs (masses) about 150 grams (I think.) So,
the ICRP Reference Banana contains about 5.28E-4 microcuries of probably
deadly K-40.

Federal Guidance Report #11 lists the ingestion dose (committed effective dose
equivalent) for K-40 as 5.02E-9 Sv/Bq or (again, for those of us who are
"unit-challenged," 1.86E-2 rem per microcurie ingested.)

Thus, the CEDE from ingestion of a Reference Banana is 5.28E-4 x 1.86E-2 =
9.82E-6 rem or about 0.01 millirem.

I have found this "Banana Equivalent Dose" very useful in attempting to
explain infinitesmal doses (and corresponding infinitesmal risks) to members
of the public. (Interestingly, the anti-nukes just HATE this, and severely
critisize us for using such a deceptive concept.)

Would love to go into more detail, but have to get back to our DEADLY Human
Radiation Experiments (i.e., eating bananas.)

The same table in the CRC Handbook lists 3400 pCi/kg for white potatoes and
4450 pCi/kg for sweet potatoes - so you could carry through the same sort of
calculation for Reference Potatoes. Interestingly, raw lima beans come in at
4640 pCi/kg, "dry, sweet" coconut comes in at 6400 pCi/kg, and raw spinach
(yum!) comes in at 6500 pCi/kg.

Considering the fact that the DOE has officially stated that "there is no safe
dose of radiation" my advice to you all is to stop eating immediately.

Oh yes! Almost forgot. Regarding K-40, go into your local grocery store, buy
some salt-substitute (there are two common brands, and the one in the white
and orange labeled container works best) spread some out on a table and check
it out with a GM survey instrument. There it is folks, deadly radioactivity
in your grocery store!

Yours for healthful diets . . .

Captain Internal Dosimetry
aka Gary Mansfield, LLNL, (mansfield2@llnl.gov)

Disclaimer:

Neither Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, the University of California,
nor the Department of Energy recommends eating bananas.

#8 basho

• 774 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 03:42 AM

Holy cow, radiactive bananas!! I admit that scared me for a second, and not because bananas are the atheists worst nightmare. Luckily some quick research showed it is totally insignificant compared to the radiation received from everything else we are exposed to in the environment.

http://shallowthgts....ive-banana.html

"When bananas are outlawed, only outlaws will eat bananas".

#9 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 05:19 AM

yeah, I know--but fun to post :)

Cancer patients going through radiation treatment have special diets to reduce the toxicity from radiation-- if one is concerned they can add those to their diet. You can do further searches on what supplements are needed to reduce radiation, as we get it from all sorts of sources.

My Grandfather was a Cornel in the U.S. army. He ate bananas every day per doctors orders, for the potassium. He died of lots of cancers at age 72 (lung, but it spread) (very young in my opinion).

He also smoked pipes all his adulthood though ;)

#10 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 05:27 AM

Do we know what kind of radiation it is? Certain types of radiation (for instance microwaves) are relatively harmless.

As a side note, I learned a tremendous amount about radioactivity in general from the UC Berkley "Physics for Future Presidents" course (available online, along with many other courses):
http://webcast.berke...esid=1906978275
(the 7th and 8th lectures are on radioactivity)

#11 bgwowk

• 1,715 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 07:59 AM

Live Forever, the radiation being discussed here is ionizing radiation. The real deal.

But People: Potassium is an essential element of life. Every cell of your body is full of potassium. You get a million times more radiation from the potassium inside your own body than you do from having bananas in your kitchen or in your GI tract. All potassium naturally consists of a small fraction of radioactive potassium 40. There is no avoiding it. It's a left over nuclear fusion product from the ancient stars that produced the elements our solar system and our bodies are made of. There are 4000 nuclear decays of potassium inside your body every second. A banana or potassium supplement will emit radiation higher than background because of its potassium content, but you NEED that potassium to live.

People don't realize the extent to which radiation is ubiquitous in our lives. I saw the newly-renovated Griffith planetarium today, and they have a cloud chamber exhibit in which you can actually see cosmic rays make vapor trails right in front of your eyes. Whoosh, whoosh, whoosh, they go, several per second, over just a few square inches. Right now as you sit at the keyboard, whoosh, whoosh, through your body too.

#12 basho

• 774 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 08:49 AM

Cosmic rays... Whoosh, whoosh, whoosh, they go, several per second, over just a few square inches.  Right now as you sit at the keyboard, whoosh, whoosh, through your body too.

And whoosh, whoosh, whoosh they go through your DNA, knocking out bits here, disrupting bits there. Thankfully we have evolved various DNA repair mechanisms to generally cope with this level of background radiation, keeping most of us functional long enough to reproduce.

#13 OutOfThyme

• 156 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 09:34 PM

[:o] Time to move that pitchblende and secondary ore collection to the garage. :)

Btw, I think the op came from here:

#14 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 10:48 PM

Considering the fact that the DOE has officially stated that "there is no safe
dose of radiation" my advice to you all is to stop eating immediately.

This is known as the "Linear No Threshold" model, and it has been effectively debunked. There is still a substantial fraction of the medical and even scientific community that are either unaware of this or refuse to let go. Look into Radiation Hormesis. It's a real eye-opener. Modest amounts of certain types of radiation are good for you, in the same way that exercise, caloric restriction, and ingestion of certain phytochemicals are good for you.

#15 bgwowk

• 1,715 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 12:46 AM

The conventional wisdom of health and medical physics practice, as represented by the NAS BEIR VII report in 2005

http://hps.org/newsa...oldnews497.html

is that the LNT model is valid, and should be used for modeling radiation effects in populations. However the Health Physics Society is quite honest in saying that health effects of radiation are so small at doses less than 100 mSv (30 times normal annual background dose), that it is practically impossible to detect them above the noise level.

Of course none of this has anything to do with bananas, because your body regulates potassium levels within a tight range regardless of how many bananas you do or don't eat. The exhortation to avoid bananas because no radiation dose is safe was a physics joke.

#16 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 12:54 AM

No one ever said anything about this. Does it break down the nutrients?

#17 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 01:04 AM

It will accelerate the browning of the peel.

#18 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 01:11 AM

It will accelerate the browning of the peel.

Oh ok. Sometimes I freeze some grapes or a banana and eat it.

#19 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 02:29 AM

I heard that the interior of the banana stays firm longer (does not turn to brown sugar mush as quickly) when a banana is kept at a colder temperature, but the peel darkens faster than at a warm temp.

Has seemed to work for me.

#20 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,074 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 03:12 PM

New banana diet fad hits Japan

Bananas are hardly the first fad diet to create shortages in Japan's consumer markets. During the 1970s, there were similar runs on black tea fungus, oolong tea and konnyaku; during the 1980s it was baby formula, banana and boiled egg; then, in the '90s, came apple, nata de coco, cocoa and chili pepper; and during this decade black vinegar, carrot juice, soy milk, beer yeast and toasted soybean flour (kinako). Last year's fermented soybean (natto) diet emptied supermarket shelves. Based on experience, Horiuchi predicts that the banana boom will last only another month or so.

Interesting history of diet fads in Japan.

#21 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 04:24 PM

General rule of thumb: Do not eat fruits in which you cannot eat the peel. The peel is generally where the vast majority of nutrients are.

#22 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 01:09 PM

I don't like bananas either..

#23 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 01:15 PM

I think that bananas are a source of AGEs

#24 s123

• Director
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 01:46 PM

Bananas contain three natural sugars - sucrose, fructose and glucose combined with fiber. A banana gives an instant, sustained and substantial boost of energy.

Morning Sickness: Snacking on bananas between meals helps to keep blood sugar levels up and avoid morning sickness.

The report concluded that, to avoid panic-induced food cravings, we need to control our blood sugar levels by snacking on high carbohydrate foods every two hours to keep levels steady.

And this should be positive???

#25 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 02:37 PM

General rule of thumb: Do not eat fruits in which you cannot eat the peel. The peel is generally where the vast majority of nutrients are.

Hence why they call me "mellow yellow"

#26 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 06:36 PM

Eat every two hours?
Some people can barely eat three times a day!

#27 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 11:13 AM

#28 william7

• 1,777 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 12:31 PM

Instead of putting bananas in the refrigator, but them in the freezer when they're semi-overripe. Makes them taste better for some reason. I recently learned how to make smoothies by blending frozen bananas, rice milk, honey and berries. Tastes great!

#29 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 12:37 AM

Instead of putting bananas in the refrigator, but them in the freezer when they're semi-overripe. Makes them taste better for some reason. I recently learned how to make smoothies by blending frozen bananas, rice milk, honey and berries. Tastes great!

Zowie -- and I bet your blood sugar hits 250! ;-)

#30 Johan

• Guest, F@H
  • 472 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 08:13 PM

To avoid the high glycemic effect of bananas, it seems to help to eat them unripe (when the peel is green). Several websites cite green unripe bananas as having a significantly lower glycemic index than ripe ones. Can anyone verify this? Also, does the bioavailability of potassium in bananas change with ripeness?

Below are some examples of such websites (I'm not judging the trustworthiness of these sites, though):

"An unripe banana is about 30 points lower in glycemic effect than a ripe one." One list, perhaps using a different glycemic index, places an unripe banana at 30, and a ripe banana at 52.

Some factors that affect GI: [...] ripeness of fruit (unripe bananas can have a GI of 43, where overripe ones have been clocked at 74),[...]

banana 62
banana, unripe 30
[Numbers are glycemic indices]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users