Photo
- - - - -

2000 mg Club

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#91 tayo

• 1 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 02:12 AM

I'll be taking 5g/day of 50% product (3x1g doses throughout day and 2g before bed) for 3 days just for experimentation (possibly 30 minutes after fiber pills), and will lower down to 2grams a day after that.
Looking for increased strength while weightlifting and physique change (from mitochondria increase), more energy and faster recovery.

Other supplements... 6-OXO extreme, 6 caps per day (3 in morning, 3 before bed) to increase natural testosterone
nettle root 6 x 500mg caps (3 in morning, 3 before bed)
inhibit 5-alpha-reductase to stop conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone
pygeum 6 x 500mg caps (3 in morning, 3 before bed)
to inihibit SHBG (Sex Hormone Binding Globulin) to allow for more free, non-bound testosterone

Routines..
Lifting heavy for mass building 3x a week (full body.. upper, core, legs) 1.5 hours.
Playing soccer for 2 hours, 3 times a week.

I do not drink alcohol.
I may consider going beyond the 5 gram dose if there are no/little emodin side effects.

What do you guys think?

Edited by tayo, 27 July 2007 - 02:35 AM.

#92 ortcloud

• 329 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 03:33 AM

with all of these side effects at various doses for people, how is sirtris ever going to be able to come up with a dose for the masses without problems ?

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#93 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 09:34 PM

It's like any other drug, etc.. Some people may have idiopathic reactions to anything- milk, strawberries. If it works with minimal, tolerable, or no side effects for a percentage of the population, and it's as effective as preliminary studies indicate, they'll have plenty of patients.

#94 electric buddha

• 76 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 01:36 AM

Someone should merge this thread with the 500 Club... Maybe rename the result as the High Dose Resveratrol Club or something of that nature

Make sense? Easier to read and at least one know where to post updates.

As a semi-lurker, semi-sporatic reader, I have to say that the current post count in that thread already makes it tedious to find any information there. It's already like a subforum was mashed into a single post. Any additions seem as if it'd make it less easy, not more, to read.

with all of these side effects at various doses for people, how is sirtris ever going to be able to come up with a dose for the masses without problems ?

That's making a very large assumption that most aren't placebo effects.

#95 ortcloud

• 329 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 05:14 PM

Huh ? This is a very odd statement. If the person is taking resveratrol then they arent taking a placebo. placebo is a noun, you are using it in a different fashion. placebo refers to a suggested consequence or effect before taking it. Since this discussion about effects people are experiencing is post consumption, it wouldnt be a placebo effect. Regardless, side effects either generated by the drug or the mind are nevertheless just as real to the person taking it and if these side effects are too great, compliance will be affected.

#96 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 10:33 PM

Huh ? This is a very odd statement. If the person is taking resveratrol then they arent taking a placebo. placebo is a noun, you are using it in a different fashion. placebo refers to a suggested consequence or effect before taking it. Since this discussion about effects people are experiencing is post consumption, it wouldnt be a placebo effect. Regardless, side effects either generated by the drug or the mind are nevertheless just as real to the person taking it and if these side effects are too great, compliance will be affected.

Placebo effect also refers to a mental effects of a drug, caused by expectations rather than by actual physological effects of the drug. Whatever you give to subjects in trials, about 33% of them will claim to have a positive effect; this is why we need double blind studies to sort things out.

#97 kenj

• 747 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 09:20 PM

I'm at 1.1 gram of trans-resv/day; one gram from a 99% extract early in the morning, immediately following my morning workout. I take a little olive oil with this. Also take a cap of LEF's resveratrol (100mg) with my morning meal.
Cudos to Maxwatt, Tintinet et al for suggesting a pure extract to eliminate any possible, unfortunate, "edgy" mood effects from less pure extracts. Works.
And realy interesting to read about peoples experiences w/resveratrol.

I must say, -- ISTM, the appetite suppression is staggering...

#98 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 03:52 AM

I've gotten lab results back after having been on 2g/day for the past couple of months. Before then I was on 350 mg/day for at least 4 months, and before then I was on Longevinex, but I don't know how long (sorry, no scientific rigor here).

<table border="1">
<tr><th>Date<td>2006-06-06<td>2007-04-04<td>2007-10-02
<tr><th>Triglycerides<td>61<td>86<td>104
<tr><th>Cholesterol<td>143<td>138<td>174
<tr><th>Chol/HDL<td>3.4<td>3.5<td>4.24
<tr><th>HDL<td>42<td>39<td>41
<tr><th>LDL<td>89<td>82<td>112
<tr><th>Glucose<td>79<td>86<td>83
</table>

I'm not claiming that resveratrol raised my LDL. In the past few months I've been taking raw cocoa powder, which has 4 mg per 2 tablespoons, along with vitamin C. My iron this month came in at a high 214 ug/dL. Maybe high iron raises LDL? In any case, the action of resveratrol IMO isn't demonstrated by these numbers. One marker that might be revealing the effects of resveratrol supplementation was a very low C-reactive protein measurement of 0.33 mg/L. On the other hand, my homocysteine came in at 11.6 umol/L, not high but not very low either.

So, I'm not sure what to attribute to resveratrol. Any other markers people might think important?

Stephen

#99 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 09:43 AM

Biomarkers?

#100 liorrh

• Guest, F@H
  • 388 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 01:35 PM

is there research out there with human mega doses?

#101 resveratrol

• 340 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 03:31 PM

It seems like people are trying to get "high" of this stuff rather than take it for life-extending reasons.  Everyone is looking for an acute effect whilst not keeping their eye on the prize of ultimate longevity. 

Seeking a buzz from resv is ridiculous.

I have yet to hear anyone say they're trying to get any sort of "high" from resveratrol.

#102 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 03:40 PM

What I was offering is that if there is a blood parameter that you think resveratrol might effect, then I can check and see whether it's on the long list of things that were tested. With the possible exception of c-reactive protein, I'm tentatively concluding that resveratrol doesn't effect blood test results much.

Maybe it only works in mice. ;)

Stephen

#103 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 04:35 PM

What I was offering is that if there is a blood parameter that you think resveratrol might effect, then I can check and see whether it's on the long list of things that were tested. With the possible exception of c-reactive protein, I'm tentatively concluding that resveratrol doesn't effect blood test results much.

Maybe it only works in mice. ;)

Stephen

Or the blood tests don't measure what we are taking resveratrol for.

#104 malbecman

• 733 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 05:05 PM

With the possible exception of c-reactive protein, I'm tentatively concluding that resveratrol doesn't effect blood test results much.

Stephen

I'm right with you on that thought, Stephen. The typical battery of tests and blood parameters just arent testing the right biomarker for resveratrol's effects....

#105 craigb527

• 116 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 07:02 PM

Or the quantities of Resveratrol taken are not sufficient enough to alter biomarkers.

#106 wydell

• Topic Starter
  • 503 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 12:43 AM

Or the quantities of Resveratrol taken are not sufficient enough to alter biomarkers.

Or maybe it does not alter biomarkers and maybe it has no positive effect on humans. Who knows?
Though, ordinary stuff like pomegranate alters bio-markers in humans (or at least it is reported as such in some studies)

#107 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 12:37 AM

Just an update on my 2000 mg a day oral routine -- lately, after supplementing at this level for about 3-4 months, I've been having back pain, mostly between my shoulder blades. Often I get pain due to spending a lot of time in front of the computer during the course of the day, but the pain seems to have been made worse by 2000 mg of t-res. I stopped taking it for a few days now and the pain went away. I've decided to back down to 500 mg/day.

Stephen

#108 Alien65

• 115 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 02:45 AM

The February issue of Life Extension magazine has a good article "How much resveratrol do you need?". It looks like 200 - 500 mg might be a reasonable dose depending on your weight and goal.

Edited by Alien65, 06 January 2008 - 03:09 AM.

#109 sUper GeNius

• 1,501 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 10:50 PM

The February issue of Life Extension magazine has a good article "How much resveratrol do you need?". It looks like 200 - 500 mg might be a reasonable dose depending on your weight and goal.

Upped my dose to 2200mg last night, up from 1,200 mg. am crawling out of my skin today, thinking that the t-res isn't reacting too well with Paxil. I wonder if the Paxil metabolism is being slowed? I have some screwy enzymes to begin with I think, as I was first on Zoloft, a dose so small that the doctor said she starts children on it, and I could not tolerate it at all.

#110 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 01:47 AM

I remember the first time I took 400 mg, it was noticeable to me. Before that I had been taking 200 mg and
didn't notice anything. Now I am doing anywhere between 1 to 2 g. a day. I feel fine, but who's to say 500mg wouldn't be enough.

I am thinking that the idea is to take as much as it takes to feel a difference, and stop at that amount. Going higher is a waste
of the product and might cause unpleasant reactions. Maybe your body takes what it needs and once you feel a bad reaction, it's your bodies way of saying you are taking too much. We have to judge the appropriate amount for ourselves.

#111 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 01:53 AM

Upped my dose to 2200mg last night, up from 1,200 mg. am crawling out of my skin today, thinking that the t-res isn't reacting too well with Paxil. I wonder if the Paxil metabolism is being slowed? I have some screwy enzymes to begin with I think, as I was first on Zoloft, a dose so small that the doctor said she starts children on it, and I could not tolerate it at all.

have you read this thread yet?
It might have some answers.

#112 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 03:57 AM

How on Earth did they decide this?

#113 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 04:10 AM

They had a lot of 200 and 500 mg capsules they needed to sell.

#114 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 06:40 PM

You are assuming that they did. In the article, they survey different studies using differing amounts and looking at different results. They even mentioned some people taking over 1500 mg/day. They noted some concerns about interactions with certain drugs. (This is all from memory.) The message I took home was that the jury is still out.

Stephen

#115 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 08:18 PM

Stephen -

Don't take you C when you take your Cocoa. The cocoa that I take has some levels of iron in it. Vitamin C greatly enhances iron absorption. I am guessing this is why your Iron is high. Try separating the two and adding IP6 into your supplement mix.

#116 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 08:43 PM

They had a lot of 200 and 500 mg capsules they needed to sell.

I read that also this past weekend during my weekly trip to the bookstore (where I try to read everything of interest in every science magazine I can get a hold of... including LEF magazine which I consider part science part marketing)

I actually laughed when I read the above quote, only partly because of the dosage which to any reader of these forums seems low, mainly I laughed because of the conviction with which they stated that 200 - 500 mg is all you need... um says who, what study are they using, what scaling factors to scale up from rats to humans, what is the objective of the supplementation, etc etc etc... My conclusion was like Maxwatt that they couldn't at this time offer their members a cost effective solution at the 1000 mg + dosage range (or else, if they could, then they would have to reformulate many of their products to include higher dosages, adjust prices etc etc.). God bless the LEF for getting me started with life extension but I always read them with a grain of salt... and at present the only product I have from them are some vitamin D capsules.

Edited by edward, 07 January 2008 - 08:46 PM.

#117 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:04 PM

Stephen -

Don't take you C when you take your Cocoa. The cocoa that I take has some levels of iron in it. Vitamin C greatly enhances iron absorption. I am guessing this is why your Iron is high. Try separating the two and adding IP6 into your supplement mix.

Thanks. I've come to the same conclusion. I gave my second pint of blood in 4 months yesterday. :)

I've been taking AOR ortho-core between meals, cocoa in the morning along with 500 mg resveratrol into cod liver oil, and at night vitamin C with apolactoferrin and a probiotic.

Stephen

#118 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 04:49 PM

Just an update on my 2000 mg a day oral routine -- lately, after supplementing at this level for about 3-4 months, I've been having back pain, mostly between my shoulder blades. Often I get pain due to spending a lot of time in front of the computer during the course of the day, but the pain seems to have been made worse by 2000 mg of t-res. I stopped taking it for a few days now and the pain went away. I've decided to back down to 500 mg/day.

Stephen

Hmmm....I have 'tennis elbow' now, for the first time. Seems to be due to playing guitar obsessively. Don't know if my 5+ grams/day t-resv. has anything to do with it.

#119 TianZi

• 519 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 05:53 AM

As announced 7 January 2008, the Sirtris Phase 1b clinical study in human patients with Type 2 Diabetes was conducted using a daily dosage of 2,500-5,000 mg resveratrol (proprietary formulation) per day. That's more than anyone in this thread discussed taking. No significant adverse effects were reported.

This contradicts anecdotal accounts in this forum of joint pains, etc. caused by taking high does of resveratrol. It would be interesting to discover how many of the people reporting these symptoms would have done so if they had not first read other accounts of such side effects here. Is there any scientific basis for concluding that resveratrol consumption above a certain threshold causes joint pain? Animal studies with which I'm familiar point to the exact opposite conclusion.

One lesson learned from comparing the discussions in this thread dating back almost a year to the published results in the human study is that it is very difficult for layman to judge an appropriate dosage for resveratrol consumption. And that's not surprising.

However, it is worth noting that this study was only conducted over a 28 day period.

Edited by TianZi, 10 January 2008 - 05:54 AM.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#120 VP.

• 498 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 06:16 AM

As announced 7 January 2008, the Sirtris Phase 1b clinical study in human patients with Type 2 Diabetes was conducted using a daily dosage of 2,500-5,000 mg resveratrol (proprietary formulation) per day. That's more than anyone in this thread discussed taking. No significant adverse effects were reported.

This contradicts anecdotal accounts in this forum of joint pains, etc. caused by taking high does of resveratrol. It would be interesting to discover how many of the people reporting these symptoms would have done so if they had not first read other accounts of such side effects here. Is there any scientific basis for concluding that resveratrol consumption above a certain threshold causes joint pain? Animal studies with which I'm familiar point to the exact opposite conclusion.

One lesson learned from comparing the discussions in this thread dating back almost a year to the published results in the human study is that it is very difficult for layman to judge an appropriate dosage for resveratrol consumption. And that's not surprising.

However, it is worth noting that this study was only conducted over a 28 day period.

Actually more than a few forum members are taking 2000 mg or more a day. I've taken as much as 10-15g a day for 4 days. Now I'm down to 2 to 2.5 g a day mixed in a SRT501 type formulation. I agree about joint pain. How many people over 40 are not feeling some joint pain from time to time?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users