• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Hurricane/Typhoon Parade of 2007

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 struct

• 565 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 11:39 PM

I introduced this thread for those interested in commenting/discussing or/and posting images/videos about hurricanes/typhoons and their local or global impact as they progress.
For a start to this spectacular intense hurricane/typhoon parade let me introduce [thumb] :
Man-Yi
Posted Image

Man-Yi 'was born' today as a typhoon. As you can see from the map in its early stages of formation Man-Yi is as large as the Gulf of Mexico or about half of Australia. It's heading toward Japan. It has the potential to become as strong as Wilma, Rita or Katrina in few days. Let see!

[spectate]

Edited by struct, 11 July 2007 - 03:18 AM.

#2 struct

• Topic Starter
  • 565 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 03:41 AM

Posted Image
It is intensifying and it even has an eye. Look at its bands stretching all the way to Vietnam.
As it moves northwest on the warm waters (see map below) it will become more 'beautiful' with a cleaner eye.
Posted Image

#3 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 04:24 AM

Distracted by all the purty colors....

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 struct

• Topic Starter
  • 565 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 05:05 PM

Distracted by all the purty colors....

A picture is worth 2344435 words [lol].
Man-Yi grew to Category 3. It's headed toward Okinawa islands (Japan) where most of Japan's supercentenarians live(d). These islands get hit frequently by typhoons.
It makes me think "Maybe, just maybe, having more hurricanes and typhoons helps in living a long life"
Posted Image

#5 Liquidus

• 446 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 05:59 PM

Something like 70% of Japanese people are atheists, I sure hope they've been spending all their time developing a solution to this problem. It looks like most of Japan will avoid the huge storm though. I sure hope that hurricane has a little bit of mercy, I'd hate to see another Katrina/Tsunami episode.

#6 struct

• Topic Starter
  • 565 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:59 PM

Good morning sleepy monster!
Man-Yi woke up as Cat. 4 and it seems like it wants to be a supertyphoon.
I bet you could see this 'beauty' from the moon with a naked eye! One could even see its clean naked eye with his/her naked eye.
It's still headed toward Okinawa where many supercentenarians live. Man-Yi could mess up my 'Average Age of 100 Validated Oldest Living People ' [:o] .

Posted Image

#7 struct

• Topic Starter
  • 565 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 06:46 PM

It looks like most of Japan will avoid the huge storm though.

not according to this:

Posted Image

Check out, by zooming in and out on the map below, how densely populated are the areas where Man-yi is about to go.
Its first encounter will be with Okinawa (in southern islands of Japan).
http://maps.google.c...8&t=k&z=11&om=1

#8 struct

• Topic Starter
  • 565 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 01:09 AM

Man-yi is now a supertyphoon!! (i.e. Category 5).
The speck on its eye is Okinawa. [:o]

Posted Image

#9 struct

• Topic Starter
  • 565 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 03:39 PM

It seems that there are not that many casualties/damages caused by Man-yi if compared with Category 4-5 Hurricanes striking US. It could be partly because japanese structures are stronger whereas most of houses/apts in USA are made of paper, carton, cardboard or something like that.

This is how some japanese houses stand a Cat. 4 or 5 typhoon:
http://www.cnn.com/2...tml#cnnSTCVideo

Now look at how a house is lifted up by air in US:

#10 struct

• Topic Starter
  • 565 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 10:15 PM

Usagi, now a Cat. 1 typhoon, is expected to strengthen as it heads toward Japan. Unlike Man-yi though it looks like it's gonna hit a larger chunk of Japan.
[spectate]

Posted Image

#11 struct

• Topic Starter
  • 565 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 01:35 AM

It has become Cat. 2 and it's still headed 'as planned' toward Japan.

Posted Image

#12 struct

• Topic Starter
  • 565 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 01:22 AM

Usagi has stregthen to Cat. 4 and is continuing its trip toward Japan, somewhere between Hiroshima and Nagasaki where USA dropped some nuclear bombs few decades ago.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 Zarrka

• 226 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 01:31 AM

i hope the typhoon does not wipe out all the green tea plantations. I hear they are the reason so many super cents live there... they basically live on the stuff and eat lots of rice and they are some of the healthiest people in the world.

/sigh should give up coffee and drink more green tea again...

#14 struct

• Topic Starter
  • 565 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 01:45 AM

/sigh should give up coffee and drink more green tea again...

You better hurry before Usagi wipes out the green tea plantations! [lol]

#15 struct

• Topic Starter
  • 565 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 02:56 AM

Despite getting hit by two powerful typhoons (Man-yi and Usagi) within two weeks Japan didn't suffer much casualties/damages.

Typhoon Man-yi struck Kyushu and killed three people, injured more than 70 and flattened several houses.

[Usagi]The storm left 10 people injured, including a 42-year-old man who fell from his roof, NHK television said, but so far damage has been relatively light.

http://today.reuters...PAN-TYPHOON.xml

#16 struct

• Topic Starter
  • 565 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 03:19 PM

I find the recently formed Hurricane, Flossie, interesting.
It's big and its first encounter could be Hawaii. Hawaii rarely gets hit by hurricanes.
[spectate]

Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 03:33 PM

Why are you so fascinated with these things, struct? You a meteorologist or something? (or perhaps just an aspiring amateur meteorologist?)

#18 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 03:41 PM

By the way, anyone wanting to know more about how hurricanes operate, I was browsing over at weather.com looking for Flossie info, and saw this interactive thing telling about them:
http://www.weather.c...ssie.html?nav=4

#19 struct

• Topic Starter
  • 565 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 04:59 PM

Why are you so fascinated with these things, struct? You a meteorologist or something? (or perhaps just an aspiring amateur meteorologist?)

I haven't thought before of listing the reasons of why I like hurricanes/typhoons so much (at least for now).
To me watching cyclones progress is like watching a very good movie in slow motion but the fun part of it is that it's for real. I don't watch stports and rarely watch TV (movies, shows, etc). Cyclones are so energetic that their impact is great and worthy of paying some attention [spectate]. They may shake up things physically, economically, politically, etc. and shaking things up is a good thing to have some progress (as long as 'shaking' does not pose existential risks).
I like skimboarding and surfing and I get excited if I see some good big waves on New England shores. Hopefully some hurricanes come close to New England later this Summer/Fall/Winter.
There may be other reasons that I like to see more strong Cyclones around (I just haven't thought of wording my fascination about them).
No. I am not a meteorologist; [airquote] one needs a diploma to be a meteorologist [/airquote]. [tung]

#20 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 03:57 AM

I haven't thought before of listing the reasons of why I like hurricanes/typhoons so much (at least for now).
To me watching cyclones progress is like watching a very good movie in slow motion but the fun part of it is that it's for real. I don't watch stports and rarely watch TV (movies, shows, etc). Cyclones are so energetic that their impact is great and worthy of paying some attention [spectate]. They may shake up things physically, economically, politically, etc. and shaking things up is a good thing to have some progress (as long as 'shaking' does not pose existential risks).
I like skimboarding and surfing and I get excited if I see some good big waves on New England shores. Hopefully some hurricanes come close to New England later this Summer/Fall/Winter.
There may be other reasons that I like to see more strong Cyclones around (I just haven't thought of wording my fascination about them).
No. I am not a meteorologist; [airquote] one needs a diploma to be a meteorologist [/airquote]. [tung]

lol, I knew you needed a diploma to be a meteorologist, but I knew Mind was, so I thought maybe we had another aspiring one on our hands. I do find them interesting as well (especially this recent one since it is heading for Hawaii since my parents were just there not too long ago). Keep the interesting stuff coming. I always check this thread when you bump it with something new. [thumb]

#21 samson

• 180 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 05:49 PM

I wonder if we could have a live feed on city streets these beauties hit. You know, watch 'shake' the people up a little bit. See a little blood flying. Maybe even see a redneck or two get shred to pieces. [spectate]
Observing cyclones and other storms should really be more organised and more family entertainment oriented. Betcha we would see money flowing for researching them once people see their entertainment value.

On a brighter note, I reckon we'll be seeing more these fuckers once the climate change really kicks into high gear. Nothing like watching repenting and guilty people die, eh? [tung]
I'll be just waiting for the really big ones to start popping up. You know, windspeed beyond 100 m/s, massive damage, hundreds of thousands dead. Cities utterly ravaged and farmside completely destroyed. Maybe even a nice multiple tornado vortex to go along with it. You know, add some extra mayhem. Oh, I'm going to love see nature get even with humans. [lol]

#22 struct

• Topic Starter
  • 565 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 06:01 PM

Flossie looks cute now. She is getting ready to 'kick some ass'.
I bet surfurs in Hawaii are loving it. In a week or so we should be able to see some good ones in the Atlantic.

Posted Image

#23 struct

• Topic Starter
  • 565 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 04:19 PM

Posted Image

#24 struct

• Topic Starter
  • 565 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 07:18 PM

Quake shakes hurricane-braced Hawaii.
http://www.cnn.com/2...e.ap/index.html

Flossie was located about 200 miles south-southeast of Hilo, which experienced a magnitude-5.3 earthquake Monday evening.  Watch Flossie from space »
http://www.cnn.com/2...tml#cnnSTCVideo

#25 struct

• Topic Starter
  • 565 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 02:56 AM

There are four interesting storms rolling at the same time around this planet.
Sepat is about to become supertyphoon (Cat. 5); it's target seem to be Taiwan in few days. Flossie is about to floss the Hawaii's islands.
91l is right where the water is nice and warm. It's tough to say where is that thing headed; whereas Dean is picking up speed as it approaches Americas.

Posted Image

#26 struct

• Topic Starter
  • 565 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 01:27 AM

Supertyphoon Sepat is getting ready to turn Taiwan 'upside-down'.

Posted Image

#27 struct

• Topic Starter
  • 565 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 04:10 PM

Can Jamaica 'pray away' Hurricane Dean? [spectate]

Posted Image

#28 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 19 August 2007 - 04:28 PM

Watch the path of Dean after it hits the Yucatan, if it swings north and hits with reformed strength the Texas/Louisiana coast it will have an impact on oil production and fuel prices, especially if it stalls and builds before turning north.

However even if it only brings heavy rains that is going to be problematic for that already saturated to flood stage region.

#29 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 05:22 PM

dean passed by me the other day. didn't hit here too bad though.

#30 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 07:19 PM

Hopefully it dies somewhat in the Gulf.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users