Photo
* * * * - 4 votes

Maximizing Resveratrol Effectiveness

• Please log in to reply
1084 replies to this topic

#961 wolfeye

• 124 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:00 AM

DMSO is suppose to be a very effective solvent.
Is DMSO safe to use as a solvent?
Has anyone tried to dissolve resveratrol with DMSO?

Edited by Wolf-Eye, 24 April 2009 - 11:01 AM.

#962 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:47 AM

DMSO is suppose to be a very effective solvent.
Is DMSO safe to use as a solvent?
Has anyone tried to dissolve resveratrol with DMSO?

That was last year, in this thread. Not enough can be absorbed this way, through the skin, to raise serum levels sufficiently to be effecctive. It may permeate the skin locally with some effect. If you have the time read through this thread, or google search it for dmso and resveratrol.

Edited by maxwatt, 24 April 2009 - 11:48 AM.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#963 wolfeye

• 124 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 03:38 PM

Thanx for telling me maxwatt.

I got my first delivery of 99% trans-resveratrol yesterday. When I opened the plastic bottle a white dust rose from it and I sniffed it. Smell and taste seems very neutral. I put a little dust under my tongue and after a few seconds I could feel it going to my head... a nice energizing feeling without agitation. Today I tried to mix resveratrol with absolut vodka (40% ethanol). I mixed 5 ml vodka with 100 mg of resveratrol, added 10 ml of water and started a 20 minute buccal rinse finishing off swalling it with all the saliva - yikes! I didn't get the same sensation of resveratrol going to my head when I did the buccal rinse compared to just sticking some powder under my tongue. I reckon the alcohol solution would be more absorbable once it reaches the gastrointestinal tract, but it would not raise blood levels that much due to first-passage.

Edited by Wolf-Eye, 24 April 2009 - 03:39 PM.

#964 Hedgehog

• 462 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 03:50 PM

• Luetolin =30-60mg
  • Resveratrol Glucoside = 200mg
  • Piperine = 2-5mg
  • Resveratrol CIS/TRANS 50:50 = 300mg Trans (want big particle size)
  • HPMC = a few pinches
  • Cyclodextrin = 400mgs
  • Mix and stir in grape fruit juice (sulfanation inhibitor).....

#965 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 03:54 PM

HH:

Have you tried the Tween Resveratrol product? any thoughts on that type of formulation?

#966 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 12:36 PM

• Luetolin =30-60mg
  • Piperine = 2-5mg
  • HPMC = a few pinches
  • Cyclodextrin = 400mgs

Is this what your are currently taking? Have you measured your blood serum levels with it?

Considering that luteolin is such an effective sulfonation inhibitor, I would think the requirement for grapefruit juice is redundant; any juice or even water would do.

The main metabolic pathway for resveratrol is sulfonation; I would think the piperine is not really needed, has lttle effect. You could use freshly ground black pepper instead, though, if you didn't have any piperine lying around.

Isn't considerable stirring necessary to get the resveratrol molecules to be enveloped by the cyclodextrine molecules? I've read half an hour or more with a magnetic stirrer. In any case, your formulation is not something that could be just put in a capsule for that reason. It would go nicely in Tween80 though. Even without a surfactant, I'd think you'd get enhanced serum levels with resveratrol, polydatin and lutelin in a pill.

#967 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:34 AM

HH, I think its grand to be scientific, but Im curious about what kind of blood test results (if any) you get

#968 Hedgehog

• 462 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 12:52 AM

• Luetolin =30-60mg
  • Piperine = 2-5mg
  • HPMC = a few pinches
  • Cyclodextrin = 400mgs

Is this what your are currently taking? Have you measured your blood serum levels with it?

Considering that luteolin is such an effective sulfonation inhibitor, I would think the requirement for grapefruit juice is redundant; any juice or even water would do.

The main metabolic pathway for resveratrol is sulfonation; I would think the piperine is not really needed, has lttle effect. You could use freshly ground black pepper instead, though, if you didn't have any piperine lying around.

Isn't considerable stirring necessary to get the resveratrol molecules to be enveloped by the cyclodextrine molecules? I've read half an hour or more with a magnetic stirrer. In any case, your formulation is not something that could be just put in a capsule for that reason. It would go nicely in Tween80 though. Even without a surfactant, I'd think you'd get enhanced serum levels with resveratrol, polydatin and lutelin in a pill.

Currently I take 50:50 cis trans resveratrol, sometimes I pop a 200mg polydatin pill. Also I sometimes put a very large amount of pure resveratrol powder into my morning coffee.

My cycling endurance is currently outstanding....

#969 Hedgehog

• 462 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 12:54 AM

• Luetolin =30-60mg
  • Piperine = 2-5mg
  • HPMC = a few pinches
  • Cyclodextrin = 400mgs

Yes I have measured blood serum levels some time ago..... No I have never measured any plasma levels with tween...

#970 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:35 AM

• Luetolin =30-60mg
  • Piperine = 2-5mg
  • HPMC = a few pinches
  • Cyclodextrin = 400mgs

Currently I take 50:50 cis trans resveratrol, sometimes I pop a 200mg polydatin pill. Also I sometimes put a very large amount of pure resveratrol powder into my morning coffee.

Why 50:50 cis:trans ?

#971 Hedgehog

• 462 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 11:32 PM

• Luetolin =30-60mg
  • Piperine = 2-5mg
  • HPMC = a few pinches
  • Cyclodextrin = 400mgs

I like the emodin (spelling?) ! =)

It was something that provided to me... (Dunno maybe it helps with clogging phase I metabolism)

I still have the powder from King herbs that I use in my coffee...

#972 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:33 AM

It was something that provided to me... (Dunno maybe it helps with clogging phase I metabolism)

I bet it's something else; maybe a 50% extract. I'm not even sure that it's possible to maintain a 50/50 cis/trans resveratrol for long. Doesn't the cis isomer spontaneously convert to trans at a reasonable rate? Trans is more stable than cis, FWIW. It doesn't make sense that someone would go to the trouble to create an unnatural isomer when it doesn't even have the activity that we want.

#973 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 10:05 AM

I bet it's something else; maybe a 50% extract. I'm not even sure that it's possible to maintain a 50/50 cis/trans resveratrol for long. Doesn't the cis isomer spontaneously convert to trans at a reasonable rate? Trans is more stable than cis, FWIW. It doesn't make sense that someone would go to the trouble to create an unnatural isomer when it doesn't even have the activity that we want.

I think niner has inferred correctly that you (*hedgehog) are referring to a 50% extract of resveratrol.
Luteolin in your mix is also interesting, beyond its use as a sulfonation inhibitor to increase serum levels of resveratrol. Luteolin is one of the handful of substances that Sinclair's lab screened and found to activate sirtuins.

If you recall, a gene array comparison of resveratrol to caloric restriction (CR) found a broad overlap in activity, but significantly resveratroldid not inhibit IGF-1 expression, which is thought to be an important and necessary component of CR's life extending action. Luteolin has been shown to inhibit IGF-1, at least in vitro. - see below. I am revisiting my own use of luteolin. I had concluded that adding luteolin or quercetin to resveratrol in my case vitiated resveratrol's anti-arthritic action (the big-toe meter test.) I later found this was caused by Pomegranate juice, which I'd been drinking every morning, 8 ounces a day.

I have quite a bit of luteolin on hand as I've been supplying university labs for animal studies. What I do not know is a likely dose to use, either alone or in combination with resveratrol. hedgehog's 50 mg in his polyphenol blend might be a good starting point for experimentation.

Carcinogenesis. 2007 Mar;28(3):713-23. Epub 2006 Oct 25.
Luteolin inhibits insulin-like growth factor 1 receptor signaling in prostate cancer cells.

Fang J, Zhou Q, Shi XL, Jiang BH.
The Institute for Nutritional Sciences, Shanghai Institute for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Graduate School of Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai 200031, China. jfang@sibs.ac.cn
Insulin-like growth factor 1 receptor (IGF-1R) activation is required for prostate cell proliferation. Prostate cancer is one of the most commonly diagnosed malignant tumors in Western countries. Overexpression of IGF-1R in prostate cancer is associated with tumor growth. These suggest that IGF-1R inhibitory agents may be of preventive and/or therapeutic value. With evidence accumulating for a chemopreventive role of flavonoids, the effects of luteolin, a bioactive flavonoid, on IGF-1R signaling in prostate cancer cells were examined. Luteolin inhibited insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1) induced activation of IGF-1R and AKT in prostate cancer PC-3 and DU145 cells. Inhibition of AKT by luteolin resulted in decreased phosphorylation of its downstream targets, including p70S6K1, GSK-3beta and FKHR/FKHRL1. Luteolin also inhibited the IGF-1-induced activation of EGFR and MAPK/ERK signaling. Luteolin inhibited expression of cyclin D1 and increased expression of p21. As a result, luteolin suppressed proliferation and induced apoptosis of prostate cancer cells. Knockdown of IGF-1R by siRNA led to inhibition of proliferation of prostate cancer cells. Results of in vivo tumor growth assay indicated that luteolin inhibited PC-3 tumor growth. Immunoblotting of the extracts of tumor tissues showed that luteolin inhibited IGF-1R/AKT signaling. Our results provide a new insight into the mechanisms that luteolin is against cancer cells.

PMID: 17065200

Edited by maxwatt, 30 April 2009 - 06:21 PM.

#974 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 10:56 AM

v. interesting. i'm sold on trying the luteolin.

#975 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 02:12 PM

send me an email if you cannot PM

#976 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:21 PM

<br />

<br />send me an email if you cannot PM<br /><br /><br />

<br /><br /><br />

i can't get any msgs through on the personal controls area. drop me an email at my spam account ***. i'll reply from my real email address.

Edited by prophets, 17 November 2016 - 02:46 PM.

#977 HOTCells

• 59 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 01:09 AM

For me, I have found the the easiest way to get micronized Reveratrol and Lecithin suspended into a solution is to add them to one of those small juice drinks (I buy Orange Juice) and then shake the bottle vigorously for 10-15 seconds.. Anyone see any problems with this method? Seems too easy.

#978 wolfeye

• 124 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 02:34 PM

I'm also sold trying luteolin.
Interesting about luteolin, it seems to have anti-inflammatory effects:

Luteolin reduces IL-6 production in microglia by inhibiting JNK phosphorylation and activation of AP-1.

Luteolin, a flavonoid found in high concentrations in celery and green pepper, has been shown to reduce production of proinflammatory mediators in LPS-stimulated macrophages, fibroblasts, and intestinal epithelial cells. Because excessive production of proinflammatory cytokines by activated brain microglia can cause behavioral pathology and neurodegeneration, we sought to determine whether luteolin also regulates microglial cell production of a prototypic inflammatory cytokine, IL-6. Pretreatment of primary murine microlgia and BV-2 microglial cells with luteolin inhibited LPS-stimulated IL-6 production at both the mRNA and protein levels. To determine how luteolin inhibited IL-6 production in microglia, EMSAs were performed to establish the effects of luteolin on LPS-induced binding of transcription factors to the NF-kappaB and activator protein-1 (AP-1) sites on the IL-6 promoter. Whereas luteolin had no effect on the LPS-induced increase in NF-kappaB DNA binding activity, it markedly reduced AP-1 transcription factor binding activity. Consistent with this finding, luteolin did not inhibit LPS-induced degradation of IkappaB-alpha but inhibited JNK phosphorylation. To determine whether luteolin might have similar effects in vivo, mice were provided drinking water supplemented with luteolin for 21 days and then they were injected i.p. with LPS. Luteolin consumption reduced LPS-induced IL-6 in plasma 4 h after injection. Furthermore, luteolin decreased the induction of IL-6 mRNA by LPS in hippocampus but not in the cortex or cerebellum. Taken together, these data suggest luteolin inhibits LPS-induced IL-6 production in the brain by inhibiting the JNK signaling pathway and activation of AP-1 in microglia. Thus, luteolin may be useful for mitigating neuroinflammation.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/18490655

Edited by Wolf-Eye, 08 May 2009 - 02:51 PM.

#979 WYB

• 3 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 05:22 AM

I have been 99% trans-res (Mega-Res) dissolved in coconut oil and applied transdermally. I use 250mg dissolved in 1/2 teaspoon of coconut oil. The res seems to dissolve quite well but I have no idea if it's being absorbed adequately. Does anyone have any experience using coconut oil as a delivery system?

#980 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:51 AM

I have been 99% trans-res (Mega-Res) dissolved in coconut oil and applied transdermally. I use 250mg dissolved in 1/2 teaspoon of coconut oil. The res seems to dissolve quite well but I have no idea if it's being absorbed adequately. Does anyone have any experience using coconut oil as a delivery system?

Likely it penetrates the first few layers of the dermis with the coconut oil, and local tissue concentrations may be helpful, but you will not achieve significant systemic levels this way.

Edited by maxwatt, 18 May 2009 - 10:52 AM.

#981 goodman

• 171 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 04:22 PM

Likely it penetrates the first few layers of the dermis with the coconut oil, and local tissue concentrations may be helpful, but you will not achieve significant systemic levels this way.

sounds good for hair loss and aging skin..
how certain are you that resveratrol can pass the first layers of skin?
I'm not very well versed with skin absorbability..could it be that res is too large of a molecule to even pass the 1st few layers?

also my 2nd question: do we now have evidence that absorption through the mouth (beneath tongue) works?

#982 bsp120167

• 2 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 03:34 PM

Are Biotivia Transmax capsules good? In the forum i read about everyone mixing their res with whey or lecithin or alcohol. What about just taking a capsule? Transmax is supposed to be 250% more bioavailable. Thoughts?

#983 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 07:45 PM

250% more bioavailable...?

In comparison to what, to their 50% resveratrol product?

You know, the one that is supposed to be pure resveratrol with 500mg, of which only 250mg is trans-resveratrol?
http://www.imminst.o...o...st&p=188484

So far, there is nothing that I have seen that confirms that claimed increse in bioavailability from November 2007. (I believe it was not 250% either)
It is funny, after Hedge posted SEM images of Transmax and RevG99 here, we decided to go forward with micronized resveratrol instead of a new marketing method to deal with a slightly smaller particle size:
http://www.imminst.o...showtopic=20224

Now after the micronized resveratrol was created as a consumer product, using the public Sirtris data. A silly marketing method is used to continue to sell the product created in 2007 instead of creating a better product. Here we see the newer micronized resveratrol showing a clear advantage over non-micronized resveratrol under the electron microscope, due to more surface area:

http://store.revgene...izedimagesx.jpg

Some may note, that the SEM images of the competitors shown, come from the 2008 SEM images that Hedge released.

(no, i am not a hater...I am seeing if anyone has more than just marketing to back up the statements...)

A

Edited by Anthony_Loera, 30 May 2009 - 08:35 PM.

#984 bsp120167

• 2 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 11:21 AM

250% more bioavailable...?

In comparison to what, to their 50% resveratrol product?

You know, the one that is supposed to be pure resveratrol with 500mg, of which only 250mg is trans-resveratrol?
http://www.imminst.o...o...st&p=188484 [...]

Now after the micronized resveratrol was created as a consumer product, using the public Sirtris data. A silly marketing method is used to continue to sell the product created in 2007 instead of creating a better product.

Interesting. I am more interested in seeing if just taking a capsule is a good means of delivery or is it better to mix the res with something?

Edited by Michael, 27 July 2009 - 01:02 PM.
Trim quotes

#985 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 08:41 PM

Interesting. I am more interested in seeing if just taking a capsule is a good means of delivery or is it better to mix the res with something?

Please read this thread, and the charts in Sirtris patent application.
You will see an increase in absorption using micronized resveratrol with HPMC/DOSS and tween 80.

Cheers
A

#986 immortality101

• 10 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 June 2009 - 01:00 AM

Please read this thread, and the charts in Sirtris patent application.
You will see an increase in absorption using micronized resveratrol with HPMC/DOSS and tween 80.

Cheers
A

I am completely serious when I say this. Has anyone tried it through the rectum. I see some people saying they've tried it sublingual. I'd love to hear about some blood tests afterwards.

#987 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 03:19 AM

I'm not very well versed with skin absorbability..could it be that res is too large of a molecule to even pass the 1st few layers?

Resveratrol's transdermal flux has been measured, and it is very low. The problem is not the size of the molecule, resveratrol being fairly small, but the hydrophilicity of it. Small hydrophobic molecules are likely to be reasonable (though not assured) candidates for transdermal delivery, but hydrophiles are not.

Can you even get resveratrol dissolved in coconut oil? In other words, do you get a clear solution? If it's pasty looking, then it isn't dissolved. My experience dissolving resveratrol in very hydrophobic solvents has been poor.

#988 goodman

• 171 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 01:05 PM

Resveratrol's transdermal flux has been measured, and it is very low. The problem is not the size of the molecule, resveratrol being fairly small, but the hydrophilicity of it. Small hydrophobic molecules are likely to be reasonable (though not assured) candidates for transdermal delivery, but hydrophiles are not.

Can you even get resveratrol dissolved in coconut oil? In other words, do you get a clear solution? If it's pasty looking, then it isn't dissolved. My experience dissolving resveratrol in very hydrophobic solvents has been poor.

when I stir res into my coconut lotion it just turns brown but the consistency remains the same..
might it be that the resveratrol could help the upper skin layer cells, even if its not going into the bloodstream? because thats what I'm looking for

thanks!

#989 tom_is_tom

• 2 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 11:36 AM

I've read most of this forum please help. What is the most efficient and effective way of taking resveratrol?

w/ lecithin, PEG3350. Everclear, vodka, Tween 20-80?

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#990 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 12:21 PM

I've read most of this forum please help. What is the most efficient and effective way of taking resveratrol?

w/ lecithin, PEG3350. Everclear, vodka, Tween 20-80?

Jack Daniels is the most fun. :)

The answer depends to some extent on your preferences and on convenience.

lecithin and PEG3350 (Miralax) do work, though it takes a lot of mixing. HPMC is another surfactant that works, but needs 40 minutes of stirring. Lecithin can be messy. Alcohol works, if you like drinking alcohol but I believe it is better to take resveratrol in the morning, and I don't drink with breakfast.

Tween80 can be bought pre-mixed in a pill. It is reported to be more effective at a given dose, though if this is cost effective depends on your source of resveratrol: taking more of powder probably has the same effect at any reasonable dose. There is an upper limit to the amount of Tween80 one should take, but unless one is really megadosing resveratrol (perhaps over a gram and a half) this should not be an issue.

What I don't think is as effective is a powder in a capsule. Perhaps it clumps in the stomach and passes through the system unabsorbed, but I find taking an uncapped powder works better for me. There is also a cost advantage to buying powder, though you might want to buy a scale to weigh it accurately. I've been taking a 98 or 99% powder and just putting it in my mouth, under my tongue or in my cheek, and drinking a little water, letting the powder slowly dissipate. It should be tasteless. A low-quality resveratrol, even though pure, may have a large particle size and enough anthocyanins to have a bitter taste. Most 98 and 99% resveratrols I've seen have a sufficiently fine particle size to work with this method, even if they are not technically micronized.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users