• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo

"The Singularity is Near" Movie

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#31 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 03:53 AM

I can't wait until it comes out! Hopefully it will become good publicity for the singularity.

#32 Aegist

• Guest Shane
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 04:02 AM

Nice. Can't wait.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#33 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 01:31 PM

Someone post it to google video ;)

#34 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 06:50 PM

Someone post it to google video ;)

Still got awhile (a few months) till it comes out.

#35 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 08:21 PM

hah... tony robbins is going to be in this movie? That's new to me. Gonna be very interesting...

#36 JediMasterLucia

• 708 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 12:18 PM

Nice. Can't wait.
I like good science fiction movies :thumb:

#37 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 07:16 PM

Nice. Can't wait.
I like good science fiction movies :thumb:

I only hope that this one does fit the "good science fiction movie" category. It's amazing how low budgets can ruin a potentially great movie...

#38 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 07:31 PM

yeah this is not going to be a science fiction movie, and hardly be as popular as I,Robot--but I'll try to get a bunch of people here in Austin to go to the opening, nonetheless .... I'm worried that since they are focusing so much on Kurzweil that it will be discounted as outlandish...but we'll see ;)

#39 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 08:16 PM

It's amazing how low budgets can ruin a potentially great movie...

It's rare for money to make much of a difference in the quality of a flick. Throwing money at trash still leaves trash.

#40 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 01:39 AM

It's amazing how low budgets can ruin a potentially great movie...

It's rare for money to make much of a difference in the quality of a flick. Throwing money at trash still leaves trash.

Yes. But not giving money to a potentially good movie is very likely to create trash too.

#41 MichaelAnissimov

• 905 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 01:23 PM

Hi all. This movie has been pushed back to late 2008. The B line (narrative part) is currently being filmed.

I'm pleased the movie apparently will focus a good deal on the risk part. It will be interesting to see how they make the self-replicating nanobots thing plausible. Dr. Rothblatt is pretty solid on MNT issues so I doubt it will be outlandish or unrealistic.

Life extension = x-risk prevention! But you knew I was going to say that.

Edited by MichaelAnissimov, 11 December 2007 - 01:29 PM.

#42 mentatpsi

• 904 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 09:03 AM

;) Yes!

• Lurker

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:01 PM

The story could be cool, but I don't know how 'dramatic' it will be, since the cast is about 20 scientists, all playing themselves in the movie and one actress playing the avatar. Why didn't he just make a movie about what he sees as the most likely scenario to bring about the singularity? The tagline "A true story about the future" worries me a little, too. If there is one thing that the general public finds rediculous, it's nanobots. It kind of sucks, but I think you have to really dumb-down your explanation of the singularity to the general public because most of them find even presently-existing technologies to be 'magical' and incomprehensible.
We'll have to wait to see how it turns out, it could be really good or really bad : )

#44 Arie

• 22 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 12:38 PM

Anybody interested in this one?

Transcendant Man

#45 ntenhue

• Guest, F@H
  • 51 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 03:09 PM

Any ideas when or where i can see the movie?

#46 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 05:24 PM

Wow Singularity Is Near (film) and Transcendent Man (documentary) both look awesome!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1049412/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1117394/

From the links above they both seem to be in production and will most likely finish by the end of the summer.
I'm also very impressed that Aubrey de Grey and Marvin Minsky will also be starring in both films!

#47 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 08:24 PM

I hope the public acceptance goes well on both...

#48 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 09:09 PM

I'm looking forward to see it..........

#49 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,044 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:20 PM

Details on "Transcendant Man" at IMDB

Wikipedia entry

Homepage with trailer.

I thought someone else posted the details somewhere else in the forums but for the life of me I cannot find it. Opening in a theatre near you on March 27th. Even though I pretty much know the entire scoop behind Kurzweil and his predictions, I would still like to go see the film. Don't know if it will be playing near my hometown. Sometimes documentaries don't get wide release.

#50 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 12:24 AM

Details on "Transcendant Man" at IMDB

Wikipedia entry

Homepage with trailer.

I thought someone else posted the details somewhere else in the forums but for the life of me I cannot find it. Opening in a theatre near you on March 27th. Even though I pretty much know the entire scoop behind Kurzweil and his predictions, I would still like to go see the film. Don't know if it will be playing near my hometown. Sometimes documentaries don't get wide release.

Since this is a US only release, will it be available on DVD?

#51 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 03:18 AM

I'm eager to see what is going to be the public's reception of "The Transcendant Man" and especially of the "The Singularity is Near" movie.

#52 Mind

• 19,044 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 03:57 PM

It appears now from Kurzweil's mailing list that the release date is APRIL 25th at the Tribeca Film Festival.

#53 williamhessian

• 86 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 05:10 AM

It appears now from Kurzweil's mailing list that the release date is APRIL 25th at the Tribeca Film Festival.

awesome i cant wait to see this!

#54 JMorgan

• 645 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 08:29 AM

Yes, "Transcendent Man" will be shown on April 25th, as well as the 26th, 28th and May 1st as part of the Tribeca Film Festival. Specific details can be found on the film's website.

I will be helping to promote the film and so when I found out any details that I can share here (including some of the guests who've expressed interest in attending), I will be sure to provide updates. I can say that some executives from HBO, Discovery and Bravo may attend as well, among others.

#55 Mariusz

• 164 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 01:39 PM

I will be helping to promote the film and so when I found out any details that I can share here (including some of the guests who've expressed interest in attending), I will be sure to provide updates. I can say that some executives from HBO, Discovery and Bravo may attend as well, among others.

Funny thing about ths film, is that it promotes technology, but they didn't use technology that's quite old - the Internet - to let people watch that movie.

Mariusz

#56 Mind

• 19,044 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 02:51 PM

I see "The Singularity is Near" website now says late 2009 for release. And IMDB says the movie is in post-production.

#57 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 04:49 PM

I hope that the true singularity doesn't have these prediction delays.

#58 Mind

• 19,044 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 11:39 PM

Since someone mentioned Avatar in this thread, though I would share this article. It sounds pretty awesome. Hope it isn't all hype and no substance.

Fan Fever Is Rising for Debut of ‘Avatar’

Only a few weeks ago, Joshua Quittner, a technology writer for Time magazine, fed the frenzy when he reported feeling a strange yearning to return to the movie’s mythical planet, Pandora, the morning after he was shown just 15 minutes of the film. Mr. Cameron, Mr. Quittner wrote, theorized that the movie’s 3-D action had set off actual “memory creation.”

Questioned by telephone recently at his home in Mill Valley, Calif., Mr. Quittner said he was still reeling from the experience.

“It was like doing some kind of drug,” he said, describing a scene in which the movie’s hero, played by Sam Worthington, ran around “with this kind of hot alien chick,” was attacked by jaguarlike creatures and was sprinkled with sprites that floated down, like snowflakes.

#59 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 03:40 AM

Since someone mentioned Avatar in this thread, though I would share this article. It sounds pretty awesome. Hope it isn't all hype and no substance.

Fan Fever Is Rising for Debut of ‘Avatar’

Only a few weeks ago, Joshua Quittner, a technology writer for Time magazine, fed the frenzy when he reported feeling a strange yearning to return to the movie’s mythical planet, Pandora, the morning after he was shown just 15 minutes of the film. Mr. Cameron, Mr. Quittner wrote, theorized that the movie’s 3-D action had set off actual “memory creation.”

Questioned by telephone recently at his home in Mill Valley, Calif., Mr. Quittner said he was still reeling from the experience.

“It was like doing some kind of drug,” he said, describing a scene in which the movie’s hero, played by Sam Worthington, ran around “with this kind of hot alien chick,” was attacked by jaguarlike creatures and was sprinkled with sprites that floated down, like snowflakes.

Hype aside, this still looks like its going to be an awesome movie. I hope too it's not all hype; i'm really looking forward to it.

Edited by forever freedom, 05 May 2009 - 03:40 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#60 Mind

• 19,044 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:51 PM

Watch the AVATAR trailer here: http://www.apple.com.../fox/avatar/hd/

I don't know about anyone else but I am started to get impatient with all the delays with release dates. I haven't seen "Transcendent Man" released anywhere yet. Anyone heard anything about "Singularity is Near"? Plus there is the Bruce Willis, transhuman themed movie...can't remember the name.

You would think with the Singularity and transhuman topics making more headlines recently, hollywood would be beating down the door to get these things out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users