• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo

"The Singularity is Near" Movie

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#61 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 09:06 PM

The trailer looks nice, but i'd love to see it on 3D.

#62 Shoe

• Guest, F@H
  • 135 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:36 AM

Watch the AVATAR trailer here: http://www.apple.com.../fox/avatar/hd/

Reminds me a lot of Time Machine (with Guy Pearce). That's definitely not a good thing.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#63 JediMasterLucia

• 708 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 03:11 PM

The trailer of avatar is nice. I like the alien landscapes

#64 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,044 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 05:06 PM

I see on the movie website, it says "coming in late 2009". Anyone heard about a release date yet? Terasem is hitting the media angle hard this year with "Singularity is Near" and "2B". Cultural changes are usually driven through "art". Here's hoping more people start joining and donating to life extension causes.

Also, since we are on the topic, has anyone seen Surrogates yet?

#65 valkyrie_ice

• 837 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 01:55 AM

I see on the movie website, it says "coming in late 2009". Anyone heard about a release date yet? Terasem is hitting the media angle hard this year with "Singularity is Near" and "2B". Cultural changes are usually driven through "art". Here's hoping more people start joining and donating to life extension causes.

Also, since we are on the topic, has anyone seen Surrogates yet?

Part of it, and read a bit about it. Even commented about it in the H+ article comments.

Since you know I am a strong believer in the right to change your body however you wish, I was hoping for a movie that was less dystopian than Surrogates seems to be, with the positives of conforming your body to your self image being shown in a better light, where it seems Surrogates is anti-transhuman in this regard. The clips I saw seemed very against the idea of self change, and accepting of people for who they WANTED to be as opposed to who they were stuck being due to an accident of genetics. One line from the clip I saw had Bruce Willis telling a woman "I have no clue who you are lady, for all I know you could be a fat dude sitting in a chair with your dick hanging out!" which I am sure you can see I found extremely discouraging from the perspective of being a trans-sexual.

Still given the robot model shown recently in Japan, who knows, maybe in 2015 we will indeed have surrogates, but I think at best they will be merely a temporary step between current human and transhuman, because they will fuel the desire to actually become your idealized self.

Now, back to topic, I am eagerly awaiting both Kurzweil movies that were supposedly due this year. I hope they are released soon.

#66 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,044 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 06:46 PM

Transcendent man to be screened in the documentary category at the AFI Fest.

Still waiting for it to arrive in theatres.

#67 thestuffjunky

• 94 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 07:18 PM

mind, a bruce willis movie i am thinking of is 'surrogates'

#68 Cameron

• 167 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 05:31 PM

I found surrogates to be entertaining, even if I didn't like the tone the movie took with regards to the use of avatar-like robots. I also found it a bit ridiculous that given the technology to feed the nervous system, one would use physical robots rather than virtual avatars. It is so inefficient in terms of energy-use[using vehicles to move robots around, lol.], and virtual avatars are far more versatile and could be far more realistic[They could also have more sensory input and be far cheaper].

#69 ben951

• 111 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 01:31 PM

One line from the clip I saw had Bruce Willis telling a woman "I have no clue who you are lady, for all I know you could be a fat dude sitting in a chair with your dick hanging out!" which I am sure you can see I found extremely discouraging from the perspective of being a trans-sexual.

Did you see the movie:"Gamer" ?

A guy is controlling a woman and off course he's the most disgusting perverted fat guy you could think off.

Looks like Hollywood have a problem with the idea of people stuck in the wrong body gender.
(I must admit it took me a while to really understand it too)

In "Gamer" the plot is even more stupid then in Surrogates since instead of controlling robots that live in the real world, they're controlling real human by hacking their brains, probably because they can't find any plot with people controlling avatar in VR like it's supposed to be.

#70 Gedusa

• 6 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 08:46 PM

*Resurrects thread*
Has anyone seen or heard ANYTHING about the movie yet, it's supposed to have premiered at a film festival by now and yet I can find precisely zero mention of it anywhere. Surely it can't have been so bad to have warranted no comment.
Weird.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#71 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 10:03 PM

I've been waiting forever for this movie. Now i see on IMDB that The Singularity is Near is going to be released 30 January 2011. I hope the Singularity itself won't be as delayed as this movie is.

I hope the movie won't disappoint, to make it worth all this waiting.

Edited by forever freedom, 20 September 2010 - 10:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users