• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Ron Paul on Forign Policy

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#31 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 03:23 AM

niner: yuor claim is now that its morally acceptable to pull out. you use hong kong as an example. The reason why that example is flawed is because it was a contract agreement between england and China, and if you have noticed in that situation, things in hong kong have become rather bad since england left.

Yeah, I knew it wasn't the best analog in the world, but my impression was that it hasn't really gotten much worse. I used to work with a guy from HK, and he didn't think it was bad, but I haven't talked to him lately and I'm not an authority on it myself.

Regarding Taiwan, I think that the morality of our action would hinge on exactly what was promised to the Taiwanese, what if anything the "statute of limitations" should be on such treaty obligations, and what the consequences of a pullout would be. The consequences would likely depend on exactly how we withdrew, and what our relationship with the PRC was at the time. I don't know what the wording of the original agreement was, but a half century is pretty close to "forever" as these sorts of things go. Given that and my belief that little if any harm would come to the Taiwanese if the PRC reestablished control, my uppercase snap judgement was that it was morally hunky-dory.

#32 Zarrka

• Topic Starter
  • 226 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 03:25 AM

simpler then Iraq, maybe i should have said.

simple in the sense that we do know what would happen if the US withdrew. we have a fairly certian action - consequence pattern that is KNOWN unlike Iraq. thats all.

mike250, im not trying to say that Taiwan can be used a s a bench mark for dealing with Iraq, what it can do though is get people thinking about what America is morally acountable for and what they are not morally acountable for. that was my point when i started this thread.

#33 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 August 2007 - 03:28 AM

Regarding Taiwan, I think that the morality of our action would hinge on exactly what was promised to the Taiwanese, what if anything the "statute of limitations" should be on such treaty obligations, and what the consequences of a pullout would be.

There is morality in geo-politics?! [lol]

This thread is amusing me more and more.

Does anyone here have even the foggiest clue as to the geo-strategic significance of Taiwan? [wis]

sponsored ad

• Advert

#34 struct

• 565 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 03:41 AM

talking about Taiwan!?
It's gonna get hit by typhoon Pabuk in a day or so!

Posted Image

edit: strategic Taiwan is between China, Philipines, and Japan. It's right in front of China's 'face' (blocking it from Pacific).

Edited by struct, 07 August 2007 - 03:58 AM.

#35 lucid

• 1,195 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 03:43 AM

Ron Paul also points out that we are in a good position: The us is a large country surrounded by weak and friendly neighbors (Mexico and Canada)

LAWL [lol]

Canadian invention of UN peacekeeping http://www.unac.org/...eacekeeping.asp

Gov't Info http://www.vac-acc.g...urces/peacefact

Past peacekeeping missions, not current (for teh weak and friendly) http://www.forces.gc...rrent_ops_e.asp

Does Ron Paul really judge a country's strengths merely by it's military might? Maybe the quote is out of context

You missed the point. The point is not that Canada and mexico are saints or that they don't have an army. Perhaps this will put this into context:
US military spending in 2005: 420 Billion Dollars
CA military spending in 2005: 10 Billion Dollars
MX military spending in 2005: 2.8 Billion Dollars
Proof that they are weak comparatively. And I think we all know that they don't want to invade the US. Point being, compared to lets say Taiwan's position, the US is next to weak and friendly neighbors. And we have 2 huge oceans between us and possibly mean and powerful nations.

#36 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 03:46 AM

I don't think saying what the US should do in every single instance individually is what I am looking for in a presidential candidate anyway. As far as foreign policy with the military is concerned (which, by the way, is only one of the issues I will base my vote on, there are tons of domestic issues and foreign issues not having to do with the military that I will be basing my vote on as well) I think that having a person's overall thought process is more important. Do they want to expand American influence (like George Bush) or do they want to decrease American influence around the world militarily?

I'll take the latter of the two every day of the week. Specific cases are complicated, and can be decided on a case by case basis, but an overall decrease in our military presence around the world is preferable to the alternative.

#37 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 05:48 AM

(technosophy)

The real question that needs to be asked is why do these three desparate groups need to be held together as one country?

Of course not. By all logic they should be divided at least into semi-autonomous regions. But they won't be. At least not until after a lot more people die.

The point is they have their deep seated religious hatred, and it isn't going away any time soon.

#38 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 05:57 AM

AND, IF THEY DO GO, AND THEN THOSE CONTIRES THEY SAID THEY WERE GOING TO PROTECT GET TAKEN OVER, CAN THE US BE HELD MORALLY ACCOUNTABLE???

The US is not morally accountable unless taiwan is willing to become a part of the US. We can certainly work out a deal with china to a hand over at least as favorable as the hong kong deal. If they Taiwanese wish to fight anyway, it's their funeral.

#39 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 05:59 AM

I absolutly agree that it SHOULD be the UN. but the UN is ahrdly a real armed force. get the US out and get a real UN army in. sure. i really do like that plan.

The UN has absolutely no moral authority over the world. The UN shouldn't be anything other than a convenient place for nations to talk and work out their differences. Having an overarching world authority is much worse than having a overly bloated federal government that controls all state's internal affairs, which is terrible.

#40 mike250

• 981 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 06:25 AM

(technosophy)

Of course not.  By all logic they should be divided at least into semi-autonomous regions.  But they won't be.  At least not until after a lot more people die.

The point is they have their deep seated religious hatred, and it isn't going away any time soon.

not to mention the political opportunities too.

#41 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 07:07 AM

Back on the ethical topic, who made the promises and who must continue to carry them out? It was once said that only an individual can be held responsible. I guess I'm not helping to answer the question, but there's a lot to it. What ethical basis should our answer concur with? Utilitarianism, Kant?

#42 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 07:28 AM

The UN has absolutely no moral authority over the world.  The UN shouldn't be anything other than a convenient place for nations to talk and work out their differences.  Having an overarching world authority is much worse than having a overly bloated federal government that controls all state's internal affairs, which is terrible.

You have to have some type of multinational peacekeeping force, though, for some situations around the world that flare up from time to time.

#43 mike250

• 981 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 08:01 AM

I think this is up to the people to decide. The UN and the multi-national forces have already been targeted before and I think the people see them just in the same way they see the US army.

#44 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 08:05 AM

The UN has absolutely no moral authority over the world.  The UN shouldn't be anything other than a convenient place for nations to talk and work out their differences.  Having an overarching world authority is much worse than having a overly bloated federal government that controls all state's internal affairs, which is terrible.

You have to have some type of multinational peacekeeping force, though, for some situations around the world that flare up from time to time.

yes, and it should be out of nations that have a vested interest, rather than some body bent on imposing it's own twisted morality for nothing other than it's own "good" intentions.

If history teaches us one thing, it's imposing one's own morality on another group is the surest path to oppresion. Just who the hell are we to say how someone else on the other side of the world should live their lives, and who the hell are we to prop up one government arbitrarily over another? I know our country is largely driven by the same religious motivations our "enemies" are driven by. The only difference is they have no need of suicide bombers, and guerrila warfare, as they have the most powerful military in the world to do their bidding.

We are currently leading by example, and it's a terrible example.

#45 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 08:09 AM

I think this is up to the people to decide. The UN and the multi-national forces have already been targeted before and I think the people see them just in the same way they see the US army.

True, although from the perspective of the American people (who would be the ones doing the withdrawing), it is a better situation for groups of people to be mad at a hodgepodge multinational force entity than at the United States specifically.

#46 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 08:11 AM

yes, and it should be out of nations that have a vested interest, rather than some body bent on imposing it's own twisted morality for nothing other than it's own "good" intentions.

If history teaches us one thing, it's imposing one's own morality on another group is the surest path to oppresion. Just who the hell are we to say how someone else on the other side of the world should live their lives, and who the hell are we to prop up one government arbitrarily over another? I know our country is largely driven by the same religious motivations our "enemies" are driven by. The only difference is they have no need of suicide bombers, and guerrila warfare, as they have the most powerful military in the world to do their bidding.

We are currently leading by example, and it's a terrible example.

I agree whole heartedly, of course.

#47 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 10:15 AM

Ron Paul also points out that we are in a good position: The us is a large country surrounded by weak and friendly neighbors (Mexico and Canada)

LAWL [lol]

Canadian invention of UN peacekeeping http://www.unac.org/...eacekeeping.asp

Gov't Info http://www.vac-acc.g...urces/peacefact

Past peacekeeping missions, not current (for teh weak and friendly) http://www.forces.gc...rrent_ops_e.asp

Does Ron Paul really judge a country's strengths merely by it's military might? Maybe the quote is out of context

You missed the point. The point is not that Canada and mexico are saints or that they don't have an army. Perhaps this will put this into context:
US military spending in 2005: 420 Billion Dollars
CA military spending in 2005: 10 Billion Dollars
MX military spending in 2005: 2.8 Billion Dollars
Proof that they are weak comparatively. And I think we all know that they don't want to invade the US. Point being, compared to lets say Taiwan's position, the US is next to weak and friendly neighbors. And we have 2 huge oceans between us and possibly mean and powerful nations.

I didn't miss the point as much as I wanted to drill that home. The US begins huge, lengthy campaigns for their own gains and certain parties may actually view themselves as the 'world police', when in reality they aren't really in the running for the title. I understand you are not speaking of anything moral, but I find that a hard factor to ignore. Thank you however, for putting that into some sort of further context. I read up on this Ron Paul character and all I can say is 'good luck'. He has his head screwed on about a few issues, but mostly he seems pretty backwards.

#48 Zarrka

• Topic Starter
  • 226 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 11:27 AM

Ok.

If you guys were all in my philosophy class, id give you all 0, for not reading the question.

except:

niner, you'd get 20% for at least stating an opinion, although you didnt really back it up,

and elrond for again, at least stating an opinion, but again, blatant statements with no argument do not give you more then 20% either.

Struct, you'd get 50% for at least mentioning Taiwan and some kind of danger in the same post, but if you argued that the US soldiers should get out of Taiwan or they will get killed by said typhoon, then i could push your mark up to about 70%.

Then again, i should of expected this, given I'm trying to discuss moral accountability.

Going to try and restart this thread as a moral issue in the morals section.

#49 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 August 2007 - 04:19 PM

F stands for FAILURE!

50 lashes with a wet noodle for everyone! :))

#50 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 07:08 PM

lol @ catichka. I am glad I am not in your class then. :))

(Besides the fact I answered your question yes in several instances and no in several other instances. It is more nuanced of a question than a blanket "yes" in all cases or "no" in all cases, which is why most of us have a more nuanced answer. I know that you wanted a cut and dry answer for all situations, but it just isn't the case)

#51 struct

• 565 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 08:49 PM

ha ha! you got 0!

Posted Image

#52 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 09:16 PM

ha ha!  you got 0!

Posted Image

[cry]

#53 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 10:13 PM

If you guys were all in my philosophy class, id give you all 0, for not reading the question.

Going to try and restart this thread as a moral issue in the morals section.

catichka, I know you're interested in this particular case, but wouldn't you say that this issue can be boiled down to who is responsible for bearing the burden of promises made by the leaders of nation-states and who is responsible if and when those entities fail to follow through on those promises?

Also if the promise was made by a leader who showed a less than acceptable track record keeping his/her personal promises (for instance campaign pledges) should the populace nonetheless be held to a higher standard to continue to fulfill an obligation assumed in perpetuity on their behalf more often than not by someone who is either no longer in office or even alive? My answer is that if the responsible group of people (in the United States I would split this between the majority of the populace and the delegates in the house and senate) are no longer interested in achieving the purpose supposedly obtained by continuing to keep the pledge, they should feel no obligation to. Perhaps many of the problems of the world are caused by focusing so much on who are our better friends and who we have a cooler relationship with.

Posted Image

Now many Americans viscerally hated Saddam and there was a great feeling of satisfaction in eliminating him from power. However I feel that as a nation we have learned a lesson about why simply blasting tyrants from office is not always the wisest option in seeking to make the world a better place. Sometimes building a stronger society where individual liberty, transparency and the resultant honesty are held in highest regard would likely do more good in the long run. Polarizing invective such as the label "Axis of Evil" is extremely harmful although some would say it did prove effective in the case of Libya. I find the situation with Iran absurd. I'm not sure what really is accomplished by using saber rattling to try and prevent them from becoming a nuclear power. They would not be the first Islamic nuclear power, as far as I am aware they don't have grand territorial aspirations (correct me if I am misled) and there is a strong base of younger people who are discontented with the extremism of the government who could be enticed to adopt Westernization if we don't actively antagonize their country and play into the stereotypes promulgated by leaders from both sides.

Sorry, I can't seem to stay on topic for more than a paragraph. BTW, does anyone know of any sites devoted to the issue of the ethical obligations of nations?

#54 Zarrka

• Topic Starter
  • 226 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 11:10 PM

thank you luna for rolling out a nice answer to the question. what you have said is certianlly a basis for debate.

liveforever, you were not really answering the question, i was not looking for a cut and dry responce, more of a discussion on where moral accontability would lie. What you said was that we should discuss methods of pull out, that you didnt really care how each individual presedential candidate would deal with each situation (well its not what you were loooking for in a PC), theres more to Ron Paul, you couldent see him pulling everyone out overnight, you embellished on the analogy with out really stating a responce to it but concluding that the UN should probably take over.

now this can give a basis for a discussion - the UN should take over, but what if they cant? currently, they really have no armed force to speak of. Im interested in knowing what people would think if the US left then Taiwan was taken over, DESPITE how they withdrew etc - if their withdrawal plan of letting the UN take over (its not a plan i have heard anywhere but on this forum, but say they went with that) didnt work, then where would moral accontability lie?

you can say its not a moral issue, just a very tenuious political situation that does not have moral ramifications. But i like the way luna has put it:

"wouldn't you say that this issue can be boiled down to who is responsible for bearing the burden of promises made by the leaders of nation-states and who is responsible if and when those entities fail to follow through on those promises?"

thats exacly right. that is what i want to discuss. I do not have an answer, its why i posed it as a question, i do not even have a hard opinion on it, but i do think, especially in this day and age that its important we ask these questions.

So, who or who is not responsible for these promises and the need for protection in Taiwan (as a case example)? and why?

#55 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 11:51 PM

liveforever, you were not really answering the question

I tried to. I apologize if it was not the response you were looking for. I assume that you want ones more that you agree with (the way you phrased the question shows that your mind was pre-made up on the answer you wanted), but I just did not agree with what you were wanting the answer to be.

i was not looking for a cut and dry responce, more of a discussion on where moral accontability would lie.

And, as I have tried to say a few different ways because you keep asking but not taking my answer as one you want to hear is that some moral accountability (again, not all) lies with the US, but the moral accountability is to what follows their withdrawal as much as if they should withdraw or not. I think you are confusing where the moral accountability ends. You do not want any discussion of what happens afterward, but only if they should withdraw or not. I think that you can see in mine (and others) positions, that what happens afterwards can not be separated from the decision to withdraw or not. They are fused together, and even though you don't want us to answer about what happens after the decision to withdraw takes place, it is fundamental (in my mind at least) to the very choice of whether or not to withdraw. If there is no stable system (we keep saying UN, but it would be NATO or some new organization doing the peacekeeping) then the decision on whether or not to withdraw would be a different one. Therefore, no matter what kind of an answer you want people to give to your question, there are other considerations that influence that answer.

If you want a certain just "yes" or "no" answer, or a conversation just about what you want us to discuss (since you are obviously frustrated we didn't talk about what you wanted us to), then you have to set up the question with the appropriate preconditions. For instance, "Given that NATO forces will come take over in Taiwan when American forces withdraw, then is the US morally responsible for what happens afterwards", or alternatively "Given that there will be no one to take over when they leave, is the US morally responsible for what happens when they leave". You can't ask us to make a decision before we know what preconditions you are thinking of. If you do that, we will necessarily fill in and discuss our own preconditions and you can not fault us for doing so, because our answer to your question is predicated on those very preconditions.

Oh gosh, I am going to have to take these next ones point by point cause there are a lot of them. I apologize, but I can't allow for the mischaracterization of my views:

What you said was that we should discuss methods of pull out,

Yes, because as I stated in my previous answer, the method (or at least the overall implementation) is central to the moral responsibility issue. If you want us to only discuss the moral responsibility, then you have to pre-suppose for us the situation we are to analyze. The method of implementation directly correlates to the morality question.

that you didnt really care how each individual presedential candidate would deal with each situation (well its not what you were loooking for in a PC),

No, I said it was only one of many issues I was looking at. I think everyone would say that. There are a myriad of issues, and international troop withdrawals is only one of many. (there are lots of economic concerns, abortion rights, gun rights, trading rights, border security, science funding, etc. etc. etc. I could go on and on and on with issues)

theres more to Ron Paul,

There is much more to Ron Paul than the one issue. He has tons of issues. (not to mention that the way that his views were characterized weren't even his views at all; His overall approach has been articulated, but saying that will mean he supports one way or another for specific instances such as Taiwan is disingenuous)

you couldent see him pulling everyone out overnight,

Very true. I don't think anyone would pull out overnight. Besides the moral component, it is just technically not feasible.

you embellished on the analogy with out really stating a responce to it but concluding that the UN should probably take over.

I don't know what I embellished upon. (I would be grateful if you pointed it out) I don't necessarily think the UN specifically should take over (as I have stated previously) just that it should be an international force, and not the US specifically as it is now. I can reiterate my reasons yet again for this if you would like, but I fear it would begin to sound like a broken record, lol. (albeit one that has not been heard yet :)))

now this can give a basis for a discussion - the UN should take over, but what if they cant?

Aaah, so finally we are getting more of a clear question. You are just begging us to give you your predetermined answer, aren't you? lol :))

currently, they really have no armed force to speak of.

Well, NATO's sole purpose is military application, and has been applied in quite a lot of places throughout the world. Whether it is specifically the UN or some other league or conglomeration of nations or whatever else is irrelevant, as the task of peacekeeping is better suited to a multinational force than to a single nation in most instances. (all the instances that have been brought up in this thread, certainly)

Im interested in knowing what people would think if the US left then Taiwan was taken over, DESPITE how they withdrew etc - if their withdrawal plan of letting the UN take over (its not a plan i have heard anywhere but on this forum, but say they went with that) didnt work, then where would moral accontability lie?

Aaah, ok. That is how you should have phrased the question in the beginning if you wanted a specific answer. So, you are asking, in the specific case of Taiwan (no where else), if the US withdrew, and the way that the US withdrew was to allow no other type of peacekeeping force (or at least no effective peacekeeping force), and this was done with the complete foreknowledge that their actions would lead to a takeover of Taiwan by China, then would the action of withdrawing place all moral accountability on US shoulders?

Well, seeing as how that is not a very real world example because of all of the restraints you put on the question, I would say that some moral accountability would then lie with the US, yes. (Is that the answer you were looking for, do I get a passing grade now if I was in your class? haha) Of course even in this very constrained and not very realistic situation, not all of the moral accountability would lie with the US. Some moral accountability would obviously have to lie with the invading country, and to a lesser extent, those other countries who chose not to help defend Taiwan, as well as the complex set of situations that led to the Taiwan situation in the first place. (which we could also talk about, but I don't want to get reprimanded again for not discussing the appropriate thing from the syllabus handed out at the beginning of class)

So, who or who is not responsible for these promises and the need for protection in Taiwan (as a case example)? and why?

Uh oh, you are inviting me to elaborate further upon what I just said, and you made it explicitly clear that I was not allowed to do that, or I would get a 0. Seeing as how I answered your very specific non-real world example very accurately and with little deviation, I will stay with the answer I gave unless you require further explanation. I fear if I go off on my own again explaining what really is the best course of action in the real world and what really would happen then I might get smited again. (although an occasional smiting isn't that bad, haha [wis])

#56 Zarrka

• Topic Starter
  • 226 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 12:44 AM

ok, i dont have an amswer to the question. i really dont. i do not even have a preconcieved notion of what should be the case here.

ok, to your first point, what happens after withdrawal is paramount to the issue. If the US withdraw, and Taiwan is taken over, then what? thats exacly my question. If the Us withdrew and NOTHING happened, then there is no bad effect, and therefore no moral acountability, no? therefore id say what happens afterwards and how they withdraw is absolutly central to the issue, and i welcome statements pertaining to that.

If you want a certain just "yes" or "no" answer, or a conversation just about what you want us to discuss (since you are obviously frustrated we didn't talk about what you wanted us to), then you have to set up the question with the appropriate preconditions. For instance, "Given that NATO forces will come take over in Taiwan when American forces withdraw, then is the US morally responsible for what happens afterwards", or alternatively "Given that there will be no one to take over when they leave, is the US morally responsible for what happens when they leave". You can't ask us to make a decision before we know what preconditions you are thinking of. If you do that, we will necessarily fill in and discuss our own preconditions and you can not fault us for doing so, because our answer to your question is predicated on those very preconditions.

i dont want a yes and no answer, what i want answered is what i originally posted:

What about other cases such as Georgia, or even Taiwan? If America leaves Taiwan, the chances of china not taking them over within months is about zero. The issue here is that people make deals with countries, not administrations. If one president said they would help them, then that country will rely on the president’s country to help them even if that man is not re elected. If, under Ron Paul’s new foreign policy America leaves Taiwan, and china takes over, can the accountability be laid on Ron pauls government? By leaving, has he sentenced the entire population to fall under the dictatorship of China? Is that enough for accountability?

thats all i was asking.

of course, methods of pulling out need to be talked of. but, can america, under a new non intervention forign policy, just hand over the responsibility over to the UN / NATO? are they in a position to just say "i quit" and with draw world wide, and leave their gaps for Nato or the UN? i really do not have an opinion on if they do or they do not, but i think it is a question to be asked.

here you elaborated on the sceanrio, and it was really quite nice

Actually, that scenario proposes that there is a necessary end in sight. A more accurate scenario would be to say that there is an old lady who moves to a dangerous area of town on the assurance from you that you will live with her and protect her. After a few years of living with her you get tired of doing so because of the burden of always having to help her to the store, help her clean up, do chores for her, etc, etc. Would it be right for you to tell her that you are no longer happy with the arrangement and that you were going to leave in a short period of time? (or you could do the walking to the store scenario, but it would have to be an infinitely long walk that never ended, or at least with no end in the foreseeable future) I think that you could come up with some kind of an arrangement for someone else to help her, or for you to build up the structure of her house so that it couldn't be broken into and get her some protection for walking around.

as far as what you were looking for in a PC, this is what i was refering to

I don't think saying what the US should do in every single instance individually is what I am looking for in a presidential candidate anyway.

I know there is a lot more to Ron Paul... i quite like his speeches, both Aegist and i have been watching his work with great interest. But i have seen him suggest several times now that besides aboloshing the IRS and other institutions there in the US hed also like to see the UN aboloished, for what seems to be much the same reasons. im looking for places where he elaborates on reasons hed like to do this, but so far i have found no argument from him ( i dont think its the kind of thing hes able to discuss very often, as his stir up about what he will do in the US of course takes over riding interest) but it was from those speaches that these questions came to me anyway. I just thought it might be an interesting topic.

the idea that the question and discussion gets clearer as we start discussing the UN's involvment is exacly right - becasue it is one method of looking at shared responsibility for Taiwan, and may help get the US out of the dilema. but it needs to be shown why the US should just be able to hand over the responsibility, not just stated over and over (you have not done this, im just pointing this out). Maybe, due to the UN's lack of military we can exchange the UN to NATO so at least the new force has a military backing.

What i want is a discussion on what can happen here. So far it seems to come down to "its not Americas problem " " America cant be the world police" "who cares if Taiwan is taken over" "let the UN deal with it" or "we should discuss joint stratergies while working through the UN to achieve a good goal" of all the options, the last is only viable, and the last is the only one thats even an argument. Thats why i like Luna's post as he does clearly state the issue:

this issue can be boiled down to who is responsible for bearing the burden of promises made by the leaders of nation-states and who is responsible if and when those entities fail to follow through on those promises?

and that is key: if the answer is, new administrations have no resaon to say loyal to old agreements, then the US can easily hand over responsibilities to the UN. If the answer is that a contrey must stay loyal to older agreements of protection despite administration change, then maybe america cant leave Taiwan as quickly as they hoped.

#57 struct

• 565 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 03:54 AM

O o!
Another big storm is expected to hit Taiwan in about 2 days. This second one looks larger.
(See the second image below) Pabuk, in the upper left (between China and Taiwan) looks smaller in size compared to this coming one.
I think that US soldiers should get out of Taiwan or they may get killed by this one (Wutip will be its name) if they have survived Pabuk.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#58 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 04:09 AM

where would moral accontability lie

With the chinese doing the invading. Obviously. You talk about them like they are just some force of nature that should be accepted.

Certainly not with me, or 99.999% of americans who are the ones paying the bills against our will.

Moral accountability doesn't lie with nebulous groups, it lies with individuals. I am not responsibile remotely for actions taken without my knowledge before I was born. Saying that "America" is responsible is just a tricky way of saying the american people are responsible (unless you think the dirt and rocks are responsbile), which is saying that I am responsbile. Which is nonsense.

#59 Zarrka

• Topic Starter
  • 226 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 04:41 AM

by america, i of course mean the administration that makes these decisions. The decision here is whether or not they should break protection treaty agreements made with other countires.

the question if a nations people should be held acountable for thier goverments actions is an entierly diffrent question, and one that i did not raise here.

if your argument is that the administration can break this protection treaty, go home, and then watch Taiwan be inavded from afar with no accountability, then thats is a fine argument, but far from obvious. Go back to the analogy with the lady living in a dodgy area of town, liveforever has done great job of extending it to cover any possibility for the Taiwan case.

the question is: what are the conditions that allow contires to break treaties with other contires? is it as simple as "because we want to" or "becasue we are sick of it" or "because we think Taiwan should stand on its own 2 feet by now"? is this the argument for the treaty breaking? i dont care what that argument is, id just like to hear thoughts on conditions where treties can be broken.

To take the matter away from america and show a similar story involving australia, we have a n almost unspoken treaty with the islands around us. (this is diffrent because there is nothing written, but the moral implications are still the same) we have had many wars throughout the isles, we have defended Papua and held back indonesia, and even in Bali there are always threats against Aussie tourists. The intersting thing is that when ever one of these island contries goverments start going crazy and harming their people, Australia steps in and protects the people of those islands. we have been doing this for years. Should we, the next time this happens, just sit back and watch it happen and not help out? or should we continue to help and support the people of the islands while thier unstable democracy takes real root?

i know it sounds like im emotionally loading the question, all i can do is assure you that im not, and i dont actually have a view on this issue either but think its an intersting issue to discuss. i think Taiwan is more interseting, because it involves law and treties.

and let me state again that im not saying that makes the people pf america responsible, its soely aimed at the administration. Questions of peoples acccountability for their goverments actions is an intersting conversation but not one we are having here.

#60 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 05:14 AM

the question if a nations people should be held acountable for thier goverments actions is an entierly diffrent question, and one that i did not raise here.

No, that is the exact question you raised. Should the American people pay the bill or not?

The issue you have raised is, are individuals responsible for the actions of other individuals?

The analogy you raised about walking some old lady through the bad part of town doesn't remotely apply in any respect. If you want to make the analogy accurate it would be should I be held responsible if some other guy who happened to live in the same country as me started walking an old lady on an endless journey, he then died, am I morally responsible for continuing to walk her and make sure she doesn't get mugged?

Other arguments only obfuscate the true issue at hand. Individual responsibility is the only kind, or are we deciding that we are going back to being responsible for the sins of our fathers?

That is the essence of libertarian philosophy. One is absolutely responsible for one's own actions, as one should be, but the buck stops there. All these barriers between individuals and the consequences of their actions are terrible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users