Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Vector Virus to Alter Aging?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 moddex

• 5 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 04:57 AM

About two years ago on this forum, there was a topic discussing mitochondria that I had stumbled on a few minutes ago. It reminded me of a question I had that I hope to figure as a theory with a little help. My thought is with the power of modern genetics control, do you think it is possible to reprogram mitochondria with a vector virus to extend life spans and perhaps general stamina? The energy generated by a single mitochondria is incredibly great if I recall, so what if a vector virus could be made to release this ATP in the body to promote more efficient use of organs and the body by supplying it with more energy? Something so that the body metabolizes glucose and maybe even fat cells to feed the mitochondria. What do you all think?

#2 John Schloendorn

• Guest, Advisor, Guardian
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 10:06 PM

The body does this type of thing pretty well by itself. What exactly do you propose to improve?

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 moddex

• Topic Starter
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 01:36 AM

The body does this type of thing pretty well by itself.  What exactly do you propose to improve?

The yield of our mitochondria's energy. With as much energy that's produced by mitochondria, it can perhaps help keep up the body by leaps and bounds. As far as I know, our body only uses a faction of the energy that the mitochondria actually produce, using only what's sufficient.

One theory I had heard of aging is that there's an enzyme in the body that is no longer produced slowly because the body cannot produce it without the necessary energy. The mitochondria stop releasing as much energy and the cells can no longer regenerate. The body becomes enfeebled and we age away. My thought is if we were to harness this energy supply more effectively through the use of a vector virus, the mitochondria could continue to produce the energy needed to promote this enzyme's development.

I haven't really learned much in the field of biology and genetics, so I could be entirely wrong of course. But getting into detail of this idea is what I wonder about. If it can really be done if ever. Perhaps I'm too hopeful though. Realistically, I'm not certain this can be done. (Or at least desired to be done by researchers.)

sponsored ad

• Advert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users