Photo
- - - - -

Something I've noted about 5-HTP use

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 chipdouglas

• 218 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 05:06 PM

I waited a good while until I was sure of a link between my taking 5-HTP and a strange left leg ongoing cramp. Well, it feels like a very light cramp, where I have a weird sensation in my left leg that feels like a cramp, although it's not.

It doesn't hurt at all, but is annoying, as when I'm sitting this makes me uncomfortable, and I constantly feel like changing position to ease this.

It does look like a circulatory issue cause my left foot is colder to the touch. At times it is my right index finger that is.

And the reason for this posting is that I noticed a cause effect relationship when I have 5-HTP.

Since for a while I didn't take anythng else but the 5-HTP, which I was taking on and off, I could notice the above issue coming and going as I was on and off 5-HTP.

Don't know what to think about this yet, but I'm thinking of having this checked out.

#2 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 05:35 PM

Does your leg cramp up like that after eating lots of turkey?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 07:39 PM

Serotonin in the blood increases platelet aggregation and vasoconstriction.

#4 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 08:09 PM

It is odd that it is localized though. Does what you posted krillin cause cramps?

#5 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 08:18 PM

They impair blood flow, which can cause cramps or worse. Things that block platelet aggregation and vasoconstriction prevent heart attacks. Maybe he has a partial blockage in that leg somewhere and 5-HTP's effects are the straw that breaks the camel's back.

#6 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 08:28 PM

They impair blood flow, which can cause cramps or worse. Things that block platelet aggregation and vasoconstriction prevent heart attacks. Maybe he has a partial blockage in that leg somewhere and 5-HTP's effects are the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Interesting. Maybe chip may want to get this further checked out by a physician? It may be something bad that just hasn't had enough time to manifest itself yet?

#7 chipdouglas

• Topic Starter
  • 218 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 10:56 PM

Does your leg cramp up like that after eating lots of turkey?

Never noticed this after having turkey, so it probably doesn't, otherwise I'd have noted.

#8 chipdouglas

• Topic Starter
  • 218 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 11:07 PM

Interesting. Maybe chip may want to get this further checked out by a physician? It may be something bad that just hasn't had enough time to manifest itself yet?

I had it checked out today--the physician asked me whether it tingled or whether it felt numb, to which I said ; neither. She then had me take off my pants, checked whether it was a circulatory issue by touching both my feet, then checked my knee reflexes as well as achilles tendon's. Both were A ok.

She said that this looks very much like restless leg syndrome, and for me to remember that nerves also control temperature--so circulatory issues aren't the only reason why a body part may feel cool to the touch. My left feet never became cold, but only slightly cool.

I asked her whether she thinks this may be something else that maybe could progress into something else, and she said, nope. She did say it's something annoying but she's not at all worried.

It's not a pain, it's only a sensation of discomfort in the leg, but it really doesn't hurt at all, doesn't tingle, and isn't numb at all either.

While it's certainly good to be proactive, I also don't want to constantly second guess what a medical doctor tells me--after all they went to med school and I didn't.

I mentioned the association of 5-HTP and explained to her what 5-HTP is and does, but she didn't seem to matter to her.

So, I did the right thing and had it checked, just in case.

#9 chipdouglas

• Topic Starter
  • 218 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 11:12 PM

This is initially what I had in mind too. Only, I wouldn't think 25-50 mg 5HTP could do this--I usually take no more than 25 mg 5HTP, 50 is my own upper limit.

At this point, I'm not sure whether it'd be a good thing to have an ultra sound done about this. I'm 35 years old, I can't believe I'm clogged that much already--well hopefully I'm not.

#10 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 September 2007 - 11:35 PM

i do believe higher serotonin levels can actually make your sense of touch more sensative...

but to air on the safe side, ide switch over to tryptophan and definitely get it checked out... def get the ultrasound, better safe than sorry.

2G tryptophan, 5mg p5p, 500mg vitamin C + a little sugar is about as effective as 100-200mg of 5htp in my experience.

#11 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 11:42 PM

to be sure to be sure considering taking an aspirin each day (unless you have allergies to it) until you can see the doctor

#12 chipdouglas

• Topic Starter
  • 218 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 11:45 PM

i do believe higher serotonin levels can actually make your sense of touch more sensative...

but to air on the safe side, ide switch over to tryptophan and definitely get it checked out... def get the ultrasound, better safe than sorry.

2G tryptophan, 5mg p5p, 500mg vitamin C + a little sugar is about as effective as 100-200mg of 5htp in my experience.

It's a good recipe indeed--I'm sure it is as effective since insulin will clear other aminos in the way and leave Tryptophan go to the brain for serotonin biosynthesis.

#13 chipdouglas

• Topic Starter
  • 218 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 12:01 AM

to be sure to be sure considering taking an aspirin each day (unless you have allergies to it) until you can see the doctor

Don't have any allergies to aspirin--I'll get some later on this evening.

Would you still see yet another M.D. about this, considering I saw on at the E.R. this afternoon after 4:30 hours' waiting time [lol] It's the sad state of our health care system here in Canada, well in Quebec should I say. Other Canadian province such as Alberta have a better health system, where one pays a monthly fee to gain access to, but waiting time is nothing like what it is here.

I could get an ultrasound, but if it's through the public health system, then it may take 5 months if not more.......it's ludicrous. I'll have to go to a private clinic which will take down waiting time to about 2 days [lol] this is how bad it is here. Of course you pay to get the ultrasound, but you don't have to wait forever and in the meantine risk having any serious health crisis. We still pay to gain access to the public health service too, however it's deducted as an income tax.

#14 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 September 2007 - 01:31 AM

It's a good recipe indeed--I'm sure it is as effective since insulin will clear other aminos in the way and leave Tryptophan go to the brain for serotonin biosynthesis.

yes. exactly why you wanna wash it down with a little sugar

if clots do eventually become an issue for you... look into natto and serrapeptase

#15 chipdouglas

• Topic Starter
  • 218 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 01:44 AM

I'll remember those, thanks for mentioning.

#16 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 02:36 AM

She said that this looks very much like restless leg syndrome

This is a poorly understood and quite often misdiagnosed syndrome.

Did you mention having sleeping problems? Restless leg syndrome is generally though to affect sleep because......your leg is restless.

Here are the symptoms (put together by a panel @ the National Institute of Health):
NIH criteria

In 2003, a National Institutes of Health (NIH) consensus panel modified their criteria to include the following:
(1) an urge to move the limbs with or without sensations
(2) worsening at rest
(3) improvement with activity
(4) worsening in the evening or night

nothing about cramping? Don't factor RLS out just because your definition of cramping may just be their definition of "Urge to move leg"

from here you move on to diagnositics. Heck that what doctors are there to do. Diagnose. Not just throw possiblities at you and then leave you. I hate when doctors do this. It's quite easy to do but it does nothing for the sanity of the patient.

Unfortunately there are no real diagnostic tests for RLS. The doctor assesses the patients history, signs and symptoms whilst asking a series of questions to see if the patient fits the bill so to speak. Were you asked about frequency, duration, and intensity of symptoms as well as their tendency toward daytime sleep patterns and sleepiness, disturbance of sleep, or daytime function? I hate these subjective type diagnostic situations because there could be miscommunication that results in the misdiagnosed, as mentioned above.

Look perhaps I'm playing on this too much. The general approach I use when I am working to resolve an issue is to
(1) diagnose
(2) try and isolate cause
(3) treat cause by removing/avoiding things that aggravate situation or treat by adding things to treat imbalance/change

Chip if you are satisfied with your doctor's diagnosis then I would seek a second opinion. Keep in mind that RLS is difficult to diagnose and if it is RLS then the next doctor may say the same thing of refer you onto a neurologist which usually means lots of money.

Now let's talk about what you believe to be the culprit and match that with what the doctor had to say. You believe that the 5-HTP could possibly be causing the problem, which the doctor says is restless leg syndrome.

5-HTP acts to increase serotonin levels. I've had a read and found this recent study

Biol Psychiatry. 2005 Sep 15;58(6):510-4. Epub 2005 Jul 7.Click here to read Links
    Antidepressants and periodic leg movements of sleep.
    Yang C, White DP, Winkelman JW.

Sleep Disorders Clinic, Department of Psychiatry, Dong-A University College of Medicine, Busan, Korea. ckyang@daunet.donga.ac.kr

BACKGROUND: Frequent electroencephalographic arousals or awakenings associated with periodic leg movements (PLM) might be responsible in part for the complaints of sleep disturbances made by patients treated with antidepressants. Past studies, however, have determined the effects of only certain limited antidepressants, generally in small numbers of subjects, and never in a head-to-head study. METHODS: A total of 274 consecutive patients taking antidepressants and 69 control subjects not taking antidepressants met criteria among patients referred for overnight diagnostic polysomnography. Periodic leg movements were visually counted and the PLM index (PLMI) was calculated. RESULTS: The venlafaxine and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) groups had significantly higher mean PLMIs than control and bupropion groups. Periodic leg movement indexes at thresholds considered to be of potential clinical significance were more statistically prevalent in the SSRI and venlafaxine groups compared with the control and bupropion groups. The odds ratio of having a PLMI greater than 20 was 5.15 for the SSRI group and 5.24 for the venlafaxine group compared with the control group. CONCLUSIONS: Venlafaxine and SSRI-induced PLM are likely to be the result of enhanced serotonergic availability and secondarily decreased dopaminergic effects. The results of this study might assist in the selection of antidepressants, especially in patients with pronounced sleep complaints.

PMID: 16005440 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

So it looks like an increase in serotonin that decreases dopamineric activity would contribute to RLS/PLM. This begs me to ask the question: did you originally choose to start taking 5-HTP because you were feeling a little depressed? Your depression could be related to dopamine. Taking 5-HTP could aggrevate this situation even further. Do the symptoms go away when you stop taking 5-HTP? Funny enough a review I read outlines a number of clinical studies that use dopamine precursors to treat RLS/PLM

M. Grewal, R. Hawa and C. Shapiro, Treatment of periodic limb movements in sleep with selegiline HCl, Mov Disord 17 (2002), pp. 398–401

M.T. De Mello, A.M. Esteves and S. Tufik, Comparison between dopaminergic agents and physical exercise as treatment for periodic limb movements in patients with spinal cord injury, Spinal Cord 42 (2004), pp. 218–221.

and even melatonin gets a mention

D. Kunz and F. Bes, Exogenous melatonin in periodic limb movement disorder: an open clinical trial and a hypothesis, Sleep 24 (2001), pp. 183–187.

Has this at all helped?

#17 chipdouglas

• Topic Starter
  • 218 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 03:26 AM

Did you mention having sleeping problems? Restless leg syndrome is generally though to affect sleep because......your leg is restless.

Here are the symptoms (put together by a panel @ the National Institute of Health):
NIH criteria

In 2003, a National Institutes of Health (NIH) consensus panel modified their criteria to include the following:
(2) worsening at rest

nothing about cramping? Don't factor RLS out just because your definition of cramping may just be their definition of "Urge to move leg"

from here you move on to diagnositics. Heck that what doctors are there to do. Diagnose. Not just throw possiblities at you and then leave you. I hate when doctors do this. It's quite easy to do but it does nothing for the sanity of the patient.

Unfortunately there are no real diagnostic tests for RLS. The doctor assesses the patients history, signs and symptoms whilst asking a series of questions to see if the patient fits the bill so to speak. Were you asked about frequency, duration, and intensity of symptoms as well as their tendency toward daytime sleep patterns and sleepiness, disturbance of sleep, or daytime function? I hate these subjective type diagnostic situations because there could be miscommunication that results in the misdiagnosed, as mentioned above.

Look perhaps I'm playing on this too much. The general approach I use when I am working to resolve an issue is to
(1) diagnose
(3) treat cause by removing/avoiding things that aggravate situation or treat by adding things to treat imbalance/change

Chip if you are satisfied with your doctor's diagnosis then I would seek a second opinion. Keep in mind that RLS is difficult to diagnose and if it is RLS then the next doctor may say the same thing of refer you onto a neurologist which usually means lots of money.

Now let's talk about what you believe to be the culprit and match that with what the doctor had to say. You believe that the 5-HTP could possibly be causing the problem, which the doctor says is restless leg syndrome.

5-HTP acts to increase serotonin levels. I've had a read and found this recent study

Biol Psychiatry. 2005 Sep 15;58(6):510-4. Epub 2005 Jul 7.Click here to read Links

Sleep Disorders Clinic, Department of Psychiatry, Dong-A University College of Medicine, Busan, Korea. ckyang@daunet.donga.ac.kr

BACKGROUND: Frequent electroencephalographic arousals or awakenings associated with periodic leg movements (PLM) might be responsible in part for the complaints of sleep disturbances made by patients treated with antidepressants. Past studies, however, have determined the effects of only certain limited antidepressants, generally in small numbers of subjects, and never in a head-to-head study. METHODS: A total of 274 consecutive patients taking antidepressants and 69 control subjects not taking antidepressants met criteria among patients referred for overnight diagnostic polysomnography. Periodic leg movements were visually counted and the PLM index (PLMI) was calculated. RESULTS: The venlafaxine and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) groups had significantly higher mean PLMIs than control and bupropion groups. Periodic leg movement indexes at thresholds considered to be of potential clinical significance were more statistically prevalent in the SSRI and venlafaxine groups compared with the control and bupropion groups. The odds ratio of having a PLMI greater than 20 was 5.15 for the SSRI group and 5.24 for the venlafaxine group compared with the control group. CONCLUSIONS: Venlafaxine and SSRI-induced PLM are likely to be the result of enhanced serotonergic availability and secondarily decreased dopaminergic effects. The results of this study might assist in the selection of antidepressants, especially in patients with pronounced sleep complaints.

So it looks like an increase in serotonin that decreases dopamineric activity would contribute to RLS/PLM. This begs me to ask the question: did you originally choose to start taking 5-HTP because you were feeling a little depressed? Your depression could be related to dopamine. Taking 5-HTP could aggrevate this situation even further. Do the symptoms go away when you stop taking 5-HTP? Funny enough a review I read outlines a number of clinical studies that use dopamine precursors to treat RLS/PLM

M. Grewal, R. Hawa and C. Shapiro, Treatment of periodic limb movements in sleep with selegiline HCl, Mov Disord 17 (2002), pp. 398–401

M.T. De Mello, A.M. Esteves and S. Tufik, Comparison between dopaminergic agents and physical exercise as treatment for periodic limb movements in patients with spinal cord injury, Spinal Cord 42 (2004), pp. 218–221.

D. Kunz and F. Bes, Exogenous melatonin in periodic limb movement disorder: an open clinical trial and a hypothesis, Sleep 24 (2001), pp. 183–187.

Has this at all helped?

This is really interesting--I need to get a few things done now, but will get back to you in about an hour with more details about me. Gee thanks for such a detailed reply.

#18 brain

• 148 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 05:57 AM

maybe theres an FDA bias behind this study, but its enough to keep me from taking it. the counter evidence isn't out there, and until its saftey is proved i'm personally going to stay away from it. Eosinophilia-myalgia-syndrome it about the worse thing you could possibly get. i wouldn't want to touch even the smallest traces of what cause it.

http://www.emedicine...ed/topic693.htm

Mayo Clinic Press Release
Aug 27 1998

Mayo Clinic researchers report finding low levels of a potentially harmful contaminant in off-the-shelf samples of a popular dietary supplement, 5-Hydroxy-L-Tryptophan (5-OH-Trp or 5-HTP).

The contaminant, called "peak x," was linked to symptoms suffered by a family exposed to 5-HTP in 1991. It also has a similar chemical structure to contaminants found in batches of a related supplement, L-Tryptophan, which were linked to a 1989 outbreak of eosinophilia myalgia syndrome (EMS) that affected thousands of people.

The researchers say the finding is a "red flag" about the possibility of health risks from taking this supplement in large doses. Their report will be published in the September 1 issue of Nature Medicine.

Using sophisticated chemical analysis techniques, Mayo Clinic researchers analyzed pills from six samples of 5-HTP produced by six different manufacturers. Samples were purchased at health and nutrition stores in New York City and Rochester, Minn.

They found peak x in all six samples, both synthetic and natural extract preparations. The levels of peak x were only a fraction (between 3 and 15 percent) of the level that caused the illness in the earlier incident. The researchers warn, however, that, "as the intake of supplements is not medically supervised, the probability of increased doses of 5-OH-Trp and hence, peak x, being consumed is very real."

They point out that a current book (5-HTP: The Natural Way to Overcome Depression, Obesity and Insomnia) recommends consumption of 300 to 900 milligrams per day of the supplement. They say that if followed, this recommendation could bring the consumption level of peak x to levels associated with problems in the past.

The authors say that the potential health risks of dietary supplements were clearly demonstrated in the 1989 outbreak of EMS which killed at least 30 people and sickened more than 1,500. That outbreak was linked to consumption of a contaminated batch of the supplement L-tryptophan. Six different contaminants were linked to illnesses.

Mayo Clinic physicians and researchers diagnosed and treated many victims of that outbreak and played a key role in identifying the contaminants that were likely responsible for the illness.

Mayo Clinic researchers have characterized the chemical structure of peak x for the first time. They have discovered that peak x is, in fact, a family of nearly identical compounds. Their chemical structure is similar to two contaminants found in the L-tryptophan linked to EMS symptoms in 1989.

The Mayo researchers have previously raised similar questions about the purity of another popular dietary supplement, melatonin. In several recent publications, they report identification of contaminants in commercial preparations of melatonin whose chemical structure is very similar to some of the contaminants implicated in the L-tryptophan outbreak, as well as to peak x from 5-HTP.

The Mayo research team, led by Stephen Naylor, Ph.D. and Gerald Gleich, M.D., say that their study "emphasizes the need for tighter quality control for the production of both synthetic and 'naturally' produced nutritional supplements" to prevent the possibility of another epidemic in the future.

Mayo researchers have informed the Food and Drug Administration of their findings. They also have provided a description of testing methods used to the six manufacturers of 5-HTP included in the study so that they could confirm the study's findings.

Formal Reply by the National Nutritional Foods Association
Sep 1 1998

In a letter to the editor to be published tomorrow in the journal Nature Medicine, Mayo Clinic researchers claim to have discovered a potentially harmful contaminant in several products containing the amino acid 5-hyroxy-L-tryptophan (5-HTP), a widely used dietary supplement.

According to the National Nutritional Foods Association (NNFA), a trade association for the natural products industry, the letter contains more speculation than fact.

"My concerns about this article are far greater than any concerns I have about the safety of 5-HTP," said Michael Q. Ford, NNFA's executive director. "Even a cursory review of this letter raises serious questions about the conclusions reached by the researchers and their impartiality. It's more politics than science."

The numerous concerns raised by Ford include the following:

-- The article begins with an aggressive attack on the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act (DSHEA) of 1994, showing the authors clear bias against the industry.

--The sensational nature of the article is revealed when the writers state that the deadly outbreak in the late 1980s of eosinophilia myalgia syndrome (EMS), due to contaminated L-tryptophan, typifies the dangers of dietary supplement usage. In fact, the safety record of dietary supplements is enviable when compared with that of heavily regulated prescription and over-the-counter medications.

--The authors state the purity of 5-HTP products is unknown. There are relatively few manufacturers of 5-HTP, which is extracted from the seed of the Griffonia tree. NNFA member suppliers would not accept any raw material, including 5-HTP, without first receiving a certificate of analysis from the supplier attesting to the products' purity.

--The authors cite two cases of EMS "associated" with 5-HTP use, "most recently" in 1991 (reported in 1994) and the other "as far back as 1980." They use data from the former as the benchmark against which to measure potential EMS risk in the current samples of 5-HTP. In fact, these two cases represent the only connections reported in the literature of a link between EMS and 5-HTP, and both are inconclusive. In the words of the authors of the 1994 article, "The role of 5-HTP in the eosinophilia of this patient is (thus) uncertain."

--The authors allege that they have discovered a chemical structure called "peak x," which represents contamination in 5-HTP and can cause EMS. To verify this, NNFA supplier members had various batches of 5-HTP tested by independent laboratories using the same methodology as the Mayo Clinic researchers. While these laboratories were able to identify a distinct peak, none has been able to replicate the Mayo Clinic's findings that this peak is the same or similar to the contaminant found in L-tryptophan.

--The authors concede that "one possible reason" no new cases of EMS-like symptoms have been reported in connection with 5-HTP is due to the low dosage recommendations on the label. Yet they state, "since the intake of supplements is not medically supervised," higher dosages are bound to be consumed. Unless one is a patient in a hospital under close supervision, it is highly unlikely that ingestion of any substance --food, medication or supplements -- would ever be supervised by a medical professional.

--The authors quote, but do not identify, Richard Wurtman as saying 5-HTP is "another accident (epidemic) waiting to happen." Wurtman is a physician whose company, Interneuron Inc. holds the patent on Redux, a product banned by the FDA last year for causing heart defects. Redux is a serotonin generator, an effect 5-HTP has been reported to induce, raising serious questions about Wurtman's vested interests and bias.

--At the end of their letter, the authors thank several people and institutions, among them Dateline NBC "for supplying commercial preparations" of 5-HTP. It is incredible that an institution with the reputation of the Mayo Clinic would allow such a questionable procedure as obtaining samples from a television newsmagazine for use in testing. Ford said his own association employs the rigorous chain-of-custody procedure sanctioned by the Drug Enforcement Agency in testing commercial samples of member products. That a scientific institute would not use a similar protocol raises serious questions of ethics and bias.

"Clearly, all involved -- the researchers, FDA, Dateline NBC and Wurtman -- had a vested interest in a negative outcome in testing 5-HTP," Ford said. "But in the end, any link between alleged contamination of 5-HTP and L-tryptophan remains unproven. This isn't good science and it certainly shouldn't be news." September 6, 1998

#19 chipdouglas

• Topic Starter
  • 218 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 06:14 AM

NIH criteria

(2) worsening at rest

(1) diagnose

Has this at all helped?

I'll try and be as orderly as possible in my following replies--it most likely will be a long post as I can see many ramifications to the above.

As for sleep :

I've just asked my girlfriend about whether I have an agitated/disturbed sleep, as I don't think I do. She backed up that my legs is not restless during my sleep, however she said that I toss and turn a little. I personally think my sleep could use bettering, but overall I'd rate it as being good.

On NIH symptom #1. um, at first thought I'd say it's the legs that I move the most, although I move my hands/arms too. I often feel an urge to scratch this or that part, mostly in the face.

2. Yes, it's worst when I'm reading at the computer desk.

3. After lifting weights, cycling or other sporting activities, I can sit and be more relaxed without any acute urge to move legs or others, but I think this is a normal reaction to physical activities, which is a stress buster.

4. In my case, I think it's worst in the daytime, with no marked increase in the evening, at least if there's any, it's trivial.

While it's crossed my mind, I'd like to bring up that I've recieved two diagnosis of ADHD. The first by Dr. Eric Braverman in NYC 2 years ago, and the second slightly more than a month ago by a local psychiatrist. I brought this up to this PM at the clinic, but she (the attenting M.D.) couldn't find any correlation between the two. While I have not researched this, common sense and my readings on ADHD would have me believe there could be a link, but then, I've not researched this, and cannot make any such assumptions.

Typing this out, my girlfriend is next to me and she agrees I move a lot while sitting at the computer ; sometimes I sit with both legs crossed underneath my body, then switch to only one leg underneath and the next hanging down, then both hanging down and so on and so forth.

I also must tell you that Dr. Braverman in addition to the ADHD diagnosed me with Dysthymia. The local psychiatrist said it was GAD (Generalized Anxiety Disorder). Dysthymia also involves anxiety. I find many of those mental symptoms overlap.

I also agree that it's nothing to help patient's sanity that to throw hypothetical diagnosis such as that thrown at me this PM. I find this careless to some degree. I understand that they prioritize cases according to their seriousness, but still this is not the way I'd like to practice medicine should I were a medical doctor--however they're not their own boss, given I went to the public health service today--in private clinics, things are quite different. Many M.D.'s would like to spend more time with their patients, and provide better care, and around here, that's why they either move to the U.S. where they get a better pay check and work benefits, or go to the private sector.

Were you asked about frequency, duration, and intensity of symptoms as well as their tendency toward daytime sleep patterns and sleepiness, disturbance of sleep, or daytime function?

When I walked into her office, she asked what brought my there, and I started to tell her about what I sensed to be a very mild cramping sensation, and that it comes and goes i.e. like right now, I don't have this, but earlier this evening and today I did, although I had 20 mg 5-HTP after my dinner meal this evening. I don't recall her asking about frequency, but then I'm so talkative that I myself mentioned to her that it comes and goes--someday it's on while on others it's off. I simply have noticed that it seems to fall near those times where I have 5-HTP. I noted this over a 2 months' period. She did ask about intensity, and again I told her that the cramping sensation was mild, although the reslesstless can sometimes get bad, up to a point where carrying out my functions is impaired--most especially when this involves reading from the computer. Reading in a book in the living room for instance doesn't yield as severe symptoms as reading from the computer. I do not have any tendency towards daytime sleep patterns, at least not that I'm aware of. Well, some sleepiness yep, but then I usually get to bed late (around 12 midnight to 1 AM) as I spend much time reading--ironic hey [tung] I think I have decreased productivity big time, as reading through an article which requires about 30 minutes may very well require me an hour and often more than that. Again it's mainly reading from the computer although reading from a book could use some improvement too. I'll soon be getting a brand new computer and and 22'' LCD screen--this time I'll make sure to pick a silent puter case--I don't mind shelling out big bucks, as long as it's as silent as can be. Or I could go the laptop route, which are very quiet. Silence I think would help my computer reading ability, at least I think so, but could find myself to be mistaken in time.

Yes, I took 5HTP to control my anxiety, which in the long run sure adeversly affects mood. So I usually definately have some degree of depression--a retired endocrinology researcher friend of mine recently confirmed this while having a discussion with him.

Your depression could be related to dopamine. Taking 5-HTP could aggrevate this situation even further. Do the symptoms go away when you stop taking 5-HTP? Funny enough a review I read outlines a number of clinical studies that use dopamine precursors to treat RLS/PLM

Two years ago, my libido was down in the dumps--in fact during the last 9 years it was low to non-existent. So two years ago I decided to try Deprenyl after reading much about it. I ordered a pack of Jumex, and started at 2.5 mg twice a week. Each time, what little libido I had prior to taking DPR was annihilated 20 minutes after ingesting the drug. I ran a short DPR course of 3 weeks, during which in the last week I went to to 5 mg 2-3 times that week, to no avail. DPR at this dosage never ever improved my sex drive. I was aware that <10 mg/day DPR is a selective MAO-B inhibitor, so since I'd never gone above 5 mg per day, I felt safe. Seeing that it was helping at the 3 week mark, I decided to stop cold turkey. I should also mention that while I was on DPR, despite seeing no improvement in libido, I felt good and had better focus and attention span. So I was saying that I went off after being on it for 3 weeks, and the next day I had a small piece of dark chocolate at mom's. 20 minutes thereafter, I started having what felt to be extrasystoles. At first I didn't pay much attention thinking this was a random occurence, but I had more of those in the minutes that followed. Then I started feeling a weird panicky feeling started to mount and pervade which I'd never felt before. I started to try and convince myself this would soon go away, but it never did, and 10 minutes later I could feel my heart pounding and my carotid arteries were literally bouncing, and I suddently felt nauseated. I headed straight to the ER, as I'd never ever felt that bad ever. Once at the ER my blood pressure read 185/111 and heart rate about 120 or so. I was having a panic attack. I had 5 more of those until the drug cleared my system I guess. I should also point out that my father had passed away 4 months before this incident, and his passing caused a heck of a lot of grief to me, as we were ever so close and I'm an only child--so I reckon the passing of my beloved father did play a part in the DRP induced panic attacks. Dark chocolate contain PEA and Theobromine IIRC, and DPR IIRC also increase PEA--again IIRC DPR has a second action independent of it's MAO-B inhibition of being a sympatomimetic, and dark chocolate I imagine served as a trigger which spiraled into a full blown panic attack.

I also wish to mention that never ever in my life had I ever came close to anything like those above mentioned panic attacks--it was a first !

Since then, my baseline anxiety is higher, but has recently improved quite a bit through the use of 5HTP. I want to make clear that I not a big proponent of massive doses and never was. I'm rather conservative as far as dosing.

Further, ever since this incident I've had more palpitations, which were checked out twice via wearing a Holter for 48-hour on each occassion. It revealed supraventricular ectopy (extrasystoles) about which I saw 8 M.D.'s all of whom told me this is nothing to worry about. Since anxiety begets/feeds anxiety when I have any I try and disregard them. Also adrenaline acts as a trigger for those, so the less tense I'm the better.

I'm very sleepy now, and will go to sleep, but yes your post was both helpfyl and interesting Zoolander. I thank you for it. You'll probably find this one I've just finished typing out loaded with relevant info, which you didn't know about.

Also normally increasing serotonin lowers dopamine production from dopaminergic neurons since these are joined at the hip. This can lead to increased prolactin, and then lower Gonadotropins, and then lower testosterone, lower dopamine and lower libido. I'm still not clear about whether I'm experiencing low dopamine and/or low serotonin. I'd definately lean more towards serotonin being on the low side, as low serotonin has been linked to panic attacks. If one increases serotonin this leads to a reduction of percieved stress, thus lower Norepinephrine, which might increase dopamine, cause I've read from Dr. Romeo Mariano over at MESO that when there's too much stress the brain lowers dopamine as there's an increase in NE. Dr. Braverman put more emphasis on inhibitory neurotransmitters as well i.e. GABA and serotonin, with some catecholamine support for balance.

Recently, the only things I've been taking on and off are whey protein and 5HTP--I've also added cinnamon to my diet.

P.S. My anxiety is far less now than it used to be.

P.P.S Yesterday I had a large piece of wild pacific ocean salmon (it was luscious for sure) but this morning I woke up with far more anxiety than what I've recently experienced. I think EPA can increase Dopamine IIRC--I read this in Barry Sears's book.

Ok, I'm off to bed now....talk to you later.

#20 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 07:10 AM

There is no doubt that small changes, not just in single neurotransmitters but the balance between neurotransmitters, can cause changes in both psycholgy and physiology. It's a very complex scenario. It usually freaks me out to see some of the members here messing with this balance with very strong pharmaceuticals. Chip in your case supplementing with 5-HTP is a mild example of this. Some people are very sensitive to very small changes.

I know of more than one case where members have been playing around with their neurochemistry and returned to the forums a few weeks/months later a very ill person. Psychologically that is. If you have been coming here for a while you would have seen this.

The moral of the story....BE CAREFUL!

#21 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 07:10 AM

thatnks for sharing you story Chip

#22 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 07:12 AM

Brain, a lot of supplements that contain 5-HTP have been tested for this contaminant that produces the "x peak". Read the label and you'll see

#23 chipdouglas

• Topic Starter
  • 218 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 02:36 PM

That's why I always use very low dose of anything which has the potential to cause imbalance. I still have the protocol Dr. Braverman built for me. I never use drugs--my using Deprenyl was a one-off thing.

One decent place to learn about the impact of some dietary supplements on neurotransmitters is : https://www.neurorel...d=161&Itemid=48

#24 chipdouglas

• Topic Starter
  • 218 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 02:38 PM

thatnks for sharing you story Chip

You're quite welcome Zoolander.

#25 chipdouglas

• Topic Starter
  • 218 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 02:50 PM

Your depression could be related to dopamine. Taking 5-HTP could aggrevate this situation even further. Do the symptoms go away when you stop taking 5-HTP? Funny enough a review I read outlines a number of clinical studies that use dopamine precursors to treat RLS/PLM ?

Do you still think there might be a dopamine involvement after reading my story ?

By the way much of what I've learned comes from Dr. Romeo Mariano--you find find all of his postings to Men's health section here : http://forum.mesomor...searchid=244951

His screen name is : Marianco, and the link above contains all of his postings on the forum in question--if you browse those, you'll find some very interesting clinical info. Dr. Mariano is in Monterey, California and his a psychiatrist and has a specialty in behavioral endocrinology--he works with orthomolecular psychiatry as well as hormones and pharmaceuticals.

#26 chipdouglas

• Topic Starter
  • 218 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 03:04 PM

Last winter, I consulted with an anti-aging M.D. (he's an ER doctor, but also works big time in anti-aging), and he looked at the ton of blood work I have stored on my computer, and said that the only thing that stood out was my low value on a 24-hour urinary Cortisol essay :

Urinary Cortisol 87 ( 55--300) nmol/d
duration : 24 hours
Volume : 1 150 mL

Then there's the serum Cortisol values AM & PM from the same batch :

Cortisol (8 hours) 679 ( 160 - 700) nmol/L
Time of blood draw : 8: 45 AM

Cortisol (16 hours) 186 ( 50 - 500) nmol/L
Time of blood draw : 3: 30 PM

IIRC Urinary cortisol measures Free Cortisol, and not total as in serum value. Free is usable Cortisol.

The same doctor told me that he doesn't need to see an ACTH stim test to make a diagnosis of adrenal fatigue, however many physicians think it is mandatory to have an ACTH stim test to see whether the low urinary cortisol value makes sense or not. My endocrinologist friend opines that an ACTH stim test is also needed, while doctors claming they're not useful in diagnosis adrenal fatigue, as the test is not sensitive enough and they would miss many AF cases should they relied on these.

My endo friend said that he finds far too many cases are blamed on Adrenal fatigue, and that it is not the only way chronic stress can cause imbalance in someone. I agree with him on this.

So in the end, that anti-aging M.D. made out a script for Hydrocortisone, which I never used although I have it here, for fear of causing more harm than good.

#27 chipdouglas

• Topic Starter
  • 218 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 04:25 PM

The shrink I saw would like me to start me on some stimulant, however when I told im about my having extrasystoles, he didn't like it. I'd obviously get more of those since as the word implies, those are stimulants, and would trigger more extrassytoles, and I'd probably end up on beta-blockers, and I'm way too young to get on this--the beta-blocker that is.

#28 chipdouglas

• Topic Starter
  • 218 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 04:54 PM

At this point I've found out that working on resolving my anxiety has worked wonders for me in terms of improved daytime functioning, unfortunately, I'm aware there might be some dangers in using 5HTP--I mean, I cannot ignore what is being written on it, and the lack of long term studies.

Tryptophan appears safer, but still the menace of PeakX is still looming.

Whey protein allegedly increase Tryptophan as alpha lactalbumin is tryptophan rich.

Then there's SAMe and SJW, however those do not increase serotonin specifically.

I do not want to cause imbalance in the neurotransmitter system, and should work on improving others as well, as it works as a *system*--this is the program Dr. Braverman set up for me.

That being said, I'm being very careful !

#29 chipdouglas

• Topic Starter
  • 218 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 05:05 PM

At this point, I don't know what to do, and God knows I have to do something about this cause I need to get back to school-my whole future depends on it. But I need to control my agitation and anxiety--5HTP does a very good job of doing this, but there are drawbacks and known dangers to this.

My options are not many.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 05:07 PM

this is the program Dr. Braverman set up for me.

Huh? You had a consultation with him?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users