Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Question: Life expectancy throughout human history

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 noam

• 34 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 08:46 PM

I'm trying to find out what was the Life expectancy of humans during history, but only after factoring *out* infant mortality. Does anyone have a clue where can I find such information ?

#2 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 08:58 PM

I'm trying to find out what was the Life expectancy of humans during history, but only after factoring *out* infant mortality. Does anyone have a clue where can I find such information ?

Lots of times they do that by saying "Life expectancy at age 5" (e5) or age 10 (e10) or whatever. If you google around a bit, you can find studies detailing life expectancy at those ages. For instance, here is one site that popped up first on a google search using the criteria I just said: http://www.infopleas...a/A0005140.html

It says that for white males, life expectancy at age 10 (well past infant mortality range) has risen from 48.0 remaining years (58.0 total) in 1850 to 66.3 remaining years (76.3 total) in 2004. (the jump is even bigger for white females, from 47.2 remaining years to 71.3 remaining years at age 10 for the same time period)

Of course, you can measure life expectancy at any age you want (remaining life expectancy), but the higher you go, the more data you are factoring out, and so the more flat the line will look. Also, you have to keep in mind that the reporting methods of some countries (especially Communist ones like Cuba) are a lot of the time skewed to make themselves look better than they really are. (infant deaths sometimes aren't reported, etc.)

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,076 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 09:13 PM

Here is the Imminst conference presentation by Chris Heward

Scoll to the bottom to view the powerpoint. In it you will find a graph that shows life expectancy at 50 increasing by 9 years from 1900 to 2000. Otherwise the powerpoint is pretty depressing for anyone who is currently over 20-25 years old. Decline in vitality is rapid. Master athletes live longer than the average person but even they age at the same rate (they just start from a higher level).

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 noam

• Topic Starter
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 05:58 PM

Thanks Live Forever and Mind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users