Photo
- - - - -

Best form of exercise for health?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 05:50 AM

Given limited time, say 15-30 minutes per day, what is the best form of exercise for your health? Looking good is not my primary objective (building muscle), I just want to be healthy. What's the best way to exercise for health?

#2 quarter

• 132 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 11:53 AM

Based on no studies just my personal opinion for your limited half hour slot I would recommend short repeated bursts of high intensity activity like repeated all out sprints with a recovery period much longer than the effort period, i.e. 15 second max sprint, 2/3 minute rest/walk recovery, repeat for your 15-30 minutes.

It should be noted that the benefits of any one workout will diminish with time as your body adapts therefore you would need to change things up every so often to provide the adaptation stimulus. But in essence I am simply recommending the benefits of fartlek type training as opposed to a steady 30 minute run.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 06:06 PM

Just do something for those 15-30 minutes every day. Sprinting, rowing, hiking, squats, whatever. Just choose an exercise and go at it for that designated time period.

#4 stayin_alive

• 84 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 07:29 PM

I would add that you might consider doing things that are more safe than others or wear protective devices. I have sustained many injuries and problems due to my disregard of safety and getting out and "just doing it."

I wore no helmet and rode my bicycle everywhere a few years back. On one fine day, something happened which caused me to go head first into cement. Short term memory for that morning is completely lost. I feel a personality shift as well as various problems such as a lower ability to memorize things, to conceptualize or otherwise intellectualize.

I can tell of many more. This was in the age where the advice was to stay away from sports or other activities which involved others due to the potential for damage.

I ride bikes everywhere now, fitted with decent protection and choose my paths wisely (and times of course.) you can get a fair amount of exercise out of a bike and they are fun too. You can make the exercise difficult by switching gears and going off road.

Here in Houston, you can even commute just about everywhere with a bike and use of the metro. There are several parks and bike clubs.

Bicycling has soo much going for it, I'm surprised it's not mentioned too much. Almost no joint stresses, it works out the upper legs, and you can get a decent cardio out of it if you try.

#5 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 07:40 PM

Given limited time

You can always try tabatas.

#6 sentinel

• Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 09:54 AM

Hi Ghost

Most of the above, but I would be cautious about increasing intensity gradually on unfamiliar exercises. Classic example : The Parents race at school sports day!

On more than one occasion I have been at my kids school and at the end of the day for "fun" mums/dads would line up for a 100 metres sprint. On each occasion 2-3 parents emerged with serious pulls, hamstring injuries, twisted angles etc.

I wouldn't launch into sprints straight off, or heavy squats/compound exercises as you'll fall apart and won't be able to train for 3 days (or more) which defeats the object. But if you can really commit 15-30 minutes then, like shep said, do whatever, just make each day different in terms of target area different to the last so you are not killing your CNS, or same muscle groups day after day.

eg day 1 running, day 2 body weight exercises (chins, press-ups, crunches etc), day 3 cycling.... That would give you all round health by combining aerobic with anaerobic and reducing the likelihood of injury. Sprints are great but some start off jogging -> running -> spinting and ascertain you ligament and joint tolerance.

Consistency is the most important thing, even more than intensity. Good luck chap!

Sentinel

#7 Ghostrider

• Topic Starter
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 07:38 PM

I have been biking every day or every other day (depending on if it is raining or not) for about a month now for about 30 minutes each time, and there are lots of hills where I live. Anyway, I wonder if running would be better exercise. I am really only interested in cardio.

#8 MP11

• 121 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 08:12 PM

I'd do HIIT and/or compound movements and streching. Also, remember not to neglect small muscle groups or stabilizers-type muscles.

There are a variety of exercises out there and based on what you choose to do there are certain exercises you should follow those choices up with. If you do come up wtih a plan and want to post it or want more ideas reply or PM me and I'll give you feedback.

#9 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 07:48 PM

I have been biking every day or every other day (depending on if it is raining or not) for about a month now for about 30 minutes each time, and there are lots of hills where I live. Anyway, I wonder if running would be better exercise. I am really only interested in cardio.

For me, biking doesn't work well at all compared to running. Whenever I had to bike instead of run due to injury, I'd pack on ten pounds. Biking also doesn't help with bone density. Just don't run every day or you'll hurt yourself. I've found that I can only stay injury-free by limiting myself to four days per week, and do strength training on the other three.

#10 Karomesis

• 1,010 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 07:41 PM

for optimum cardio, do some rowing. In a study of athletes hearts it was found to offer the best of both worlds, increased left ventricle ejection fraction as well as increased mass for more forceful pumping.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....tractPlusDrugs1

Do multiple Tabata protocols. 20 seconds maximum effort followd by 10 seconds of rest for 3:50.

#11 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 07:48 PM

dancing
put 30 minutes of your favorite music on and
move your body to it

#12 porthose

• 107 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 01:36 AM

dancing
move your body to it

yes thats it! while i advocate the olympic lifts for superior athletic potential, i love to dance. i've been doing LA Style Salsa for 2 years and on a Friday night there's a group of us who visit a club that plays latin style music. its not unusual for us to salsa from 9pm right through to about 3am. the buzz! the buzz! ;)

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#13 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 05:59 AM

dancing
move your body to it

yes thats it! while i advocate the olympic lifts for superior athletic potential, i love to dance. i've been doing LA Style Salsa for 2 years and on a Friday night there's a group of us who visit a club that plays latin style music. its not unusual for us to salsa from 9pm right through to about 3am. the buzz! the buzz! ;)

I love salsa. You have balance, strength, co-ordination and cardio too.
Dancing is as athletic as any sport, if not more so.
Ballet dancers are serious athletes.
Try ballet sometime, It makes power lifting look like hop scotch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users