Photo
- - - - -

Optimal Sleeping Temperature

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 12:58 AM

What is the optimal temperature for sleeping? It might sound like a stupid question, but I can throw on extra blankets and consequently sleep with a warmer body temperature and wake up feeling like I had a deeper sleep, only problem is that it is harder to get up in the morning. Less blankets, leaves me feeling like I had a more shallower sleep, less refreshing sleep, but I often awake easier. Not sure which approach is better during the day.

#2 shuffleup

• 160 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 01:06 AM

What is the optimal temperature for sleeping?  It might sound like a stupid question, but I can throw on extra blankets and consequently sleep with a warmer body temperature and wake up feeling like I had a deeper sleep, only problem is that it is harder to get up in the morning.  Less blankets, leaves me feeling like I had a more shallower sleep, less refreshing sleep, but I often awake easier.  Not sure which approach is better during the day.

I think I read somewhere that cooler is better. I prefer cooler myself and often get up in the night and make it cooler in the house.

#3 Ghostrider

• Topic Starter
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 01:12 AM

What is the optimal temperature for sleeping?  It might sound like a stupid question, but I can throw on extra blankets and consequently sleep with a warmer body temperature and wake up feeling like I had a deeper sleep, only problem is that it is harder to get up in the morning.  Less blankets, leaves me feeling like I had a more shallower sleep, less refreshing sleep, but I often awake easier.  Not sure which approach is better during the day.

I think I read somewhere that cooler is better. I prefer cooler myself and often get up in the night and make it cooler in the house.

I think I read that somewhere on here too. Personally, I prefer whatever is opposite to the weather outside. I like cool in the summer and warmer in the winter. Probably because the temperature of room that I sleep in fluctuates in the same way.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 01:25 AM

I like it cold, but with blankets to keep me warm.

#5 EmbraceUnity

• 1,018 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 02:28 AM

Cooler temperatures slow your body down in almost every way, including heart beat, metabolism, and aging. Flies in cooler temperatures are known to live longer and slower lives. Ever put a fly in the frige? It moves very slow. And everyone knows about how dogs (and people) act in heat.... they get horny and are more active. There seems to be a correlation with lower body temperatures and long life. Lots of people on CR have low body temperatures, and that would seem to make sense.

#6 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 02:53 AM

I would like to send a personal thanks from Al Gore to all the people intentionally lowering the temperature of their houses at night for some hope of life extension. Unless it is in winter.

Cooler temperatures slow your body down in almost every way, including heart beat, metabolism, and aging. Flies in cooler temperatures are known to live longer and slower lives. Ever put a fly in the frige? It moves very slow. And everyone knows about how dogs (and people) act in heat.... they get horny and are more active. There seems to be a correlation with lower body temperatures and long life. Lots of people on CR have low body temperatures, and that would seem to make sense.

I think this is just a bit of a stretch if you're going to try to apply it to humans.

#7 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 03:02 AM

I think this is just a bit of a stretch if you're going to try to apply it to humans.

Yeah, the evidence is pretty thin in that statement. I'd like to see some actual data from studies on temperature and how it increases/decreases life expectancy. It would be fairly easy to do in mice, I would think. (just put different groups in different rooms with different temperatures)

#8 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 03:08 AM

Yeah, the evidence is pretty thin in that statement. I'd like to see some actual data from studies on temperature and how it increases/decreases life expectancy. It would be fairly easy to do in mice, I would think. (just put different groups in different rooms with different temperatures)

..and just as I say that:

http://www.nature.co...s061030-11.html
http://colinfarrelly...expectancy.html
http://www.healthy.n...cle.asp?Id=1223
http://www.the-scien.../display/27374/
http://stke.sciencem...ci;314/5800/825

Genetically reducing the core body temperature of mice by a half-degree Celsius helped them live 15 percent longer, a finding that could shed light on how calorie restriction helps prolong life, researchers report in Science.

I guess lower body temperature might actually have benefits. (at least in mice) Maybe I should start taking more cold showers..

#9 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 03:11 AM

Maybe I should start taking more cold showers..

Cold water dousing...it's awesome.

Edit: Just to clarify, I'm not arguing against lower body temperature being desired. Although, I'm not convinced it's not what is causing the lower temperature that is desired. But, I'm saying it's a little foolhardy to try to manipulate your core body temperature through your environment.

Edited by shepard, 17 October 2007 - 03:22 AM.

#10 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 03:26 AM

Just to clarify, I'm not arguing against lower body temperature being desired. Although, I'm not convinced it's not what is causing the lower temperature that is desired. But, I'm saying it's a little foolhardy to try to manipulate your core body temperature through your environment.

Which is backed up by at least one of the above links:

How can we lower our core temperatures?
First we should realize that environmental factors are of secondary importance in altering our core temperature, although there is a clear advantage in them being undemanding. A cold environment calls for both greater metabolic activity and calorie intake with all the negative results that this produces. A pleasantly warm environment, however, reduces metabolic demands and food intake (at least this is true in terms of what is required for heat generation, and is supported by animal studies).

(from the third page of this link)

#11 Ghostrider

• Topic Starter
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 04:35 AM

How can we lower our core temperatures?
First we should realize that environmental factors are of secondary importance in altering our core temperature, although there is a clear advantage in them being undemanding. A cold environment calls for both greater metabolic activity and calorie intake with all the negative results that this produces. A pleasantly warm environment, however, reduces metabolic demands and food intake (at least this is true in terms of what is required for heat generation, and is supported by animal studies).

Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well. If you better insulate yourself, your body consumes less energy burning calories to keep you at your ideal temperature. Therefore, your body is less active and you can get a deeper sleep?

#12 basho

• 774 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 10:54 AM

I prefer a very warm environment for two reasons:

1) No need for any blankets

2) Can run a fan all night providing a calming breeze while masking external noise.

#13 wayside

• 344 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 03:49 PM

Too warm (78 F+) and I sweat too much which does not lead to quality sleep.

Too cold (60 F-) and my skin gets uncomfortably cold, which does not lead to quality sleep.

In the winter I keep the bedroom at 65 F; any warmer and I get too hot from the amount of blankets my wife throws on the bed.

#14 resveratrol

• 340 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 06:02 PM

..and just as I say that:

http://www.nature.co...s061030-11.html
http://colinfarrelly...expectancy.html
http://www.healthy.n...cle.asp?Id=1223
http://www.the-scien.../display/27374/
http://stke.sciencem...ci;314/5800/825

Thanks for the links. The healthy.net article was particularly interesting:

It is worth emphasizing that such a response is almost certainly linked to a reduction in free radical activity brought about by lowered metabolic activity.

Does that seem likely? I was under the impression that perhaps the effect was due to the colder temperature having an effect on the rate of glycation (seems unlikely for such a small temperature difference), or forcing the organism to burn more calories, thus bringing the metabolic budget closer to CR.

Also, re:

I guess lower body temperature might actually have benefits. (at least in mice) Maybe I should start taking more cold showers..

I have a hard time taking cold showers, particularly when I'm doing CR or intermittent fasting. However, I've started to think that avoiding hot showers and hot tubs and the like is particularly important, in light of the research as to how it significantly degrades sperm quality ... and if it does that, it surely can't be good for the rest of your body, either (most likely sperm quality is more quantifiable, and thus more easily identifiable, than an overall biological effect).

Here's a link: http://www.scienceda...70302082259.htm

Edited by resveratrol, 17 October 2007 - 06:41 PM.

#15 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 06:20 PM

I have a hard time taking cold showers, particularly when I'm doing CR or intermittent fasting.

Yes, haha, I was just kinda joking since cold showers are associated with...umm...other things.

#16 resveratrol

• 340 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 06:42 PM

Yes, haha, I was just kinda joking since cold showers are associated with...umm...other things.

Oh ... I see [huh]

#17 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 06:47 PM

Oh ... I see [huh]

Sorry, I thought everyone knew that phrase.

For clarification:
http://idioms.thefre...e a cold shower
http://www.urbandict...e a cold shower
...etc...

#18 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 October 2007 - 08:12 PM

I try to be as cold as I can tolerate, but not too cold that I wont wake up in the morning :D

My body temperature before I go to bed is usually around 35.3 degrees C under arm and ear temp is about 35.8 degrees C.

I've never really liked to sleep in warm rooms though, I always leave my window open at night.

#19 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 08:22 PM

I would say that whatever "feels" most comfortable to an individual is probably what is easiest on the body. Every individual is, of course, different.

On a side note: Does anyone notice that girls get cold more easily than guys? I don't know if this is a universal phenomenon, but just about every female I have ever met says they are "cold" at a much higher temperature than I get cold, and I get hot when they are just in a comfortable zone.

#20 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 08:29 PM

On a side note: Does anyone notice that girls get cold more easily than guys?

Always. And whenever I mention that it might be because of their higher surface area to volume ratio they get all offended, as if I'd called them fat.

#21 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 October 2007 - 08:37 PM

By the way, if my body temperature reaches 37 degrees Celsius, to me it FEELS like I have a mild fever! Weird hu?

#22 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 08:38 PM

yep, women get cold.

I never get cold.

#23 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 October 2007 - 08:42 PM

100-year-old: Try cold showers for long life?
http://edition.cnn.c...24/living.well/

:D

#24 Johan

• Guest, F@H
  • 472 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 09:36 PM

I generally try to keep my room as cold as I can manage - makes me sleep better. I basically keep my window slightly open all year round, even in snowy winter.

Body temp about 5 minutes ago was 35.4ºC (under arm). I haven't felt significantly colder compared to when body temp was ~37ºC, though. Maybe I've just gotten used to it.

I do generally take pretty hot showers, but I'll try the cold variety from now on.

Also, that guy giving blood at age 100 is pretty awesome. Might help him live a bit longer too, getting rid of excess iron and whatnot.

#25 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 09:50 PM

Well I think in ºF so I had to do a conversion. 96.8ºF (the "standard body temperature" they always give) = 36ºC for anyone else that is interested. Anyone else interested in converting back and forth the numbers given can use this site.

#26 Centurion

• 1,000 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 10:04 PM

I find I sleep better in a cold room with the bodyheat of some foxy maiden to keep me warm. It works even better if I know her name

#27 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 11:08 PM

100-year-old: Try cold showers for long life?
http://edition.cnn.c...24/living.well/

Stuff like this has been going around in some circles for a while. It was theorized that the cold shock caused a hormetic response and increased endogenous antioxidant production.

Well I think in ºF so I had to do a conversion. 96.8ºF (the "standard body temperature" they always give) = 36ºC

It's 98.6 and 37 degrees.

#28 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 October 2007 - 11:14 PM

Tympanic membrane (ear) / Rectal temperature are most accurate and show higher temperatures than oral and axillary (underarm).

I use this to measure core temperature... its very good :)

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B0001D0LMS

#29 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 12:02 AM

One of my professors used that as an example of significant figures abuse. The original data said 37 degrees C, so the degrees F number should be 99.

#30 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 12:04 AM

Well I think in ºF so I had to do a conversion. 96.8ºF (the "standard body temperature" they always give) = 36ºC

You are totally right. I must be dyslexic or something.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users