- - - - -

Adverse effects of occasional cigar smoking

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#31 s123

• Director
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 07:49 PM

Sometimes you've got to drink too much with some old friends.
Sometimes you've got to have that slice of cheesecake.
Sometimes you've got to have a good tobacco product.

Completely cutting out anything that you have the self-control to enjoy in moderation is counterproductive to living to your fullest.

You don't need to have everything to live to your fullest.

#32 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 07:50 PM

Completely cutting out anything that you have the self-control to enjoy in moderation is counterproductive to living to your fullest.

You left out loose women and cocaine binges..

Ok, just loose women..

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 07:58 PM

You guys are forgetting the best reason to smoke cigars; Because Clint Eastwood did.

Posted Image

Link: Top 100 Cigar Smokers of the 20th Century. :))

#34 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 08:01 PM

You left out loose women and cocaine binges..

Ok, just loose women..

Ah, I love Halloween weekend.

#35 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 08:04 PM

You don't need to have everything to live to your fullest.

I would agree with that. I'm just saying denying yourself something that you enjoy that you have the ability to control isn't adding to your quality of life. If having a drink fills you with the desire to continue drinking until intoxication, regardless of the setting, I'd say you shouldn't drink. If you can have a beer with dinner and then go to sleep, I'd say go for it. Or if you don't drink because you don't enjoy any type of alcoholic beverage, I'd say don't drink.

#36 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,055 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 08:08 PM

Everyone has different risk tolerance. A quilty pleasure once and a while is good for the psyche.

#37 basho

• 774 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 09:10 PM

Somehow I imagined the ImmInst directors as pipe smokers. Except for Mind. He's definitely a cigar man. And maybe Shepard is more of the chewing tobacco type.

#38 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 09:20 PM

And maybe Shepard is more of the chewing tobacco type.

You grow one spiked mullet as a small child and the world never lets you forget.

#39 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 09:43 PM

Everyone has different risk tolerance.

That's so true. I love off-piste skiing in big mountains due to the immense aesthetic, kinesthetic and sensory pleasures it offers, but there are a lot of risks involved (avalanches, crevasses, cliffs, bad falls, collisions, serac falls, route-finding errors, getting lost in adverse weather etc.). Anyway, those risks can be controlled and the possible rewards are huge.

#40 resveratrol

• 340 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 10:47 PM

The way I see it is that if 7-14 cigars a week gives a 2% increase in all cause mortality, and the report says it even 'fails to show significance', 1 a week is very insignificant.

A can of cola looks to be more detrimental but taboo and lumping it in with cigarettes skews perception.

Yes, cola is also terrible. I avoid that at all costs too.

I'm sort of looking at it from the ultra-optimistic, best-of-all-possible-worlds "what if Aubrey De Grey and Ray Kurzweil both turn out to be right about everything" perspective, in which case I imagine myself on my 500th birthday, looking back on all the stupid things I did in my first century of life and wondering what the hell I was thinking. Small risks add up a lot more over long timespans.

#41 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 11:16 PM

I smoked 10 cigars a day for 10 years. I enjoy them. I smoke maybe 3 a week now.

I chew nicorettes, and you can chew a lot of them but nothing happens, but nothing can prepare you for a nice Cohiba Esplendido - no inhaling - you will almost pass out in the last stretch of the cigar!

It can't be good for you.

#42 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 11:28 PM

...but nothing can prepare you for a nice Cohiba Esplendido - no inhaling - you will almost pass out in the last stretch of the cigar!

It can't be good for you.

Now we're talking!

#43 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 07:14 PM

I am thinking of buying some cigars for my brother for a wedding present (he is getting married). Any suggestions on what to get?

#44 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 07:19 PM

I am thinking of buying some cigars for my brother for a wedding present (he is getting married). Any suggestions on what to get?

Lady Godiva chocolate cigars.

#45 Athanasios

• Topic Starter
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 07:41 PM

All in < $10 price range:

For a lite creamy buttery smoke (almost cake-like), check out Butera Royal Vintage
Posted Image
Just get the length/size you like (you can get big ones for looks but 4" ones would be enough tobacco for most)

For a cigar that is steaky, go for Rocky Patel Maduros (though they may be a bit rich...not in dollars). Either get 'The Edge' or 'Vintage 1990s'... the Ol' World Reserve is amazing but probably too rich for those that do not normally smoke. Rocky Patel also has one called Java that is chocolaty, which goes well with coffee.

Maybe others will give you more options.

#46 terrent

• 1 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:03 PM

Shepard, thank you for that. I like the way you think. In fact, I've shared this with some online friends, and joined the forum to let you know. Life isn't much of a life if you deny yourself things you want, just because they're unnecessary.

Also, regarding Clint Eastwood, I've found the cigars he smoked in the old westerns (Parodi). They're really not bad, although they are much cheaper because they're grown & made in Pennsylvania, and because of the dry-cured process (much different from the "fine" cigars we're used to seeing in humidors).

Here's a writeup:
http://www.smokemag....698/america.htm

:)
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#47 Ron Howard

• 1 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:24 PM

http://cancerres.aac.../37/12/4608.pdf

You could argue that the risk of 1-2 per day might be much less than 3-5, but there's also the risk of being mistaken for a Republican.

So true! If you are a Democrat, you of course smoke POT instead. Which explains so many things.

Edited by Ron Howard, 02 April 2013 - 04:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users