- - - - -

Weight vest or weight belt info?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 04:59 AM

Does anyone know anything about weight vests or weight belts for training purposes? (which are good ones, how much benefit there is is to them, etc.)

Alternatively (or perhaps in conjunction) what about ankle weights? I have used ankle weights in the past when running although not recently, but I have never used a vest or belt before. I didn't know if anyone had had any experience training with them, or any advice in general. I am thinking of purchasing at least one of the 3.

#2 pSimonKey

• 158 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 12:50 PM

I have read good things about the X-Vest.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 02:56 PM

I would go with the weight vest for general use. A good one will fit well and spread the load out evenly.

Ankle weights while running are a biomechanical nightmare. But, I wouldn't just toss on a 20-40lb vest and go running, either.

#4 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 04:38 PM

Definitely a vest. It is a good way to increase the difficulty of bodyweight exercises and drills. I bought mine from 'Training Zone Concepts' called the smart vest. It is exceptional but it took a while to get it to my door (had a backorder or something). I have also heard good things about the x-vest.

#5 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 07:31 PM

Ankle weights while running are a biomechanical nightmare.

Why is that? I used to use them sometimes when I ran track competitively, and my feet would always feel lighter when I took them off. You definitely have to get ones that don't flop around or anything and are snug fitting, but I do like the idea of a vest much better.

But, I wouldn't just toss on a 20-40lb vest and go running, either.

'
Most of the ones I have seen while googling about seem to let you add weight as you build up.

#6 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 07:32 PM

Definitely a vest.  It is a good way to increase the difficulty of bodyweight exercises and drills. I bought mine from 'Training Zone Concepts' called the smart vest.  It is exceptional but it took a while to get it to my door (had a backorder or something). I have also heard good things about the x-vest.

Do you use it a lot, Chris? If so, what weight do you train at? Does it cause any type of initial discomfort or anything I should be aware of?

#7 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 08:04 PM

Why is that? I used to use them sometimes when I ran track competitively, and my feet would always feel lighter when I took them off. You definitely have to get ones that don't flop around or anything and are snug fitting, but I do like the idea of a vest much better.

By putting the weight at the end of the leg, you're putting a large amount of force on soft tissues. Even with a vest, I'd move up slowly or start off with hiking or something at first to help prevent injury.

#8 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 08:07 PM

By putting the weight at the end of the leg, you're putting a large amount of force on soft tissues. Even with a vest, I'd move up slowly or start off with hiking or something at first to help prevent injury.

Hmm, I wonder if putting weight up higher (like around the knee?) would be better than around the ankle. The problem would probably be that it wouldn't stay in place as you ran and fall down.

#9 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 08:09 PM

Hmm, I wonder if putting weight up higher (like around the knee?) would be better than around the ankle. The problem would probably be that it wouldn't stay in place as you ran and fall down.

According to wikipedia, there are such things as "thigh weights": http://en.wikipedia....g#Thigh_weights
..and they are more effective due to being closer to the core/more accurately duplicating the fat storage mechanism of the body.

#10 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 08:24 PM

Ok, doing a search for weighted stuff while trying to do some research I came across this site:
http://www.uihealthc...s/exer3110.html

Part that had me surprised:

To improve your running speed, you may want to try wind sprints. Integrate wind sprints into your regular jog or run. Run faster than usual when sprinting for 3 to 5 minutes, then slow down to your normal jogging or running pace to recover for half of what the sprint time was. Repeat this 3 times. The principle is to go fast enough to get a little out of breath. Then return to the pre-sprint pace. Do wind sprints only once or twice a week, no more.

[:o] [:o] [:o]

3-5 minutes of sprinting?!?! I think most people would die from that. 20-30 seconds, maybe, but sprinting is going all out as fast as you can. If humans could sprint for 5 minutes straight, they could run close to 2 miles in that time. (world record for 1 mile being slightly under 4 minutes, and even world class athletes don't sprint the whole mile) I think by "sprinting" they probably mean "running slightly faster than you would normally".

#11 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 09:04 PM

Do you use it a lot, Chris? If so, what weight do you train at? Does it cause any type of initial discomfort or anything I should be aware of?

I use it quite a bit at different weight levels depending on the exercise. No discomfort but it feels a bit tight the first few times you wear it. It does not limit your movement in any way and doesnt shift.

#12 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 09:13 PM

I use it quite a bit at different weight levels depending on the exercise. No discomfort but it feels a bit tight the first few times you wear it. It does not limit your movement in any way and doesnt shift.

For running (for longer distances, anyway), I have seen some things that say you shouldn't go past 10% of your total body weight (and work your way up to that from 4% or so). For strength training (pushups, pullups, etc) you can bump it up quite a bit higher than that, though. (some people go up past 20-25%) Fireman evidently make it quite heavy but only for short distances, to simulate having a lot of weight on their back for emergency training.

#13 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 10:15 PM

For running (for longer distances, anyway), I have seen some things that say you shouldn't go past 10% of your total body weight (and work your way up to that from 4% or so). For strength training (pushups, pullups, etc) you can bump it up quite a bit higher than that, though. (some people go up past 20-25%) Fireman evidently make it quite heavy but only for short distances, to simulate having a lot of weight on their back for emergency training.

Ha. Try running long distance with 10% body weight vest, that would be more than enough...at least i have no desire to go beyond that. Yeah, I have increased weight gradually for adaption.

#14 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 10:33 PM

Ha. Try running long distance with 10% body weight vest, that would be more than enough...at least i have no desire to go beyond that. Yeah, I have increased weight gradually for adaption.

Yeah, 10% is what I have seen most places as the absolute maximum for long distance running. I'll probably start at a lot lower than that.

#15 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 10:39 PM

By the way, there have evidently been some studies showing an improvement in bone mass (decrease in the risk for osteoporosis), especially in women. (and more specifically older women) This occurs even if it is just added to a normal walking routine:

http://searchwarp.com/swa19719.htm
http://biomed.geront...stract/53/1/M53

There are even some weight vests that are especially made to fit women better. Just thought I would throw that in, because I found it interesting.

#16 icyT

• 326 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 January 2008 - 09:36 PM

I have read good things about the X-Vest.

Me too, I especially like how it supports the back.

#17 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 10:19 PM

Dragon ball z ;)

#18 icyT

• 326 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 January 2008 - 11:54 AM

Further information: http://en.wikipedia....ighted_clothing
Pay no mind at all to who created the article back in march 19, 2006 ;)

Edited by Tyciol, 31 January 2008 - 11:55 AM.

#19 chris_h

• 71 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 03:17 PM

Further information: http://en.wikipedia....ighted_clothing
Pay no mind at all to who created the article back in march 19, 2006 ;)

I use a weight belt while I do pullups and pushups.

#20 icyT

• 326 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 February 2008 - 09:18 AM

Cool, I don't, unweighted is still plenty tough for me ;)

Btw your name creeps me out...

#21 NickC11

• 13 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 10:10 PM

Personally, I think ankle weights are great in moderation. As long as you wear thick socks or find another way to support them, and make sure they aren't too heavy, they shouldn't damage your legs much. I usually don't use ankle weights for running, but use them for jump rope. Perhaps a weighted shoe would be better? Any thoughts?

btw, Chris Hansen? :)

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#22 porthose

• 107 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 08:26 AM

how about you guys put on a vest at 5% to 10% of body weight do repetition rounds of snatches and/or clean & jerks. that will get ya!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users