- - - - -

CR: Sir2 and Autophagy

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 icyT

• 326 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 October 2007 - 05:43 PM

Many health-related reasons have caused CR to be lauded, and one of them is the activation of the Sir2 gene and it's resulting effects on the body. What I am wondering, is if this relates to the autophagy that results from it (and other fasting) as well, or if they are independant. I know Sir2 has lipolytic effects, so would that affect the lysosomic recycling of cellular organelles? I am not familiar enough with lypolytic processes or autophagy to know if they are linked in any way.

Basically, due to disliking CR and fasting, many have been saying things like 'take resveratrol' which also stimulates Sir2 as a substitute for fasting. But if a large benefit is due to the autophagy, and resveratrol did not cause that, then people would be going down the wrong trail, and only getting a part of the benefits associated with CR, under the impression they're getting them all.

#2 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 07:11 PM

Has anyone actually been under the impression that resveratrol (or any supplement) is going to fully mimic the effects of CR?

#3 lucid

• 1,195 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 01:16 AM

Resveratrol skips a step in CR mimicing. It does not significantly change NAD+ production and therefore does not increase Sirtuin levels(I haven't found lots of confirmation of this however this is the MOA described in the sinclair papers), and instead increases the km of Sirt2 binding to its histone substrate and NAD+ molecules.

Due to the fact that resveratrol acts on the km of sirtuin activity and CR will regulate the ammount of sirtuins available as well as the ammount of NAD+ available as a cofactor, it seems to be reasonable that resveratrol and CR's effects multiply geometrically. This could easily lead to 'too much CR' as seen in studies combining CR and Resveratrol.

Edited by lucid, 31 October 2007 - 01:43 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users