Photo
- - - - -

Water and Hiking around rivers

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 meatwad

• 196 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 07:21 AM

Many questions. I hope this will bounce off someone so I can hear a different side to my reality.

A) I have a car cigarette lighter inverter and plug in wok.
I boil fast moving river water for 30 minutes.

2A) My Lake river water is disgusting.
If I had to boil it 30 minutes what are the

I) common illness causing organisms that would survive roiling boiling for 30 minutes
II) What type of water purification tablets can you drink for long periods of time without suffering side effects? Or better yet, is there anything that metabolizes to something harmless or even positive?

----

I will test every batch after I get the tablets to determine when I can actually drink my disgusting lake water. It would be nice to be able to supply several hundreds of people with very clean water.

Edited by meatwad, 24 November 2007 - 07:31 AM.

#2 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,074 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 09:16 AM

I can't say with 100% certainty that everything is killed after 30 minutes of boiling, butI had never had any trouble when I only boil water for 10 minutes (maybe I should be going longer).

Also, filtering can remove more pathogens and make it taste a little better.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 November 2007 - 12:08 PM

This is a link I have on the subject, but it's partially Dutch.....
Seems to be a U.S. based brand though, so some googling would provide some readable info.
I also remember reading a test of similar devices in a Dutch magazine, but I do not have any links to that.

No practical experience with things like this lately.

#4 meatwad

• Topic Starter
  • 196 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 04:49 PM

Well, I am interested in the UV light sterilizing item (I AM NOT going to whore the brand, overpriced)

I would like to find a water purification UV light or pill. I will agar plate out a bunch of prepared samples and see whats left.

99.999% of protozoa huh? So which was the .001% that survived?

Conversely, I am interested in drinking water that has the solutes of dead bacteria, viruses, and protozoa. I believe that
it may make the water even more 'healthy' than that of regular value.

For example: a baby consumes a completely mineral/solute-free water. Result: Death.

I'd like to bounce this idea one more time off someone.
Thank you

Edited by meatwad, 24 November 2007 - 05:01 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 November 2007 - 11:11 PM

nutribiotic makes a citricidal (stabilized grapefruit seed extract) based product meant for purifying drinking water... its bitter, but my understanding is that its about as potent as bleach as far as its antimicrobial activity.
http://store.nutribi...roductspec?9999

Edited by ajnast4r, 24 November 2007 - 11:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users