my workout regimen

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 December 2007 - 09:48 PM

ive gone from 142lbs to 164lbs over the course of 8 months, while decreasing bodyfat... so i think my regimen is pretty solid as far as building mass, im just getting a little bored..

any input or recommendations to spice up my workouts are welcome :-D

all my exercises are done in sets of 3 w/ increasingly heavy weights... first set to 12 reps, second set to 8 reps, third set to fail
other than squats & deads... 45-60 seconds rest between sets, sometimes less.

i will throw ab/core workouts in every other day... weighted crunches, swiss ball crunches, wheel crunches, extensions etc
i also run 1or 2 days per week during the warm months... cant bring myself to run on a treadmill

day 1) chest, tris,

incine dumbbell bench
machine flys
switch weekly between: decline and flat dumbbell bench

switch weekly between: flat and decline closed grip bench
cable push downs
overhead rope pushes
dips

day 2) legs

squats
calf raises
varying machine raises if i can

day 3) bis, back

EZ curl
seated hammer curls
incline dumbbell curls

wide grip pull ups
t-bar rows
deadlift

rest 1, sometimes 2 days if i feel i need it. and repeat

Edited by ajnast4r, 30 December 2007 - 10:06 PM.

#2 sentinel

• Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 06:03 PM

I can't believe nobody got back to you on your thread, we/re such self-obsessed @rseholes!
That's great progress BTW, I'm on a lean bulk myself which is doing extremely well in just 2 weeks , but back to you.

I you are not looking to change the workout radically (ie 300 straining with tractor tyres yada..) then why not reverse you weights to regressive. This is quite an old technique but one I find more natural. It tends to work better with the Push/Pull format you have. Instead of starting with a low weight and building up to your max, just perform 1 warm up set with a moderate weight then go straight for a weight you can handle for 5-6 reps (this will take a little experimentation at first) then drop the weight and depending if you want to go 5-5-5, or 5-8-12, drop the appropriate poundage accordingly. Performing the next pull/or push exercise is easier as they will be pretty well warmed up from the previous sets, so perhaps just let the joints go through the motions in a very light warm up set, rather than draining any energy you might use on that first all out set.

Bottom line if you use your heaviest weight first it will be more than your heaviest weight which you normally use last. Obvious. This is good for both pushing the muscle tissue to handle a greater level of weight and has a nice side of bumping your ego a bit!

Just a thought for now.

Sentinel

ive gone from 142lbs to 164lbs over the course of 8 months, while decreasing bodyfat... so i think my regimen is pretty solid as far as building mass, im just getting a little bored..

any input or recommendations to spice up my workouts are welcome :-D

all my exercises are done in sets of 3 w/ increasingly heavy weights... first set to 12 reps, second set to 8 reps, third set to fail
other than squats & deads... 45-60 seconds rest between sets, sometimes less.

i will throw ab/core workouts in every other day... weighted crunches, swiss ball crunches, wheel crunches, extensions etc
i also run 1or 2 days per week during the warm months... cant bring myself to run on a treadmill

day 1) chest, tris,

incine dumbbell bench
machine flys
switch weekly between: decline and flat dumbbell bench

switch weekly between: flat and decline closed grip bench
cable push downs
overhead rope pushes
dips

day 2) legs

squats
calf raises
varying machine raises if i can

day 3) bis, back

EZ curl
seated hammer curls
incline dumbbell curls

wide grip pull ups
t-bar rows
deadlift

rest 1, sometimes 2 days if i feel i need it. and repeat

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 buck1s

• 86 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 06:32 PM

I know what you mean about getting bored. I added some interesting things like dumbell snatches, clean/presses, and swings. Just as much for the conditioning as for whole body strength. I like to do some of my chest work one dumbell at a time now, too. Really works the core at the same time. I weigh about 160 and it makes my whole body contract to press one 85 lb db, lying on a bench, with nothing in the opposite hand. I've also added in some plyometric push ups.

I've dropped just about every single muscle group exercise I ever did. No more curling or tricep pushdowns. Just dips, pull-ups, etc. Seems my biceps and triceps will come along for the ride w/o any special attention.

Edited by buck1s, 22 January 2008 - 06:33 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 07:19 PM

If I were to modify the program:

I'd lower rep range and begin doing sets across.
I'd move away from bodypart splits.
I do some variation of squatting, pulling from the ground, and putting weight overhead 3x/week, but I've decided that either my recovery ability is above average or I'm a little crazy.
I know I've harped on my anti-failure viewpoint many times. I think it's only useful on certain exercises or for certain applications (DC).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users