- - - - -

Inversion Therapy

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Alpha-Frequency

• 96 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 02:23 AM

Hello,

I have been using an inversion table for the past 2 years with AMAZING, life enhancing results. I meditate upside down for upwards to 30 min every morning on an empty stomach- I also do sit ups inverted with great results. after going on the inversion table I feel like I have just taken the most powerful nootropic possible. The brain runs 14 percent faster inverted. It also makes you taller, more flexible. You feel like you have a new body.
Does anyone else here use an inversion table and do you have any advice?
Hell Noir

#2 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 02:47 AM

How does it make you taller? How much have you grown?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 MP11

• 121 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 03:01 AM

How does it make you taller? How much have you grown?

It probably only decompresses the spine.

I've thought about using one before but never got around to it. How much did you pay for yours?

#4 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:31 AM

I've used an inversion table on and off for years. Mostly just because I took a really hard hit in football (cheap shot during practice) that has left me with spinal issues from time to time. It helps every once in a while when I have any issues.

#5 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:27 AM

Hello,

I have been using an inversion table for the past 2 years with AMAZING, life enhancing results. I meditate upside down for upwards to 30 min every morning on an empty stomach- I also do sit ups inverted with great results. after going on the inversion table I feel like I have just taken the most powerful nootropic possible. The brain runs 14 percent faster inverted. It also makes you taller, more flexible. You feel like you have a new body.
Hell Noir

This has interested me since seeing it as a young lad. Does anyone have any good links regarding their set-up? Is this just doorway styles?

#6 Alien65

• 115 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:32 AM

I have had an inversion table for six weeks. A chiropractor broke my back about 30 years ago, have suffered since and lost 3" in height. I am starting to feel relief and actually scrubbed my bathtub on my hands and knees for the first time in years without pain. I have also increased in height by 1.5" and my hair is growing like weeds.
When inverted, I exercise with light weight dumbbells but still can't twist or do sit ups.
It is a wonderful thing and may contribute more to life extension than any supplement.

Edited by Alien65, 08 January 2008 - 06:35 AM.

• like x 1

#7 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:40 AM

Does anyone have any good links regarding their set-up? Is this just doorway styles?

Mine is a table like this:

http://www.teeterhangups.com/home.html

#8 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:21 AM

I got one a while back for $60 off Craigslist. So far my roommate uses it more than me and plans to get his own when he moves out.

#9 porthose

• 107 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 10:49 AM

i would love to get one as well but the cost...

a cheaper alternative and one ive been doing for years is the spine decompression exercise where you simply hang off a bar with your hands about shoulder width apart. it helps if your feet are clear off the ground. you can also hang with hands together or double shoulder width apart etc.

an important technique to understand with spine decompression is the contrast between full body tension and complete relaxation. you simply breath in deeply and while holding the breath you then tense the whole body as tightly as you can without pulling yourself up for 2-3sec and then you exhale while completely relaxing and letting yourself get longer. repeat for as many times as possible.

its a great exercise (fantastic after deadlifts) but of course you don't get the benefits of bloodflow to the brain with inversion. maybe you could try the tension relaxation contrast on the inversion table and report results..?

#10 david ellis

• 1,014 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 January 2008 - 02:48 PM

I use it for improving my posture and getting rid of pain. The use is infrequent, maybe 2-3 weeks every couple of years. I am always glad to have it when back and neck pain come back. Hanging upside down to loosen things up seems to make posture correction easier.

Right now I am working on a posture correction program By Pete Egoscue(see Amazon). My daughter had uneven hips caused by injury to her foot. She has spent years trying to find a way to straighten out her hips and foot strike. Pete Egoscue has straightened her posture out, her hips, shoulders, knees, and ankles are all square with each other.

Pete Egoscue is a low tech guy, just takes your pictures with a plumb bob in front of the body's center. Then he draws lines on the photo to find out how square the body is. One of her high tech doctors had video software that created a stick figure of her body in motion. Very impressive, expensive high tech, but no help.

Pete Egoscue has a different take than chiropractors - He says "Bones don't move muscles, muscles move bones". So his method is exercise therapy in contrast to chiropractic joint adjustment. Pete Egoscue also feels that arthritis is overdiagnosed. He thinks the logic seems to be "arthritis causes joint pain - so all joint pain is arthritis." He thinks most joint pain is due to misalignment. One of his books is called "Pain Free".

I am very thankful that my wife doesn't object to the inversion table in the corner of the bedroom. And I am always thankful I have it when back pain returns.

ps-Inversion situps were easy this time. Going to the gym works.

Hello,

Hell Noir

#11 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 05:24 PM

I have an inversion table, the one Shepard linked to by teeter. It helps with my back issues (I have slight scoliosis). I never really considered it a life extension or nootropic device though and I have only used it when the pain gets bad... Maybe I should give it a try as an everyday thing and see what the results are.

BTW, Hell Noir, do you meditate in a fully inverted position (perpendicular to the floor) for 30 min? An eye doctor I know said that more than a few minutes in this position could cause an increase in intraoccular pressure that might cause problems along with the potential for hemorrhages even in the brain. I dont know if this is true or not but that is what he said.

Tell me more about your 30 min meditation routine.

#12 nushu

• 247 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 04:52 PM

Just found an older Teeter on Craigslist for $25, hopefully it's not sold yet. I've always liked the mental clarity I experience after doing a head stand.

#13 Alpha-Frequency

• Topic Starter
  • 96 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 11:52 PM

Hello,

I take a hot shower, take my supplements (greens plus, citicoline, huperzine-A, green tea/tumeric, tyrosine etc...) and then hang inverted with binaural beats audio entrainment. I raise my ass muscles up to get a full body stretch. I also stretch from side to side. Then I go on a jog, come back and lift weights. The sensation of weight training with excellent posture as a result of using the table is indescribable. It's something you get used to and initially YES there is pressure in the head, however by the 3rd or 4th day the pressure is GONE and you can go for extended periods. Hippocrates called this "inversion therapy" if I read correctly.

H/N

#14 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 01:25 AM

My dad swears by inversion therapy--he ruptured a disk in his spine when he was in his thirties, and has been an avid fan of hanging ever since. I've tried it, but disliked the pressure in my head--I suppose that goes away with time. I do think if I ever had back pain, I would start using one. It may make you 'taller' temporarily--not to grow any taller, but just stretched out. Hard to tell on my father as he is 5'11'', but he has always been tall--I've seen no difference after his hanging. He also does handstands and walks around on his hands to amuse the children.

#15 Alien65

• 115 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 08:04 AM

If you are a rocker (as in rocking chair) or like to swing in the park or ride upside down in carnival rides then the inversion table is for you. The key is not to just hang upside down but keep the platform moving. I put on some 80's rock, crab a set of 5 lb dumbbells, lock in and ride. Just a slight movement with the dumbells will swing the table. Natural high for me!

#16 liorrh

• Guest, F@H
  • 388 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 12:16 PM

any reaserch on that>?

#17 TianZi

• 519 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 06:34 AM

any reaserch on that>?

Seconded. This thread lacks any persuasive value to the extent the opinions expressed herein supporting inversion therapy are not supported by studies published in leading scientific journals.

#18 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 03:44 PM

I highly doubt there is any research on this; just like there isn't much worthwhile research when it comes to any type of exercise or recovery methods.

#19 TianZi

• 519 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 05:59 PM

I highly doubt there is any research on this; just like there isn't much worthwhile research when it comes to any type of exercise or recovery methods.

As you know, there are any thousands of studies evidencing the benefits of aerobic and anaerobic exercise generally. Simply hanging upside down doesn't fit in either category, though.

#20 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 09:24 PM

Sure, there are plenty of studies on exercise in general (quality is lacking in plenty, also). Exercise is a hormetic activity...so does hanging upside down cause a type of stress? I don't know, I see no reason to argue for or against it. For use in recovery it's pretty much a no-brainer if you enjoy it...since basically any activity that you find relaxing or enjoyable will help with recovery.
  • like x 1

#21 icyT

• 326 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 January 2008 - 12:19 AM

I meditate upside down for upwards to 30 min every morning

How long did it take you to work up to this? How do you time yourself to control the length of your inversion to keep it within safe parameters? One often loses track of time while meditating. Do you use an egg timer?

on an empty stomach

I guess this makes sense, since food would get pulled in the direction of the esophagus. However, I think inverting after a meal of heavy food would necessitate a tight contraction of the esophagus muscles to keep it from coming back up again (or from your stomach acid burning it like vomiting) so perhaps it is like bodybuilding for your esophagus. This is interesting since there are obviously no skeletal exercises for such smooth internal muscles.

I also do sit ups inverted with great results.

They do look more challenging in the contracted position, both for the abdominals and the hip flexors. I would still perform them normall on the ground (and the intermediate, the decline bench) as to work them harder in the stretched position, which is also very important. Back bending is also something to consider, as this stretches them even more than being inverted (of course, this does not account for the stretch from spinal traction, which may make up for the indirect angle).

after going on the inversion table I feel like I have just taken the most powerful nootropic possible.

How much better is it compared to the natural high you get from exercising in other ways? I was also wondering, how much do you think is due to inversion, and do you think some of the feeling may be associated with the feeling of spinal traction/decompression/stretching? I can't help but think this is partially responsible. Other forms of inversion that do not decompress the entire spine would be hanging by your arms (shoulders extended not flexed overhead), handstand, and headstand. The first two (not headstand) do decompress the cervical (neck) vertebrae though, so that may be responsible. I expect since it is the region of spine most near the brain it has a larger effect. Also compare it to bar hanging with shoulders flexed (overhead) as this would allow you to view spinal decompression (except for cervical, which is compressed akin to standing) in isolation without the effect of inversion. Comparing these different things with some sort of measurable biofeedback of your described 'nootropic feeling' would be pretty interesting don't you think?

The brain runs 14 percent faster inverted.

I would be interested in this study. I am thinking the effect would tend to vary person to person.

It also makes you taller, more flexible. You feel like you have a new body. Does anyone else here use an inversion table and do you have any advice?

The increase in height is mostly temporary due to decompression of the inter-spinal discs. The flexibility thing may be true, you can do some excellent static-active stretches (a very beneficial form of stretching) while hanging and undergoing traction which can't be done while standing or even lying down. I'm sure it does feel really great to get the weight of the world off your shoulders, even if you must shift it to your anterior tibiliases.

#22 TianZi

• 519 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 08:36 AM

Sure, there are plenty of studies on exercise in general (quality is lacking in plenty, also). Exercise is a hormetic activity...so does hanging upside down cause a type of stress? I don't know, I see no reason to argue for or against it. For use in recovery it's pretty much a no-brainer if you enjoy it...since basically any activity that you find relaxing or enjoyable will help with recovery.

Per the Mayo Clinic, there is no scientific evidence that inversion therapy has any significant value in providing long-term pain relief. Studies of traction therapy such as inversion have found *NO* significant long-term benefits. Besides that, persons with high blood pressure and certain diseases place themselves at risk by performing inversion therapy. And the results of accidentally taking a nose dive while struggling to extricate oneself from this position wouldn't be pretty.

http://www.mayoclini...therapy/AN01614

Edited by TianZi, 30 January 2008 - 05:13 PM.

#23 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 02:56 PM

Per the Mayo Clinic, there is no scientific evidence that inversion therapy has any significant value in providing long-term pain relief. Studies of traction therapy such as inversion have found *NO* significant long-term benefits.

I'll certainly buy that. The Mayo link admits many find short term pain relief, and that's all one could hope for on something like this.

Besdies that, persons with high blood pressure and certain diseases place themselves at risk by performing inversion therapy. And the results of accidentally taking a nose dive while struggling to extricate oneself from this position wouldn't be pretty.

Certainly, going out to get the mail isn't risk-free.

#24 icyT

• 326 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 January 2008 - 08:12 PM

Per the Mayo Clinic, there is no scientific evidence that inversion therapy has any significant value in providing long-term pain relief. Studies of traction therapy such as inversion have found *NO* significant long-term benefits. Besides that, persons with high blood pressure and certain diseases place themselves at risk by performing inversion therapy. And the results of accidentally taking a nose dive while struggling to extricate oneself from this position wouldn't be pretty.

http://www.mayoclini...therapy/AN01614

There haven't been many studies done. Studies surrounding things like pain relief are all conceptual anyway. For example, no one is saying to do it alone, and we don't know if the people using inversion were using complementary things like good nutrition or sleep, because obviously it can't improve your tissue integrity without these. The logic is pretty simple, if a disc slips out of alignment, traction will suck it back into alignment so long as the ligaments (even if damaged or stretched) possess the integrity to hold the spine together. If your spine snaps, it won't work, but short of that, it will pull into a straight line directly below each other as an aspect of gravity.

Disease risks are mentioned in such discussions and are irrelevant to people who don't have them. Besides which, gradual progress causes adaptations to the stress which probably help issues like high blood pressure. Obviously doing it too much causes problems though, it functions like exercise in general in this regard.

I don't see how you would have any risk of falling accidentally. You are strapped into the table, and right yourself easily by putting your arms at your side (shoulder extension. When you've locked the table into an upright position, you remove your ankles from the clamps. There's no risk of falling.

#25 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 03:42 AM

ah um

J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 1989 Dec;29(4):346-57.Links
Cardiorespiratory and hemodynamic responses to inversion and inversion with sit-ups.
Boone T, Johns K.

Eighteen men were studied during 15 minutes of inversion to determine the effects of 4 sit-ups per minute for 5 minutes on the cardiorespiratory system. Systolic blood pressure, diastolic blood pressure, ventilation, oxygen uptake, and METS increased significantly from preinversion/standing (A) to inversion (B). Arterial blood pressure increased from 122/81 mmHg to 142/99 mmHg during the first 5 minutes of inversion. Oxygen uptake increased from 341 ml.min-1 to 456 ml.min-1. Heart rate decreased significantly from (A) to (B). Double product, frequency of breaths, and tidal volume were not significantly changed from (A) to (B). Blood pressure, double product, ventilation, frequency of breaths, oxygen uptake, and METS increased significantly from the first 5 minutes of inversion (B) to the second 5 minutes of inversion with sit-ups ©. Arterial blood pressure increased from 142/99 mmHg (B) to 163/104 mmHg ©. The diastolic value remained significantly increased following the muscle strengthening exercise. Double product increased from 104 (B) to 126 ©, and oxygen uptake increased from 456 ml.min-1 (B) to 565 ml.min-1 ©. Following inversion/sit-ups ©, oxygen uptake decreased significantly during the third 5 minutes of inversion (D). Systolic blood pressure was also significantly decreased at (D) following the sit-ups. Upon returning to the standing position (E) versus the third 5 minutes of inversion (D), arterial blood pressure decreased significantly from 151/108 mmHg (D) to 123/84 mmHg (E). The postinversion/standing (E) blood pressure was nonsignificantly different from the preinversion/standing (A) blood pressure as was also the case with heart rate, double product, and tidal volume. Ventilation, frequency of breaths, oxygen uptake, and METS were still significantly increased during (E) versus (A). These data illustrate the influence of muscular exercise on the cardiorespiratory system during full -90 degree inversion. The increase in blood pressure is no cause for concern, and the assumed dangerous effects of full inversion have been overestimated.

PMID: 2628633 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

but their has been one case study that I know of about one man who had an abnormal blood clotting problem

Clin Appl Thromb Hemost. 2007 Dec 26 [Epub ahead of print]Click here to read Links
Bilateral Subdural Hematomas in an Adult With Hereditary Factor VII Deficiency: A Complication of Sit-ups and Inversion?
Barton JC, Bertoli LF, O'Malley S.

Brookwood Medical Center.

A 57-year-old man of northern Italian and Polish descent with a late-onset, mild form of hereditary factor VII deficiency developed bilateral intracranial subdural hematomas after performing sit-ups while he was in a head-down position on an inversion table. The pertinence of the Valsalva maneuver and increased intracranial venous and intraocular pressure associated with sit-ups and other exercises in the causation of subdural hematomas and other types of intracranial and ocular hemorrhage are discussed in this study.

PMID: 18160563 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

#26 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 05:59 AM

ah um

The increase in blood pressure is no cause for concern, and the assumed dangerous effects of full inversion have been overestimated.

but their has been one case study that I know of about one man who had an abnormal blood clotting problem

Clin Appl Thromb Hemost. 2007 Dec 26 [Epub ahead of print]Click here to read Links
Bilateral Subdural Hematomas in an Adult With Hereditary Factor VII Deficiency: A Complication of Sit-ups and Inversion?
A 57-year-old man of northern Italian and Polish descent with a late-onset, mild form of hereditary factor VII deficiency developed bilateral intracranial subdural hematomas after performing sit-ups while he was in a head-down position on an inversion table. The pertinence of the Valsalva maneuver and increased intracranial venous and intraocular pressure associated with sit-ups and other exercises in the causation of subdural hematomas and other types of intracranial and ocular hemorrhage are discussed in this study.

Hmm. About 25 years ago I tried an inversion device, and although I didn't feel bad, my friends who were watching me got really alarmed and insisted I stop immediately. Apparently my whole head had turned a deep red color that was pretty scary looking. Some kind of Lucifer thing? It did seem kind of worrisome. I've not tried that since, although I do all kinds of wacky physical stuff without any problems. Even inclined sit-ups with the board as high as it goes.

#27 Alien65

• 115 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 06:56 AM

ah um

The increase in blood pressure is no cause for concern, and the assumed dangerous effects of full inversion have been overestimated.

Hmm. About 25 years ago I tried an inversion device, and although I didn't feel bad, my friends who were watching me got really alarmed and insisted I stop immediately. Apparently my whole head had turned a deep red color that was pretty scary looking. Some kind of Lucifer thing? It did seem kind of worrisome. I've not tried that since, although I do all kinds of wacky physical stuff without any problems. Even inclined sit-ups with the board as high as it goes.

The nice thing about an inversion table is that you can control the maximum angle of inversion and gradually adjust to full inversion. It is also recommended to keep the table moving by swinging your arms.

#28 icyT

• 326 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 February 2008 - 09:22 AM

That's 'oscillation' they call it I think. It sounds very nice.

#29 liorrh

• Guest, F@H
  • 388 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 11:04 AM

I have a whole book about recovery research. (restoration and massage in sports by mell siff)

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 02:10 PM

I have a whole book about recovery research. (restoration and massage in sports by mell siff)

I haven't read the book, but I trust it's quality if it's by Siff.

I meant that it's such an individualized thing, both in recovery ability and what works, you can't focus on a plan that should or should not work on paper, but have to apply certain principles. I imagine Siff says the same if this is written like Supertraining Since it's an area where the psychological effects are so powerful, the athlete's approach seems more important than anything else.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users