Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

idea st johns wort prevents heart disease

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 treonsverdery

• 1,312 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 05:27 AM

upregulate the CYP3A4 liver enzymes that scrub all steroids as well as cholesterol from the blood; measure the effect on atherosclerosis as well as cardiac related death
The herb St johns wort raises CYP3A4 2/5
the cerebroprotective ischemia drug and discussed nootropic phenytoin raises CYP3A4

perhaps this will have effects like statins that reduce cholesterol as well as cardiac related deaths

Now here's the idea:
either of these materials are predicted to reduce cholesterol, atherosclerosis as well as cardiac related deaths

Amazingly there are zero papers at pubmed.org with search items [atherosclerosis, CYP3A4] or [cardiac, CYP3A4] that talk about how the amount of this liver enzyme affects atherosclerosis or heart disease; it's like researchers were studying "the kitchen sink" dids lots of research on faucets n sponges but did zero research on the size of the drain, or the effect of a bigger drain

update:
there is a review article that describes this idea at http://www.ncbi.nlm....Pubmed_RVDocSum Several compounds induce P450 and other genes regulating cholesterol balance and prevent or regress atherosclerosis

funny: prior to finding the review article I thought that if a person want to write a great med school app or do something that rapidly confers full professor status it would be studying if more liver CYP3A4 means less heart disease; I think it went well with the reviewer

there is a powerful idea that goes with the proven validity of the upregulation of liver enzymes to prevent or regress atherosclerosis

any immunization that creates immune response to the body's CYP3A4 minimizers may amplify CYP3A4 creating less atherosclerosis; a heart disease vaccine

Edited by treonsverdery, 23 January 2008 - 07:22 PM.

#2 treonsverdery

• Topic Starter
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 08:56 AM

all that with St Johns wort is cardiac friendly ECG http://www.ncbi.nlm....Pubmed_RVDocSum but a significant reduction of such pathological findings under treatment with hypericum extract. It should be emphasized that this favorable feature of safe cardiac activity was achieved with 1800 mg of hypericum extract The main components of St John's Wort inhibit low-density lipoprotein atherogenic modification: a beneficial "side effect" of an OTC antidepressant drug http://www.ncbi.nlm....Pubmed_RVDocSum The results indicate that the derivatives found in Hypericum perforatum have possible antiatherogenic potential

Edited by treonsverdery, 23 January 2008 - 05:54 PM.

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Eternal Life

• 62 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 09:05 PM

I strongly felt that it is really an important event to prevent heart disease, my aunt's husband has been killed by heart attack two days before.
Also I want to ask in what ways do these enzymes reduce the amount of cholesterol in blood vessels?

sponsored ad

• Advert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users