• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 07:48 PM

Might be of some interest:

http://scienceofspor...old-part-i.html

I like this blog, and they had a series on running economy back in December that's worth reading if you're into that.

Edited by shepard, 25 January 2008 - 07:48 PM.

#2 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 07:57 PM

Thanks. I had not seen this blog before but it will now be in my list.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 08:06 PM

That's a great article. Thanks, Shep.

#4 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 09:49 PM

I think I bragged about it in another thread but during holidays I visited a cryotherapy chamber - 3 minutes in -110C in swimming trunks! That was cold, but not nearly as bad as dipping into 0-degree water.

#5 icyT

• 326 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 January 2008 - 08:44 PM

I checked this out when I saw it linked in your profile, really informative. There was this one special called 'living super heroes' or something like that, which was basically about extraordinary humans. It had Kurzweil in it, and this guy who could survive cold really well. He had frostbite in his feet from running a barefoot marathon on ice, but when they were going to amputate it it had recovered or something like that, it was really odd.

Of course the downer of the program was when they featured ones of these... kinesthetes? Or whatever they're called who see colours when they hear sounds or something like that. Not that such an ability isn't beautiful or extraordinary, but it's really based in testimony, as I don't know how you'd objectively test something like that. When the ability is so inconsistant between individuals (they see different colours for the same sound) it makes you even more suspicious.

#6 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 08:51 PM

Of course the downer of the program was when they featured ones of these... kinesthetes? Or whatever they're called who see colours when they hear sounds or something like that. Not that such an ability isn't beautiful or extraordinary, but it's really based in testimony, as I don't know how you'd objectively test something like that. When the ability is so inconsistant between individuals (they see different colours for the same sound) it makes you even more suspicious.

That's synesthesia where people's sensory modalities mix. Of course the "ability" is inconsistent as everyone's wiring is different..

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 icyT

• 326 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 January 2008 - 11:49 AM

Yeah I didn't say the inconsistancy proved it didn't exist, just that it made it more difficult to prove (if possible at all) since you couldn't do anything like record a specific colour for a specific sound and if people matched that then they had it. That might not hold up anyway since once it did start matching consistantly word would spread and people could fake it. The best way's probably to measure brain activity and see if it lights up in the visual cortex, heck someone's probably done that they just didn't show it on the show.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users