Photo
- - - - -

2 sets vs. 3+ sets

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 02:02 PM

What's your opinion on the subject? I've bumped into articles that claim 2 sets per movement is enough for most, depending of course on one's goals and lifting career. I like the idea on going into the gym during lunch-break, doing two sets of squats or deadlifts and getting out in less than 15 minutes.

#2 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 03:50 PM

What's your opinion on the subject? I've bumped into articles that claim 2 sets per movement is enough for most, depending of course on one's goals and lifting career. I like the idea on going into the gym during lunch-break, doing two sets of squats or deadlifts and getting out in less than 15 minutes.

What rep range? For what purpose? Training history, load used, frequency, etc. are going to factor into this, too.

That said, a lot of people can get hung up too much on hitting certain 2x15/3x8/5x5/whatever and ultimately what's more important is the amount of weight moved in a proper manner. Basically I would use rep ranges to help prevent injury and not much more.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 platypus

• Topic Starter
  • 2,386 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 04:16 PM

What rep range? For what purpose? Training history, load used, frequency, etc. are going to factor into this, too.

That said, a lot of people can get hung up too much on hitting certain 2x15/3x8/5x5/whatever and ultimately what's more important is the amount of weight moved in a proper manner. Basically I would use rep ranges to help prevent injury and not much more.

Purpose would be building functional muscle / strength for other sports, and gaining some muscle mass. I need strength for downhill-skiing in a couple of weeks time and have been aiming to 2 sets of 2-10 reps in both squats and deadlifts since the start of the year. So far so good, I'm getting results but don't know how they will help me on the mountains - anyway I'm in better shape for skiing than one year ago. Is doing less sets/reps with more intensity a good approach? It seems to work for aerobic/anaerobic training as I'm also doing some interval training on the elliptical. I'm trying to do some sports almost every day now before the skiing season, every third day being the one I do mostly interval training (I don't want to be on the elliptical on the next day after squats).

Edited by platypus, 29 January 2008 - 04:17 PM.

#4 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 04:33 PM

For big exercises, I'd certainly keep % high. You don't keep gaining strength on the main movements forever without adding in some other things, and on assistance/supplemental exercisese it's not as important to move as much weight as possible. You have to keep a balance, however. Doing 3x3 bench followed by 1x10 rows is going to lead to an injury sooner or later.

#5 platypus

• Topic Starter
  • 2,386 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 04:45 PM

For big exercises, I'd certainly keep % high. You don't keep gaining strength on the main movements forever without adding in some other things, and on assistance/supplemental exercisese it's not as important to move as much weight as possible. You have to keep a balance, however. Doing 3x3 bench followed by 1x10 rows is going to lead to an injury sooner or later.

Due to a slight problem with my shoulder I'm a bit limited at the moment (cannot really do bench presses or chinups). Currently I'm doing mostly:

Squats
Deadlifts
Lunges
Dips
Dumbbell pullovers
Dumbbell bent over rows
Biceps curls with a barbell
Situps and leg raises

What am I missing? I'm more interested in compound than isolation exercises.

#6 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 04:58 PM

Some depend on what your shoulder will allow. Various methods of overhead pressing are always good. I like mixing up squats, along with some power movements (cleans, snatches, or speed deadlifts). Plenty of other things, you can mix it up.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 icyT

• 326 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 January 2008 - 08:39 PM

It really does depend on your goals, 1 or 100 sets are really not good or bad. They'll have different effects. As mentioned, how many reps are a factor. Also, there is the length of each rep, the time between sets, what is done between the sets (rest, food, complimentary exercises?) too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users