• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo

Simulation argument - unethical?

• Please log in to reply
186 replies to this topic

#31 basho

• 774 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:16 PM

I think that the simulation argument is rather illogical... Why I think it's nonsense:

a.) the computational power to run a real-life universe simulation would require unimaginable resources and, if I may add, room (on condition the simulation simulates every elementary particle in the universe plus quantum phenomenon) because the "computer" would be forced to engrasp the universe it resides but that is unfortunately a paradox

Only if you are running the simulation within the same simulation, trying to reproduce the environment with the same fidelity.

b.) unless the future humans are complete morons in economics, they should understand that if they wished to run any tests or experiments, a non-simulated world would be greatly more cost-efficient (for example create a supercomputer that solves every given problem). Personally I can't imagine any scenario which would entail running an experiment in a simulation (such as our world) to "find anything out".

We already run simulations because they are far more cost efficient or safe. Car crash testing for example... its far cheaper to crash thousands of simulated cars. And nuclear weapon testing is safer in simulation. And then there are things like simulations of supernova. I'd prefer a simulation in such a case.

c.) ...because it's empirically and practically impossible to correlate neuronal phenomenon to actual thoughts and feelings which renders the possibility of ever creating an humanlike AI futile.

Thoughts and feelings have been empirically and practically correlated with the neuronal underpinnings. For example, during brain surgery, poking and stimulating different parts of the brain elicits very specific memories and feelings from the patient.

d.) history has shown, the more advanced (I should actually stress the word "educated") a species becomes the higher the ethical values of that given species are. Running a simulation like our world violates even my lower-being ethics.

How many different advanced, intelligent species does your sample contain?

e.) there is no logical motive to undertake such a painstaking quest to build a real-life simulation

The Sims? Second Life? World of Warcraft? Star Wars Galaxies?

#32 basho

• 774 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:26 PM

Its possible we could be in an accidental simulation. A side effect of some other computational process. For example, given some method of computation (quantum computation?) that could grow without bounds (from our perspective), we could theorize a bug in the external program that caused an infinite loop resulting in the same elementary operation to be repeated infinitely over and over, consuming more and more resources (remember, from our perspective, not the external perspective), possibly in parallel, we might experience it as a big bang some time in the distant past.

The external entities responsible for the bug may not even know we exist.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#33 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:38 PM

I think that the simulation argument is rather illogical and tends to be a philosophical specualtion which has its roots in unexplored and yet unproven territories.

Why I think it's nonsense:

a.) the computational power to run a real-life universe simulation would require unimaginable resources and, if I may add, room (on condition the simulation simulates every elementary particle in the universe plus quantum phenomenon) because the "computer" would be forced to engrasp the universe it resides but that is unfortunately a paradox

b.) unless the future humans are complete morons in economics, they should understand that if they wished to run any tests or experiments, a non-simulated world would be greatly more cost-efficient (for example create a supercomputer that solves every given problem). Personally I can't imagine any scenario which would entail running an experiment in a simulation (such as our world) to "find anything out".

c.) the homo sapiens is likely incapable of ever creating an exact form of itself in a digital form, first because it's empirically and practically impossible to correlate neuronal phenomenon to actual thoughts and feelings which renders the possibility of ever creating an humanlike AI futile.

d.) history has shown, the more advanced (I should actually stress the word "educated") a species becomes the higher the ethical values of that given species are. Running a simulation like our world violates even my lower-being ethics.

e.) there is no logical motive to undertake such a painstaking quest to build a real-life simulation

Feel free to object.

a) Perhaps, but perhaps not. Bostrom makes a plausible argument (3rd section) as well as many other places that describe the computational requirements for simulating a universe, most assuming quantum computational power, as manageable at some future point. (also note, Bostrom's isn't the only theory, there are several others). Also, who is to say that the simulation we might be living in (or might create) has to be the same size as the original? That is not stated as a requirement. This type of argument in general strikes me as the same type of argument as the people who say a brain can never analyze itself to the point of fully understanding itself. I think that we will eventually be able to simulate entire human brains to the point of individual neurons, and so that argument seems illogical to me.

b) There are a lot of things now that are simulated (atomic bomb explosions, galaxy interactions, car durability testing, etc. etc.). They are all far cheaper to do in simulation form than in real life. As the cost of computing falls, it will only increase the amount of things that are simulatable. (some have stated that it will be a great way to find new drugs when we can simulate the entire human body and the drugs interactions on it) We find tons of things out now using simulations, with even more on the horizon. To say this will stop at some point in the future is illogical. (to me at least)

c) We have models that are good now, but in the future it should not be any problem to simulate a human body, mind, etc. You are arguing against a human level AI in this argument, and I suppose this is just a matter of opinion, but I would suppose the majority of people on this site (many of who work in AI fields attempting to create AGI) would disagree with you on this point.

d) Again, to place our morals on another species is disingenuous. You are stating that those that run a simulation must necessarily be like the traditional "all good" view of "God". To place our moral framework on those that are necessarily much more advanced is not something we can do. To say that when we get to the point of being able to run such simulations that we won't allow ourselves to run accurate simulations just out of some sense of "moral obligation" is a bit illogical to me as well.

e) Why do we simulate the universe now on supercomputers? The logical motive is to see how things work, and to indulge our curiosity. To say we will at some point get tired of learning new things and expanding what we know is illogical.

Edited by Live Forever, 15 May 2007 - 10:02 PM.

#34 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:39 PM

Well, basho got to a lot of the same points before I could, but I hit on some others as well.

#35 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:56 PM

Its possible we could be in an accidental simulation.  A side effect of some other computational process.  For example, given some method of computation (quantum computation?) that could grow without bounds (from our perspective), we could theorize a bug in the external program that caused an infinite loop resulting in the same elementary operation to be repeated infinitely over and over, consuming more and more resources (remember, from our perspective, not the external perspective), possibly in parallel, we might experience it as a big bang some time in the distant past.

So, IOW, you're saying we could be the result of a glitch in God's laptop. [lol]

#36 basho

• 774 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 10:10 PM

Its possible we could be in an accidental simulation.  A side effect of some other computational process.  For example, given some method of computation (quantum computation?) that could grow without bounds (from our perspective), we could theorize a bug in the external program that caused an infinite loop resulting in the same elementary operation to be repeated infinitely over and over, consuming more and more resources (remember, from our perspective, not the external perspective), possibly in parallel, we might experience it as a big bang some time in the distant past.

So, IOW, you're saying we could be the result of a glitch in God's laptop. [lol]

We could be in for one hell of a big Blue Screen of Death.

#37 ikaros

• 334 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 11:14 AM

I'll first adress basho's arguments:

a.)

Only if you are running the simulation within the same simulation, trying to reproduce the environment with the same fidelity.

Concurred. Smaller than the actual universe's simulations are conceivable.

b.)

We already run simulations because they are far more cost efficient or safe. Car crash testing for example... its far cheaper to crash thousands of simulated cars. And nuclear weapon testing is safer in simulation. And then there are things like simulations of supernova. I'd prefer a simulation in such a case.

Here we are talking about totally different kinds of simulations. And actually with your examples you prove exactly what I'm trying to say. I was implying to a simulation which would simulate every aspect of reality. The simulations you present simulate only a minute fraction of actual reality (e.g. car safety tests). Cost-efficiency would refer to the ridiculousness of creating a simulation which contains unnecessary aspects of reality when trying to run tests within a narrow topic.

c.)

Thoughts and feelings have been empirically and practically correlated with the neuronal underpinnings. For example, during brain surgery, poking and stimulating different parts of the brain elicits very specific memories and feelings from the patient.

That is only a very small portion of correlating neuronal events with actual cognition. The events which take place inside the brain and give rise to consciousness occur so fast (millions of events per milliseconds) that asking a person what did you think time t1 and then matching the description given by that person to the neuronal events observed during time t1 in practice is virtually infeasible. First of all because we ourselves are never aware what exactly gave rise to the thoughts experienced and what EXACTLY was the milieu we were feeling at that time t1. Every passing moment of consciousness carries enormous amounts of information (even though we are not always aware of that) and after every passing moment the information becomes more and more distorted (because of memory), so that correlation feat becomes tremendously difficult (and if I may say in practice, impossible).

d.)

How many different advanced, intelligent species does your sample contain?

Ok, my bad, I should have used the word "individuals" instead of species. You got me there.

e.)

The Sims? Second Life? World of Warcraft? Star Wars Galaxies?

Games would not require creating all aspects of our observed reality, but yes that is rather a matter of question when we would debate whether our current reality is simulated or not.

Live Forever's post:

a) Perhaps, but perhaps not. Bostrom makes a plausible argument (3rd section) as well as many other places that describe the computational requirements for simulating a universe, most assuming quantum computational power, as manageable at some future point. (also note, Bostrom's isn't the only theory, there are several others). Also, who is to say that the simulation we might be living in (or might create) has to be the same size as the original? That is not stated as a requirement. This type of argument in general strikes me as the same type of argument as the people who say a brain can never analyze itself to the point of fully understanding itself. I think that we will eventually be able to simulate entire human brains to the point of individual neurons, and so that argument seems illogical to me.

Mostly agree, but then again my view is that the brain cannot analyze itself to the bone, so to say. I explained my supposition above. And because it seems illogical to you does not make it illogical in reality.

b) There are a lot of things now that are simulated (atomic bomb explosions, galaxy interactions, car durability testing, etc. etc.). They are all far cheaper to do in simulation form than in real life. As the cost of computing falls, it will only increase the amount of things that are simulatable. (some have stated that it will be a great way to find new drugs when we can simulate the entire human body and the drugs interactions on it) We find tons of things out now using simulations, with even more on the horizon. To say this will stop at some point in the future is illogical. (to me at least)

Like basho's and your simulations concern only certain aspects of reality which would be productive to simulate.

c) We have models that are good now, but in the future it should not be any problem to simulate a human body, mind, etc. You are arguing against a human level AI in this argument, and I suppose this is just a matter of opinion, but I would suppose the majority of people on this site (many of who work in AI fields attempting to create AGI) would disagree with you on this point.

Yes, I do not share the view that (exact) humanlike AI is possible. I have my reasons.

d) Again, to place our morals on another species is disingenuous. You are stating that those that run a simulation must necessarily be like the traditional "all good" view of "God". To place our moral framework on those that are necessarily much more advanced is not something we can do. To say that when we get to the point of being able to run such simulations that we won't allow ourselves to run accurate simulations just out of some sense of "moral obligation" is a bit illogical to me as well.

Again I was following a little different train of thought. Technology itself does not make anyone moral or "good", but the very fact that one would create a real-life simulation entails that very someone knows practically everything about life, evolution, consciousness etc. Why to me this generates moral and ethical paradox is because it would contradict such a being's "empathy". If you program things like death and suffering and in a way that we can observe those phenomenon in our world, would mean that the being must understand what it means to suffer (in order to realistically simulate it). This awareness leads to the very basic building blocks of empathy which is "knowing/feeling what the other finds unpleasant". Unless the creator of the simulation is a sadistical psychological mess (and I can't imagine that a being with distorted psychology would be capable of creating a realistical representation of an objective reality), then it would very logically find creating a simulation like our world, a very sick idea.

e) Why do we simulate the universe now on supercomputers? The logical motive is to see how things work, and to indulge our curiosity. To say we will at some point get tired of learning new things and expanding what we know is illogical.

In my opinion even curiosity knows its limits. Even though I'm interested what my neighbour next-door is doing in his/her house, I won't go placing videocameras into his/her house to satisfy my curiosity (although I can imagine some people could do that, but creating a simulation would be a collective effort and thus makes it improbable).

Edited by ikaros, 16 May 2007 - 11:30 AM.

#38 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 03:57 PM

I will respond to the ones directed at me, as I wouldn't hazard to try to respond for basho.

Mostly agree, but then again my view is that the brain cannot analyze itself to the bone, so to say. I explained my supposition above. And because it seems illogical to you does not make it illogical in reality.

Wow, I am surprised that anyone ever mostly agrees with anything I have to say. :)) (step in the right direction, I suppose) I of course concur that something that seems illogical to me might be logical to others. (as evidenced in the roundy round discussions I am always getting into in the religion forum with the fundies) That said, I think (and I think most in the AGI field would think) that the brain will be able to one day analyze itself in as much detail as anyone would care to. (time frames of course differ, but just about everyone agrees it should be possible "some day", as long as we don't blow up the planet first) In any event, out of the three things I said (1. the simulation could/should be possible computationally, 2. the simulation doesn't need to be as big as the "host" simulation, and 3. the brain thing, which was more of an example, and not a main point) if there was only the one minor objection, I am pleased.

Like basho's and your simulations concern only certain aspects of reality which would be productive to simulate.

Naturally. Your original statement was:

Which is what we were addressing. You invoked economics (which is always a dangerous thing to do) and the way that it was worded with tests and experiments, it read as if you meant any simulation whatsoever to test anything. If you only mean simulating the entire universe, well of course people wouldn't do that to test the strength of a Tupperware container or whatever. That goes without saying. There are other reasons to simulate entire universes. (or societies or anything else) Those have all been innumerated, so I will not do so again.

Yes, I do not share the view that (exact) humanlike AI is possible. I have my reasons.

Well, I can completely understand that if you think human-level AI is not possible then you would not think simulations are possible, seeing as how they are a few orders of magnitude harder to accomplish. I would say that your wording of "(exact) humanlike AI" is a bit deceptive though. I was stating human-level AI, which would eventually progress to much smarter AI. (generally called "the Singularity") I have no idea whatsoever what you think on the subject, but I will assume you do not think drastically smarter than human AI will ever exist, because if you did, I would assume that you would see that there would be no problem for these drastically smarter AIs to exactly replicate "humanlike AI" (as you put it). In any event, that is a lot of assuming on my part, which generally gets me into trouble, so I will stop now.

Again I was following a little different train of thought. Technology itself does not make anyone moral or "good", but the very fact that one would create a real-life simulation entails that very someone knows practically everything about life, evolution, consciousness etc. Why to me this generates moral and ethical paradox is because it would contradict such a being's "empathy". If you program things like death and suffering and in a way that we can observe those phenomenon in our world, would mean that the being must understand what it means to suffer (in order to realistically simulate it). This awareness leads to the very basic building blocks of empathy which is "knowing/feeling what the other finds unpleasant". Unless the creator of the simulation is a sadistical psychological mess (and I can't imagine that a being with distorted psychology would be capable of creating a realistical representation of an objective reality), then it would very logically find creating a simulation like our world, a very sick idea.

It seems sick to you, but it does not seem sick to me to simulate reality. (actually, a wide variety of possible realities would even be better) The very fact that we disagree shows that there is not a cut and dry "moral" answer to this. Also, that is even discounting the fact that different segments of the population (depending on lots of different factors) have different moral frameworks than others. Even further (3rd point, for anyone counting), the amount of advancement (and I would say intelligence, although with your disapproval of the notion of superior AIs, I am fairly certain you would disagree, but I digress), the distance between us and such a superior species would be more than between, say mice and humans. For a mouse to try and cast his moral framework on me would be as ridiculous and me trying to cast my moral framework on such an advanced race.

In my opinion even curiosity knows its limits. Even though I'm interested what my neighbour next-door is doing in his/her house, I won't go placing videocameras into his/her house to satisfy my curiosity (although I can imagine some people could do that, but creating a simulation would be a collective effort and thus makes it improbable).

There is a difference between personal privacy and curiosity for knowledge and the human drive to explore. (even that being said, some people have videotaped each other and such, which proves my point that whatever can be done will be done, just not by you) Continually we have seen that supposed "moral" walls (going to the moon, eventually exploring other planets and further, cloning experimentation, human-animal hybrids, etc., etc.) have taken a back seat to the curiosity to explore. To say that that drive will some day come to an end, and the thirst for knowledge will be bound by some sense of "limits" is beyond my frame of reference.

#39 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 05:13 PM

I tend to disagree with the idea that simulations could stretch on ad infinitum. This assumes that the possible information/processing density of space is infinite. That does not appear to be the case in our own universe, and that's true even if the universe itself is infinite in it's spacial component as anything outside of the hubble distance may as well be in another universe anyway. This makes it possible for a very large number of nested simulations, but not infinite, and each one would have less possible information density than the previous.

Of course one can argue that the upper most tier (the real universe) does have infinite possible information density. But we have no data on this whatsoever.

#40 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 05:37 PM

While googling around on the subject, I found this old thread on the simulation argument, for anyone interested: http://www.imminst.o...f=67&t=3402&hl= (original post is the reasons against us living in a simulation, but there is some good discussion that ensues)

Also, another site, besides the Bostrom one mentioned earlier, is this site: http://www.simulism.org which is kind of like a limited Simulation argument wiki.

#41 roidjoe

• 118 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 06:29 PM

What does simulation actually mean?

Does it mean that someone creates a computer with a screen that projects everything so people can watch - as in the foolish example of nuclear test simulations as an affirmative of the simulation scenario?

Or does it mean there exists a galaxy within a galaxy? And then, why would it not just be the galaxy itself. Thus, what is the simulation? It's just matter in the universe. You cannot seperate yourselves from the universe, even if you are the "simulation." You are the universe! All that exists and all that will be.

No hocus pocus.

#42 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 06:35 PM

Does it mean that someone creates a computer with a screen that projects everything so people can watch - as in the foolish example of nuclear test simulations as an affirmative of the simulation scenario?

Or does it mean there exists a galaxy within a galaxy?  And then, why would it not just be the galaxy itself.  Thus, what is the simulation?  It's just matter in the universe.  You cannot seperate yourselves from the universe, even if you are the "simulation."  You are the universe!  All that exists and all that will be.

No hocus pocus.

Well, what a simulation actually is is one of the tricky things that comes about. As Don pointed out, our view of what a simulation actually is could be completely different than reality. (oh, and the nuclear test example was not "foolish" because it was not presented as an affirmative of this type of simulation, but instead a counterpoint to a very specific question asked about the economics of simulations in general) Of course, we can never know for sure if we are or aren't in a simulation unless those who are running the simulation choose to divulge themselves to us, but that does not mean we can not think about it philosophically. There are lots of things that we can't change one way or the other (in fact, most things) that we study or think about. :))

#43 roidjoe

• 118 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 06:38 PM

And further, how could you simulate consciousness, precisely, with less information than the universe you create it in? Take, for example, the current universe we reside in. If we wanted to replicate this universe in a computer program the program would have to be as big as this universe itself to replicate it - or it could not mimic consciousness. How would it function? It can only function as a replica, which would make it as large as this current universe. Are we just not energy? To simulate energy requires energy! Thus, a replica of this universe in this universe is an impossibility. It does not, however, leave out the possibility that this universe is a simulation in a much different universe - however, but this also means that, back to my original point, we are then not even seperate from that universe. We are not a simulation, we are that universe.

#44 roidjoe

• 118 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 06:46 PM

Or does it mean there exists a galaxy within a galaxy?  And then, why would it not just be the galaxy itself.  Thus, what is the simulation?  It's just matter in the universe.  You cannot seperate yourselves from the universe, even if you are the "simulation."  You are the universe!  All that exists and all that will be.

No hocus pocus.

Well, what a simulation actually is is one of the tricky things that comes about. As Don pointed out, our view of what a simulation actually is could be completely different than reality. (oh, and the nuclear test example was not "foolish" because it was not presented as an affirmative of this type of simulation, but instead a counterpoint to a very specific question asked about the economics of simulations in general) Of course, we can never know for sure if we are or aren't in a simulation unless those who are running the simulation choose to divulge themselves to us, but that does not mean we can not think about it philosophically. There are lots of things that we can't change one way or the other (in fact, most things) that we study or think about. :))

Is it relevant if it is completely different than reality, and if so - what does that actually mean? It is a reality in and of itself. It is still part of that very universe, whether functioning in lieu of it or not.

#45 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 07:05 PM

No hocus pocus.

Is it relevant if it is completely different than reality, and if so - what does that actually mean? It is a reality in and of itself. It is still part of that very universe, whether functioning in lieu of it or not.

I of course concur. I of course think that "reality" to us is what we experience. We are unable to change it, and we are of course a part of the universe running the simulations. That is not the point. (well, maybe it is? It wasn't the point to me anyhow.) The original point was that the likelyhood of being in a simulation is actually much greater than not. (well, that or we won't be able to simulate in this manner in the future, see above)

#46 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 07:10 PM

And further, how could you simulate consciousness, precisely, with less information than the universe you create it in?  Take, for example, the current universe we reside in.  If we wanted to replicate this universe in a computer program the program would have to be as big as this universe itself to replicate it - or it could not mimic consciousness.  How would it function?  It can only function as a replica, which would make it as large as this current universe.  Are we just not energy?  To simulate energy requires energy!  Thus, a replica of this universe in this universe is an impossibility.  It does not, however, leave out the possibility that this universe is a simulation in a much different universe - however, but this also means that, back to my original point, we are then not even seperate from that universe.  We are not a simulation, we are that universe.

1) I am not completely convinced of this. As stated earlier, the use of quantum computing can overcome this hurdle (since in theory the quantum state is a likelihood of positions across many different universes).However, this is not required, as stated in the following;

2) Who is to say that the entire universe has to be simulated, what about, just all of human history?
From the Bostrom article:

We noted that a rough approximation of the computational power of a planetary-mass computer is 10^42 operations per second, and that assumes only already known nanotechnological designs, which are probably  far from optimal. A single such a computer could simulate the entire mental history of humankind (call this an ancestor-simulation) by using less than one millionth of its processing power for one second. A posthuman civilization may eventually build an astronomical number of such computers. We can conclude that the computing power available to a posthuman civilization is sufficient to run a huge number of ancestor-simulations even it allocates only a minute fraction of its resources to that purpose. We can draw this conclusion even while leaving a substantial  margin of error in all our estimates.

That is a quite astounding observation, imo. To say that all of the mental history of humankind can be simulated in less than a second using less than one millionth of a computer using only already known design principles (which will surely not be optimal) is quite astounding. (at least to me, but perhaps I am easily astounded :)))

3) From the wikipedia article:

A computer simulation would be limited to the processing power of its host computer, and so there may be aspects of the simulation that are not computed at a fine-grained (e.g. subatomic) level. This might show up as a limitation on the accuracy of information that can be obtained in particle physics.

However, this argument, like many others, assumes that accurate judgments about the simulating computer can be made from within the simulation. If we are being simulated, we might be misled about the nature of computers.

Taken one step further, the "fine grained" elements of our world could themselves be simulated since we never see the sub-atomic particles due to our inherent physical limitations. In order to see such particles we rely on other instruments which appear to magnify or translate that information into a format our limited senses are able to view: computer print out, lens of a microscope, etc. Therefore, we essentially take on faith that they're an accurate portrayal of the fine grained world which appears to exist in a realm beyond our natural senses. Assuming the sub-atomic could also be simulated then the processing power required to generate a realistic world would then be greatly reduced.

In other words, the subatomic need not be fully simulated, and only projected to the subjects when warranted. (or, for that matter, the individual planets in other galaxies, etc.)

4) As stated, the universe running the simulation could be very different than the one being simulated. No one has stated that as a requirement.

I will state again, that I would highly recommend reading through some of the articles at http://www.simulation-argument.com/ Some of you guys seem to be bringing up stuff that is answered more thoroughly than I could ever do there.

#47 cyborgdreamer

• 735 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 07:14 PM

And further, how could you simulate consciousness, precisely, with less information than the universe you create it in?  Take, for example, the current universe we reside in.  If we wanted to replicate this universe in a computer program the program would have to be as big as this universe itself to replicate it - or it could not mimic consciousness.

I don't see why you'd need all of the information in the universe to simulate consciousness. At most, you would only need to replicate all of the information in the human brain. You could get by with even less if individual quantum events don't contribute to consciousness.

#48 roidjoe

• 118 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 07:24 PM

Our consciousness is a product of the universe, which included the human body and mind. Now, further, I would assume there to exist greater consciousness that exists outside of our minds, a collective conscious per say. So, what may seem like a simple solution, "we are but our minds" is a tad more complex than that. Everything is interconnected and missing a piece, the puzzle is not solved. Without everything that creates us, all of our atoms, etc - we would not be as we are now. Can you entertain, for me, an example of what you would consider a replica, or an "simulation" of a human being in a computer? And, further, without every single cell that makes that human being, would it be a simulation or would it just be something entirely different?

That being said is this thread not about this world being a simulation? I was pointing out that creating a simulation of this world, in this world, might be an impossibility. If yourd my post again I entertained the idea that this world is a simulation in a much different world - but i think further investigation is trivial and absurd.

#49 ikaros

• 334 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 07:34 PM

It seems sick to you, but it does not seem sick to me to simulate reality. (actually, a wide variety of possible realities would even be better) The very fact that we disagree shows that there is not a cut and dry "moral" answer to this. Also, that is even discounting the fact that different segments of the population (depending on lots of different factors) have different moral frameworks than others. Even further (3rd point, for anyone counting), the amount of advancement (and I would say intelligence, although with your disapproval of the notion of superior AIs, I am fairly certain you would disagree, but I digress), the distance between us and such a superior species would be more than between, say mice and humans. For a mouse to try and cast his moral framework on me would be as ridiculous and me trying to cast my moral framework on such an advanced race.

I think I didn't communicate myself clearly enough. What I meant to say was that expanded knowledge presupposes empathy which leads to morality etc. I would be even bold enough to say that this would be a property of no matter what form of higher consciousness (higher i.e. possessing language and not belonging to the animal kingdom characterised by instincts). And thus the endeavour to create a simulation which has conscious beings experiencing nasty events like war, disease etc would be to that higher being an immoral act, because in order to program those negative phenomena it would require the creator to understand what it means to suffer. And if it (let's call it "it") still continues with the simulation would imply that it's head is not in the right place or it's inner mental world is somehow denatured. To me this latter presupposition clearly dictates that it is highly unlikely that such being could manage to create a correctly operating universe.
And a mouse and a homo sapiens is not a good analogy IMO, one possesses cognition the other is run by instincts. What exactly to you imagine by superior species? I think the human cognition is pretty perfect already (if we are not counting the possibly improvable areas like memory, reaction, processing speed and other mental feats), so by what could a mind of a superior species be characterised? I for one, in this instance, can't think out of the box on this matter.

There is a difference between personal privacy and curiosity for knowledge and the human drive to explore. (even that being said, some people have videotaped each other and such, which proves my point that whatever can be done will be done, just not by you) Continually we have seen that supposed "moral" walls (going to the moon, eventually exploring other planets and further, cloning experimentation, human-animal hybrids, etc., etc.) have taken a back seat to the curiosity to explore. To say that that drive will some day come to an end, and the thirst for knowledge will be bound by some sense of "limits" is beyond my frame of reference.

Can you imagine that one day murder would be legalized so that everyone could satisfy their curiosity to find out "how it exactly feels like it"?

#50 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 07:35 PM

Our consciousness is a product of the universe, which included the human body and mind.  Now, further, I would assume there to exist greater consciousness that exists outside of our minds, a collective conscious per say.  So, what may seem like a simple solution, "we are but our minds" is a tad more complex than that.  Everything is interconnected and missing a piece, the puzzle is not solved.  Without everything that creates us, all of our atoms, etc - we would not be as we are now.  Can you entertain, for me, an example of what you would consider a replica, or an "simulation" of a human being in a computer?  And, further, without every single cell that makes that human being, would it be a simulation or would it just be something entirely different?

I don't know what you would consider it. The point is it could be all of us, so whatever you consider us, then that will answer your question. Define what you consider yourself, and you will have my answer to these, because there is no way to prove either way on the subatomic particles or galaxies far away. We rely on instruments to show us these, and the simulation could selectively show us this. (which has been stated 3 or 4 different ways now, by not just me, I don't know how I can state it any differently if you still do not understand, I apologize)

That being said is this thread not about this world being a simulation?

Yep, that is why I showed why (in theory at least), others have shown how a simulation of entire human history is not only attainable, but for a very small fraction of resources. (less than one second using less than one millionth of the computing resources, on a less than optimal computer)

I was pointing out that creating a simulation of this world, in this world, might be an impossibility.

...and I was pointing out how it was possible as an argument to that.

If yourd my post again I entertained the idea that this world is a simulation in a much different world - but i think further investigation is trivial and absurd.

I did read it, which is why I responded like I did and in the way I did. (if I hadn't read it, I of course would have responded differently) I was pointing out other ways besides that in which it is doable, and pointing out that even if it is a world much different than ours that it is not trivial and absurd. (in other words, responded to both parts of your argument)

#51 roidjoe

• 118 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 07:42 PM

And it would not be relevant if it was a simulation, because you are not a different universe - you are that very same universe!

#52 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 07:56 PM

I think I didn't communicate myself clearly enough. What I meant to say was that expanded knowledge presupposes empathy which leads to morality etc. I would be even bold enough to say that this would be a property of no matter what form of higher consciousness (higher i.e. possessing language and not belonging to the animal kingdom characterised by instincts). And thus the endeavour to create a simulation which has conscious beings experiencing nasty events like war, disease etc would be to that higher being an immoral act, because in order to program those negative phenomena it would require the creator to understand what it means to suffer. And if it (let's call it "it") still continues with the simulation would imply that it's head is not in the right place or it's inner mental world is somehow denatured. To me this latter presupposition clearly dictates that it is highly unlikely that such being could manage to create a correctly operating universe.

That is a lot of suppositions and presuppositions, haha. I, of course, can not answer to you what a sufficiently advanced species would do because to be able to do so would mean I would be said sufficiently advanced species. It just seems as though you are assuming parts of their nature that are not indeed things that we can assume. We have no knowledge one way or the other on what they believe morally. To cast our morals on them is not something that I feel comfortable doing. I can see how you might think that they wouldn't allow suffering, but to say that would mean that they constrain themselves to only certain things, and don't allow "true" simulations as it were. Perhaps they feel that allowing beings to experience existence is in and of itself moral enough. I have no idea what they believe or don't believe. (and that is the point) Also, there could be segments of their population that think as you think they will and segments that don't (dissenters). We just have no way to tell either way, and we will never know for sure.

And a mouse and a homo sapiens is not a good analogy IMO, one possesses cognition the other is run by instincts. What exactly to you imagine by superior species? I think the human cognition is pretty perfect already (if we are not counting the possibly improvable areas like memory, reaction, processing speed and other mental feats), so what could a mind of a superior species be characterised by? I for one in this instance can't think out of the box on this matter.

Well, I was thinking about intelligence. (yes, I realize you might not believe simulating self improving AI is possible, but that was the framework from which I was working) Of the things I have read on the Singularity, as it relates to self improving AI (by Eliezer Yudkowsky and others) it seems as though once an AI is able to rewrite its own code, then intelligence growth will be exponential. Forget the difference between the mental capacity of a mouse compared to a human, it will be greater (by billions of orders of magnitude) greater than what an single celled organism's "mental capacity" (yes, I realize they don't have "minds", but this is just an example of the difference) to a human. Even though I was going on intelligence, you can perhaps see it as a societal advancement as well. We are much more advanced than 200 years ago, and progress just increases exponentially as we go, so in a couple thousand years, where should we be? (even laying aside the Singularity, or intelligence increases) I don't know what these types of individuals would be made up of, which is why I used the mouse (or single celled organism) analogy. There is no way to know, because if we knew, we would necessarily be those advanced civilizations. (or at least on the verge of being them) I can speculate about the types of things that they might be able to do, but nothing more fanciful than you could come up with I am sure. :))

Could you imagine that one day murder would be legalized so that everyone could satisfy their curiosity to find out "how it exactly feels like it"?

I can imagine that some day a totally immersive video game (or "simulation") would be available which allowed (or required as part of the strategy) killing others, or murdering others. (look at FPS games nowadays and extrapolate; it isn't that far out to think of I don't believe) Now, I doubt that killing actual intelligences would be allowed, but that wasn't your question. You could experience killing someone without ever actually killing someone. (you could even program it in that you wanted to forget that you were in a game while in the game, so it would be essentially real to you in every way imaginable) Now this is just speculation, and I don't really know what you were getting at with the question, but yes, I think anything that you have a curiosity about could (in theory) be available in forms which did not hurt anyone.

#53 ikaros

• 334 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 08:55 PM

It seems the debate is filled with too many unprovable suppositions. I still hold my views that it's unlikely a future civilization would undertake the mission to build a real-life simulation. There are too many obstacles IMO, in theory yes everything could be surpassed, but in reality somethings will be left unknown, like the Uncertainty principle which limits our omniawareness.

#54 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 09:08 PM

It seems the debate is filled with too many unprovable suppositions. I still hold my views that it's unlikely a future civilization would undertake the mission to build a real-life simulation. There are too many obstacles IMO, in theory yes everything could be surpassed, but in reality somethings will be left unknown, like the Uncertainty principle which limits our omniawareness.

This is true. The only way we will know for sure if it is possible to run a simulation is to actually run one. Unfortunately, we will probably be waiting awhile for the types of simulations we are describing. That isn't to say that limited simulations (for instance, simulate an island with like 50 people on it, or an immersive environment in which we can interact with each other, any of a number of things), couldn't take place in the mean time. These will most likely first come about in reference to gaming, or personal fulfillments of people's desires, which could be way cool in and of themselves.

The point of the original digression was the 3 Bostrom scenarios:

(1) the human species is very likely to go extinct before reaching a “posthuman” stage; (2) any posthuman civilization is extremely unlikely to run a significant number of simulations of their evolutionary history (or variations thereof); (3) we are almost certainly living in a computer simulation.

Of which I condensed 1 and 2 together (perhaps mistakenly) and said that either it is either 1) very unlikely that we will be able to create such simulations (or unwilling to do so), or 2) almost a certainty that we are living in such a simulation. There is no middle ground, and I can see how one might give more credibility to the first one rather than the second, but I feel that some day (assuming we don't blow ourselves up) it will be possible.

#55 dimasok

• 193 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 02:17 PM

Assuming it is correct, the inevitable questions that had plagued cosmology for centuries still remain intact: where did the first simulation come from (as in, the first civilization) and why is it a simulation in the first place? Is there anything that can truly address them?

#56 JohnDoe1234

• 1,097 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 04:25 PM

When you say "The first civilization" Are you meaning, the first group of beings who started the first simulation (perhaps our universe)?

If so... yeah, it really doesn't solve anything does it? That is kind of weird to ponder... [mellow]

#57 dimasok

• 193 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 04:28 PM

Hehe precisely. The Why and How questions (and the latter by the way is supposed to be addressed by science) never seem to be complete... may be it's impossible to solve at all?

#58 Kalepha

• 1,140 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 05:04 PM

may be it's impossible to solve at all?

Personally, I think, 'So what?'

The Why and How questions (and the latter by the way is supposed to be addressed by science) never seem to be complete...

I note aside that the why-how distinction can be unhelpful if it obscures how best to answer to why when we have to choose. Unfortunately, that isn't a problem if one is, perhaps in several ways, underprivileged and doesn't perceive choices.

Edited by eirenicon, 26 May 2007 - 05:18 PM.

#59 dimasok

• 193 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 05:16 PM

I agree. Of course we can proceed without knowing the answer to these questions, but i just wanted to point out that they are unanswerable in principle unless we suppose after the singularity, some sort of superintelligence will be able to figure them out... the why-how-meaning of life distinction.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#60 Kalepha

• 1,140 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 06:51 PM

If it's unanswerable in principle, perhaps this also applies to superintelligence. But the good aspect of superintelligence does reflect the good aspect of the why-how distinction. If you give yourself more credit and are less inclined to be an eliminativist (what suicidal scientists wish you were), handling the why is trivial and possibly profound, with and without superintelligence. What remains is forever developing better ways to meet the how.

In my view, trying to relate mind-independent purpose and superintelligence can solve very little, like only if one wants damning sentence expressions (which tend to have virtually no how content, but this isn't aimed at you).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users